PDA

View Full Version : I can't brush/comb my hair!

Patchouli
March 9th, 2008, 12:00 PM
After washing my hair I usually just leave it to dry naturally, but because it's so curly, if I try to brush it when it's dry I end up with a frizzy clown's hair style!
So I don't brush until I'm just about to wash my hair and because I only wash once a week at the most I end up with straw-like hair that's trying to lock itself!

Any advice? Please?!

eadwine
March 9th, 2008, 12:04 PM
How about fingercombing? Or using a wide tooth comb?

Shanarana
March 9th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Do you use a conditioner? Having some good slip may help you comb through (wide tooth). I can have the same problem, but find that spraying my hair with a leave in condish helps me get my comb through.

jojo
March 9th, 2008, 12:32 PM
my hair is more wurly than curly and i find if i use a shower comb whist rinsing out the conditioner it gets all the tangles out perfectly.

funnybunny668
March 9th, 2008, 12:40 PM
I don't brush mine at all, it pulls all the wave/curl out.
Just finger-combing or using a wide-toothed shower comb in the shower to detangle while the conditioner is on is enough for me, and helps preserve the natural movement of my hair.

coppercurls
March 9th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Finger combing and a wide tooth comb in the shower are the only way I detangle.

Patchouli
March 9th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Thanks everyone :) I shall have to invest in a wide toothed comb then. It justs so knotty and frizzy... have to start using leave in conditioner aswell too.
Any recommendations? With the least amount of chemicals as possible!

eadwine
March 9th, 2008, 01:10 PM
You can also start on coconut oil deep treatments, leaving it in overnight. That and conditioner did WONDERS for my D(ear)H(oney)'s hair which was .. well.. a frizzpoof when he arrived here :lol:

Just_Isabel
March 9th, 2008, 01:11 PM
my hair is more wurly than curly and i find if i use a shower comb whist rinsing out the conditioner it gets all the tangles out perfectly.

I don't brush mine at all, it pulls all the wave/curl out.
Just finger-combing or using a wide-toothed shower comb in the shower to detangle while the conditioner is on is enough for me, and helps preserve the natural movement of my hair.

I have to agree with the PPs.

If you really want to detangle your hair between wash days, have you tried finger combing it and then spraying some water or water leave in / oil / whatever you like mix to "recurl" your hair?

Starr
March 9th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Finger combing and a wide tooth comb in the shower are the only way I detangle.

Ditto, and with a lot of conditioner as well. My hair won't tolerate detangling any other way.

UrbanEast
March 9th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Agree about combing it in the shower with a lot of conditioner on. The thing is, you need a conditioner with a lot of "slip" if you want to detangle. I like the Frederic Fekkai Shea Butter, but I'm sure there are cheaper versions.

Patchouli
March 9th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Thanks again guys, will make sure to condition when I wash from now on and great idea Just Isabel - thanks for that :)

Blueneko
March 9th, 2008, 05:24 PM
I only comb my hair after I rinse the conditioner. I never brush, and I only comb that one time on wash day.

nowxisxforever
March 9th, 2008, 05:27 PM
I'll suggest a water/oil spritz as well. Once your hair is dry, comb/brush it, then spritz it until it's damp again and let dry. :]