PDA

View Full Version : Protein changes hairtype?

Kiraela
July 23rd, 2009, 09:43 AM
I recently figured out what has been making my hair so wonky lately. Apparently, it needed a massive dose of protein. I had to comb it while it was still partially wet, and the ends with the most damage were sticking to themselves, stretchy like melted cheese, and just generally disgusting. Luckily, later that day I was in a Sally's beauty supplly to get a new comb (my hair ate my old one - Goodys combs are not good for me, apparently) , and they had a packet of protein treatment on sale so I got one.

After using it and leaving my hair to airdry without touching it, I had barely any wave at all! I'm almost a 1c! Is that normal? Or was my hair so damaged that it had more wave than it does? I'm not minding too much, since my hair is nicer, silkier, and generally more pleasing than it's been in a while, I just wonder what happened to my wavies?

amaiaisabella
July 23rd, 2009, 10:02 AM
I'm the opposite of you- I get super waves (more my 2a type) when I use protein. But I have to be careful and not use it too many times in a row, or my hair gets wonky again. An infusion of protein every few weeks seems to be the best balance for me.

ratgirldjh
July 23rd, 2009, 10:50 AM
I've recently found that my hair doesn't like protein! Weird, huh? I couldn't figure out why my hair was drier and drier when I was doing CO with a mild protein conditioner - and I suspect protein build up and finally got it off and now my hair is back to normal...