PDA

View Full Version : ZOMG! It's an Infinity Bun!

florenonite
July 23rd, 2009, 11:27 AM
I hope this doesn't seem too self-indulgent on the heels of my two-year anniversary thread, but this is a huge milestone for me. When I joined LHC, I had three goals: have long hair that looked nice down, be able to put all my hair up at once without having to worry about escapee layers, and do an infinity bun with a single stick.

I've pretty much achieved all three now. Although I've still got about 5" to go to my goal length, I'm finally starting to like how my hair looks down, and it's long enough that people who haven't seen me since last summer or Christmas are commenting on it length :D So goal one has been achieved.

Goal two was achieved a couple months ago, but then I cut in a fringe >< The fringe is now about chin-length, so although it doesn't fit into updos, it can be easily clipped back or put behind my ear. The bulk of my hair will easily fit into a number of updos, both quick "get this hairy monster out of my face" ones and ones that are a bit nicer-looking.

The third goal I finally achieved this morning. I've been able to do infinity buns with pins for a while, but today was the first time I managed to hold one with a stick. Why is this such a big deal? Well, when I first found LHC I loved the idea of holding updos with a single stick, and as soon as I could started doing cinnabuns like that. However, the infinity bun just caught my eye when I was looking through the articles and different hairstyles. It's simple, yet elegant, and the geek in me really likes the name :p Hence, being able to do an infinity bun with a stick is a huge accomplishment for me; it's something I've wanted for two years but hadn't been able to do until now.

And after that novel: pics!

It's a bit lopsided, but I was a bit worried I'd try and redo it and it wouldn't work, so it's staying the way it is.

with flash:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1012&pictureid=45511

without flash:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1012&pictureid=45510

WelshLocks
July 23rd, 2009, 11:30 AM
It's beautiful!How did you manage to get your hair into an infinity bun at BSL?I'm having a terrible time with layers at the moment and I'm a BSL as well.I'm very excited for you!Have fun with all the new styles you can do!

:D

GlassEyes
July 23rd, 2009, 11:30 AM
:D Congrats!

I don't think it's self-indulgent...but then again, I made a bleaching thread right on the heels of my hitting 'APL' thread, so I'm probably the worst person to ask. xD; Granted, I said something similar.

And just think, now you can do the 'librarian' trick, and dramatically pull out the single stick and shake out the length. :eyebrows:

simply_me
July 23rd, 2009, 11:32 AM
Congratulations on achieving another milestone. :D I think it looks great.

Garnet66
July 23rd, 2009, 11:32 AM
Wow that's pretty.

Roseate
July 23rd, 2009, 11:38 AM
Ah, now that's what I wanna see- iii hair actually doing something for a change!

I love the infinity, but I keep hearing folks say it takes so much length with thick hair, I had decided to stop thinking about it. But here you are, not even waist length and with a lovely infinity on your head. Looks great! Congratulations!

florenonite
July 23rd, 2009, 11:49 AM
It's beautiful!How did you manage to get your hair into an infinity bun at BSL?I'm having a terrible time with layers at the moment and I'm a BSL as well.I'm very excited for you!Have fun with all the new styles you can do!

:D

I'm a wee bit below BSL now (I should probably change my stats to say MBL or something), at 28ish inches. If you're at BSL you should be able to do it within a few inches :)

:D Congrats!

I don't think it's self-indulgent...but then again, I made a bleaching thread right on the heels of my hitting 'APL' thread, so I'm probably the worst person to ask. xD; Granted, I said something similar.

And just think, now you can do the 'librarian' trick, and dramatically pull out the single stick and shake out the length. :eyebrows:

I'm glad I'm not the only one :p

And, yes, the "librarian" thing; of course, it also seems to be an invitation for immature guys to pull it out for me :rolleyes:

Ah, now that's what I wanna see- iii hair actually doing something for a change!

I love the infinity, but I keep hearing folks say it takes so much length with thick hair, I had decided to stop thinking about it. But here you are, not even waist length and with a lovely infinity on your head. Looks great! Congratulations!

Yeah, it can get depressing having thick hair and always trying styles but never having success with them. I'm at about 28" , so it's not a lot of length, though admittedly longer than someone with i or ii hair. Of course, my circumference is just at the beginning of iii (4 1/8") and I some taper.

Thanks everyone for the compliments :)

amaiaisabella
July 23rd, 2009, 11:57 AM
It looks great! Congratulations! :)

ZadenWillowfyre
July 23rd, 2009, 11:58 AM
Ooo very nice! I have yet to try this one...I will tomorrow me thinks.

RancheroTheBee
July 23rd, 2009, 12:03 PM
http://classicfun.ws/wp-content/uploads/internet-high-five-place-hand-here-right-480x444.jpg

It looks wonderful! Happy Anniversary!

florenonite
July 23rd, 2009, 12:31 PM
http://classicfun.ws/wp-content/uploads/internet-high-five-place-hand-here-right-480x444.jpg

It looks wonderful! Happy Anniversary!

:spitting:

This is ace!

Thanks guys :)

SimplyViki
July 23rd, 2009, 12:35 PM
Nice! I still can't make a proper infinity or figure 8... I need to lose a few more layers, I think. I mean, I can make one, but... it just looks odd. Little layers sticking all out around the bottom half of the 8.

Yours looks very nice though. Congratulations!

UrsaMama
July 23rd, 2009, 12:36 PM
I can't wait til I can do this!

MsBubbles
July 23rd, 2009, 12:41 PM
Congratulations! This is one of my goals, too. The bun itself looks beautiful!

The internet hi-five is too funny.

Reptilia
July 23rd, 2009, 12:43 PM
That's awesome, I really like it!

My hair is a bit shorter than yours, and I've just started to be able to do a lazy bun with one stick, and it'll actually hold all day! So, I know how excited you must be :p

Euphony
July 23rd, 2009, 12:54 PM
WOW that looks great! Oh man at 28" I was only able to do a super tight some sort of round bun kinda thing since my hair wouldn't go into anything else. I could finally do a figure 8 at 30" but had to wait another 2" to do an infinite (that never made sense to me). My infinite now looks like a bow...drives me a bit batty :sad

rogue_psyche
July 23rd, 2009, 01:11 PM
The figure 8/infinity is one of my favorites! I can't even get a figure eight to not have bits fly out with one stick yet. Hopefully I can in a few inches, like you have!

I love how yours looks so substantial, even though your hair isn't super long yet. It must be your thickness. *jealous*

eresh
July 23rd, 2009, 01:52 PM
Well done! It looks great :)

Sheltie_Momma
July 23rd, 2009, 01:58 PM
It is awesome, thanks for giving another iii some hope and inspiration.

redneckprincess
July 23rd, 2009, 02:22 PM
looks good, I cant wait to try that one

GlennaGirl
July 23rd, 2009, 02:31 PM
Can I ask a silly question? I've always wondered about this. Why do people say "ZOMG"? What does the "Z" stand for?

florenonite
July 23rd, 2009, 02:39 PM
WOW that looks great! Oh man at 28" I was only able to do a super tight some sort of round bun kinda thing since my hair wouldn't go into anything else. I could finally do a figure 8 at 30" but had to wait another 2" to do an infinite (that never made sense to me). My infinite now looks like a bow...drives me a bit batty :sad

I can't yet do a figure-8 because I haven't enough hair :p I suppose it just depends on people's twisting pattern how much hair they require for each.

The figure 8/infinity is one of my favorites! I can't even get a figure eight to not have bits fly out with one stick yet. Hopefully I can in a few inches, like you have!

I love how yours looks so substantial, even though your hair isn't super long yet. It must be your thickness. *jealous*

Yeah, the thickness is a blessing and a curse. It makes buns look big at a shorter length, but it also means you can do fewer buns at shorter lengths :p

Can I ask a silly question? I've always wondered about this. Why do people say "ZOMG"? What does the "Z" stand for?

I don't think it stands for anything, it's just an overly enthusiastic OMG. According to Urban Dictionary, it's from someone accidentally hitting "z" rather than SHIFT, but that could be made up after the fact.

Bunnyhare
July 23rd, 2009, 02:59 PM
It looks great! this is also one of my goals..congrats and happy anniversary!!

Flynn
July 23rd, 2009, 06:05 PM

I don't think it stands for anything, it's just an overly enthusiastic OMG. According to Urban Dictionary, it's from someone accidentally hitting "z" rather than SHIFT, but that could be made up after the fact.

I agree with that. It's a bit like "teh" and "pwned"; common errors from typing too fast which somehow became popular enough that they are commonly used now in their won right.

florenonite
July 23rd, 2009, 09:31 PM
It looks great! this is also one of my goals..congrats and happy anniversary!!

Thank you :) If you're at 26" and a ii in thickness, you should manage it fairly soon :)

keight425
July 23rd, 2009, 09:45 PM
Congratulations! It looks awesome!!!

HappyHair87
July 23rd, 2009, 10:18 PM
I love it!!! I'm still practicing this one!! Congrats!!

florenonite
July 24th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Congratulations! It looks awesome!!!

I love it!!! I'm still practicing this one!! Congrats!!

Thank you :)