PDA

View Full Version : MSM

RancheroTheBee
July 23rd, 2009, 10:44 PM
Okay, I'm looking for threads and articles about MSM, but the search engine won't let me look up MSM or methylsulfonylmethane. So, could someone point me to a thread, or maybe give me a quick rundown on MSM? Thanks so much!

Flynn
July 23rd, 2009, 11:01 PM
Don't know if it helps, but here: have a materials safety and data sheet for pure, straight MSM. http://msds.farnam.com/m001062.htm XD

Did you have specific questions about it?

RancheroTheBee
July 23rd, 2009, 11:05 PM
Don't know if it helps, but here: have a materials safety and data sheet for pure, straight MSM. http://msds.farnam.com/m001062.htm XD

Did you have specific questions about it?

Kind of. I wanted to hear from people who have used it, or any articles that support a connection between faster growth and MSM. I also heard something about it causing depression, and this is a concern for me.

Also: Hahahaha. It's flammable, apparently.

ETA: Oh, right. I also wanted to know about recommended dosage.

Myeka
July 23rd, 2009, 11:25 PM
It's an anti-inflammatory so it's usually used by people who have arthritis (unless you're on LHC of course lol). It's basically a sulphur compound and is very safe to use. It's best to start off with a lower dose and work your way up, just because it has a slight detoxifying effect and if you start off with too much too soon you might feel kinda crappy.

So, in addition to it helping your hair - which it isn't actually sold as such as far as I know, so I'm not sure how well it actually does help your hair? - it will help your achy joints and muscles. Win win!!

Myeka
July 23rd, 2009, 11:36 PM
"Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM, also known as dimethyl-sulfone) is a naturally occuring organic sulfur compound found in plant and animal tissues that is essential for optimum health. It is a derivative of dimethylsulfoxide (DMSO), which has remarkable therapeutic properties, especially for the healing of injuries. It can also help ti detoxify the body on a cellular level. MSM helps to nourish the hair, skin, and nails; relieve pain and inflammation; reduce allergy problems; and promote gastrointestinal health. ..... MSM is present in foods such as fresh fish, meat, plants, fruit, and milk. However, it can be eliminated by even moderate processing, including drying or heating."

From Prescription for Nutritional Healing, fourth edition

Dez
July 23rd, 2009, 11:41 PM
do you get this in the vitamin section of the store or something?

Flynn
July 23rd, 2009, 11:46 PM
Kind of. I wanted to hear from people who have used it, or any articles that support a connection between faster growth and MSM. I also heard something about it causing depression, and this is a concern for me.

Also: Hahahaha. It's flammable, apparently.

ETA: Oh, right. I also wanted to know about recommended dosage.

Meh, anything with carbon in it is flammable. Give me a bowl of water, a bottle of methane and a dewar of liquid nitrogen, and I will show you how to set an ice-cube on fire.

I think I have also read about MSM being good for "better" hair and nail growth (I don't know about faster; I think it was stronger and shinier) and I kind of vaguely suspect that the MSDS I gave you was for it being used as a coat growth enhancer for horses.

(I recall this because it kind of freaked me out at the time because I misread the DMSO2 (a synonym for it) as DMSO, which is an organic solvent I wouldn't be keen on eating, really. *Laughs*)

RancheroTheBee
July 23rd, 2009, 11:54 PM
It's an anti-inflammatory so it's usually used by people who have arthritis (unless you're on LHC of course lol). It's basically a sulphur compound and is very safe to use. It's best to start off with a lower dose and work your way up, just because it has a slight detoxifying effect and if you start off with too much too soon you might feel kinda crappy.

So, in addition to it helping your hair - which it isn't actually sold as such as far as I know, so I'm not sure how well it actually does help your hair? - it will help your achy joints and muscles. Win win!!

Yeah, really! I have terrible muscles and joints. So does my boyfriend, and he wants to grow his hair out as well, so maybe I can convince him to add MSM to his personal legion of vitamins, too.

Meh, anything with carbon in it is flammable. Give me a bowl of water, a bottle of methane and a dewar of liquid nitrogen, and I will show you how to set an ice-cube on fire.

I think I have also read about MSM being good for "better" hair and nail growth (I don't know about faster; I think it was stronger and shinier) and I kind of vaguely suspect that the MSDS I gave you was for it being used as a coat growth enhancer for horses.

(I recall this because it kind of freaked me out at the time because I misread the DMSO2 (a synonym for it) as DMSO, which is an organic solvent I wouldn't be keen on eating, really. *Laughs*)

As for the ice-cube, I would love to see that! Also, yeah, a lot of the information I'm looking up is really vague about HOW MSM is supposed to help hair.

Flynn
July 24th, 2009, 12:01 AM
It looks a little like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2WmWMMCcB0

That's not my video. They've done it with propane, and I don't know their preparation method. The ice looks white/milky because there are all these tiny bubbles in it.

If you ever hear people talking about extracting natural gas from "clathrates" in Canada or Alaska or somewhere, that's what they are going on about.

Sorry for the detour.

RancheroTheBee
July 24th, 2009, 12:04 AM
It looks a little like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2WmWMMCcB0

That's not my video. They've done it with propane, and I don't know their preparation method. The ice looks white/milky because there are all these tiny bubbles in it.

If you ever hear people talking about extracting natural gas from "clathrates" in Canada or Alaska or somewhere, that's what they are going on about.

Sorry for the detour.

That was awesome! I loved how it was boiling while it was still intact,

Rapunzal2Be
July 24th, 2009, 12:06 AM
I have no idea on the how or whys or whatnot, but I found out about it here, googled it, found info saying it was both safe and good for hair (not faster growth, but healthier, thicker growth) so I bought it.

You can find it in products like Osteo Bi Flex and the like (for joint health) but I just bought a generic bottle of MSM which was cheaper and without all the extra stuff.

I've been using it for about one or two months now (?) and have noticed no effects (ill or otherwise) from taking it, but I would not expect to see any changes to my hair until it has grown out some and I do not have any joint issues and I'm in good health to begin with.

I have been experiencing a huge crop of regrowth - shocks me every time I look in the mirror - but I cannot say as to what part, if any, the MSM has had in that. But I will tell you that I'll continue to take it, happily. :)

BranwenWolf
July 24th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Apparently MSM is for sale in the feed/farm/animal supply store but you have to have a driver's license to get it, I think it's used to make meth.

ETA: yep, MSM is probably in the horse supplements section for hooves! I started my mule on a supplement that's joints and hooves, I amost wonder if a smaller dose would work for people. Horse supplements often taste better than people ones... not that I've been tasting them or anything....:eyebrows:

Flynn
July 24th, 2009, 12:10 AM
(If you want another super-snazzy science/art demo, look up ferrofluids sometime. They are extremely cool. I made about 50 mL of the stuff last year, and still have a cluple of sample jars of it sitting on my desk XD I really should stop it now...)

Myeka
July 24th, 2009, 12:11 AM
You can find it in the health food store, usually with joint/arthritis care.

BranwenWolf
July 24th, 2009, 12:12 AM
I tweak weird chemicals for patinas on metal and poisoned myself with ammonium chloride once. It gives a really pretty blue shade on metals but apparently is terrible for your breathing!!!

(not to self: salt + ammonia = BAD)

BTW, the MSM at the feed store I speak of was pure MSM crystals, not something in a supplement.

Flynn
July 24th, 2009, 12:20 AM
Oops! Not good!

Heidi_234
July 24th, 2009, 12:38 AM
Just working my search ninja skills:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=330929
http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?p=642052
http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=749
From the Archives: http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=76288

From Igor Supplements article:

MSM (methyl-sulfonyl-methane)
MSM is promoted as a natural source of sulphur by the supplement and health food industry, suggesting that people are deficient in sulphur intake. However, protein in the diet is an abundant source of sulphur, which is contained in the amino acids methionine and cysteine. The efficacy of MSM has been questioned and clinical research on the medical use of the chemical is limited to a few pilot studies that have suggested beneficial effects. The biochemical effects of supplemental methylsulfonylmethane are poorly understood. Some researchers have suggested that MSM has anti-inflammatory effects. The published clinical trials of MSM did not report any serious side-effects of treatment, but there are no peer-reviewed data on the effects of long-term use in humans
People on longhair forums have reported that it helps to decrease hair fall out. It is claimed that MSM does this by making the growth stage of the hair longer and the shedding cycle shorter. The growth faze is genetically determined though but it is possible that it makes the shedding cycle shorter. It is true that sulphur is a main component in hair's structure so taking it as a supplement can’t hurt.
You may take up to 2000mg/day.
Warnings: Some people have linked MSM to depression! You should be aware of this when taking this supplement.
And from Bargellos vitamin regimen:

MSM: This vitamin is very important for healthy hair, muscles, and joints. It helps to decrease hair fall out. It does this by assisting in making the growth stage of the hair longer. The longer you are able to retain the root, the longer you hair will grow. You may take up to 2000mg/day. Note: Ultra Nourishair contains 500mg of MSM. I take an additional 1000mg/day.
HTH :flower:

MountainGypsy
July 24th, 2009, 12:55 AM
Interesting, I have been taking MSM for joint problems (knees in particular) and it has worked well, but I can't honestly say that it has done anything for my hair. :shrug:

82exoticbeauty
July 24th, 2009, 01:28 AM
I've taken MSM and had great growth upon it, I passed by the vitamin section at Wal-mart and think that it's for the joint and didn't know it was for the hair growth by this year! You can find it at Wal-mart, Vitamin Shoppe, Vitamin World, etc. that are in the vitamins section.;)
It did help a little but I was only using 1000 Mg which didn't give that much boost and I up my dose to one more pill which makes it 2000 Mg! Didn't give me bad dreams, headaches, depression, or bloating! But it did help with the faster hair growth when I took it with Biotin! Great on my joints also!

Queenie
July 24th, 2009, 04:18 AM
Just wanted to add that MSM affects my mood big time, and not in a good way :?
So I quit taking it, it didn't do much for my hair anyway :shrug:

Igor
July 24th, 2009, 05:43 AM
Copy from my supplement article :wink:

MSM is promoted as a natural source of sulphur by the supplement and health food industry, suggesting that people are deficient in sulphur intake. However, protein in the diet is an abundant source of sulphur, which is contained in the amino acids methionine and cysteine. The efficacy of MSM has been questioned and clinical research on the medical use of the chemical is limited to a few pilot studies that have suggested beneficial effects. The biochemical effects of supplemental methylsulfonylmethane are poorly understood. Some researchers have suggested that MSM has anti-inflammatory effects. The published clinical trials of MSM did not report any serious side-effects of treatment, but there are no peer-reviewed data on the effects of long-term use in humans
People on longhair forums have reported that it helps to decrease hair fall out. It is claimed that MSM does this by making the growth stage of the hair longer and the shedding cycle shorter. The growth faze is genetically determined though but it is possible that it makes the shedding cycle shorter. It is true that sulphur is a main component in hair's structure so taking it as a supplement can’t hurt.
You may take up to 2000mg/day.
Warnings: Some people have linked MSM to depression! You should be aware of this when taking this supplement.

hennaphile
July 24th, 2009, 05:47 AM
It can make some people stinky, I think they sweat some of it out and smell like a rotten egg :laugh:

redneckprincess
July 24th, 2009, 07:12 AM
DMSO = they gave me that for a bladder condition, awful smelling stuff, I dont recall it helping my hair, but then again I wasnt looking for it to... maybe I will add some MSM to my pill regime

RancheroTheBee
July 24th, 2009, 08:42 AM
It can make some people stinky, I think they sweat some of it out and smell like a rotten egg :laugh:

Hahaha, damn. The last thing I need is stink!

Anyway, thank you, everybody, esp. Heidi and Igor. :) Very informative.

I think I will try MSM. If anything, I would like joint relief and maybe thicker hair to make up for what birth control has done to the circumference. :) Thanks!

enfys
July 24th, 2009, 11:14 AM
I take it as capsules. I can't say if I had any worse depression from it, since I have that already, but I had lots of new growth since I started on it. It's at the stage where it sticks up wherever it can.

I don't see it does any harm. I take 750mg x3 a day.

sweet*things
July 24th, 2009, 11:42 AM
I have been taking them for about a week, so no review on effectiveness yet. I found 1000mg tablets at Trader Joe's. Thank you for the warning about possible mood effects, I wouldn't want to be caught unaware by one of those. :)

Melisande
July 24th, 2009, 12:49 PM
I started taking MSM in October last year and I can see a difference. I lost less hair when I took a large dose. I cut it down lately and I lose more hair. I'm off to the bedroom NOW to take my old amount - MSM definitely helped my hair. Oh and it is great against a painful condition I have. Great advice from TLHC, this MSM....

RancheroTheBee
July 30th, 2009, 08:36 AM
I've resurrected my old thread to ask a question:

If I fear that MSM is exacerbating my depression, would a lower dosage help, or should I stop taking it all together? Thank you!