PDA

View Full Version : Tried a Princess Leia hairstyle

shadowclaw
July 22nd, 2009, 11:23 PM
I decided to try a new hairstyle to wear to work today. I have to have my hair restrained, and I usually just wear a ponytail or occasionally a cinnamon bun with hair sticks. I was feeling adventurous, and I decided to go for a Princess Leia style.

I googled some hairstyles and found a wonderful website that has all sort of fantasy/science fiction movie hairstyles and directions. Since my hair is not that long or thick, I went with Leia's Cloud City hairstyle from the Empire Strikes Back. It works well with BSL to waist hair, and my hair doesn't have to be thick to pull it off. So, here it is:

http://www.snowdragon.org/stuff/cloud_city_hair_back.jpg

http://www.snowdragon.org/stuff/cloud_city_hair_side.jpg

The bun is a little bit messy, but in general, I am pleased with it. I must get better at making buns. Unfortunately, my hair isn't nearly as thick and not quite as long as Leia's! Here are some pictures of the style on Leia:

picture 1 (http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/2/29754/794352-leia_whitejumpsuit_super.jpg)
multiple pictures (http://www.padawansguide.com/september06.shtml) - scroll down to 9/22

marajade
July 22nd, 2009, 11:31 PM
Oh SUPER pretty! You've got such a pretty shade of blonde too!

Proginoskes
July 22nd, 2009, 11:32 PM
That looks beautiful! :)

And I wouldn't worry about yours not looking as thick as Leia's. They used hairpieces for the movie, so it's really not a fair comparison. ;)

eyesofsummer
July 22nd, 2009, 11:35 PM
Wow, major shine envy over here. Your hair is gorgeous, Shadowclaw!
Would you mind telling the website where you found the directions? I'd be interested in seeing/trying what's listed!

shadowclaw
July 23rd, 2009, 12:25 AM
Thanks for all the compliments! I owe my shine and the color of my hair to henna. Although the camera flash makes my hair a bit shinier than in reality!

Here is the website I got the styles from:

http://imaginary-styles.iwarp.com/

There is also an older version of the same website on geocities that seems to load a little faster, but doesn't have as much stuff (like the references images):

http://geocities.com/starfilly714/hair/hairindex.html

I did my hair a little differently than the directions. I made a rope bun instead of the bun the girl suggests on the website. The girl who runs the site also has an amazing head of hair.

eyesofsummer
July 23rd, 2009, 12:30 AM
Thanks for the link, Shadowclaw!

Calanthe
July 23rd, 2009, 12:42 AM
That's a really cute style. I'll give it a try. We have basically the same hairtype - it's great to see what a style might look like in your own hairtype.

systemaurora
July 23rd, 2009, 01:44 AM
oooh, that website is nice! My hair is just now getting long enough to do over the head braids and such, so I'll have to revisit it soon! ^_^

Naamah
July 23rd, 2009, 01:49 AM
That's so pretty! Your hair is so shiny.

Rentlle
July 23rd, 2009, 02:39 AM
it resembles a bit too Eresh's updo too, don't you think?
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=145

i think it's realy pretty :)

Redheaded Raven
July 23rd, 2009, 02:41 AM
Love the hairstyle, And your hair is shiny:)

Merlin
July 23rd, 2009, 04:36 AM
I love the idea of hair which needs to be 'restrained' - sounds as though it's likely to suddenly dash off and bite somebody :-)

enfys
July 23rd, 2009, 06:42 AM
Oh I love that girl's site! I found it years ago when I had classic length hair. That's what you need to do all the styles!

Your version looks really cool, and I love that because real people only think of the buns it takes a proper fan to recognise Leia's other 'dos. That's what I found anyway.

myotislucifugus
July 23rd, 2009, 09:46 AM
Ooo. I tried that once. Yours looks waaaay better. The bun on top of the loops was no where near as fat as yours. Beautiful

SimplyViki
July 23rd, 2009, 09:52 AM
Very pretty! I'd forgotten about that Leia style. Why'd you have to go and post that padawansguide.com site? I just spent the better part of a couple of hours drooling over Queen Amidala costumes and hairstyles.

melrose1985
July 23rd, 2009, 10:24 AM
That really came out nice!

LittleOrca
July 23rd, 2009, 11:44 AM
That is very cute :D

florenonite
July 23rd, 2009, 12:29 PM
Unfortunately, my hair isn't nearly as thick and not quite as long as Leia's!

Your hair's also real, though :p It looks gorgeous :)

I love the idea of hair which needs to be 'restrained' - sounds as though it's likely to suddenly dash off and bite somebody :-)

Hey, my hair won't run off and bite anybody, but it may well try to suffocate and/or strangle either me or people nearby.

heatherdazy
July 23rd, 2009, 01:12 PM
That looks beautiful! :)

And I wouldn't worry about yours not looking as thick as Leia's. They used hairpieces for the movie, so it's really not a fair comparison. ;)
You took the words right out of my mouth!

Another thing is that most updos use a good amount of back combing for stability, something I'm sure you don't want to do on a regular basis!

systemaurora
July 23rd, 2009, 01:26 PM
Oh I love that girl's site! I found it years ago when I had classic length hair. That's what you need to do all the styles!

Your version looks really cool, and I love that because real people only think of the buns it takes a proper fan to recognise Leia's other 'dos. That's what I found anyway.

That's so true. When I think of Leia I don't even think of the buns. I jump to one of her braided styles or the scene in RotJ where she wears it down in the Ewok village. :D That was my go-to style for... a very long time. :cheese:

Kristen_Marie
July 23rd, 2009, 01:39 PM
Your hair is absolutely gorgeous!! I'm feeling some major envy right about now. The bun is gorgeous!

You've also sparked an afternoon of playing with my hair and trying to get it to do the same thing :p

enfys
July 23rd, 2009, 02:20 PM
That's so true. When I think of Leia I don't even think of the buns. I jump to one of her braided styles or the scene in RotJ where she wears it down in the Ewok village. :D That was my go-to style for... a very long time. :cheese:

It's Hoth every time for me. Carrie should be proud to be the only person able to distract me from Harrison Ford, even if it was hair pieces!

systemaurora
July 23rd, 2009, 02:26 PM
It's Hoth every time for me. Carrie should be proud to be the only person able to distract me from Harrison Ford, even if it was hair pieces!

pfft, Carrie was way hotter than Harrison. :p But admittedly I'm not really into guys that much. I so need to go braid my hair now! :D

GeoJ
July 23rd, 2009, 02:33 PM
Cool, you did a great job! I always forget to leave enough hair to make the buns, so I always end up with it all in the braids and barely a bun.

I love trying Star Wars hairstyles! I have also found that no one recognizes anything other than the buns. I have used the buns a few times, though. The one I remember the most was when I was working as a cashier and the boss said we could not wear Halloween costumes on Halloween, so I did the Leia buns and wore a white turtleneck. The customers all thought I was dressed up, but I couldn't get in trouble because it was just my own hair and regular clothing. :)

Kristen_Marie
July 23rd, 2009, 02:41 PM
I tried to do this hairstyle and ended up with something different but not altogether bad. If you'd like a look it's in my album ^_^

Thanks again for the inspriation Shadowclaw!!

CelticAngel
July 23rd, 2009, 02:44 PM
That's very pretty and you have such shiny hair. Thanks for the site, I might play with some of their ideas one day.

shadowclaw
July 23rd, 2009, 09:54 PM
Thanks everyone! I'm glad you all approve :) It's been my dream for a very long time to be able to wear Leia's hairstyles. I can't wait until it's a bit longer so I can do some other ones.

Cool, you did a great job! I always forget to leave enough hair to make the buns, so I always end up with it all in the braids and barely a bun.

I purposely made sure I left a lot of hair for the bun. I figured that a bigger bun would be better than thicker braids.

Glad everyone enjoyed the website, too. I spent a good amount of time on it myself looking at all the different movies.

Nyghtingale
July 23rd, 2009, 10:03 PM
Wow, you did a really good job with that. Thanks for the link too.

ZadenWillowfyre
July 24th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Awe! That is very cool! I need to try this tomorrow!

Maddy25
July 24th, 2009, 08:18 AM
That is so gorgeous! I cannot wait until my hair is long enough for this one, I love Princess Leia!

Vrushali
July 24th, 2009, 08:52 AM
The shine is blinding!!!!:cool:

JamieLeigh
July 24th, 2009, 12:55 PM
How pretty!! I need to try that sometime. :D