PDA

View Full Version : newbie...need suggestions on growth!

khyathi
July 22nd, 2009, 06:53 AM
hi all!!!

let me start my hair intro...

as a kid i used to have a pixie cut. but one day after seeing one of my family friends (who was in her teens then) having knee length hair i forced my mom to let my haior grow...and she took such good care of it by oiling it regularly and putting coconut milk, hibiscus flowers and washed it with only soap nuts...shampoo was a yearly once afair....my hair grew to TBL in just two years...!!!!

i mantained that length till i was about 16 with occasional trimming....but then i started noticing that i was looking way beyond my age because of my hair...it also helped that it was never styled properly and being semi wavy hair it used to look unkempt...i was looking 22 when i was 18!!!

so i decided to cut it to lower BSL! i dont regret that but then i also started colouring it. am a big fan of streaks!!! all this also never effected my hair...but last august i did the biggest mistake!! i streaked my hair and went for chemical straighting within 2 weeks...though i was warned of fried ends i didnt pay much heed to it as i was too confident of my hair!!!

but then the inevitable happened and i ended up with horrible burnt hair! then started my series of chopping my hair every 3 months to get rid of the ends....and also i need to use straightner regularly now as half my hair is straightened(it grew till my ear starting level) other top part of it is wavy and it looks HORRIBLE without starighting...so i have to keep doing it every time i wash(i wash once in three days)..i do the regular oil massage shampoo nd conditioner......now i almost got rid of the frayed ends...so it looks in good condition...

as of today my hair length is this

http://i30.tinypic.com/1z4a52g.jpg

by september end i want my hair to grow this long

http://i28.tinypic.com/2ihs005.jpg

will it be possible? i have relatively fast growth and i take supplements like folic acid, vit A, B-complex, iron and i also started taking gelatin (1 teaspoon) since 3 days ( a tip i got from LHC obviously!!!)

thisis the length i intend to maintain (or maybe two inches more)....

tommiefromva
July 22nd, 2009, 07:31 AM
Your hair is really pretty.

khyathi
July 22nd, 2009, 07:46 AM
thank u so much!!!! :)

Fillette
July 22nd, 2009, 01:46 PM
Hi and welcome :waving:
I don't know about September, but your hair could probably be that lenght by the end of the year, as long as it does not break too much and considering that your hair grows pretty fast. I am no expert so this is just my personal opinion...

My only concern is that you say that your straighten regularly. That could cause some serious accumulated damage. Have you considered wearing your hair wavy? You could put your hair in buns while damp so that the straight bits become more wavy... There are a couple of articles on this site that show creative non-damaging ways to otain waves. If you prefer wearing your hair straight, you could try the hair wrapping technique. There was a thread about it not too long ago.

Just my :twocents: HTH

Renbirde
July 22nd, 2009, 05:53 PM
How much length do you want to add? It's hard for me to see form the pictures.... about 4 inches?

I did some number plugging, and if you grew 30" in 2 years, you grow about 1.25" a month. So it will take you a bit more than 2 months to reach your goal. Call it the end of September.

Bunnyhare
July 22nd, 2009, 05:59 PM
...wether it gets there by september or not at least it will be longer in september than it is now!

systemaurora
July 22nd, 2009, 06:07 PM
The main things are to treat it nicely... you've obviously got a lot of tips already! I highly recommend a good shampoo and a nice thick conditioner, chemical free is best (Aubrey, Giovanni, or similar). I use Giovanni Nutrafix Hair Reconstructor right now and it works miracles on my hair. I understand straightening it a lot... try to find a good heat protector if you absolutely must straighten it! I use Straight Fast by Giovanni and it works very well at protecting my hair.

I think just taking good care of your hair will help a lot! And I don't think it will take too long to grow at all. :) It should be that long again by fall, easy. Good luck.

khyathi
July 22nd, 2009, 09:45 PM
How much length do you want to add? It's hard for me to see form the pictures.... about 4 inches?

I did some number plugging, and if you grew 30" in 2 years, you grow about 1.25" a month. So it will take you a bit more than 2 months to reach your goal. Call it the end of September.

...wether it gets there by september or not at least it will be longer in september than it is now!

The main things are to treat it nicely... you've obviously got a lot of tips already! I highly recommend a good shampoo and a nice thick conditioner, chemical free is best (Aubrey, Giovanni, or similar). I use Giovanni Nutrafix Hair Reconstructor right now and it works miracles on my hair. I understand straightening it a lot... try to find a good heat protector if you absolutely must straighten it! I use Straight Fast by Giovanni and it works very well at protecting my hair.

I think just taking good care of your hair will help a lot! And I don't think it will take too long to grow at all. :) It should be that long again by fall, easy. Good luck.

Hi and welcome :waving:
I don't know about September, but your hair could probably be that lenght by the end of the year, as long as it does not break too much and considering that your hair grows pretty fast. I am no expert so this is just my personal opinion...

My only concern is that you say that your straighten regularly. That could cause some serious accumulated damage. Have you considered wearing your hair wavy? You could put your hair in buns while damp so that the straight bits become more wavy... There are a couple of articles on this site that show creative non-damaging ways to otain waves. If you prefer wearing your hair straight, you could try the hair wrapping technique. There was a thread about it not too long ago.

Just my :twocents: HTH

thanks so much for the encouragement and support!!!:cheese:

@Fillette...i also want to stop using the straightner regularly...but i have a deep layer cut because of which the hair around my face looks frizzy if i try anything else...anyways i tried putting velcro rollers yesterday after my hair is 95% dry and left it that way for 30min...the pic you see is after that...i must say it looks pretty ok....so may be i can do that from now on to tame it till the layers reach a decent length!!! and i will try he other techniques you advised me also!!!!:)

khyathi
July 22nd, 2009, 10:27 PM

is giovanni available in india???

systemaurora
July 22nd, 2009, 10:50 PM
You should be able to get it shipped to you if not. I'm sure someone on ebay or amazon will ship it to you!

khyathi
July 22nd, 2009, 10:58 PM
You should be able to get it shipped to you if not. I'm sure someone on ebay or amazon will ship it to you!

will do that....thnks for the advice:)

Fillette
July 23rd, 2009, 01:44 PM
@Fillette...i also want to stop using the straightner regularly...but i have a deep layer cut because of which the hair around my face looks frizzy if i try anything else...anyways i tried putting velcro rollers yesterday after my hair is 95% dry and left it that way for 30min...the pic you see is after that...i must say it looks pretty ok....so may be i can do that from now on to tame it till the layers reach a decent length!!! and i will try he other techniques you advised me also!!!!:)

I hope they work for you. Good luck and happy growing! :)

khyathi
July 24th, 2009, 12:04 AM
I hope they work for you. Good luck and happy growing! :)

:):):):):):)

khyathi
July 24th, 2009, 04:08 AM
i started my biotin and calcium supplements today.....!!!

lora410
July 24th, 2009, 04:33 AM
You could try monistat or megatek to try and boost some growth. When I did monistat I just mixed a dime size with water until runny and then use a dropper to put it all over my scalp and massage. I left it in for about 1 hour or longer and washed out.

Megatek is a horse growth cream. I bought it on line. It is used for coat and hoofs. I also had a good experience with that when applied the same way as monistat.

MONISTAT (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=156&highlight=monistat) thread

MEGATEK (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=15952&highlight=megatek) thread

khyathi
July 24th, 2009, 11:37 PM
You could try monistat or megatek to try and boost some growth. When I did monistat I just mixed a dime size with water until runny and then use a dropper to put it all over my scalp and massage. I left it in for about 1 hour or longer and washed out.

Megatek is a horse growth cream. I bought it on line. It is used for coat and hoofs. I also had a good experience with that when applied the same way as monistat.

MONISTAT (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=156&highlight=monistat) thread

MEGATEK (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=15952&highlight=megatek) thread

Am scared of purchasing online, nd these products are not available in INdia. how about miconazole cream? read somewhere in the forum that monistat is similar