PDA

View Full Version : Blow Drying with the Cool Setting

HeatherJenae
July 24th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Okay, before I'm stoned to death for even mentioning blow drying, :D I want to say that I do it probably once a month when I'm in a super hurry. But I'm just wondering if doing it on the cool setting would have any adverse effect on the hair? I blow dry it only on cool, just to get some air flow up under the heavy hair to get it to separate and dry faster. Any thoughts?

demitasse
July 24th, 2009, 07:20 PM
I wouldn't think so. I do this a few days a week. It helps speed up air drying and makes it shinier. It's the heat from a blow dryer that's damaging. Just don't rip your fingers through your hair while you're doing it and you should be fine. I haven't seen any negative effects from it.

Themyst
July 24th, 2009, 07:21 PM
I blow dry my hair about two times a week. I just don't get my hair hot, I either put it on the hot setting and keep the dryer far away, or I use the warm setting and keep it closer.

spidermom
July 24th, 2009, 07:36 PM
I blow dry my hair on warm to cool anytime I feel like it (and have an hour to spare). No bad results that I can see. In fact, my hair comes out just lovely and smooth and tangle free.

Nyghtingale
July 24th, 2009, 07:39 PM
I do it if I am really in a hurry, too. Otherwise, I lay in bed in front of a fan, that can't be much different.

redneckprincess
July 24th, 2009, 07:44 PM
I sit under the celing fan if I need to have my hair dried faster

RancheroTheBee
July 24th, 2009, 08:05 PM
I do it. My blowdryer goes from hot (which isn't that hot), low (lukewarm) and cool (super cold). I keep it on low, and it ensures that my hair stays in place and I don't feel tempted to straighten the next morning.

Neoma
July 24th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Funny, I was thinking about this just this morning.

My blowdryer, which I've only used maybe twice since my hair reached shoulder length, doesn't have a real cool setting. Do they make a blowdryer with a real cool setting?

From time to time, I will sit in front of the fan. But I would dearly love to cut a little time off my morning routine. If I could find a blow dryer with a cool setting, I could do that.

krissykins
July 24th, 2009, 08:37 PM
I'm glad you asked this. I've been having blow dryer withdrawals, but am very afraid of more damage to my hair. Maybe I'll give this a shot. Thanks!

Shermie Girl
July 24th, 2009, 08:53 PM
I haul out my blow dryer when I am in a hurry or don't want to hit the sack with a wet head. I use low or medium heat (any setting that is softly warm and comfortable on my skin) and a low or medium fan speed. My hair dries in good time and it is so silky and smooth. I love how my hair looks and feels after it is blown dry. And using my dryer this way doesn't seem to hurt it. :D

Wicked Princess
July 24th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Thank you for asking this! I have been afraid to pick up any styling tool in the last month, and have been wanting to ask if anyone used a lower setting on their hair dryer.

It's nice to see that I wouldn't be alone if I were to blow dry my hair a couple times a week since I'm very busy in the mornings! :)

HeatherJenae
July 25th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Thanks for the great responses girls! I own a Conair 1875. It has a cool air button, which oddly enough, you can't just click, you have to hold it down the whole time you use it. It's really hard on the hand! It's like they don't want you to use it or don't think you'll be using it for that long. Super design flaw! Anyway, I know that cool air is supposed to set your style, so I figured I would just try and generally blow dry my hair from wet to dry with just the cool air. Report: No frizzies, no dry hair, no straw hair, little bit of tanglies from the airflow, dried much faster than regular air drying. Result! I think I'll do this more often. It helped it dry faster, I didn't feel like I was doing anything hurtful to my hair at all, and it helped me get a little volume under my hair. Love it! :) Now I just need to find a dryer where the damn button is clickable!

demitasse
July 25th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Thanks for the great responses girls! I own a Conair 1875. It has a cool air button, which oddly enough, you can't just click, you have to hold it down the whole time you use it. It's really hard on the hand! It's like they don't want you to use it or don't think you'll be using it for that long. Super design flaw!

Try taping it down. It won't look pretty but it will keep it pressed.

Elphie
July 25th, 2009, 08:05 AM
I have the same (or similarly designed) blowdryer. I use the warm setting and the cool setting when I need my hair to dry a bit quicker. I don't see any damage from using it carefully.

BlndeInDisguise
July 25th, 2009, 08:17 AM
I own a Conair 1875. It has a cool air button, which oddly enough, you can't just click, you have to hold it down the whole time you use it.

I have a Conair as well, and I think the design is really silly as well. My hand gets so tired from holding that button down. And it hard to hold down. :o

Delila
July 25th, 2009, 09:51 AM
To answer the OP's question:

I've tried blowdrying a few times since my hair got longer, for all the reasons mentioned here, but have decided not to bother with it most of the time because a) blowdrying seems to deprive my hair of what little body it has naturally, b) as my hair has gotten longer, tangles are a bigger problem. The longer my hair gets, the more prone to tangling, especially with a hair dryer.

HeatherJenae
July 25th, 2009, 12:19 PM
I just had a brainstorm. We should create a cool setting only blow dryer! :) I think we could become millionaires girls! I think I'll call it the "Cool Buddy"!

Neoma
July 25th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Inpired by this thread, I sat in front of a Vornado fan set on high this a.m. while I ate my breakfast. I fluffed and separated my hair from time to time. It was almost totally dry within 10 - 15 minutes, compared to 30 - 60 air dried. And my hair looks smooth and sleek, not at all frizzy and dried out.

I really would like to find a blow dryer with a real cool setting, not just a cold shot setting. If anyone finds one, please let us know!

amaiaisabella
July 25th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Neoma, my hair dryer has a cool option, and it's pretty cool (at least to me, I live in Florida, so cool is relative :p). I paid a fortune for the thing, discounted from when I worked in a hair salon, but I've had it over 3 years and it's still as good as new. I let my hair half dry, and then use it, but usually I get impatient and do only a few minutes combed through with my fingers, because it takes forever to dry with the cold air :)

prittykitty
July 25th, 2009, 01:16 PM
I have to blow dry mine or it will not be as smooth as I want it to be. I air dry mine until it is almost dry and then use the blow dryer to finish it off. My hair is still shoulder length and I am new here so I am still learning a lot. Someday I would like to be free from using any kind of blow dryer or other heat appliance.

HeatherJenae
July 25th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Oh I'm on a mission now Neoma! I'm going to find one if it kills me! :)

Neoma
July 25th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Neoma, my hair dryer has a cool option, and it's pretty cool (at least to me, I live in Florida, so cool is relative :p). I paid a fortune for the thing, discounted from when I worked in a hair salon, but I've had it over 3 years and it's still as good as new. I let my hair half dry, and then use it, but usually I get impatient and do only a few minutes combed through with my fingers, because it takes forever to dry with the cold air :)amaiaisabella, my dear friend, pray tell... What manner of hair dry dost thou have? Doth it have a name? :D

Oh I'm on a mission now Neoma! I'm going to find one if it kills me! :)Perhaps, HeatherJenae, amaiaisabella can help us on our quest. If not, let us join forces to find the perfect cool-air hair dryer! :flower:

Jemoiselle
July 25th, 2009, 04:10 PM
My hair hates the blowdryer, especially on the cold setting! It makes my hair frizzy and for some reason, extra dull looking. I think I am the exception here! My hair knows no blowdry compromise. Years ago, blowdrying on hot was the only thing that left it looking nice. Even air drying would make it look awful. Since those years gone by, all I do is air dry. I am afraid it would be like ruining a good diet with a huge frosting mountain of a cupcake with pink sprinkles, to go back to blowdrying. I am glad the cool setting works for so many of you! Thats really cool.

klcqtee
July 25th, 2009, 05:01 PM
I read somewhere that you should only blow dry it 90% dry. If any of hour hair feels completely dry, you should have stopped a few minutes ago! (excluding fringe, which naturally dries faster).

Of course, I believe this was in some kind of dumb beauty magazine. I would say this is a good rule to follow, even with a cool setting.

amaiaisabella
July 25th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Perhaps, HeatherJenae, amaiaisabella can help us on our quest. If not, let us join forces to find the perfect cool-air hair dryer! :flower:

Happy to help, darling :D It's called the Ionix Plus 3600. This was the dryer our salon used, so it helped me when I was training. Unfortunately, it seems to only be available on one site: http://www.hergenusa.com/proddetail.php?prod=IonixPlus3600. It's super pricey, like I said, but so, so, good. The red button you see controls the temperature: cool, warm, and hot. The black button has 3 settings for speed as well.

If you can't find this dryer, or really don't want to drop that kind of money, look for a dryer with similar buttons. I can attest to its goodness :D

manderly
July 25th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Meh. I just fried my hair today with the hottest setting, with the concentrator tip, and pressed right against my round brush. That is how I get my hair straight.

It's something I did every day for several years and my hair was damaged by it.

Now I do it once or twice a year. :D I don't worry so much about a little damage once and a while because I'm not going to extreme lengths like so many here. :) I'm just looking for pretty waist length hair and I want to be able to do things to it once and a while.

LadyLongLocks
July 25th, 2009, 09:36 PM
I blow dry my hair about two times a week. I just don't get my hair hot, I either put it on the hot setting and keep the dryer far away, or I use the warm setting and keep it closer.

I do the same! But I wash every 5-6 days. I dry for about 3-5 minutes and then take a break and come back. I have about 4-5 short sessions of drying and let the hair rest for 5 min in between. The dryer is warm and I can press a button for the heat to turn off and blow cool. I also use an ionic dryer which dries the hair faster.
I have been blow drying my hair since I was about 14 and I love it.
I really believe blow drying has HELPED my hair! It has not damaged it as far as I can tell. Just keep a far distance if it is hot or warm.I Finish off on cool and comb it until smooth and silky. Blow drying keeps my hair from getting tangles between washes.

Shermie Girl
July 25th, 2009, 10:42 PM
My blowfryer is a Conair Ion Shine 1875. The low setting is gently warm and the medium only a bit warmer. Both are comfortable on the skin on my face. I figure if it doesn't hurt my skin, it shouldn't hurt my hair. :)

I also dry in front of a fan from time to time, Neoma. Works really well. :D

CaityBear
July 25th, 2009, 11:14 PM
I don't blowdry my hair at all now, but I used to before just to speed up the drying process. My dryer has high and low I think, plus a cool button. So I would put it on the lowest setting and use the cool button.

And if you think of it, it's the HEAT that damages your hair. Plus doing it every day. Every now and then, on cool, should do no damage. Unless you rip your fingers or a comb through your hair.

Gilly
July 26th, 2009, 01:23 AM
I blow dry daily too, If I don't my hair looks dull and has no body, I only use the warm setting and hold it about 18 inches away at all times, it does not feel hot on my skin so I can't see it burning my hair.
Doing this give me shine and bounce and as my hair is still short I need to make it look as good as possible while keeping it under control!

Laylah
July 26th, 2009, 01:33 AM
For some reason my hair hates the blowdryer(fryer?) no matter what setting. It makes my hair frizzy, puffy, and dull to the point that no amount of oil or shea will make a difference. I'm happy with air drying :D

rogue_psyche
July 26th, 2009, 02:12 AM
I get really bad tangles from blow drying. I think it is a hair type thing, so you might not experience any adverse effects of blow drying on cool.

Neoma
July 26th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Happy to help, darling :D It's called the Ionix Plus 3600. This was the dryer our salon used, so it helped me when I was training. Unfortunately, it seems to only be available on one site: http://www.hergenusa.com/proddetail.php?prod=IonixPlus3600. It's super pricey, like I said, but so, so, good. The red button you see controls the temperature: cool, warm, and hot. The black button has 3 settings for speed as well.

If you can't find this dryer, or really don't want to drop that kind of money, look for a dryer with similar buttons. I can attest to its goodness :DThank you, amaiaisabella. :flowers: OMG, that is pricey. I understand having a blow dryer like that if you're a hair stylist, but I think I'll have to find a lower-priced model.

I also dry in front of a fan from time to time, Neoma. Works really well. :D
I'm getting hooked on sitting in front of the Vornado to dry my hair. :)

freckles
July 26th, 2009, 02:27 PM
So glad this question was asked. I never used to blowdry my hair, but ever since my boyfriend bought me a blowdryer about a year ago (because "you're the only girl I know who doesn't own one!") I get so many more unprompted compliments on my hair when it's blowdried that I've become a bit vain about it, blowdrying the majority of the times I wash. :o I'll definitely try on the cold setting and see if I still get that more volume-y, shiny look :)

blondekate
July 26th, 2009, 04:33 PM
I like the looks of that ionic blow dryer!

ButterCup02
July 26th, 2009, 07:23 PM
I cool air blow dry my hair about once/week :) I have the Conair IonShine 1875 and it has a cool air setting that you can just click it to and it stays. I just got it because my last blow dryer had the button you had to hold down and I was getting hand cramps! LOL!

SeaShell
July 26th, 2009, 09:10 PM
I sit under the celing fan if I need to have my hair dried faster

I do that too....I thought I was the only one!! :cheese:

Shermie Girl
July 26th, 2009, 09:17 PM
I cool air blow dry my hair about once/week :) I have the Conair IonShine 1875 and it has a cool air setting that you can just click it to and it stays. I just got it because my last blow dryer had the button you had to hold down and I was getting hand cramps! LOL!

My IonShine is an older model and has the cool shot button you have to hold down. I need to get one with a click button. :agree:

KiwiLiz
July 26th, 2009, 09:34 PM
I dry on the cold setting now that I bought a new hair dryer (woohoo), my old one didn't have a cold setting, or even varying heat levels... I accidently (really it was an accident) left it on the floor and my BF stepped on it cracked it, he was mortified, but I took it as an excuse to by a new one :D

So now I have a Philips Tresemme one, with a cool setting that stays down by it's self, and it's actually cold too :) it cost me $AU29. Woot.

Neoma
July 27th, 2009, 06:25 PM
I cool air blow dry my hair about once/week :) I have the Conair IonShine 1875 and it has a cool air setting that you can just click it to and it stays. I just got it because my last blow dryer had the button you had to hold down and I was getting hand cramps! LOL!Thank you, ButterCup. I just bookmarked that hairdryer on Amazon. When it's too cold to sit in front of the Vornado fan, I'll have to get one.

hanne jensen
December 8th, 2016, 11:22 AM
I just bought a new blow dryer as my old one is over 30 years old. The cool setting on it is very warm. My new blow dryer is ionic and is only a cool lukewarm at the lowest setting. I use the diffuser as my hair tangles very easily. I'm very happy for it as it's too cold now to have damp hair for hours. I bought my new blow dryer at Aldi.

lapushka
December 8th, 2016, 12:45 PM
I just bought a new blow dryer as my old one is over 30 years old. The cool setting on it is very warm. My new blow dryer is ionic and is only a cool lukewarm at the lowest setting. I use the diffuser as my hair tangles very easily. I'm very happy for it as it's too cold now to have damp hair for hours. I bought my new blow dryer at Aldi.

I have a spare one from Aldi too (+ diffuser), for only 10 euro.

My old one is ionic too, and it stays nice and warm (not hot enough to burn) on the second to cool setting. It's a Braun. I use that setting, otherwise my hair would not dry.

Happy blow drying!

Shiranshoku
December 8th, 2016, 02:00 PM
Lapushka, iirc you also have an oily scalp... Do you notice a difference in how long you can go between washes when you blowdry?

My SO recently offered to blowdry my hair on the coolest setting since it takes forever to dry. And for some reason, i could go an extra day between washes when he did. I wonder if the damp hair causes more sebum production.

Frankenstein
December 8th, 2016, 02:05 PM
I blow dried on cool for two months and didn't get any damage from it, that I noticed. I still occasionally do it when my hair isn't dry before bed, but using the low speed setting. It takes longer, but the high speed makes my hair tangle insanely = not worth it :lol:

lapushka
December 8th, 2016, 02:21 PM
Lapushka, iirc you also have an oily scalp... Do you notice a difference in how long you can go between washes when you blowdry?

My SO recently offered to blowdry my hair on the coolest setting since it takes forever to dry. And for some reason, i could go an extra day between washes when he did. I wonder if the damp hair causes more sebum production.

In the summer I sometimes airdry almost all the way. During wintertime, I tend to blowdry a bit faster and give it less airdrying time (2-4H, it varies). I don't notice a difference in how fast I need to wash, no.

eladriel
December 10th, 2016, 02:28 AM
I do this about once a week, doesn't seem damaging to me. And I only start blow-drying when it's had some time to airdry anyways.

Lizzie.torp
December 10th, 2016, 04:26 PM
I have the Conair Infiniti pro blow dryer and it has a cool setting. It was only USD$30. But I honestly don't know how to blow dry my hair. Is there a way without rolling a brush through wet hair over and over?

turtlelover
December 10th, 2016, 05:51 PM
My hairdryer is just a cheap ConAir one from WalMart. I use the medium setting but hold it pretty far back from my hair and move it around a lot the whole time. i only use it when it is freezing cold out and I have no time to let it air dry before I leave the house. I am sure it would be better not to use it but I am just not that disciplined and don't always want my hair freezing to the point of crunchiness when I walk outdoors. I have used it maybe 5 times total since October. I don't use any other heat.