PDA

View Full Version : Workout Hair Woes...?

Medievalmaniac
July 24th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Hi, all!

I am an avid dancer (bellydancing, mainly) and I also work out at the gym 3-4 times a week, plus 2 swims a week when I can fit it in.

I am trying not to wash my hair as often, so I don't wash it after my workouts (I do wash it with a clarifying shampoo after swimming), but I am wondering, are there any other sporties here?? What do you do to deal with the gym sweat/dirty hair smell between washes? It's not BAD, perse - just that I have a very sensitive olfactory system. DH says he doesn't smell it - but I do.

Any ideas?

klcqtee
July 24th, 2009, 05:29 PM
I've never belly danced, so I don't know how much of a sweat you really work up, but I used to fence. Fencing, for those who don't know, requires you wear a lot of warm clothing (for padding/protection) and a mask. This means you get really, really hot. I just *had* to wash every day I fenced. My hair loves soap and being washed, so I can't relate too much, but I bet a CWC routine would really help your hair. Also, you could try and find a gentler soap for you work out days. Gentler more often could be better (or at least hopefully no worse) than just twice a week (or whatever amount you normally wash) with a harsher soap.

It may just take some time for your hair and scalp to adjust to having to wash more often.

One thing I just thought of! I read that people who go no 'poo sometimes use some baking soda to absorb the excess oil between washes. I would find some no 'pooers and figure out what they use. It may work better for you than washing more often.

Good luck!

Bellalalala
July 24th, 2009, 05:34 PM
I'm WO and after my workouts I BBB for awhile and then shower and rinse my hair thoroughly.

I also have an insanely sensitive sense of smell, and my hair smells great after my showers. If I skip the BBB though, I do still smell that "sweat" smell no matter how well I rinse.

longhairedfairy
July 24th, 2009, 05:58 PM
I wash pretty much every day. For swimming I've been using coconut oil on the length and braiding it for protection beforehand. I shower afterward and wash (concentrating mostly on the scalp) and condition my hair. Even after shampooing a lot of the oil stays in it. I still get rid of the sweat and my scalp gets clean, but my hair does not get stripped.

sedonia
July 24th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Hi Medevialmaniac:

Welcome, I'm also a belly dancer and workout enthusiast.

Two options would be:

1) blot the sweat off your scalp with a small towel immediately after a workout.

2) rinse your hair with water only if you are sweaty but its not your regular wash day.

Elphie
July 24th, 2009, 06:23 PM
I've taken to CO (conditioning only) on days that I work out and have to be at work the following day. My weekends are casual enough not to require it.

RancheroTheBee
July 24th, 2009, 06:27 PM
I try to get outside and hope the breeze dries my scalp. :p Honestly, I find that exercise will sometimes just lead to more washing, but if you're concerned about dryness, just try CO instead.

Medievalmaniac
July 24th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Thank you for your quick replies! I'll try the powder idea and see if that helps...if not, I'll go with the WO option, although I'm trying not to wet it down every day, since it's dyed and already a little dry much of the time.

nucleardelusion
July 24th, 2009, 06:33 PM
I love belly dancing. It's been one of my "things" since I was 17. I took a break due to money/school/etc. Unfortunately- I don't really have anything new to add. I just had to wash my scalp more frequently to avoid feeling "ucky." To be honest I'm just posting to squeal in glee over seeing more belly dancers :)

smilinjenn71
July 24th, 2009, 06:47 PM
I feel your pain!

Hubby and I just started p90x and we work up a sweat like crazy. I absolutely can't stand the smell of dirty hair, so I'm washing almost daily! I would prefer to only wash every other day but currently I'm not managing that. Perhaps I'll try some suggestions from this thread.:flower:

spidermom
July 24th, 2009, 07:42 PM
I find that I can allow the sweat to dry in my hair once but not twice in a row. Otherwise I CWC my hair with diluted shampoo about twice a week and other days rinse with water and use conditioner. It's kind of a pain with hair this long, but I can't miss my workouts.

thankyousir74
January 14th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Hey all!

I was searching for this thread because I'm trying to get back in shape, but avoiding washing... any new ideas? My hair hates being washed, after showering and the day after it's always super poofy and I can't stand it. Sometimes I feel discouraged about working out because my hair LOOKS SO GOOD that day and I don't want to ruin it. I never thought it would get to this point :(

spidermom
January 14th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Update: I CWC twice per week and rinse my head between times while I hold the length away from the running water. I don't do CO anymore.

Wicked Princess
January 14th, 2010, 04:37 PM
When I was exercising/doing martial arts a LOT, I did wet my hair down every day, but I would go the conditioner-only route. I have hair an inch longer than TBL, the length of which was dyed. Providing I use a protein-free conditioner, I found it actually moisturized my hair A LOT.

I'm going to continue watching this thread for other ideas on days I'm too lazy to CO-wash! :D

Queen Olympias
January 23rd, 2010, 05:34 PM
I need this thread! I am having a really hard time stretching out washes due to working out on a daily basis. I agree with Spidermom - I can let my sweat dry one time, but not a second! Right now I am trying to just rinse with water but it is not working consistently. Lately, I have been giving in and washing after every workout, but I want to find a way to make this work without drying out my hair by washing it too often.

Thanks for these posts, everyone :)