PDA

View Full Version : Children's Routine?

LaFlor
July 23rd, 2009, 11:25 AM
To those of you with children, what kind of hair care routine do you have them on? I just wash my little boy's hair with a gentle sulfate-free shampoo and put some olive oil in it to make it look nice. Hubby keeps the hair short, so the oil makes it look nice... almost gelled. If I ever let his hair go longer, I would probably co-wash.

What do you do for your little ones?

UrsaMama
July 23rd, 2009, 12:46 PM
I CO my almost 7yo dd's TB length hair, probably once a week. Her hair has a bit more curl than mine so this works better for her than it would for me. I braid it at night when I remember it (and I'm not too lazy :o) I need to get more secure, nondamaging styles for her for school. I tend to fall back on a ponytail way too often. :rolleyes: Almost 4yo ds's hair is still washed with baby wash, about once a week too, but his hair is kept short.

aksown
July 23rd, 2009, 12:58 PM
Not my own kids but they've been in my life so long I consider them family: S&C with organic products once a week, coconut oil when damp and night braids every time. I also put their hair up every day that they are here. I wish I could get their father to learn how to braid 4 yo's tbl hair but he lets her leave it down more often than not, but won't detangle during the day.:rant: 8 yo is allowed to brush and style her own, wl hair (by her parents) and it is very, very damaged as a result. And then they can't figure out why it looks so bad. Some people just never listen!

NiAosSi
July 23rd, 2009, 01:02 PM
I CWC my 5 y/o DD's hair once a week or sometimes once every two weeks. I use L'Oreal kids shampoo and AO Honeysuckle Rose Condish. I brush her hair with a Denman D3 when dry and lightly oil the ends every 3 days. She is a fingertip away from tailbone.

ETA: I use Coconut oil and Nightshade's oil.

GeoJ
July 23rd, 2009, 01:06 PM
I have one 3 year old DD with waist length hair (it is about 1c/ii )on most, and has the remains of spiral curls from her curly baby hair on the bottom).

For the last year I have been mostly WO for her, with occasional washes when her hair gets too dirty for WO. What I wash with varies: either CV shampoo bars + ACV rinse, CO, AO shampoo & conditioner, or Indian herbs.
For the first two years I used California Baby shampoo and conditioner on her about once or twice a month.

At night I keep her hair in a simple braid. I also use coconut oil in her hair. She has her own horn comb, wooden comb, mini Flexi-8, satin hair ties, and hairsticks (short Ketylos).

I most often braid her hair for preschool. I use different braids and styles so it is not always the same. At home it is bunned, braided, down, or in a half-up. She likes fancy hairstyles, so she is willing to sit while I do them.

I trim as needed, not too much because for now she is interested in growing it long (she indicated somewhere between TB and classic).
This was her hair in February:
http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz338/GeoJ_photos/Hair/AfterTrim.jpg

LaFlor
July 24th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Wow GeoJ, her hair is so pretty. I would hope I could do the same if I have a girl one day. She sounds like a LHC-mini with her hairtoys and growth goals. If only I my mom had done the same for me... I can only imagine where my hair journey would be now.

ButterCup02
July 24th, 2009, 08:43 AM
GeoJ your daughter has beautiful hair!! Just gorgeous!

We don't have any kids yet, but my DH started COing a little while after I did LOL He keeps his hair short though.

ladylibra
July 24th, 2009, 10:43 AM
I am at a crossroads with my 3-year-old DS's hair.

Since his first haircut on his first birthday, we've been going through this cycle. Every fall/winter I let his hair grow out. By spring, we get to the point where he doesn't want me combing/styling his 4a/4b hair, and by summer he complains that it's hot. So we fade it with clippers, but he doesn't like to sit still and get his hair cut every week either. :rolleyes:

So currently... he only has an inch or 2 of hair on his head. We basically do CO with him (V05 conditioner, a little honey, much more olive oil, and chamomile tea). Sometimes I clarify with Trader Joe's Nourish Spa conditioner mixed with baking soda, let it sit on his head for 15 minutes while he bathes and plays in the tub... then do an ACV rinse afterwards. I've been toying with the idea of henna glosses (heavy on the conditioner so it's easy to rinse out).

I have a block of Bee Bar Lotion that has all kinds of stuff in it - beeswax, jojoba, shea butter, cocoa butter, etc. His hair seems to LOVE it and it defines his coils like crazy. I'm debating using this to start dreadlocks, or just keeping his hair 4 inches or less by occasionally trimming with scissors (since he doesn't like clippers). For the summer we're keeping it short but maybe as it gets colder we'll decide for sure.

sweet*things
July 24th, 2009, 11:01 AM
It's summer right now, so I let her run free most of the time. :D I make her wear it back and out of her face while she's in school.

Unless she's been in a pool or up to something filthy, her hair gets a heavy oiling and then a shampoo and condition about once a week. Then Monoi oil on her ends while it's wet. If we aren't going out immediately, I'll let her hair air dry without touching it at all and then detangle when dry, I find she has prettier waves that way, otherwise I detangle while wet. I don't use heat on her hair (or mine) in any case.

If we're going out, or it's looking tangled, I'll grab her and brush it, otherwise I leave it alone. Basically I treat her hair the same way I treat mine, except I wind up washing mine 2 or 3 times a week. She's about a 1c/2a, iii, a lot thicker and curlier than mine. I need to convince her to wear it up more, especially now that it is tailbone length. But I think I'll save that for the fall.

JamieLeigh
July 24th, 2009, 11:30 AM
I keep my 3 boys' hair short, which is what they like and works for them at their ages (6, 5 and almost 3). I still use Johnson's baby shampoo on them, and it works well. On my dd4 (whose hair was unceremoniously cut from her armpits to her ears by her 5 y.o. brother :rolleyes:), who has very baby-fine hair, I use baby shampoo and the same Suave conditioner I use (only I don't leave it in as long). On my dd7, who has nearly waist-length, uber-thick, wavy-curly hair, I CO with Suave and she gets honey treatments at the same time I do, if she wants them. I think I have at least one future LHC-er in my house. ;)

jivete
July 24th, 2009, 01:13 PM
I'm trying to get my 13 year old son to take better care of his, but it's difficult. He has the most gorgeous 3a/3b spirals. It shrinks to about shoulder length right now, depending on how humid it is.

I suppose I could make more of an effort to oil and detangle his hair myself, but I'm trying in vain to get him to be a little more proactive about his own hygiene. Hmmm, he does like his hair fiddled with, so it wouldn't be hard to put a little oil on it and detangle...

florenonite
July 24th, 2009, 01:21 PM
I'm trying to get my 13 year old son to take better care of his, but it's difficult. He has the most gorgeous 3a/3b spirals. It shrinks to about shoulder length right now, depending on how humid it is.

I suppose I could make more of an effort to oil and detangle his hair myself, but I'm trying in vain to get him to be a little more proactive about his own hygiene. Hmmm, he does like his hair fiddled with, so it wouldn't be hard to put a little oil on it and detangle...

You're fighting a losing battle there ;) You won't be able to get him to take charge of his hygiene until he realises girls don't have cooties :p Even then, it won't be until he realises that hormones mean he needs to bathe more often than he used to that he actually has decent hygiene :p

Can you tell I remember my early teenage years? :p

LaFlor
July 24th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Yeah, I doubt a 13 year old boy will really get the "hair thing". Maybe in a few years?

LadyLibra, I will probably be doing the same thing with ds, longer in the winter- shorter in the summer. I think the dreadlocks sound cute... I love dreads.

Sounds like most LHC's treat their children just as well as themselves, which is good. I don't think it's really much of an issue in the first few years anyway. Better to keep it simple. They are not the ones obsessed with hair.

I look forward to the next generation on LHCers, they are so cute.

redemption_song
July 24th, 2009, 03:36 PM
My son's hair is short, he likes it that way. My 2 year old daughter's hair is curly, a little above shoulder length. We CO, using shampoo only occasionally when she gets really dirty.

GeoJ
July 24th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Thank you LaFlor and ButterCup02! I am enjoying her long hair enthusiasm while she has it, I am not sure how long it will last. :)

ladylibra
July 24th, 2009, 05:33 PM
LadyLibra, I will probably be doing the same thing with ds, longer in the winter- shorter in the summer. I think the dreadlocks sound cute... I love dreads.

It is working so far, anyway! :D

I kinda feel even if he's a toddler, he should have some sort of say in his hair. If I had a girl, I'd like to think I'd do the same... even if I'm obsessed with her having long hair, I'd let her cut it if she preferred. Possibly. Maybe. I think I would... :laugh:

bakertwins2004
July 24th, 2009, 05:48 PM
For my 5 year olds I wash once a week. For DD I do CWC on her and then oil her ends with coconut oil. For DS I just wash. I use burts bee's on both of them for the wash and then I use my own conditioner on DD. I leave her hair down to sleep. She won't hear of having it up to sleep.