PDA

View Full Version : Oily hair

tobelongagain
March 9th, 2008, 11:44 AM
I need a recommendation for a shampoo and conditioner. Lately if I go a day with out washing my hair it gets so oily on the top. It never used to do this. I guess I could chaulk it up to getting older. :) Any tips? TIA
Amy

OhioLisa
March 9th, 2008, 11:54 AM
The problem might actually be that your shampoo is too harsh and your scalp is overcompensating by producing more sebum. Have you ever tried a more natural or sulfate-free shampoo? I use Queen Helene Mint Julep shampoo(can get it at Sally's). It's very cheap and works great. There are other brands too, that you can find at health food stores.

tobelongagain
March 9th, 2008, 11:58 AM
I have tried the Aubry's Organics. I did like it but haven't gotten back to the health food store to get it.
Would that cause the problem from going from that back to a regular shampoo? I think that I noticed the problem after going back....

OhioLisa
March 9th, 2008, 12:05 PM
I have tried the Aubry's Organics. I did like it but haven't gotten back to the health food store to get it.
Would that cause the problem from going from that back to a regular shampoo? I think that I noticed the problem after going back....

That might do it. I remember after I ditched my sulfate poo I ended up having to use it again once and my hair was an oil slick. So yeah, that might be the issue. If you don't like Aubrey, maybe give Giovanni a try. I swear by their condishes. :)

tobelongagain
March 9th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Thank you so much for your reply. I will try both of those out.

By the way I love your hair. It's very beautiful.

Nat242
March 10th, 2008, 03:57 AM
Also, try diluting your shampoo. You still get a good lather but it's less drying, and as such, it might stop your scalp from overproducing oil.

addikted
March 10th, 2008, 06:16 AM
I use Nioxin, its not SLS free however.

florenonite
March 10th, 2008, 06:38 AM
Do you condition your scalp hair, or only the length? I ask because you asked for recommendations for a 'poo and condish, but if you only apply your condish to the length then it will have no effect on the oiliness of your hair.

Kirin
March 10th, 2008, 08:15 AM
This sounds slightly familliar to me. My daughter 13 in the past two years her hair became rediculously oily, and even shortly after washing it was oily again, almost waxy. It appeared after speaking to a dermatologist, she had developed oversensitivity to chemicals in shampoo over the counter (not just sls, all the chemicals, colors, fragrance).

What works for her is the queen helene mint julep, and Dr. Woods african black soap. It cleared the oiliness right up

vdhendrix
October 28th, 2009, 10:14 PM
maybe you could try a sulfate free shampoo, you might be useing some that are to harsh for your hair makeing it produce more oil