PDA

View Full Version : I did a Hawser Braid! (Who names these?)

LittleOrca
July 23rd, 2009, 04:34 PM
So on my quest to find new braids to do with my hair, I finally learned how to do a rope braid. :dance: Thanks to Torrinpaige's Youtube page, I found out I can do a Hawser braid!

Here is the tutorial how to do it: http://www.youtube.com/user/torrinpaige?blend=1&ob=4#play/uploads/17/8y3LvWpncQQ

And here is a photo of my braid. I am just so proud of myself that I learned a new braid and it's a pretty one!

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff176/Little_Orca/Long%20Hair%20Gallery/Braids/HawserBraid.jpg

slz
July 23rd, 2009, 04:38 PM
Let me guess while the video buffers ... a rope braid made of two rope braids ? Looks pretty neat anyway !

Edit : I guessed it right :cheese: really gorgeous and looks much more complicated than it is in reality.

LittleOrca
July 23rd, 2009, 04:48 PM
Well that post made my accomplishment feel like it's not as big.

Oh well, back to the hair style videos, pages, and everything else I bookmarked.

melrose1985
July 23rd, 2009, 04:50 PM
That's so cool looking! My hair isnt long enough yet but i still think i would have a hard time with it!

ladylibra
July 23rd, 2009, 04:56 PM
Cute! I subscribed to her channel. :D

slz
July 23rd, 2009, 04:56 PM
Oh sorry it wasn't intended that way at all !! I just meant it looks awfully complicated / intricate, when it's something quite doable without 10 years of practice beforehand ! I'm sorry if I sounded harsh or whatnot, I am pretty enthusiastic about it actually, not being overly complicated is a major requirement in my book for any hairdo and when the result is that great it's a major winner - and yours looks very neat, probably way better than I (as a pretty illiterate braider/up-doer myself) could ever do :oops: .

Bunnyhare
July 23rd, 2009, 05:10 PM
This is a beautiful braid!! congrats! i know it is hard to get the fingers going in all directions...at lewast you don't have layers to deal with! it looks fabulous and the slide is great with your hair!

ginalaurie
July 23rd, 2009, 05:28 PM
What a pretty braid! Congrats on learning it. Torrin made it look easy and her instructions were very clear. Am I the only one who is scared when she starts brushing her hair? Wap, wap, wap. That and the twisting would really be hard on my fine hair, however, her hair looks beautiful and is obviously much sturdier than mine. I haven't really brushed my hair in 3 years or so, seamless combs only for me.

Renbirde
July 23rd, 2009, 05:30 PM
:D Very snazzy.

As for the name, a hawser is a riculously thick rope used to tie ships to docks. They, like this braid, are made by plying multiple lines together. :) Maybe the inventor was a sailor? Or a sailor's girlfriend?

http://www.schaudt.us/watercolors/hires/hawser472by646.jpg

hennaphile
July 23rd, 2009, 05:32 PM
So cool! :cheese:

redneckprincess
July 23rd, 2009, 06:16 PM
what a cool braid....when my hair gets long enough I will have to learn that one....**adds it to my list of up-do's & braids I want to learn**

Naamah
July 23rd, 2009, 06:23 PM
That's gorgeous. :)

windinherhair
July 23rd, 2009, 06:30 PM
That looks beautiful! I still haven't learned how to rope braid yet but I want too. I saved the video. Thanks!

EtherealOde
July 23rd, 2009, 06:59 PM
I love the way her hair looks, and love her videos too because they make even the fairly complicated stuff look doable. But yeah...the brushing just makes me cringe and I wonder how her hair has seemed to avoid being broken severely. And she brushes a LOT! I just can't ever see myself doing that, out of sheer fear of breaking it all off!

But to give her credit where it's due, she has beautiful hair, thick and shiny and looks very healthy. I can oly dream of having hair that looks as good as hers someday. *swoon*

AprilElf
July 23rd, 2009, 07:30 PM
Looks lovely, LittleOrca - well done! :)

GlassEyes
July 23rd, 2009, 07:30 PM
It's one of my favorite braids.

Too bad I'll never get one to look that cool. ): Not enough thickness.

I like your's. Especially with the barrette/slide.

Nyghtingale
July 23rd, 2009, 08:12 PM
Very very pretty. You did a great job on the braid.

GlennaGirl
July 23rd, 2009, 08:15 PM
So on my quest to find new braids to do with my hair, I finally learned how to do a rope braid. :dance: Thanks to Torrinpaige's Youtube page, I found out I can do a Hawser braid!

Here is the tutorial how to do it: http://www.youtube.com/user/torrinpaige?blend=1&ob=4#play/uploads/17/8y3LvWpncQQ

And here is a photo of my braid. I am just so proud of myself that I learned a new braid and it's a pretty one!

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff176/Little_Orca/Long%20Hair%20Gallery/Braids/HawserBraid.jpg

NICE. Part of what makes this look so good is your thickness! Same with Torrin's. (I subscribe to her vids as well.) Good job.

ZadenWillowfyre
July 23rd, 2009, 08:21 PM
OOOH! Very pretty m'lady! I want to try this now...

longhairedfairy
July 23rd, 2009, 08:24 PM
Simply lovely!:)

LittleOrca
July 23rd, 2009, 10:40 PM
Oh sorry it wasn't intended that way at all !! I just meant it looks awfully complicated / intricate, when it's something quite doable without 10 years of practice beforehand ! I'm sorry if I sounded harsh or whatnot, I am pretty enthusiastic about it actually, not being overly complicated is a major requirement in my book for any hairdo and when the result is that great it's a major winner - and yours looks very neat, probably way better than I (as a pretty illiterate braider/up-doer myself) could ever do .

It's alright. I re read it a few times and maybe my mood at the moment influenced how I was reading it... little sisters. :rolleyes: btw, I LOVE your avatar! :)

Very snazzy.
As for the name, a hawser is a riculously thick rope used to tie ships to docks. They, like this braid, are made by plying multiple lines together. Maybe the inventor was a sailor? Or a sailor's girlfriend?

That makes sense. Some braids and buns sometimes have names and I just don't see the connection. For instance, the Celtic Knot bun looks nothing like a Celtic knot. :shrug:

I love the way her hair looks, and love her videos too because they make even the fairly complicated stuff look doable. But yeah...the brushing just makes me cringe and I wonder how her hair has seemed to avoid being broken severely. And she brushes a LOT! I just can't ever see myself doing that, out of sheer fear of breaking it all off!

Me too! I wince a little when she brushes her hair, but I figure she knows what works best in her hair and with how lovely it is, I am sure it's working great for her. :)

Renbirde
July 23rd, 2009, 11:23 PM
That makes sense. Some braids and buns sometimes have names and I just don't see the connection. For instance, the Celtic Knot bun looks nothing like a Celtic knot. :shrug:
:) I know what you mean.

nowxisxforever
July 23rd, 2009, 11:47 PM
Prettypretty, LittleOrca! (and TorrinPaige!)

ericthegreat
July 23rd, 2009, 11:51 PM
Very pretty Orca. Did you oil your hair in preparation for the braid, your hair is so shiny here or maybe its just the way the light hit when the pic was taken!

LittleOrca
July 24th, 2009, 01:08 AM
Very pretty Orca. Did you oil your hair in preparation for the braid, your hair is so shiny here or maybe its just the way the light hit when the pic was taken!

Nope, there is no oil in the hair. That is after a wash, but the hair was dry when I put it together. :)

Aditi
July 24th, 2009, 01:14 AM
Looks very pretty and i also loved the hair accessory.

Calanthe
July 24th, 2009, 01:34 AM
Very pretty - on both of you. I'd love to try it but with my hair it would look like a sad joke. Way, way not enough hair...:(

Rentlle
July 24th, 2009, 06:48 AM
that's a beautiful hawser braid :)

DarkChocolate
July 24th, 2009, 08:01 AM
I looks awesome:)

paper
July 24th, 2009, 09:52 AM
That is gorgeous! I love your slide too! :D

JamieLeigh
July 24th, 2009, 11:37 AM
That's awesome! I love it! :D I've often wondered who names the hairstyles too....I came up with one, posted pictures and all...and I don't think I ever named it, lol. :pinktongue:

LittleOrca
July 24th, 2009, 11:57 AM
That's awesome! I love it! :D I've often wondered who names the hairstyles too....I came up with one, posted pictures and all...and I don't think I ever named it, lol. :pinktongue:

You should call it the "Uber Awesome Style from JamieLeigh." Or go cryptic and call it something ridiculous like "Goldfish Milk." (as in you milked a goldfish, not that its IN the milk... lol)

Naamah
July 24th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Well, I just attempted this braid. It's not perfect but it was my first try. I love it anyway, I'm going to keep it in all day. :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/Aludarae/IMG_0220.jpg

LittleOrca
July 24th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Naamah, that looks great! :D