PDA

View Full Version : The cheaters figure 8

eadwine
April 13th, 2008, 05:40 AM
I've been fussing with my hair all day already, and now I have even made another video!

I can do the figure 8 but it is extremely tight to do, and I can only do it on misted hair or it comes loose. I really need BSL (+2 inches) to do this one with ease the official way. But I wouldn't be me if I would accept that now! Too short for this bun, too short for that bun, bleep bleep with that too short! :lol: So.. I started messing about.

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/8688/fig8cheatrf6.th.jpg (http://img510.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fig8cheatrf6.jpg)

The trick is (instead of making two turns and then flipping the first one up and securing) to flip the first coil up right away and THEN making the second coil. Lift the first one and pull the ends under, and then secure the usual way.

Of course images speak louder than words, so.. here is the video: movie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E3_m1yWsCg).

I have added this to the articles section, hopefully it will be approved :)

Isilya
April 13th, 2008, 05:47 AM
That's really clever of you!
I'm going to try this once my hair has dried. I'm past BSL (actually, I'm an inch from waist), but my ends never cooperate, so maybe they will when I do it like this. I will report back after my attempt :)

Hypnotica
April 13th, 2008, 05:49 AM
*nods*

This is how I do my figure 8.

eadwine
April 13th, 2008, 05:49 AM
Yes! I hope this one will work out for you!!

Hypnotica: nifty! I am so glad this way works!

Patrycja
April 13th, 2008, 07:48 AM
I don't have the length yet to try it but I wanted to compliment you on your fantastic shine.Wow!

eadwine
April 13th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Not the length yet? Your hair is longer than mine by the looks :)

Thanks!

Isilya
April 13th, 2008, 08:14 AM
It worked! Yey :cheer:
The ends slipped out after a few minutes, but I washed my hair this morning so I blame that, plus I hadn't secured them. So next time I will pin them down (which will be easier to do now that I have extra length, compared to the regular one) and I will have the perfect 8 (or so I hope :))
Thank you :flowers:

eadwine
April 13th, 2008, 08:19 AM
It worked! Yey :cheer:
The ends slipped out after a few minutes, but I washed my hair this morning so I blame that, plus I hadn't secured them. So next time I will pin them down (which will be easier to do now that I have extra length, compared to the regular one) and I will have the perfect 8 (or so I hope :))
Thank you :flowers:

That is great, congratulations! :D

Freshly washed hair can be tricky! I always mist the ends a bit so they stay secure where they are :)

Isilya
April 13th, 2008, 08:25 AM
That is great, congratulations! :D

Freshly washed hair can be tricky! I always mist the ends a bit so they stay secure where they are :)

Thank you, thank you *takes a bow*
I will try misting my ends next time. And apply some AVG. Water, gel and pins will surely make them behave. Or else... :patrol:

eadwine
April 13th, 2008, 08:37 AM
:lol: Love that smiley!

Do take and share pics of it :)

Isilya
April 13th, 2008, 08:40 AM
The moment I can take a nice picture of the back of my head (which basically means: no white light ruining the entire photo.), I sure will.

PatGear
April 13th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Looks good. Structurally, though, to me it looks like an orchid bun rather than a figure-8.

eadwine
April 13th, 2008, 01:44 PM
It can pass for an 8 till we shorties can do a proper 8 though ;) *giggle*

Isilya
April 13th, 2008, 01:50 PM
It can pass for an 8 till we shorties can do a proper 8 though ;) *giggle*

That, and I can't get a real orchid bun to work. So I'll fake them both with the same updo. I like the idea :D

eadwine
April 13th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Yeah, depending who asks we will tell which kind ;) :lol:

Jeni
April 13th, 2008, 03:20 PM
That is weird y'all cant do a figure 8, I managed to make one yesterday, and my hair is shorter then yall's. Maybe because my hair is thinner (and stick straight)? It was rather flat, but then all my buns are kind of on the flat side... I think it's a figure 8, it looks like it. Hummmmm. I like your "fake" figure 8, maybe I'll try that, see if I can get more "oomph" in the back

Jeni

HeatherAngela
April 13th, 2008, 04:40 PM
That's neat, I'll have to try it that way.

However, I just have to ask, which way does everyone twist their buns? I twist mine the opposite direction of the video.

Jeni
April 13th, 2008, 04:44 PM
I twist mine clock wise, havent watched the video.

Jeni

zift
April 13th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Clever eadwine and looking lovely as well. But I wonder since you've made the bun quite low,isn't that stick uncomfortable with your neck. I mean how do you tilt your head back? I've always wanted to use sticks vertically but I cannot do higher buns so it wasn't an option for me.

CurlyNinja
April 13th, 2008, 05:42 PM
That's how I do mine too!

HeatherAngela
April 13th, 2008, 05:47 PM
I twist counter clockwise, just the way I have always done it. It feels natural. I also feel more comfortable doing a french braid than a dutch braid although I can do either.

Curlsgirl
April 13th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Mine is 29 inches and I still have to do it this way usually. The thicker the hair the longer it needs to be of course. Anyway, I find the way you say Eadwine to be much easier for me to do and I can also tuck the ends in more easily and in the place I want them to be. I am glad you discovered it! I was just playing around one day I figured it out too!

SweetPea88
April 13th, 2008, 07:38 PM
I can't wait to try this! I'm still unable to do a regular figure 8 and I'm almost at waist :(.

Thanks for the idea Eadwine! :)

aprilmay
April 13th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Looks great! I had some success with that style last week. eadwine, I am not sure what type of bun it is, but the one in my avatar you just grab your hair like you are going to put it in a ponytail and then twist the length of it and wrap it around the base then tuck the ends in. I can hold this style with just an elastic, but it looks sloppier. Best of luck with your hair styles and growing! :)

eadwine
April 14th, 2008, 12:21 AM
That is weird y'all cant do a figure 8, I managed to make one yesterday, and my hair is shorter then yall's. Maybe because my hair is thinner (and stick straight)? It was rather flat, but then all my buns are kind of on the flat side... I think it's a figure 8, it looks like it. Hummmmm. I like your "fake" figure 8, maybe I'll try that, see if I can get more "oomph" in the back

Jeni
You are an i/ii so I saw, thinner hairs can do the figure 8 much sooner :)

Clever eadwine and looking lovely as well. But I wonder since you've made the bun quite low,isn't that stick uncomfortable with your neck. I mean how do you tilt your head back? I've always wanted to use sticks vertically but I cannot do higher buns so it wasn't an option for me.
It is not at all uncomfortable in the neck, it doesn't stick against my head at all. I can tilt my head back just like any other human with it *giggle*

Mine is 29 inches and I still have to do it this way usually. The thicker the hair the longer it needs to be of course. Anyway, I find the way you say Eadwine to be much easier for me to do and I can also tuck the ends in more easily and in the place I want them to be. I am glad you discovered it! I was just playing around one day I figured it out too!
Yeah, you get irritated so quickly at the minimal number of buns that you can do. I cannot even do the cinnamon bun because of my slippery hair, so even THAT one is then taken out of the loop. You start experimenting :lol:

Looks great! I had some success with that style last week. eadwine, I am not sure what type of bun it is, but the one in my avatar you just grab your hair like you are going to put it in a ponytail and then twist the length of it and wrap it around the base then tuck the ends in. I can hold this style with just an elastic, but it looks sloppier. Best of luck with your hair styles and growing! :)
I doubt my hair will cooperate with that bun, seeing it is VERY slippery and won't even stay in a cinnabun! Looks cool though! :)

Thanks all!!

Miss Murphy
April 14th, 2008, 01:01 AM
Wow, that's great! Doesn't work for me though. My hair should be the same length as yours, and the same thickness, but for whatever reason, I can't get this to work.

But that just means more practising for me ;)

Jeni
April 14th, 2008, 02:09 AM
You are an i/ii so I saw, thinner hairs can do the figure 8 much sooner
WOOOOO :cheese: It's about time having thin hair is useful. I'll try and remember this when I do a bun and it's tiny. :(

Jeni

florenonite
April 14th, 2008, 03:23 AM
Grrr, my hair's not long enough even for this one yet D:

eadwine
April 14th, 2008, 04:34 AM
Keep growing!! You'll get there. I know the frustration of not being able to do buns yet, so I know how that feels.

Maybe fiddlediddle and see if you can invent something new that DOES work for you? It's how I also came to my 10sec quick (killer)bun. :)

aprilmay
April 14th, 2008, 10:17 AM
I doubt my hair will cooperate with that bun, seeing it is VERY slippery and won't even stay in a cinnabun! Looks cool though! :)

Thanks all!!

eadwine, what is a cinnabun?

eadwine
April 14th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Cinnamon bun. :)

Isilya
April 18th, 2008, 07:30 AM
My first hair-pic on LHC :cheer::cheer::cheer:
It's held with a wooden hairfork (which is barely visible in the photo) and some pins (those are visible here :rolleyes:, but just ignore them).

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk38/Isilya86/th_PICT0027.jpg (http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk38/Isilya86/PICT0027.jpg)

Peggy E.
April 18th, 2008, 07:47 AM
Not the length yet? Your hair is longer than mine by the looks :)

Thanks!

eadwine, your hair looks much longer in the video, and it is GORGEOUS! I think this is one advantage to having the "fairy tale ends" rather than the nice, straight hemline - it's easier to get your hair to go into, and stay, in a bun or twist. The thick ends make this more difficult.

The biggest problem I have with the figure 8 and the infinity bun has to do with those fairy tale ends again. The first twisted roll is nice and thick, but when flipped over to make the "8" the remaining roll is thin and pathetic! So thin, in fact, I have a hard time securing the style.

I'm thinking that your method might help with this problem, too, and will give it a try later today when I take it down. Thanks for posting the video!

sahiba
April 18th, 2008, 08:22 AM
You always manage to facinate everybody ,edwine.Keep going on.

eadwine
April 18th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Aww you two.. thank you very much :)

Good luck Peggy E.!