PDA

View Full Version : Sock Bun, or Bread Head?

Pages : [1] 2

Leabhar
July 21st, 2009, 08:14 PM
Good goddess! I tried this sock bun variant (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I13J7ArHTkM&feature=channel_page) and, while I got off to a rough start (slippery, long, still-growing-layers-out), I got the roll to my head, held it in place with my hand, and trotted over to the mirror.

And yelped.

It is the size of a giant loaf of bread. Or those hats that look like bread, if you stacked three or four together. If I ever get to classic or knee length, I could foresee this variant being BIGGER THAN MY HEAD.

FYI, I have a rather largeish head. My jaw? Still hanging on the ground as I type this.

This is a great bun for those with thin hair who want bigger (hair)buns. Or for those with normal/thick hair who want, like, monster buns that go on to raze cities underfoot.

I would post a pic but I don't have a camera handy. Trust me. The bun, she is huge.

Anybody game to try it and post pics? (You really have to try this bun if you haven't yet!)

Coriander
July 21st, 2009, 08:26 PM
First of all, that girl is just the most adorable thing.

I'm game to try it... I'm a little concerned at any possible damage by wrapping your hair around the thing like that, but I'll give it a go :D

I was laughing so hard at your description!!!

manderly
July 21st, 2009, 08:29 PM
I like her version a lot better than the original. I've never been a fan of the extra hair and different variations of what to do with it.

I may give this a try. I haven't done a sock bun in over a year :D

And yeah, she was adorable. :crush:

podooshka
July 21st, 2009, 08:39 PM
I'll definitely give this a go once my hair is long enough!

I rather liked the way it looked on the side of her head, though I worry that if I did two sock buns on the side of my head, I would hear Princess Leia comments every where I went. Do you folks think that two buns would be too Princess Leia-esque for the real world?

magicatt
July 21st, 2009, 09:42 PM
I love this variation of the sock bun! Thanks for pointing me to it, Leabhar. I've actually just put my hair up in one way high on my head because I think it might just be a reasonable sleep style too. I love the no pins, no sticks, nothing at all holding it up aspect.

Cherry_Sprinkle
July 21st, 2009, 10:04 PM
Hmm i'll have to try this!

MandaMom2Three
July 21st, 2009, 10:12 PM
I am SO going to try this!!!!I'll bet I can make the exact style from my avatar this way!!!

Teazel
July 21st, 2009, 10:38 PM
Oh, this is such a fun bun, and actually quite practical! :D Lookee:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2415&pictureid=45406

I promise there's really a very small, skinny sock under there. :agree:

If I went out of the house like that I might cause accidents. :laugh: A great style for those "My hair is too thin!" days. :silly:

Cherry_Sprinkle
July 21st, 2009, 10:42 PM
lol it looks a lot like my signature bun!! I think I might have to do this because my signature bun is heavy!

bakertwins2004
July 21st, 2009, 10:45 PM
COOL i am gonna try this!

Coriander
July 21st, 2009, 10:48 PM
Oh, this is such a fun bun, and actually quite practical! :D Lookee:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2415&pictureid=45406

I promise there's really a very small, skinny sock under there. :agree:

If I went out of the house like that I might cause accidents. :laugh: A great style for those "My hair is too thin!" days. :silly:

Teazel??? Teazel?!?!?! Are you in there somewhere?!?!

Good Gods this is an enormous bun. Now that I know you did one with your lovely length, I think I'll try :D

nowxisxforever
July 21st, 2009, 11:07 PM
First of all, that girl is just the most adorable thing.

I agree. She is so cute! I had to watch some of her other videos... she must be at LHC, right!?

Cherry_Sprinkle
July 21st, 2009, 11:23 PM
its too dark here to take photos but I am going to take one tomorrow. Mine is a bit smaller than my signature bun but still big and full. I have layers and so it doesn't 'roll' evenly for me.. its loose and loopy but still quite nice.

tarn
July 22nd, 2009, 12:21 AM
What a great idea. I am thinking of trying this on my 7yo daughter who has ultra thin hair and will possibly escape the Princess Lea stereotype. (Heads off to chop us some of 5yo son's socks).

Calanthe
July 22nd, 2009, 12:25 AM
Oho, I'm so going to try this. I don't like sock buns much but for the look of having masses of hair I'll give it a go :D.

Queenie
July 22nd, 2009, 12:56 AM
Very clever! Teazel, wow!
I don't know if I'd dare doing this myself - I think I'd manage to get the sock all tangled up in my hair when trying to get it out again :ponder:

serious
July 22nd, 2009, 12:58 AM
Oho, I'm so going to try this. I don't like sock buns much but for the look of having masses of hair I'll give it a go :D.

Ha, ha, me too!:D

Flynn
July 22nd, 2009, 01:32 AM
I agree. She is so cute! I had to watch some of her other videos... she must be at LHC, right!?

She was backcombing her hair on the super-cute Loli hair one... who on LHC can bring themselves to do that?! *laughs*

Samitra
July 22nd, 2009, 01:43 AM
How cute! I'm going to try this, but I need a pair of socks, and I don't think my mother will be happy about me stealing hers. And I only brought five pairs (for three weeks! Stupid!)... So, I have to wait another week!

(Unless I blame Socks (yes, it's really her name), The Sock Eating Cat. She used to make big holes in every sock she could find when she was a kitten)

I've had problems with other versions of the sock bun, but I think I'll like this method better!

storytellerzero
July 22nd, 2009, 02:13 AM
Ha! I already get irritated at the mass of my hair in a bun and wouldn't add anything that could grow that:rolleyes: I like the bangs of the girl in the video and have been wanting some for quite a while as I think it is more flattering than my current bang-less state, but I don't want to cut them out of my real hair as it isn't think enough for my taste in the first place and I have trouble finding false bangs that look good.

Heidi_234
July 22nd, 2009, 02:30 AM
Wow this is crazy - I just tried to come up with this technique exactly yesterday!! I did the same thing, but it got messy so I decided it's probably un-doable (I guess it's just not as neat on curly hair) so I dropped it. I can't believe a day after you post a link to this video (that I haven't seen before obviously). What a crazy coincidence.
There's also another variation - without the sock - probably won't be LHC popular as it makes it look like you have less hair than you do. Do a ponytail (optional though), divide it in half and wrap one half around the elastic like a regular cinnamon bun (this will act like the sock donut thingie). Take the rest the hair, and carry on with the regular sock bun.

Aditi
July 22nd, 2009, 03:01 AM
A very nice tutorial video, i am goin to try this out. Now where is that smelly old sock of my brother :D

Samitra
July 22nd, 2009, 03:47 AM
I now have one pair of socks less, but I've also learned to do this:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3162&pictureid=45407
(taken inside, with flash. I wish my hair was that shiny at alls times :))

It took a few tries, but I'm getting better at it. This bun (and it's twin on the opposite side, not visible in the pic) is a bit loose and wobbly. But it looked too good to not take a pic of. :D I redid them after my shower, and the new ones are a bit smaller and firmer.

I'll keep practicing, this was so much fun! I like my new and bigger (hair) buns. :D

Thank you Leabhar for sharing the link!

mwedzi
July 22nd, 2009, 07:35 AM
What a cool way to do it. Especially for people with shorter hair who'd like a bigger bun. My own bun (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=3301&pictureid=41994) (sock-less) is giant, too, because of my texture, and I've gotten lots of compliments on it. So I wouldn't worry about it being too big.

ZadenWillowfyre
July 22nd, 2009, 08:20 AM
That's amazing! I wanna try this!

demitasse
July 22nd, 2009, 08:34 AM
That's one big bun. :) I like this version though. It looks more casual than my normal sock bun and it also doesn't sag under its own weight. Thanks for the link.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3428&pictureid=45415

redneckprincess
July 22nd, 2009, 08:46 AM
thats actually how I thought a sock bun was done when I first heard of it and seen pictures. not sure though how the damage compaires to a regular sock bun, cute girl though for sure I just love her voice ♥

heidihug
July 22nd, 2009, 12:09 PM
Great googly-moogly, that's a huge bun, especially the examples by Teazel and demitasse. Even on me, I think it would be big, just because of my length. I will have to try it! When I make a sock bun (I don't use a sock, though, typically I use those spongy or netty things that are made especially for making buns), I typically pull the remaining hair back through the middle of the "donut" so that I have that princess ponytail thing going on.

GlassEyes
July 22nd, 2009, 12:15 PM
She was backcombing her hair on the super-cute Loli hair one... who on LHC can bring themselves to do that?! *laughs*
Even then, she's apparently tracking her growth, and knows the benefits of coconut oil. And her backcombing isn't as hardcore as I've seen it done. And she refused to curl her hair. XD;

So she probably lurks. :shrug:

nowxisxforever
July 22nd, 2009, 12:35 PM

She was, but she was also doing it very gently (comparatively) and made a big point about combing it back out gently, doesn't use heat on her hair, loves coconut oil, S&Ds, etc.

Everything besides the backcombing says she probably is here or somewhere similar.

GlassEyes
July 22nd, 2009, 12:51 PM
Yeah. Maybe one of the other, 'sister' forums?

I think she might be Dutch, so maybe she's on the Dutch board...erm, Raponjse, or something like that? XD; I can't remember, all I know is it sounds like Rapunzel, and probably means it.

I'm having trouble placing her accent, but maybe that's it?

serious
July 22nd, 2009, 12:54 PM
I've never managed to make a decent sock bun , but this one worked!:cheese:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2446&pictureid=45426

FallenAngel
July 22nd, 2009, 01:10 PM
My girls saw the vid, and they demand that I shall make this updo on them tomorrow (too late today, they are in bed now). They are 3 and 5 years old. :) Pics coming up...

demitasse
July 22nd, 2009, 01:37 PM
Great googly-moogly, that's a huge bun, especially the examples by Teazel and demitasse. Even on me, I think it would be big, just because of my length. I will have to try it! When I make a sock bun (I don't use a sock, though, typically I use those spongy or netty things that are made especially for making buns), I typically pull the remaining hair back through the middle of the "donut" so that I have that princess ponytail thing going on.

I usually use one of those spongy donuts too but I couldn't get this to work with it. It might be my hair's thickness, but there wasn't enough give to twist it all the way down to my head. I ended up using a sock which accommodated all my hair much better.

I've been wearing this since this morning and, I have to say, it holds amazing well. I used two bobby pins on the top to anchor it and it hasn't moved at all.

Coriander
July 22nd, 2009, 01:45 PM
I now have one pair of socks less, but I've also learned to do this:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3162&pictureid=45407

That looks great! Such gorgeous eyes too :)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3428&pictureid=45415

I love your color *sigh* :)

I've never managed to make a decent sock bun , but this one worked!:cheese:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2446&pictureid=45426

Very nice!

I'll be doing one today as well before a wash :D

rhondalicious
July 22nd, 2009, 01:57 PM
I tried it, but I've got some waves that just don't feel like participating, and they kind of stick out around the bun. I left 'em, the bun stays up pretty nicely on its own! But it does feel a lot fluffier/bulkier than my normal buns!

eresh
July 22nd, 2009, 02:07 PM

I think she might be Dutch, so maybe she's on the Dutch board...erm, Raponjse, or something like that? XD; I can't remember, all I know is it sounds like Rapunzel, and probably means it.

I was trying to place it too :D
I thought something scandinavian?
And thanks for the forumnamedropping haha.

Teazel, wow, what a massive bun!

enfys
July 22nd, 2009, 02:46 PM
I don't think I will be able to do this with my &$%*£@# layers, but in 3 years I'll have the biggest buns ever.

I might try. I never liked doing sock buns on myself because they leave those ends, so this is a cool solution. I thought it was how they were meant to be done too, until I learnt!

I love the examples people have posted here too.

Can anyone with a Youtube account ask this lovely lady if she'd like to join us? She seems to have our ethics already, and her hair style ideas would be so helpful!

Coriander
July 22nd, 2009, 04:19 PM
Here's mine... a bit messy due to the layers I'm still growing out. :D

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2409&pictureid=45435

zombi
July 22nd, 2009, 04:30 PM
That girl is the most adorable thing. Her videos are so cute.

Good job all of you who did this! It looks really nice!

Renbirde
July 22nd, 2009, 04:49 PM

Yep. Her YouTube profile says she's from the Netherlands.

Teazel
July 22nd, 2009, 06:01 PM
Teazel??? Teazel?!?!?! Are you in there somewhere?!?!

LOL! :laugh: Yes, it's quite the head-eating monster. :D I like the way it's more casual than the usual sock bun, though - it's got that fluffy, slightly messy thing going on.

Like demitasse, I had to anchor the top with a few pins so it wouldn't flop. For me, the only drawback (well, apart from the rather ridiculous size of the thing!) is that the base is a ponytail. I don't like ponytails: they pull. :/

kirky
July 22nd, 2009, 09:19 PM
I really like the look of this sock bun, and I'll definetly try it out. Hopefully a picture will accompany my review once it's on my head!

Dez
July 22nd, 2009, 11:48 PM
I may try this, i haven't tried a sock bun of any kind yet. my hair is layered, still short and really thick. so alot of styles don't look good on me. i won't know until i try it though!

oh and she is so freakin cute! i love her accent! she's just sweet. LOL

Arctic_Mama
July 23rd, 2009, 01:22 AM
I do hope she joins us sometime, I love the bun and think she'd fit right in!

Flynn
July 23rd, 2009, 02:10 AM
She was, but she was also doing it very gently (comparatively) and made a big point about combing it back out gently, doesn't use heat on her hair, loves coconut oil, S&Ds, etc.

Everything besides the backcombing says she probably is here or somewhere similar.

I don't have sound, so I can't hear her commentary. Was mostly joking, though; no-one who is mean to their hair can make it look that pretty! XD

Dementia1013
July 23rd, 2009, 02:51 AM
I tried this a long time ago... failed miserably and decided It couldn't be done with my length... Now I see Teazels man-eating bun... i'm gonna have to try again. Tomorrow is wash day, so hopefully I'l have pics. :D

Dementia1013
July 23rd, 2009, 03:15 AM
Alright went and tried it again... got it on the first try... *sigh* It looks wicked cool and is really comfy. I have to pin the top a little otherwise it hangs, but i loves it! :D

Trick is to not worry about covering the sock all the way in the beginning. Eventually it will all be covered. This was my downfall before. Pics tomorrow. :D

WavyGirl
July 23rd, 2009, 04:14 AM
(snip)
Can anyone with a Youtube account ask this lovely lady if she'd like to join us? She seems to have our ethics already, and her hair style ideas would be so helpful!

Done! I sent her a link to this thread and asked her to come and have a look.

ETA: I think I may have found my style for the day. :) Thanks for posting the link Leabhar.

Sheltie_Momma
July 23rd, 2009, 06:48 AM
Holy Moly, she is too cute. I've been really considering bangs...but was applying the 2 week rule, she is so cute with her bangs and little side pieces hanging down tho', keeps the updo's very young and fresh looking. Hmmm, will I get bangs this weekend???? I'm not sure yet, but I will for certain be trying out this bun. Thanks OP for posting the link!

LaurelSpring
July 23rd, 2009, 09:59 AM
I am wearing this today! It turned out great. I am very happy with it and it is very comfy also. Wish I had batteries for the camera.

GeoJ
July 23rd, 2009, 12:06 PM
I just tried it!

http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz338/GeoJ_photos/Hair/IMG_7961-1.jpg

It makes a huge bun!
:)

ETA: Sorry it's so huge, I finally learned how to post a photo, but not how to make it smaller!
2nd ETA: I hope I just made it smaller.

Dementia1013
July 23rd, 2009, 12:11 PM
Great googly moogly this is a big bun... I thought I would have to wait until kneelength for these kind of results! :cheese: I think I can try some Ladylonglocks sock buns now. :D

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc224/Dementia1013/IMG_0620.jpg

Coriander
July 23rd, 2009, 12:13 PM
Holy crow - we're all going to be lost in these buns!

Beautiful, ladies :D

ChrissieM
July 23rd, 2009, 12:34 PM
I also thought this was sort of how sock buns were done...I actually tried making one with the sock unrolled and rolling it into a donut with my hair inside the sock. Didn't quite work. I'm off to try this version now...fun!

UrsaMama
July 23rd, 2009, 12:38 PM
This looks like so much fun! I wonder if I could do it at my length.....with layers.......:hmm:

Cherry_Sprinkle
July 23rd, 2009, 01:07 PM
I'm kind of disapointed in how 'small' mine looks compared to some other ladies close to my length :( maybe its the layers

demitasse
July 23rd, 2009, 01:36 PM
UrsaMama: I have layers as short as collarbone even though my length is BSL and this is my second straight day wearing this bun. You just have to keep tucking after each roll. So far no layers have escaped.

A few observations after two days of wearing this bun:

1. Mine can be flattened out a little. When I first make it, it's super puffy but after a little while, I can gently flatten it against my head. It's still big and as wide as my skull, but it's not as deep.

2. I made it work with my spongy netted donut from Sally's. I just slipped the donut over a wide glass and left it there over night. It was stretched out enough the next morning to do this.

3. A scarf looks nice tied around the base with the ends tailing underneath.

4. People will want to stick their fingers into the center of the bun. Evidently this is an irresistible urge. I recommend a sign of some sort.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3428&pictureid=45524

eresh
July 23rd, 2009, 01:43 PM
Wahahahaha brilliant!! :D:D Demitasse

I tried it today and appearantly my sockthingie wasn't big enough or not flexible enough,
I couldn't get all my hair in, so the rest is folded in a loop underneath :rolleyes:

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/655/sockbunrolled1.th.jpg (http://img413.imageshack.us/i/sockbunrolled1.jpg/)

And when taking it out I pinned the smaller wrap to the side of my head haha
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/6424/sockbunrolledhalf.th.jpg (http://img17.imageshack.us/i/sockbunrolledhalf.jpg/)

rhysiana
July 23rd, 2009, 01:47 PM

[...]

4. People will want to stick their fingers into the center of the bun. Evidently this is an irresistible urge. I recommend a sign of some sort.

This is one of the most awesome things I have seen all week. Thank you!

(I love this thread, but have not yet gotten to try it out myself, due to lack of appropriate sock for sacrifice.)

Naamah
July 23rd, 2009, 01:58 PM
Aww, I want to try that. :)

DotDotDot
July 23rd, 2009, 02:56 PM
<snip>

I am! I'm going to try this bun, as well! :eek:

UrsaMama
July 23rd, 2009, 08:00 PM
I did try it and it worked pretty well. One thing I really like about it is that I can get away with a messy look. Usually, with my slicker-than-snot hair, messy means falling out and unstable. It probably does help that my hair is rather in need of a wash at the moment but I think it would work fine freshly washed. I realized that my layers end up being negligible when my hair is pulled up.

Also I was able to do this without the base ponytail. It did take a bit of concentration to make sure I wasn't rolling one portion tighter than the others. But with a few pins around the base it's really quite stable.

julya
July 23rd, 2009, 08:46 PM
I want to try this, but I'm worried that it will wind up tangling my hair. Has anyone noticed excess tangling?

Nyghtingale
July 23rd, 2009, 09:25 PM
I can't wait to try this. It looks SO big.

lundmir
July 24th, 2009, 12:02 AM
I tried it and loved it, but my hair is still too short for it to hold and not look messy. Thanks for the link!

Dementia1013
July 24th, 2009, 12:21 AM
I want to try this, but I'm worried that it will wind up tangling my hair. Has anyone noticed excess tangling?
As long as you go slow and unroll instead of yank it out you should be fine.

Arctic
July 24th, 2009, 06:11 AM
I like this style, so much nicer than the other sock bun! I noticed I really need to use a sock as a base, I tried it first with big fat terry cloth elastic but it wasn't sturdy enough. I decided to sacrifice a sock and voila! Sturdy and easy updo!

julya
July 24th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Yes, you are right Dementia1013, careful unrolling should help. I'll post a pic when I try it.

eresh
July 24th, 2009, 01:45 PM
It didn't leave me with any tangles :)
Just roll it up slowly and take it down even more slow

eadwine
July 24th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Well.. if it doesn't leave you with them, anyone (ok maybe lady godiva not then) can try!

eresh
July 24th, 2009, 01:48 PM
But not all of my hair fitted into my tiny sockthingie ;)
I cheated :o

eadwine
July 24th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Enough fit in there to make a proper assumption though ;)

janiejones
July 24th, 2009, 02:22 PM
This video de-mystified the mysteries of a sock bun for me...I vaguely knew the concept of them, but had never tried it before!

Coriander
July 24th, 2009, 04:10 PM

This is hilarious. I'm willing to go out in public with a sign on, anyone else want to join me? :D

Nyghtingale
July 25th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Ok, first try. I love this bun. I have had so much trouble doing the sock bun, but this works great. Picture is a little blurry, child photographer...

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu115/nyghtingale/bunvortex.jpg

he also kept trying to poke his finger in the whole, weird kid :shrug:

AnneAdeline
July 25th, 2009, 07:23 PM
This bun is amazing! I'll need to try it. The other way to make sock buns pull on my scalp too much. Maybe this will help.

demitasse - You made my day!

Nyghtingale
July 25th, 2009, 07:23 PM
and a side view...
http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu115/nyghtingale/bunvortexsideview.jpg

LaurelSpring
July 27th, 2009, 08:06 AM
This has become my new go to style. I have been wearing it almost every day. Its awesome! Now I have something I can put those big forks through that are too big for my normal puny bun. :eek:

may1em
July 27th, 2009, 08:30 AM
For all those of you who like her bangs, she has a couple videos about how she cuts them - she does them herself.

I need to try harder with this - it could look really cool, but I have trouble at the initial wrapping part.

demitasse
July 27th, 2009, 08:52 AM
For all those of you who like her bangs, she has a couple videos about how she cuts them - she does them herself.

I need to try harder with this - it could look really cool, but I have trouble at the initial wrapping part.

The initial wrap doesn't have to be perfect. Don't worry about fully covering the sock or the donut. Just wrap while using your thumbs to keep pushing the hair inside the donut. It doesn't look neat and perfect going on but use your fingers and thumbs to adjust the hair around the donut as you go.

I hope that makes sense. :)

And I'm glad you guys liked the sign. Boring afternoon at the office last week inspired it. Some of my co-workers are fascinated with this bun and kept sticking their fingers in the center of it.

nmarie33
July 27th, 2009, 10:26 AM
I made this today with a small dress sock and a pantyhose elastic. The bun is pretty big, but it is SUPER comfy. I probably could have done a neater job, but oh well. It's a little trickier with layers (damn you layers!). I'm glad there's a sock bun alternative now that doesn't look quite so harsh.

jivete
July 27th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Would love a big bun. Will try this when I get home & post pictures.

pradabacon
July 27th, 2009, 11:31 AM
I'm in love with this bun. So comfy, and it looks cool too. I've worn it to bed (placed very high) a couple of times and I'm wearing it around the house today. I also have some layers, so it's a little tricky to get it all in neatly, but I'm getting better with practice.

My main issue is that the middle gets a lot tighter than the rest, sometimes before I've reached the crown with the main part of the bun. Any advice on how to avoid that? Sometimes I have to redo a couple of times and I can't really figure out what I'm doing differently when I get it right.

renarok
July 27th, 2009, 11:49 AM
I am wearing this now. I have LOTS of oil in my hair, so it is easily tamed today. I am not sure I could control the size as well with clean hair.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2495/3762820534_314e9572f9_m.jpg
It is large but comfy. It needs some support, so I used a stick. I suggest that while rolling up the bun you use some tension to ensure it doesn't get too floopy, the size of the bun can get very out of hand.

On the other hand, if you are looking to increase bun size, use less tension and you will get a nice large bun.

I found that there was no damage when I unrolled it.

eresh
July 27th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Looks good Renarok!

Coriander
July 27th, 2009, 01:37 PM
That's a large beautiful bun, Renarok :) Thank you for the suggestion for using a hairstick. Even bobby pins wouldn't hold the monster I created LOL

I'm going to try this bun again tomorrow, when I have a day of wandering around town.

renarok
July 27th, 2009, 02:04 PM
and a side view...
http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu115/nyghtingale/bunvortexsideview.jpg
I love your color! So shiny and BIG

Brownie
July 27th, 2009, 03:17 PM
I really like her videos, but I can't do that yet. Maybe I'll try it again tomorrow, today I failed several times :D It always looked extremely messy, uneven and simply ugly. I love the idea and I don't really like the look of the normal sock bun with the length wrapped around it.

ImperfectBrat
July 27th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Hmph. Can not do this thing to save my life. It looks so comfy too. *pout*

freckles
July 27th, 2009, 04:03 PM
I have a ton of sacrificial socks lying around; I'll have to try this :D

Addy
July 27th, 2009, 05:30 PM
I tried this and I had a bear of a time and gave up after 3 tries. :( I just couldn't get my hair to wrap around the sock without another piece falling out and I don't have layers. :rolleyes: Oh well. I tried.

demitasse
July 27th, 2009, 06:32 PM
I tried this and I had a bear of a time and gave up after 3 tries. :( I just couldn't get my hair to wrap around the sock without another piece falling out and I don't have layers. :rolleyes: Oh well. I tried.

Your hair won't wrap around the sock fully until you've done at least two full turns. Just keep turning until you get to the base of the ponytail and it should work.

Reptilia
July 27th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Oh gosh I really like this! And I really like this picture, all virgin hair and very good representation of my natural color, which I find very hard to capture in pictures!

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b396/soserene/sockbunhair.jpg

Coriander
July 27th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Lovely hair and bun, Reptilia :)

Reptilia
July 27th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Thank you! :D

pradabacon
July 27th, 2009, 08:20 PM
I love your color, Reptilia. It reminds me of a tiger's eye stone. Beautiful!

Here's my sock bun (a little messy, but hey, it's for bed). A million thanks to Leabhar for pointing this one out and to Loepsie for doing the tutorial (if she ever comes to see us)! It rocks!

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/hootietoot/sockbun.jpg

rhysiana
July 27th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Well, I knew this bun would look amusing on me, but my first try really wasn't what I had in mind... I ended up with something startlingly close to a rat's nest suspended from 1/3 of a ponytail, at which point my wrists declared they could do no more turning. Needless to say, I did not take a picture. :o

Must try again tomorrow!

pradabacon
July 27th, 2009, 08:55 PM
I've gotten the dangling rat's nest, rhysiana. :laugh: Just a few minutes ago, in fact! It needed a do-over before I could even think of taking a picture...

Tressie
July 27th, 2009, 09:35 PM
I, too, think she is really adorable, and it's a very good video. I had to laugh though when I thought about having one of those buns on each side on my head. I'd be like....."Help me Obi-wan Kenobie"! LOL!!

Leabhar
July 27th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Woot! I am so glad others are loving the variation, and posting their lovely renditions. :D Glad I made some of you laugh--I laughed plenty at myself with this bun. ;)

Dementia1013
July 28th, 2009, 03:28 AM
Ok, so I adore this bun and wore it again today to visit my dad. On the way we had to stop at the post office where this woman with about chin length hair stopped in her tracks and exclaims very dramatically how much she adores my hair and bun. Of course I thanked her before turning back to what I was doing, then she reached up and started to squeeze the bun and stroke my hair....

I kinda smiled as I spun around to confront her then she asked how long my hair was. I told her that I had just reached tailbone roughly 34" To this her expression changed to disgust! "Oh, Is THAT all? I thought it would have been longer" she says than walks over to the end of the line.

I think I just stood there for a moment flattered, shocked and insulted all at the same time. I think I need one of Demitasse's signs...

Arctic
July 28th, 2009, 03:40 AM
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc33/LingonberryMist/Hiukset/20090728003_muoks.jpg

Here's mine, I did it without ponytail base, it's uncombed hair and all but I really like it! This bun is so nice!

Arctic
July 28th, 2009, 03:41 AM
Ok, so I adore this bun and wore it again today to visit my dad. On the way we had to stop at the post office where this woman with about chin length hair stopped in her tracks and exclaims very dramatically how much she adores my hair and bun. Of course I thanked her before turning back to what I was doing, then she reached up and started to squeeze the bun and stroke my hair....

I kinda smiled as I spun around to confront her then she asked how long my hair was. I told her that I had just reached tailbone roughly 34" To this her expression changed to disgust! "Oh, Is THAT all? I thought it would have been longer" she says than walks over to the end of the line.

I think I just stood there for a moment flattered, shocked and insulted all at the same time. I think I need one of Demitasse's signs...

That was weird behaviour! I wonder what went through in her head???

Dementia1013
July 28th, 2009, 03:59 AM
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc33/LingonberryMist/Hiukset/20090728003_muoks.jpg

Here's mine, I did it without ponytail base, it's uncombed hair and all but I really like it! This bun is so nice!

I love your color! You did that without the ponytail base? how did it hold?

Arctic
July 28th, 2009, 04:07 AM
I love your color! You did that without the ponytail base? how did it hold?

Thanks :flower: I'm actually growing it (henna) out :couch:

The bun is holding quite well witout ponytail base, but's it's only been few hours and I haven't done anything other that sitting :)

freckles
July 28th, 2009, 05:16 AM

Wow, how rude.

Brownie
July 28th, 2009, 06:43 AM
I tried it again today because I love the beautiful sock buns in this thread!
I. cannot. do. it. Seriously, either it looks like crap (messy) or like rhysiana I end up with something close to a rat's nest suspended from 1/3 of a ponytail. I even stole a pair of socks from my dad (maybe my socks weren't suitable), but it always looks like I described it above :nono:

Fencai
July 28th, 2009, 07:04 AM
Im gonna give this version a try when i get home tonight.
Just so happens that I have an extra sock lying around that did not become part of my other sock bun form.
the girl in the video is adorable too!

Chanteuse87
July 28th, 2009, 07:26 AM
This bun is PERFECT for the show that I'm in! The costume mistress wanted me to have "big, voluminous hair" and told me to do a regular sock bun... but she wasn't all that happy with the results last night. I'm going to try this one tonight and see what she thinks! She also wanted me to backcomb my hair for volume, but after I get the bun set, if I just sort of tug up from within with the end of a thin makeup brush or a comb, I get the same effect :D I do have to curl and hairspray the crap out of my bangs, but that's not really a big deal. I'm just so happy that I lucked out in getting a protective style for my hair instead of having to set it in rollers every night this week, and for every one of the four shows. w00t!

freckles
July 28th, 2009, 08:04 AM
I really wanted this style to work out for me, but so far when I try it it doesn't work at all :( I think it's because my various hairs are all different lengths and ratty, grr :(

rhysiana
July 28th, 2009, 08:16 AM
I've gotten the dangling rat's nest, rhysiana. :laugh: Just a few minutes ago, in fact! It needed a do-over before I could even think of taking a picture...

Yours turned out so well in the end, though! You've given me hope!

Tressie
July 28th, 2009, 08:57 AM
That was weird behaviour! I wonder what went through in her head???

NOTHING! HER HEAD IS OBVIOUSLY EMPTY! :D

pradabacon
July 28th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Dementia: Don't you love it when you run into a bonafide crazy person in real life? :p I can't imagine molesting someone else's hair without permission.

Okay...to everyone who is having some trouble with this bun: I think the trick is to tuck all around thoroughly with your thumbs before each turn, and kind of flatten as much hair as possible with your palms as you roll. I was putting my fingers down into the bun to do each turn, and I ended up getting it too tight in the middle with the outside hair still flooping out before I reached my head.

I've been getting much better results when I go slowly and tuck and smooth around each turn. It also seems to help if you rotate the bun around (like twist one way on a roll and then twist back the other way on the next one, like a steering wheel) to get more hair in different areas as you go along. Also, it can feel really messy the whole time you are rolling, but it still looks pretty cool at the end. I've been ending up with a looser, more bare place toward the top of the bun almost every time, but you can spread and tuck the hair around to some extent after you've finished it.

I hope that helps someone. I have layers and slippery hair, so it's been a little tricky for me, but I really love it when I get it right. *lol*

freckles
July 28th, 2009, 11:47 AM
I had another go and it worked to some extent. Definitely too loose still though, and doesn't stay up very easily. I'm determined to get it right now I've seen all these successful attempts from other people though! hootietoot, I will definitely be taking your tips into consideration when I next try, thanks!

thankyousir74
July 28th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Done! I sent her a link to this thread and asked her to come and have a look.

ETA: I think I may have found my style for the day. :) Thanks for posting the link Leabhar.

Oops! I sent one to her too >_<

thankyousir74
July 28th, 2009, 02:36 PM

I was thinking of trying it without a pony base as well. My hair is a bit short so it may not be as impressive, but I will give it a try! :D

Islandgrrl
July 28th, 2009, 03:18 PM
I'm totally incapable of taking a picture of the back of my head. But this bun ROCKS. It is ENORMOUS, though!

pradabacon
July 28th, 2009, 03:29 PM
^^^ Ooohh, I bet it looks gorgeous in your hair, Islandgrrl! Your hair is just beautiful!

Islandgrrl
July 28th, 2009, 03:40 PM
^^^ Ooohh, I bet it looks gorgeous in your hair, Islandgrrl! Your hair is just beautiful!

Wooo! Thank you!!! I'm not exactly sure how it looks. I can't see it. But I didn't have to fasten it up with a Ficcarissimo else it's too droopy. :bigeyes:

I'll try again when I'm at home and have toolz.

sapphire-o
July 28th, 2009, 04:13 PM
I'm wearing this right now on top of my head. :) I think I look like a snowman or something. Had to pin it down with a few pins or it's too floppy. I used a white sock and it doesn't show. I think this might be good for even a formal look if you curl some bangs and put some sparkly stuff around it.

Jamme
July 28th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Ah, I love how the soft, voluminous look of this bun! I'm wearing it for sleep tonight, on the top of my head with no pony base, I wonder how it'll look in the morning ;P

demitasse
July 28th, 2009, 04:56 PM
I'm wearing this right now on top of my head. :) I think I look like a snowman or something. Had to pin it down with a few pins or it's too floppy. I used a white sock and it doesn't show. I think this might be good for even a formal look if you curl some bangs and put some sparkly stuff around it.

It looks very nice with a flower peaking out of the side. :)

pradabacon
July 28th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Oh, that does sound pretty, demitasse. I'll have to try that. My husband will think I'm nuts, though, because I am not girly in the least. :laugh: I might actually wear a dress, too! Haha!

Reptilia
July 28th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Oh my. I just took out my bun after wearing it all day (my hair was damp when I put it up) and I'm just in awe of the curls it's created!! I will spend HOURS trying to get this look with heat tools, and it never works out! I'm so excited about this, lol.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b396/soserene/IMG_0529-1.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b396/soserene/IMG_0533.jpg

Fencai
July 28th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Wow Reptillia! That's awesome!!!

Ok guys- here's my first attempt at it!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1359&pictureid=46064

Reptilia
July 28th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Thanks!

I love the added butterfly on your bun, it's so pretty!

Cherry_Sprinkle
July 28th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Wow, beautiful curls Reptilia!

Here is my attempt..
http://www.septemberpixie.com/lj/hair/IMG_4695.jpg

pradabacon
July 28th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Ooooh, nice curls, Reptilia! And I like your buns, Fencai and CherrySprinkle! :eyebrows: CS, it really does look similar to your signature bun. How does it feel in comparison?

Cherry_Sprinkle
July 28th, 2009, 07:12 PM
CS, it really does look similar to your signature bun. How does it feel in comparison?

It's much more comfortable.. my signature bun is a whole lot of sock! I probably should do a tutorial on it lol Its not very comfortable and its very heavy so I don't leave it in all day when I do use that type of bun but this one isn't heavy at all and it actually feels like all that's in there is my hair which is impressive!

plainjanegirl
July 28th, 2009, 07:23 PM
I watched the video but not exactly sure how it is being done?
So you roll the sock up or turn it sideways or what exactly?

Cherry_Sprinkle
July 28th, 2009, 07:49 PM
you just roll the sock up and then you kind of roll your hair in the same rolling motion.

Annushka
July 28th, 2009, 08:18 PM
My attempt, and it really ends up huge! And so very comfortable.
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr326/Porkala/dutchsockbun.jpg

pradabacon
July 28th, 2009, 08:22 PM
^ Nice! Isn't this bun just so big and awesome?! I can't get over it! http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/hootietoot/lol-049.gif

Annushka
July 28th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Thanks!
It just feels good to finally be able to have a big bun, since my fine and thin hair compacts so much in a regular bun.

longhairedfairy
July 29th, 2009, 12:21 AM
UrsaMama: I have layers as short as collarbone even though my length is BSL and this is my second straight day wearing this bun. You just have to keep tucking after each roll. So far no layers have escaped.

1. Mine can be flattened out a little. When I first make it, it's super puffy but after a little while, I can gently flatten it against my head. It's still big and as wide as my skull, but it's not as deep.

2. I made it work with my spongy netted donut from Sally's. I just slipped the donut over a wide glass and left it there over night. It was stretched out enough the next morning to do this.

3. A scarf looks nice tied around the base with the ends tailing underneath.

*almost pees self laughing*:rollin:

longhairedfairy
July 29th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Great googly moogly this is a big bun... I thought I would have to wait until kneelength for these kind of results! :cheese: I think I can try some Ladylonglocks sock buns now. :D

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc224/Dementia1013/IMG_0620.jpg
Dementia, that is a glorious bun! Especially with the color!

It looks very nice with a flower peaking out of the side. :)
Or put a flower in the hole so no one can stick fingers into it.:lol: For some reason I always want people to hide something in their bun-holes (okay, that sounds really wrong), such as a flower or a frog poking its little head out.:p

Fencai
July 29th, 2009, 03:28 AM
thanks ladies!
Im wearing this again today- but with flowers instead of the butterfly.
Im giving it a good go- i have to drive to my boss's house, get on the train for two hours and work in NYC today and then reverse it all to get home! Let's see if this thing holds!

Teazel
July 29th, 2009, 03:59 AM
My attempt, and it really ends up huge! And so very comfortable.
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr326/Porkala/dutchsockbun.jpg

That's beautiful, Annushka! I like the ringletty tendril, too. :)

Annushka
July 29th, 2009, 06:51 AM
Thanks, Teazel!

ImperfectBrat
July 29th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Woohoo I finally did it !!! All it took was me not caring and it worked:D

It is super comfy and so far it seems like it could withstand pretty much anything. Let's see how it hold up with me taking the kiddos to the beach this morning :D. Maybe I can get one of them to take a pic for me.

bakertwins2004
July 29th, 2009, 10:10 AM
I put mine on top of my head last night to sleep. It did not MOVE. The best part.....I have BEAUTIFUL waves today. LOVIN IT!

Sceleste
July 29th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Here's mine:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1600&pictureid=46130

ImperfectBrat
July 29th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Must fight urge to poke Sceleste (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=10202)' bun hole !!

That looks awesome. Did it take you much practice to get that ?

longhairedfairy
July 29th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Must fight urge to poke Sceleste (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=10202)' bun hole !!

Oh, my... :rollin:

kdaniels8811
July 29th, 2009, 04:25 PM
This is an awesome bun! Loads of fun, I look like I have a ton of hair!

plainjanegirl
July 29th, 2009, 04:36 PM
I must be doing something wrong. Alll I get is a tangled mess.

camirra555
July 29th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Looks great ladies! Some of your buns are HUGE! I want to try this but I don't know if it would work so well on curly hair. A regular sock bun works fine for me but this doing this one seems like it would not my hair

Sceleste
July 30th, 2009, 01:55 AM

Oh my... :D
This was my third attempt of a sock bun ever, I instantly snapped a picture when I got a bun good enough to show you.

Any tips for getting the bun tighter? I've practiced some more this morning and it always stays a little too loose, I'd like a very tight bun that I can wrap a scarf around.

tiny_teesha
July 30th, 2009, 04:38 AM
here's my version, wow and yes my hair looks AVERAGE thickness now instead of pea sized! *yay* *squeeee*

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc139/tiny_teesha/My&#37;20Hair/hair%202/July2009_0730212.jpg
(sorry if it's too big photobucket won't let me resize right now i'll try again later)

Also, yes it was my second attempt...still bad, but you DON'T want to see my first attempt. Trust me...haha
Hehe *blush*

freckles
July 30th, 2009, 04:40 AM
I still can't do it, how infuriating. Haha.

Fencai
July 30th, 2009, 06:58 AM
This bun ROCKS!!!!
This will be my third day wearing it, and it could very well by my
"Im too tired to have to think about what to do with my hair this morning before going to work" bun!

It survived the 45 min drive to my boss's house
then 45 min drive to the train station
hour and a half on a full commuter train,
6 hours in a meeting
and then reverse all the traveling back, as well as me sleeping part of the night on it.

I slapped it up before leaving this morning, and wasnt in the office for 15 mins, when I came out of my office to go to the printer, and someone behind me says
"Holy Bun! I love it! Its gorgeous! Are you going someplace special tonight? Its so pretty!"

I thanked them, and said no, that Im wearing it because its so humid out and need my hair pulled back (i placed it higher up on my head instead of being centered today, and I like it even better higher up)

then the comment came.....

"Its so pretty! its even got the perfect little hole in the center!"

LMAO!!!:rollin: It took a lot to not laugh at her as the comments from this thread were running through my head!!
but it made my day!

heidihug
July 30th, 2009, 08:35 AM
So, here it is, from the back. That's the bun, not my entire head, though it looks like a giant hairy head donut from this angle:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=611&pictureid=46226

And, it's a little less ginormous from the side:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=611&pictureid=46227

demitasse
July 30th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Oh my... :D
This was my third attempt of a sock bun ever, I instantly snapped a picture when I got a bun good enough to show you.

Any tips for getting the bun tighter? I've practiced some more this morning and it always stays a little too loose, I'd like a very tight bun that I can wrap a scarf around.

If you want a tighter bun, you should just try the regular sock bun. :) I prefer this one because it's a little looser and doesn't look quite as severe on me. But a regular sock bun sounds like what you're looking for.

Islandgrrl
July 30th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Yay, I'm wearing this massive monster of a bun today. I'm absolutely amazed at how comfortable it is and how it's staying put with pure magic.

heidihug
July 30th, 2009, 09:58 AM
I'm absolutely amazed at how comfortable it is and how it's staying put with pure magic.
I know, Islandgrrl, right? I put in two Good Days pins just to be sure, but I don't think I really needed them.

sedonia
July 30th, 2009, 10:13 AM
I hope I don't gross anyone out or embarrass myself too badly with this.....

I have been keeping hairs that shed after each shampoo (always clean hair) for several months for the purposes of making an updo stuffer. My original idea was to have something I could use as a "bumpit" for crown lift, or something to fatten up a french twist that would match my hair (light auburn). I sort of have it rolled in a ball right now and it is a little bigger than a golfball.

But I could make it into a doughnut shaped thing for this sockbun technique. I don't know, it might tangle my hair during the rolling process.

Fencai
July 30th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Sedonia-
that's how they made the original hair rats back in the day! I dont think its gross!! Good for you!

just moments ago, I FINALLY got the "that's not all your hair!" comment!!! :) i was beaming!!! I said, yes it is! and she said "that's so cool" and came over to poke it, and then had to stick her finger in the hole!
LMAO!!!!

FallenAngel
July 30th, 2009, 11:29 AM
I've tried this on my girls, but for some reason the bun just falls right out. Don't know what I'm doing wrong. They have very slippery, straight hair. Not that long either. Maybe that's the problem?

lundmir
July 30th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Maybe that's it, because mine isn't that long either and it falls out.
That said, I tried it on top of my head to sleep and it gave me beautiful waves! I love this bun.

Leoneska
July 30th, 2009, 02:13 PM
I just tried it with a small yellow (!!! - I have blond hair) sneaker (!!! - and still short hair) sock, and it worked out beautifully! Many thanks for this post!

patience
July 30th, 2009, 02:27 PM
I tried this the other day. I still have problem with the sock showing through because my hair is so thin, but I just have to pay attention to that when I'm wrapping.
This is my attempt...
love the two-tone stripe :)
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3134&pictureid=46293
slightly side angle
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3134&pictureid=46292

bakertwins2004
July 30th, 2009, 03:57 PM
For those with layers or short hair. Try a child's sock. I use a very small sock for mine and it holds great. Also for longer hair use a much bigger sock or even cut a old knit sleeve off a shirt and use that.

Aeon F.
July 30th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Yae! Thank you for posting that video! I love the look of her sock bun :inlove: I've been practicing it tonight, I still can't get it to be perfectly smooth, but it's getting there slowly.

Sorry to hear that yours turned into the dinner roll that ate your head! ;)

going gray
July 30th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Oh I can't wait to be able to do this with my hair. Thanks for posting the video.

pradabacon
July 30th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Mmmmm...dinner roll. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-eatdrink020.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Everyone's buns look great! Errr...I love seeing all these buns. No, wait...just 'Nice job, everybody...Nice job'.

More buns, please!

plainjanegirl
July 30th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Has anybody with thick hair found a way to do this?
My hair is hip length and fairly thick.

pradabacon
July 30th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Have you tried a really thin sock, plainjanegirl? My hair is hip-length too, and just of average thickness, but I tried a thicker sock earlier to make it even bigger (!) and it was a complete mess. A smaller sock works much better for me.

longhairedfairy
July 30th, 2009, 08:42 PM
I hope I don't gross anyone out or embarrass myself too badly with this.....

I have been keeping hairs that shed after each shampoo (always clean hair) for several months for the purposes of making an updo stuffer. My original idea was to have something I could use as a "bumpit" for crown lift, or something to fatten up a french twist that would match my hair (light auburn). I sort of have it rolled in a ball right now and it is a little bigger than a golfball.

But I could make it into a doughnut shaped thing for this sockbun technique. I don't know, it might tangle my hair during the rolling process.
Maybe if you could stuff it into an invisible hair net and then stitch it into the right shape (as long as it still stretches enough with the stitching) it wouldn't tangle. I don't know if it would work, but it's a thought.:)

bakertwins2004
July 30th, 2009, 08:43 PM
roll up a knee high or a long sleeve cut off a shirt. That way you have a big hole int he middle to hold all your length and thickness. I have to do the opposite and use a tiny kids sock ;o)

demitasse
July 30th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Has anybody with thick hair found a way to do this?
My hair is hip length and fairly thick.

I don't think it's your thickness but your length that's giving you problems. I'm a iii+ and have been wearing it comfortably everyday for a week or so. This might be just one of those styles we eventually grow out of a la the French Twist.

pradabacon
July 30th, 2009, 09:26 PM
^ Could be, demitasse. I'm hip-length, but I'm also really short so I probably have less overall length than most people who are at hip or longer.

Smokering
July 30th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Tried it! :)

First try was... uh... not so good.
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa174/Smokeyfish/Badsockbun.jpg
Though kinda arty, at that.
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa174/Smokeyfish/Badsockbun2.jpg

The second try won't be winning any beauty contests, but it worked - more or less.
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa174/Smokeyfish/Bigsockbun2.jpg
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa174/Smokeyfish/Bigsockbun.jpg
In any case I deemed it sufficiently Done to wear outside the house (what can I say, my standards have slipped), and took it for a walk to the supermarket. No comments. Oh well. :p

Aeon F.
July 30th, 2009, 10:07 PM
hehe- Smokering, your 1st attempt looks a lot like mine too! It's way tricker in real life than it looked in the youtube video.

I kept doing it and redoing it over and over- and it got *a little* better ... still not as super smooth as the video though.

Bonus from the practicing- after I got a half-way decent one, I left it in a while (too lazy to take it out!) and when I just took it out now- I got some nice bouncy waves from it!! :D And all I had in my hair was just a few drops of my daily coconut oil rub.

pradabacon
July 30th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Ahahaha, Smokering!!! I actually really like the super messy one! It's funky!
:cheese:

Nice job on the second one, too. I think this bun is still totally cute when it's a little messy.

Aeon F.
July 30th, 2009, 10:45 PM
hootie- for some reason your siggy wasn't showing up before, but now I see it- and wow!! I love your sock bun!! So smooth and shiny! It's just how I want mine to look like. :D

pradabacon
July 30th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Oh thank you, Aeon!

Half the time mine turns out messy and half the time it works out fine. I still haven't quite figured out what I'm doing to get one result or the other. But I dig it both ways!

Raponsje
July 30th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Hip hip hurray for this bun! I was surprised it only took three tries to get it right. And it stayed in all day! My hair is fine and slippery, so I am used to buns heading south and redoing my hairdo somewhere along the day.
http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd347/kramerharmke/P1010531.jpg?t=1249016469

pradabacon
July 30th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Wow, Raponsje! That's huge! Looks great! :thumbsup:

longhairedfairy
July 30th, 2009, 11:25 PM
hootietoot, I love your signature! :lol:

pradabacon
July 30th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Haha! Thanks, longhairedfairy. I was a weeeee bit bored this evening. http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/hootietoot/lol-1.gif

daydreamer
July 30th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Here are my double bread buns! I didn't get a picture of the big fat single one I had earlier... but I LOVED it! I thought it would be hard on my hair with snapping and such but I didn't get any of that. It was a lot easier than I thought.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3488/3773642139_eaab686b94.jpg

Oh yeah, and when my dad saw this he said, "Princess Leia"! Ha ha.

heatheradair
July 31st, 2009, 09:01 AM
There are all sorts of things wrong with this picture, including, but not limited to, my unmentionables drying in the background, the little white fuzzball in my hair, and the messiness of my sock bun...

But!

This is my first attempt at a sock bun, ever, and I tried the method that you linked to!

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/maybe2k3/random/Photo372.jpg

I had no idea that my APL hair could look so poufy! This is exciting :)

pradabacon
July 31st, 2009, 02:16 PM
Daydreamer, I used to wear my hair in two little buns on top of my head like that! I called 'em teddybear buns. :p I need to try that with this style of bun. Cute!

Heatheradair, your bun looks great! I do like it a little messy...it gives it a more fun feel. You can adjust some once it's at your head, I've found. I always have a few pieces that are tighter or looser, so I either tuck the loose ones way under with my thumb or I pull some of the tighter ones out a bit. I like the way you have your ponytail a bit looser, too. It makes the overall look softer, which really fits this bun well.

It looks a little like a flower with alternating tight and loose places, though. I might see if I can get that to go all the way around. Cool!

heatheradair
July 31st, 2009, 02:35 PM
I never even thought of trying to get the variation in taughtness all around - I'll need to play with this style some more, because I'm going to a wedding in August and would love to have some fun hair for it!

Also, I thought I'd mention the way I made my sock-donut thing, as I noticed that others posted about the sock showing through because of thin hair. I have thin hair! I used a regular ankle-length white sock AND a nude-colored panty-hose knee sock. I put the pantyhose one inside the regular white sock, then rolled outwards. This way, I got the added volume of the white sock, but the tightness and color of the pantyhose one. The white sock on its own was too loose, because my hair is thin, but layering it with the pantyhose sock worked great (for a first attempt anyway).

pradabacon
July 31st, 2009, 03:05 PM
Great tip, heather! :thumbsup:

HennaFaerie
July 31st, 2009, 03:40 PM
Wow! I didn't think I'd be able to do this. Not bad for shoulder-length hair :D
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q41/kittycharlette/LHC/sockbun.jpg

plainjanegirl
July 31st, 2009, 05:41 PM
I don't think it's your thickness but your length that's giving you problems. I'm a iii+ and have been wearing it comfortably everyday for a week or so. This might be just one of those styles we eventually grow out of a la the French Twist.

Maybe it is cause of my length. All of the pics of this bun are beautiful.
I am really really envious of the curls people are getting from this bun. Does anybody know if a regular sock bun will give curls like that?

demitasse
July 31st, 2009, 05:44 PM
Maybe it is cause of my length. All of the pics of this bun are beautiful.
I am really really envious of the curls people are getting from this bun. Does anybody know if a regular sock bun will give curls like that?

Everyone's different. I don't get bun curls. I get huge bun lumps. Although with a regular sock bun, you're wrapping most of the length around the bun rather than rolling it inside the sock.

Maddy25
July 31st, 2009, 05:47 PM
I just did that sock bun in my moms hair to practice as mine is too short and it looked so great!!!

pradabacon
July 31st, 2009, 06:17 PM
^ Did she like it, Maddy?

HennaFaerie - very nice. Love your color!

Plainjanegirl - I don't get bun curls either. Just a funny bend at the end and some randomly placed waves. I'm not very symmetrical when I'm rolling up. Why don't you try doing two of these and see what happens? Maybe you will get some curls.

bakertwins2004
July 31st, 2009, 06:18 PM
I get the curls because I use a tiny small sock and wrap it just to sleep so I don't spread it to cover the sock. I will maybe do a tutorial on how I get the curls sometime.

pradabacon
July 31st, 2009, 06:28 PM
Oh, TorrinPaige has an awesome tutorial on getting super-wavy curls, too (you might have seen it before). It isn't a curl like this bun makes for some people, but it's an amazing and different look. I can't wait to try this. I've always wanted big hair! :D

http://www.youtube.com/user/torrinpaige#play/uploads/24/R0NMLSUICp4

pradabacon
July 31st, 2009, 06:34 PM
I get the curls because I use a tiny small sock and wrap it just to sleep so I don't spread it to cover the sock. I will maybe do a tutorial on how I get the curls sometime.

Do you mean you don't roll all the way up? Or you just roll straight up without worrying about spreading the hair around the circle? I definitely want to know. :) Those curls look so pretty on you.

PJG...you might also try this technique from Elainehali. This one's on my to-do list, too.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=82

Maddy25
July 31st, 2009, 06:38 PM
^ Did she like it, Maddy?

Plainjanegirl - I don't get bun curls either. Just a funny bend at the end and some randomly placed waves. I'm not very symmetrical when I'm rolling up. Why don't you try doing two of these and see what happens? Maybe you will get some curls.

Yeah she loved it :) She never wears her hair up and she wants me to do it for her to go to work some mornings! I also just learned the fishtail braid and the rope braid for her so at least I can practice for when my hair is long hehe :cheese:

Nyghtingale
July 31st, 2009, 07:00 PM
I love all the buns, everyones looks so nice. the is a really comfy style too.

plainjanegirl
July 31st, 2009, 07:16 PM
I love all the buns, everyones looks so nice. the is a really comfy style too.

were you able to do this with your hair ( since I think your hair is longer than mine) ?

plainjanegirl
July 31st, 2009, 07:21 PM

yes you should try to do a tutorial of how you are doing this.

Oh, TorrinPaige has an awesome tutorial on getting super-wavy curls, too (you might have seen it before). It isn't a curl like this bun makes for some people, but it's an amazing and different look. I can't wait to try this. I've always wanted big hair! :D

http://www.youtube.com/user/torrinpaige#play/uploads/24/R0NMLSUICp4

thanks . I have seen this one by torrinpaige and sometimes it works and sometimes it don't.:cool: My hair is tempermental.

Do you mean you don't roll all the way up? Or you just roll straight up without worrying about spreading the hair around the circle? I definitely want to know. :) Those curls look so pretty on you.

PJG...you might also try this technique from Elainehali. This one's on my to-do list, too.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=82

I may have to try this one sometime, but first I'll have to find something to cut into strips.

pradabacon
July 31st, 2009, 07:26 PM
Yeah, me too. I'm trying to remember if I have a spare curtain or twin sheet anywhere...

daydreamer
July 31st, 2009, 07:45 PM
Also, I thought I'd mention the way I made my sock-donut thing, as I noticed that others posted about the sock showing through because of thin hair. I have thin hair! I used a regular ankle-length white sock AND a nude-colored panty-hose knee sock. I put the pantyhose one inside the regular white sock, then rolled outwards. This way, I got the added volume of the white sock, but the tightness and color of the pantyhose one.

That is a great idea! I'm totally going to do this! I am currently using dark gray socks so they don't really peek through too much, but I'd love a tighter fit.

HennaFaerie
July 31st, 2009, 08:18 PM
Thanks hootietoot! :flower:

Jemoiselle
August 1st, 2009, 12:19 AM
Awesome! Here are my pics! It's big, I'm happy! With baby fine hair at just past TB length I doubted I would be able to do this one, but thankfully I pulled it off the second time around. Here are the pics!
Thank you so much for sharing this!

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_k-wURBYDpMg/SnPbrhaxrFI/AAAAAAAAAdE/WMEKYsaoYew/s640/DSC02574.JPG

By the way, I have no pony holding this in, JUST the sockie.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_k-wURBYDpMg/SnPcGZ8Wg5I/AAAAAAAAAdk/t011LC3Iu50/s640/DSC02573.JPG

Thank you thank you! :D

rags
August 1st, 2009, 12:31 AM
Sigh, I just can't do this no matter how often I try. It's the same problem I have with the regular sock bun; even with a toddler's sock, I don't have enough hair (thickness, not length!) to cover it. I have tried the pantyhose thing, also. Still a no go.

I so wanted this to work! Any other F/i's out there able to do this?

Arctic
August 1st, 2009, 02:50 AM
Suggestion to i thickness folks: maybe you could wrap fake hair of your own colour around the sock, or even your own shed and collected hairs so the sock-rat would mach your hair perfectly. then no worries if your own hair is not thick enough, no-one will notice!

halo_tightens
August 1st, 2009, 10:57 AM
OH my, this look is gorgeous!! I can't wait until my hair is long enough to do a great big fat one!! It's clean and simple, and still looks quite elegant. I can see the appeal for sleeping, as well.

ipickee
August 2nd, 2009, 09:53 AM
Wow Jemoiselle, your hair is just beautiful! I love the look of the Sock Bun. I'm going to try it today before I cwc.

Heidi_234
August 3rd, 2009, 09:39 AM
Hey guys, question - would you think this bun will make a good sleeping bun? It's one of the very rare buns that don't require a hairstick. What do you reckon?

demitasse
August 3rd, 2009, 09:55 AM
Hey guys, question - would you think this bun will make a good sleeping bun? It's one of the very rare buns that don't require a hairstick. What do you reckon?

Several people in the thread mention sleeping with it. Some put it on top of their heads or skip the ponytail base. If it's comfortable for you, why not?

Heidi_234
August 3rd, 2009, 10:21 AM
Several people in the thread mention sleeping with it. Some put it on top of their heads or skip the ponytail base. If it's comfortable for you, why not?
That's true. The only adverse aspect is the way you do and undo it, can't say it 100% hair friendly with all the pushing and rolling hair, and then unrolling it, and doing all that every single day.

demitasse
August 3rd, 2009, 10:27 AM
That's true. The only adverse aspect is the way you do and undo it, can't say it 100% hair friendly with all the pushing and rolling hair, and then unrolling it, and doing all that every single day.

You could argue that no updo is 100% hair friendly. :)

I guess it just depends on your hair. My is thick, coarse, and undamaged, so less prone to damage. I'm careful when I roll it and don't hurry. Haven't yet felt any pulls or heard that awful snapping sound so I think I'm all right.

I'd think it's a great style if you want to heavily oil your hair and keep it off your pillow and skin. Just roll the oiled hair inside the bun.

pradabacon
August 3rd, 2009, 10:36 AM
^^^Yep, I love it for oiling. It freaks me out to oil with braids, because I tend to break out and I don't want them touching my face and back.

I've been sleeping in this bun quite a bit. I'm definitely going to try it without the base pony, though, since I'm a little concerned about putting a pony in the same place all the time. Of course, I always did that before joining LHC and my hair seems to have survived, so I'm not that concerned. :smile:

pradabacon
August 3rd, 2009, 10:39 AM
Your hair is so shiny, Jemoiselle! The bun looks great!

Aeon F.
August 3rd, 2009, 10:44 AM
Jemoiselle, your sock bun looks great! Huge! :D (Also, by the way- the kitty in your siggy picture is the cutest cat I've seen!)

I haven't tried making a sock bun without a band/pony tail holder in... hrrm, maybe I'll try it without one for sleeping. If I put a little spray (either kimberlily's defrizz spray or herbal essenses new tousle me softly spray gel) on my hair & then wrap up in a sock bun and let dry, and take it out in the morning- I get some nice bun waves! I have a pic of the 1st waves I got in my hair album.

Velvettt
August 4th, 2009, 04:42 AM
Okay, this is pretty cool. My very first try! I'm shocked, because my hair is baby fine and keeping it all in place while I wrapped this should have been like nailing jello to a tree.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb245/Velvettts/sockbun809.jpg

The only thing wrong with it is that tiny little bit of pink in the centre hole -- my scrunchie.

Mirmy
August 4th, 2009, 05:34 AM
I tried this bun at the weekend and it worked a treat:) Only thing was my mum and sister had a good laugh over how big it was!! I think with a little practice I'll get it tighter. Do you tighten the bun after each turn (by pulling it gently down)? I found I needed something to secure it to my head - I tried screws and they worked ok.

pradabacon
August 4th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Okay, this is pretty cool. My very first try! I'm shocked, because my hair is baby fine and keeping it all in place while I wrapped this should have been like nailing jello to a tree.

The only thing wrong with it is that tiny little bit of pink in the centre hole -- my scrunchie.

Nailing jello to a tree! LOL http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/hootietoot/lol.gif

Your hair color is beautiful! I can't see the scrunchie at all.

pradabacon
August 4th, 2009, 11:42 AM
I tried this bun at the weekend and it worked a treat:) Only thing was my mum and sister had a good laugh over how big it was!! I think with a little practice I'll get it tighter. Do you tighten the bun after each turn (by pulling it gently down)? I found I needed something to secure it to my head - I tried screws and they worked ok.

I do try to tighten mine after each turn...not that it always works. Sometimes my hair cooperates and sometimes it doesn't. I find it's easier to tighten and stays together better when my hair has a little oil in it. But I like it poofy, too.

julya
August 4th, 2009, 11:43 AM

I can't see your scrunchie at all either. Looks great to me! I have still not had any success with making this bun myself. Perhaps I do need a bigger sock to roll onto. I've been using a baby sock.

rags
August 4th, 2009, 11:47 AM
I have admitted defeat with this bun. I thought maybe it would be better than the regular sock bun for me, as with the rolling I could space out the hair more. I STILL don't have enough hair (and I'm using a baby sock). My hair is APL but it's so thin, it just won't cover the whole sock. Dang it, I really wanted it to work too.:(

Arctic
August 4th, 2009, 01:32 PM
I have admitted defeat with this bun. I thought maybe it would be better than the regular sock bun for me, as with the rolling I could space out the hair more. I STILL don't have enough hair (and I'm using a baby sock). My hair is APL but it's so thin, it just won't cover the whole sock. Dang it, I really wanted it to work too.:(

Did you notice my suggestion of covering the sock/rat with either fake hair or your real, shed hairs (If you have been collecting them, that is). Then your sock would match you hair.

Sissy
August 12th, 2009, 03:47 PM
this looks really cool... I'll have to try it!

Jeni
August 12th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Alright, I was able to do it the first time I tried (messily but a recognizable sock bun) and haven't been able to do it since. Arg! I loved having a giant bun!!!! *goes and pouts*

Velvettt
August 12th, 2009, 09:07 PM
I've done it several times since the first one and it comes out perfectly every time. How amazing. Just one problem with it, though. My DH took one look at it and said, "That's the ultimate old lady bun." He hates "old lady" hair. :(

pradabacon
August 12th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Whaaa?! I think it's adorable! I should ask my DH what he thinks of it. He usually says something when he likes or dislikes a style. This one got no comment, so I think he's neutral on it...

masterofmidgets
August 12th, 2009, 09:52 PM
I tried this a couple times because it looks so neat, but I had a really hard time when I got down to the last several inches of hair. It was difficult to keep rolling the sock, I couldn't keep it smooth, and it didn't feel secure. I had better luck using just a rolled knee-high stocking instead of a sock, but it still felt wobbly.

Anyone else have this problem, or do I just need more practice?

AuntyClaus
August 12th, 2009, 10:16 PM
I'm trying this one tomorrow. :)

pradabacon
August 12th, 2009, 10:24 PM
I tried this a couple times because it looks so neat, but I had a really hard time when I got down to the last several inches of hair. It was difficult to keep rolling the sock, I couldn't keep it smooth, and it didn't feel secure. I had better luck using just a rolled knee-high stocking instead of a sock, but it still felt wobbly.

Anyone else have this problem, or do I just need more practice?

I have had this issue too, and I can't figure out why. Sometimes it's tight as a drum (but still comfy) and I can sleep in it without it going anywhere, and sometimes it's wobbly and I have to take it out and start over. I still dig it, though.

LaurelSpring
August 13th, 2009, 07:38 AM
I love this bun so much I have been wearing it quite alot lately. It always feel secure and so princess like. Anyway, I think someone was making fun of my bun! I was at Giant getting a salad and when I got to the check out one of the check out girls had her back to me snickering and the guy at the check out was saying ..."something to hang on to". I could be paranoid, but I am pretty sure it was about me. Funny thing though, it didnt bother me! I love my hair in this bun so much I really didnt give a darn. It was more of an each to their own moment.

skay
August 16th, 2009, 11:45 PM
In regards to the tutorial video:

Someone give this girl her own video show! She's adorable! (p.s. Just expressing - not necessarily serious about whether or not she should have a video show :) (but I say why not ;) ) ).

I wore the 2 sock buns and all went fine. (Note: my length currently is APL).

Granted, I went to a Harajuku (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harajuku) store grand-opening event :magic: :cake: (basically has the L0lita-type fashion and many people were wearing
Harajuku outfits around the streets in public that day.

So, I didn't stand out as much. ;)

Photo I took (during the fashion show portion):

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/sgeo/hair/fashion-show-red-white.jpg

It looks like the model above is wearing a sock bun of some sort, too (but I think it's more teased or something).

I don't have any good pics as I only have a small video camera so the quality isn't definite. Someone said she liked my hairstyle (after I commented I thought her black/white outfit was cool).

Anyway, after a couple of tries, I successfully did the sock bun.

My tip for doing the hairstyle:

Roll without looking. Basically, be sure to roll on all 4 parts of the circle - roll and push up - and move to a different part of the circle.. It may start messy, but usually finishes pretty neat.

Also, perhaps make sure the tips of the fair are spread out in the sock first, as much as possible, and then start rolling.

p.s. I didn't wear Harajuku-style clothing - just some fun clothes, etc.

little_acorn
August 17th, 2009, 12:55 AM
Your sock buns were all so amazing that I had to try! Here is attempt number 1!!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3744&pictureid=48040

Velvettt
August 17th, 2009, 06:02 AM
I was watching an old classic movie, Bedtime Story, starring Loretta Young and darned if she didn't wear her hair in what looked like 2 sock buns.

Picture here. (http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2861602816/nm0949835)

Loepsie
August 17th, 2009, 03:02 PM
I have to say I am so honored that all of you are trying my sock bun =D I had no idea that it would cause so much happiness and I am really glad it works on very long hair.

As for the accent, I am Slowakian-born Dutch so it could be a mixture of those, perhaps?

I can relate to the bun-hole-poking thing, somehow it seems to attract fingers xD Very strange indeed

All your buns look amazing, thank you so much for trying them :)

- The girl from the video
(Yeah, after getting invited by about 6 people I joined the LHC :P)

Cherry_Sprinkle
August 17th, 2009, 03:10 PM
I have to say I am so honored that all of you are trying my sock bun =D I had no idea that it would cause so much happiness and I am really glad it works on very long hair.

As for the accent, I am Slowakian-born Dutch so it could be a mixture of those, perhaps?

I can relate to the bun-hole-poking thing, somehow it seems to attract fingers xD Very strange indeed

Welcome to the boards!! :flowers: I'm so happy you joined us! :cheese:

Little_Bird
August 17th, 2009, 03:34 PM
God, she can do so many styles! I wish I could do that 5 strand braid :D

I guess I gotta practice! :eyebrows:

Thank's so much for sharing!

kdaniels8811
August 17th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Welcome, Loepsie! and thank you for the sock bun idea, I love it! This is a great community for sharing ideas and growing our hair long and especially healthy. Glad you joined us.

Coriander
August 17th, 2009, 04:58 PM

Welcome! I'm so thrilled that you've joined us. :flowers: My sock bun is getting better every time I try it. Thanks again for helping us through!

little_acorn
August 17th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Hi Loepsie!!

Welcome! I'm glad you've joined us at LHC. :flowers: :D

My hubby thought my first attempt at your sock bun was very pretty - so I'm keeping it as a new bun for regular use!

LaurenH
August 17th, 2009, 06:52 PM
I'm still practicing this bun, but hopefully I'll get the hang of it eventually... It's difficult with my layers.

Welcome Loepsie, glad you're here! :) I like your videos!

Renbirde
August 17th, 2009, 07:34 PM
WONDERFUL to see you here, Loepsie!

Susana
August 17th, 2009, 09:23 PM
I LOVE THIS BUN!!!!! Thank you so much for posting!!!!!!!!!!!!:cheese: Here is mine (SO NICE, COMFY AND BIG!!!!!!!!!)http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3752&pictureid=48177
P.S. The sock I used was black, so I am not sure what that red/gold thingy is in the bun.....probably another shade of my multi-colored sun hair

Susana
August 17th, 2009, 09:31 PM

:cheese::cheese:YAY WELCOME:cheese::cheese: I've been watching more of your videos and I absolutely love them!! I am sooooo happy you posted the sock bun video with your secret. I have just started making suck buns, but your style is the best!! SOOOO COMFORTABLE!!!!! I had to use like 10 pins before to secure the extra hair, but with yours, one hair elastic and the suck bun was all I needed!! I am so grateful, it is such a relief in this heat (seriously my apartment is like a sauna in here, I have taken like 5 ice showers today and I am sweating!!). Thank you:):)

Heavenly Locks
August 17th, 2009, 09:32 PM
I agree with everyone else, welcome Loepsie!! :disco:

I tried this bun for the first time today and it looked SO good that I am wearing it out! I love that it's only a sock and a hair tie. My bun looks huge, and I LOOVE that!

Susana
August 17th, 2009, 09:35 PM

OH!! And your hair is gorgeous ( I love the pic, beautiful style). You may have inspired me to get bangs again!!

Susana
August 17th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Side View http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3752&pictureid=48179

LadyGunn
August 18th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Welcome Loepsie and thank you! This method absolutely rocks! I just tried it for the first time on my lunch hour & have started calling it the "Sweet Mother of Batman!" sock bun, since that was my reaction upon seeing it in the mirror. :D My mom gasped & started laughing when she saw it. I'll have to get a picture when I get home tonight.

ETA: My hair is hip length (36 in / 91.44 cm) & I had a little trouble starting it but it turned out fine.

pradabacon
August 18th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Side View http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3752&pictureid=48179

Very pretty! :thumbsup:

Susana
August 18th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Very pretty! :thumbsup:

Thank you:cheese: your bun is really pretty too, LOL, i love the saying

kirky
August 18th, 2009, 01:24 PM
It's great to have a YOUTUBE celebrity like LOEPSIE join our group!

pradabacon
August 18th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Thank you:cheese: your bun is really pretty too, LOL, i love the saying

Thanks! :D

Leabhar
August 18th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Welcome to LHC, Loepsie! I love your videos. Thank you for this lovely variation!