PDA

View Full Version : How to really grow long hair?

prittykitty
July 24th, 2009, 03:51 AM
I have read several posts and seen pictures of very beautiful long hair. I posted my story about my shoulder length naturaly curly frizz and how it got to that point in the first place. I would like to know where I start? What are some of the most important things to know about growing hair that seems to not want to grow and stops at a certain length and stays? Although I would love to have hair like Crystal Gayle some day, I am sure that is just wishful thinking. Anyway, I hope I can get a lot of answers so I can get started on my new journey of growing my hair as long as I can get it to grow. Thanks

eshta
July 24th, 2009, 06:38 AM
Welcome :flower:

I would say start by reading some of the articles, they contain a wealth of information and will give plenty of advice:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=39

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=8

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79

Maybe conditioner only (CO) washing will help your curly hair behave better and oiling:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=18

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=18

That's probably a lot to take in all at once, but try to go slow and see what does and doesn't work for your hair. Good luck!

redneckprincess
July 24th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Hello and welcome
my advice is no chemicals, no heat, get some jojoba oil and some aloe vera gel to start with anyways...Good luck to you, your hair and mine are the same leingth, I cant wait to see pictures. and when you can check out everyone elses....so insprational...and dont get overwhelmed with all those with waist + hair...were really only a few years from being one of them ♥

Gigi1962
July 24th, 2009, 08:05 AM
oooh - thanks for posting those links Eshta. :) I am quite new here too and it is great to be able to find so much information and advice. As I said somewhere else, I find the whole thing very motivating.

spidermom
July 24th, 2009, 08:44 AM
The most important thing you will need is patience. It takes years to get from short to long hair. I used to grow my hair from pixie length to about APL, at which point I'd get frustrated and decide that my hair "just doesn't grow". Then I'd get it cut again. I didn't develop the necessary patience until I was in my 40s, but I'm enjoying long hair now. It is totally worth the wait.

pilateschick7
July 24th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Welcome. It can be information overload. I have relatively curly hair. It really helped me to stop using conditioners and styling products with silicone in them. I also started conditioning my hair. Curly hair really likes moisture. LustraSilk SheaMango Conditioner from Sally's beauty supply is very economical. I second Coconut Oil. Jojoba oil is also very good.

Here is a technique that I use to dry my hair that really cut down on frizz and help encourage my curls.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2qD38ZYX6A
(Jessicurl is a line of curly hair products that made some very good videos)

Darkhorse1
July 24th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Welcome! This is a great place to learn about hair.

A few things to ask to yourself about your hair is how fast does it grow? If you have fast growing hair, you will see results quicker than those who have hair that grows at a slower rate.

I know my friends who have curly hair find they get more volume as they gain length.

I'd see what your current regiem is, and see where you can change/add/remove things you think may be harmful.

My hair grows like a weed, so I changed ways to make my hair safer to have thicker ends/healthier ends etc. Also healthy hair comes from inside--a healthy life style of a good diet, exercise etc

Melisande
July 24th, 2009, 10:13 AM
I have my own private theory what it takes to grow long hair ;-)

If you were until now a shorthair, then you have to accept that longhair mentality is different from shorthair mentality. With shorthair mentality, you may never be able to grow long hair because unknowingly, you make it impossible for your hair to grow longer - it will break after a certain length.

Shorthair mentality is prevalent in our society. It means: hair is a raw material for styling. It must be cut, colored, permed or ironed to change it from its natural state, and these procedures have to be repeated regularly in order to hold nature (i.e., growth and irregularity) at bay. Shorthair mentality means that you need a stylist and a style, plus styling products. Fashion changes, and so does the hair.

Longhair mentality is a minority phenomen nowadays. It sees hair as individual expression that is most beautiful in its natural state. Hair must be left alone as much as possible, treated carefully and preserved from damage. Longhair mentality means that you care for your hair, style it yourself in updos, and embrace its perceived shortcomings (every healty head of hair has its own beauty). Longhair means that you need quality instruments for care and simple, natural recipes for hair care, based not on commercial promises but personal experience. Fashion changes, but our personal features stay the same and so does our hair.

Of course the world is not black and white, and there are many shades between these two mentalities. My experience shows that the closer you are to the longhair mentality part of the scala, the easier you will find it to let your hair grow.

It's not always easy. If you were used to experiment a lot with colors or styles, you may get bored. If you were used to act out emotional states on your hair and had a lot of spontaneous re-stylings depending on your mood, long hair may not be the right thing for you.

But if you are willing to devote some attention to the actual reaction your hair shows to your haircare regimen, and you are able to let go of the commercial ideal of Pantene hair ;-) then your hair may surprise you and grow nice and long.

It's an exciting journey. I discovered that hair is reallly an important part of our bodies and an extension of our souls. There is a spiritual side to long hair, it's a natural, untamed and vital part of ourselves.

nowxisxforever
July 24th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Well said, Melisande! What she said! ;)

LaurelSpring
July 24th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Melisande I think you have hit the nail on the head with that post. It is a shift from short hair thinking to long hair thinking and until I mentally made the shift there was no way I would have made it this far. Long hair has to be more important than styles or other peoples opinions or mood swings. It does take patience and determination. I have to say though that through all of the different phases and routines, it has been a very rewarding process that has been infinately satisfying. I am a long hair for life!

My personal advice on how to grow it is to just not cut it (an occasional dusting with S&D if necessary). It will grow. Take good care of it as it grows. It may take some time to find the best routine and that can change but just keep on growing and dont give up.

Nyghtingale
July 24th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Really good Melisande.

This place has such great information. I spend HOURS here just wandering and researching. It can be overwhelming at first, but you will find what works for you.

redneckprincess
July 24th, 2009, 07:19 PM
oh and biotin, it is great for hair growth and shedding

prittykitty
July 25th, 2009, 03:06 AM
Thank you Eshta for posting these articles. I really learned a lot.

prittykitty
July 25th, 2009, 03:12 AM
redneckprincess, yes, my hair is about the same length yours is except yours looks nice and smooth and mine is a little on the frizzy side.

kmoc123
July 25th, 2009, 07:10 AM
My advise is to stay away from scissors, be patient, take vitamins, eat right, drink water (not fizzy stuff), find products you and your hair love. Hair to me is almost a spiritual thing...I don't have to work very hard to have long hair and I don't care what others say...(too old, too much work, etc) As a matter of fact, it takes more work to have short hair than long...hair cuts, curling irons, or other appliances..then you have to trim it and wash it every day...blah blah blah...GROW ON!!!

redneckprincess
July 25th, 2009, 08:16 AM
redneckprincess, yes, my hair is about the same length yours is except yours looks nice and smooth and mine is a little on the frizzy side. Mine was the same way before I found TLHC, hopefully in a few months yours will be better.:cheese:

PhillyGirl1978@
July 25th, 2009, 08:34 AM
My hair is not really long but it's on it's way and it's the longest it's ever been, brushing waist when wet. My advice would be....just leave it alone!lol I don't use an chemicals, no dye just henna, no relaxers, perms...nothing. I trim it myself because hair dressers always take too much and my tiny trim takes care of split ends. I don't use sulphates but some do without problems. For me with my naturally dry curly hair that extra dryness from shampoos just isn't needed. I sometimes scrub with baking soda...or I do vinegar rinses to keep it shiny. Be careful with it...keep it away from seat belts, purses...that kinda stuff. I just let it be and usually I am shocked when I look and see it I need to do my roots again so soon with henna cause it grows that fast! Scalp massage doesn't hurt either.

Oh yeah....I do drink lots of water....lots and lots of it. I don't drink soda, I think that may help too...it certainly helps my skin!

DMARTINEZ
July 25th, 2009, 10:36 AM

If you were until now a shorthair, then you have to accept that longhair mentality is different from shorthair mentality. With shorthair mentality, you may never be able to grow long hair because unknowingly, you make it impossible for your hair to grow longer - it will break after a certain length.

Shorthair mentality is prevalent in our society. It means: hair is a raw material for styling. It must be cut, colored, permed or ironed to change it from its natural state, and these procedures have to be repeated regularly in order to hold nature (i.e., growth and irregularity) at bay. Shorthair mentality means that you need a stylist and a style, plus styling products. Fashion changes, and so does the hair.

Longhair mentality is a minority phenomen nowadays. It sees hair as individual expression that is most beautiful in its natural state. Hair must be left alone as much as possible, treated carefully and preserved from damage. Longhair mentality means that you care for your hair, style it yourself in updos, and embrace its perceived shortcomings (every healty head of hair has its own beauty). Longhair means that you need quality instruments for care and simple, natural recipes for hair care, based not on commercial promises but personal experience. Fashion changes, but our personal features stay the same and so does our hair.

Of course the world is not black and white, and there are many shades between these two mentalities. My experience shows that the closer you are to the longhair mentality part of the scala, the easier you will find it to let your hair grow.

It's not always easy. If you were used to experiment a lot with colors or styles, you may get bored. If you were used to act out emotional states on your hair and had a lot of spontaneous re-stylings depending on your mood, long hair may not be the right thing for you.

But if you are willing to devote some attention to the actual reaction your hair shows to your haircare regimen, and you are able to let go of the commercial ideal of Pantene hair ;-) then your hair may surprise you and grow nice and long.

It's an exciting journey. I discovered that hair is reallly an important part of our bodies and an extension of our souls. There is a spiritual side to long hair, it's a natural, untamed and vital part of ourselves.

Very well said! I like this..... :)

Deb

gmdiaz
July 25th, 2009, 10:43 AM

Melisande, you've so got it! :cheese:

That's exactly how I've grown my hair long and why.

VERY well said!

82exoticbeauty
July 25th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Everybody's got good opinion, so I decided to post on my own opinion that I grow my long hair starting this year! Taking vitamins, not only multivitamins (others as well that do something for hair growth, MSM, Omega Fish Oil, Biotin, Hair, Skin, & Nails vitamins), drinking water, milk/silk soy milk, hair oilings using together with Camellia Oil and Castor Oil, eating those sushi seaweed sheet wraps every night at dinner time (I've read it that it's good for hair growth and good skin), and using Mane 'N Tail Original Conditioner also good for growing hair fast, not too fast-just boosting your hair growth-it works for me!)

So that's my way of growing my hair

florenonite
July 25th, 2009, 04:34 PM

For the most part, I totally agree with this post. I just wanted to comment on the bits I bolded. Longhair mentality has room for altering the hair's natural state, provided the hair is kept healthy. Colouring with herbs/henna and non-damaging straightening/curling methods come to mind as quite prevalent methods of changing the hair's natural state in the longhair mentality. Even chemical colouring is used with success by many of our members. OTOH, beyond the non-damaging methods or careful consideration of methods that have some inherent damage, there is a degree of acceptance involved. I can't wash my hair, plop it and get beautiful curls, nor can I have fluorescent pink hair, at least not without a lot of damage either way. I can, however, have red hair (henna) and I can do pin curls or rope braids to get curly hair.

I think, then, longhair mentality involves weighing the risks and benefits of altering the hair's natural state, and seeks to perform this alteration in the least damaging manner possible, for instance using rag curls rather than a curling iron. Sometimes, an ideal has to be sacrificed for the health of the hair (for instance many people have given up daily or frequent straightening) and the natural state of the hair does need to be accepted and embraced.

ETA: This was mostly for the benefit of the OP so she doesn't feel like she's got to give up blowdrying and dyeing and this and that all at once to grow long hair, but just needs to be more cautious in her use of such things and recognise that they carry risks with regards to hair health. It's kind of like driving, which is why people wear seatbelts, are aware of the cars around them, and are generally cautious. You can be a reckless driver and risk your safety, like you can be a reckless shorthair and risk your hair's health, or you can be a sensible driver and wear your seatbelt, follow the rules of the road, etc. You don't avoid driving because of the dangers, you just have to be cautious to minimise risk. Likewise us longhairs don't have to avoid all the "evils", we just need to be cautious to minimise the risk to our hair's health.

prittykitty
July 26th, 2009, 03:39 AM
I tried the CWC and it worked great. My hair felt so soft all day and it seemed to make dealing with the humidity much easier.

Javadandy
July 26th, 2009, 08:38 AM
This board has a lot of good information on it. My advice is simple. If you are serious about growing your hair, it will become like watching water boil or paint dry. The best thing you can do is establish a lifestyle change like the posters have mentioned in this thread, then do this with your hair without fail. Then - forget about it! Seriously, don't think about your hair or how long it is and have a comfortable and complimentary way of wearing it while it grows for several months. If you do this you will be amazed at how fast it will grow for you. Good luck! :)

blondekate
July 26th, 2009, 02:49 PM
I did not read all of the replies, but my hair grew it's healthiest--and steadily--when I had 1/8 of an inch trimmed every four weeks, on the dot...