PDA

View Full Version : Squeaky clean hair?

Avalonna
July 24th, 2009, 03:38 PM
I switched to a new shampoo a couple of weeks ago (Whole Foods 365 Everyday Value, herbal mint). When I use it, my hair feels squeaky when I rinse it out. I have always equated this with the hair being over-stripped of its natural oils. Am I correct? My hair seems fine after I condition it. If I am over-stripping it, will this cause damage over time?

I chose this shampoo because it comes in a huge 32oz bottle, and I try to use as little plastic and packaging as possible. And it was practically free at $4 for 32oz!

demitasse
July 24th, 2009, 03:43 PM
I don't think so. I can get my hair to squeak if I use conditioner only.

nowxisxforever
July 24th, 2009, 04:28 PM
I wouldn't be overly worried if you're conditioning, you may want to do CWC to minimize the chances of it damaging your length as well as using less, perhaps diluting it in water before applying.

Avalonna
July 24th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Oops, I forgot to mention that I usually CWC, unless I have coconut oil on my length. :)

embee
July 24th, 2009, 08:33 PM
You could try diluting it a good bit before using it. Then you won't be using as much and perhaps you'll get your hair clean but not so squeaky. if my hair is really squeaky it's going to cause me grief with tangles.

Longlocks3
July 24th, 2009, 09:30 PM
You could try diluting it a good bit before using it. Then you won't be using as much and perhaps you'll get your hair clean but not so squeaky. if my hair is really squeaky it's going to cause me grief with tangles.

I also get bad tangles when my hair is squeaky in the shower from shampoo. I CO 6/7 days a week and CWC once a week. I have even diluted my shampoo to about 1/2 shampoo, 1/2 water and it hasn't helped. I'm not much help I guess!

krn2891
July 24th, 2009, 09:46 PM
I CO and if I don't get it squeaky clean my hair feels limp and greasy from the CO. But when I do get it squeaky clean then its perfectly soft and no tangles and not greasy.

Lamb
July 25th, 2009, 01:49 AM
It may not be because the shampoo is harsh, but because it rinses really well and leaves your hair as free of residue as possible. Which would be a good thing in my book. :twocents:

Heidi_234
July 25th, 2009, 04:34 AM
It depends on how oily your hair usually is. If it was my overly dry hair, I'd save it for clarifying. But I'm not a good example, since I don't use shampoo at all. :shrug: In any case, I'd be wary of the squeaky clean feel, and diluted it with some water.

embee
July 26th, 2009, 07:10 AM
I have even diluted my shampoo to about 1/2 shampoo, 1/2 water and it hasn't helped. I'm not much help I guess!

Heh. That's not diluted enough for me, not nearly! I have a big plastic cup (probably 2c size) and put a squirt of shampoo into it and fill it with water. That's dilute! In summer if I've been working hard in my garden and am *really* sweaty and icky then I may have to do this twice and then I'm ok. Not squeaky, or only just the beginning of a squeak. Rinse very well of course.

I also am careful about only working this in on my scalp and letting it just run down the length. The *length* is probably not really dirty/greasy, only my skin and the hair right next to it.

I've not used conditioner for a long time: every one seems to coat my hair and make it limp (limper than it is by nature, that is) and with flat thin hair, "limp" is not to be encouraged! ;) How I would love to have a chance at fluffy hair! Sigh. The grass is always greener, they say....

dragonfrog
July 26th, 2009, 08:45 AM
I get my hair squeaky clean every time I wash it, and I have for years :)

I don't think it is particularly damaging for my hair. I use Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat and shampoo my scalp twice each time I wash my hair. I only use a little bit of shampoo for each of my 2 lathers; it doesn't really suds up much the first time but the second time I get a nice lather. I actually use less shampoo this way than I did when I just dumped enough on my head to make sure everywhere on my scalp was sudsy. After the second rinse my hair is quite squeaky :)

I also only wash my hair every 4-5 days or so. I would imagine it could be more damaging (drying) if you washed more frequently.