PDA

View Full Version : Brushing makes it look healthier, but am I damaging?

Maddy25
July 24th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Hi :)

I have a quick question for you all. My hair is in good health and I cannot find any split ends, I've cut out blowdrying and heat products but when I air dry it, it kind of gets fuzzy and kind of stiff feeling, especially at the ends of my layers.

I found if I just brush it with my boar brush that it gets super soft and smooth so I tend to sit at my desk and brush it a lot cause it feels so good. Am I damaging my hair further by running the brush through so much? No hair falls out or anything and Im being gentle and it looks a lot healthier when I do it, but I'm worried.

amaiaisabella
July 24th, 2009, 09:50 AM
I think it depends. I know if I brush my hair when it's dirty, I can extend the next wash for another few days, because I'm spreading the oils around. I also brush clean hair sometimes, when it's completely dry, and it "straightens" out any slight wave I might have from air-drying. I look for broken hairs, but I rarely hear any snapping, and I take my time going through it.

I think some damage occurs, but I wouldn't say it makes so much of an impact on your hair as say, using a straightener would. I could be wrong, though, so take it for what it's worth :)

MandaMom2Three
July 24th, 2009, 10:03 AM
I had a BBB once and LOVED how it felt, but I thought it was shredding my hair. I'm thinking of trying again because I think what I thought were broken hairs were really just baby hairs :shrug:

pilateschick7
July 24th, 2009, 10:24 AM
I read some posts that said you might be stimulating your scalp to grow by brushing with a BB Brush. You could try oiling your ends or using a heavier conditioner on the ends of your hair to decrease the frizz and stiffness at the ends. I don't think you are hurting anything really.

BlndeInDisguise
July 24th, 2009, 10:37 AM
I have the same problem. When I airdry my hair and then put it up, the ends get all kind of bent up, but if I BBB it beforehand it's nice a smooth. But, my hair is extremely fragile, and I had a lot of breakage doing this. So I'm not sure which is the lesser of the two evils. :(

Bellalalala
July 24th, 2009, 10:43 AM
I'm obsessed with my BBB, I use it all the time and I don't think it's doing any damage to my hair as long as I'm gentle.

I'm also WO so constant BBB and playing with my hair is essential for keeping it clean.

Deborah
July 24th, 2009, 11:06 AM
I think it is good for the hair and scalp. Our mums, grandmas, etc. brushed regularly and had beautiful, healthy hair. On this list we can become paranoid about perfectly good and normal haircare. :)

JamieLeigh
July 24th, 2009, 11:25 AM
It depends a lot on hairtype - if you have really fine, thin hair, then you won't be able to constantly go at it with a brush, even a BBB, without some breakage. The constant friction will be too much. But for coarser hairtypes, say F/M and up, it shouldn't hurt much, as the bristles are soft and shouldn't tug on the individual hairs. BBB's are really good for distributing oil from the scalp down the rest of the hair shaft (unless you're like me - I think my hair is too long for the oil to make its way all the way down to past my butt in just a few brushings. :pinktongue: ), and they do well for scalp massages. I would be careful about brushing as often as you say, and keep an eye out for damage. If it makes you happy, do it. :)