PDA

View Full Version : colouring weakness

klcqtee
July 23rd, 2009, 01:30 PM
I get bored with my hair. I'm too impatient to just let it grow...so I dye it in the mean time. I used to henna, but wasn't getting the colour I wanted. I dyed it once with chemicals and my 1b/1c hair went to a 2b/2c. I was thrilled! Damage ensued blah, blah, cut off almost 2 feet, and started over!
Long story short, I hadn't dyed in 6 months, then broke down and dyed it (I know, shame!). Well, my dye turned my hair a bright fuchsia instead of a ruby red. It has faded over the last 3 weeks to a dull auburn (looks kind of ruddy, but not unbearable looking). I know red dye fades the fastest, so do you think I can just wash, allow it to fade and just henna my roots to help it blend? My hair is a medium brown, with some red highlights in the sun.

If it won't just fade and blend, is there anything I can do to help it fade, without damaging my hair too much?

Thanks for any help!

Bellalalala
July 23rd, 2009, 02:31 PM
I don't know what your hair routine is, but head and shoulders will strip colour out of your hair pretty aggressively, as will tar shampoos.
Neither are very kind to your hair though.

K-Pak reconstructive treatments used to leech toner out of my hair when I was blond if I wrapped my hair in plastic and heated it.

I can't think of anything gentle that will help, good luck.

Gigi1962
July 23rd, 2009, 02:33 PM
Hi, I am sure that I read in one of the threads that Head and Shoulders shampoo fades hair colour. Hopefully someone will be able to confirm this or offer other suggestions. :)

klcqtee
July 23rd, 2009, 02:57 PM
I already use Head and Shoulders for dandruff. I think I will continue to used that in the hopes it fades more.

lora410
July 23rd, 2009, 03:08 PM
Baby shampoo and honey on the head for 5 mins lifted my black hair to a medium brown.

wintersun99
July 23rd, 2009, 04:18 PM

florenonite
July 23rd, 2009, 05:22 PM
If you're trying to lift the colour of the dye, do not henna your roots. Otherwise you'll end up with brown on the length and red at the top. If your hair already has red highlights in the sun, you might be able to do a henna gloss on the roots (1-3T henna mixed in with conditioner). On my dark-blonde/light-brown hair, the henna gloss gave quite a lot of colour initially but has since faded such that you only really see the henna colour in the sun. On some people, however, henna glosses don't fade, so don't count on it. Even so, if you do a mild one (mine was 3T left on for 3 hours; many people do less henna and only 1-2 hours), seeing as your hair's darker already, you might manage to only slightly alter your natural colour, as it's already reddish in the first place.

If you do do henna, though, strand test first! It is imperative that you do this because, generally speaking, once the henna's on your head it's not coming off again.