PDA

View Full Version : When you travel

Ella Menneau P.
July 21st, 2009, 07:45 PM
Do you maintain your washing routine?

I'm wondering if being at the beach for 4 days would require anything special. I currently CO, and not every day.

HappyHair87
July 21st, 2009, 07:47 PM
When i went to Puerto Rico a few months back....I did co-wash. Esp bc the beach water made my hair really dry...along with the heat....I had to kinda simplify my routine.

teela1978
July 21st, 2009, 08:49 PM
You probably don't have to do a CO wash every day... but you probably do want to rinse out as much salt as you can daily. How your hair will tolerate it highly depends on your hair. Mine seems to like salt water, others have problems.

sweet*things
July 21st, 2009, 11:27 PM
I do. I take all my products with me now. I had a couple vacations when I was younger that turned into bad hair weeks, and I don't need that when I'm trying to relax. :laugh:

Cherry_Sprinkle
July 21st, 2009, 11:36 PM
I try to take what I need and that will pack well, so coconut oil instead of olive oil and things like this... but I do try to stay as close to my normal routine as I can.

Amara
July 22nd, 2009, 12:58 AM
Haven't been to the beach with my routine.

When I travel in general, I usually wash right beforehand and then don't wash until I get home again, if the trip is 1-4 or 5 days, just so that my routine doesn't get disturbed. I just bring my little spritzy bottle and wear it up.

Flynn
July 22nd, 2009, 01:01 AM
For beach times, (I live near the beach, so, y'know...) I rinse and condition (not a CO) on my normal non-wash days and then just wash and condition normally on wash days.

Calista
July 22nd, 2009, 01:32 AM
For shorter trips I do it like Amara and try to avoid washing altogether. My haircare routine mainly consists of washing once a week (shampoo bar+vinegar rinse), wearing my hair up and oiling at night, so if I stay at a house, hotel etc. it´s no problem to keep up the regimen.

When I go hiking in Norway I try not to wash at all for three weeks, because it is a real pain in the butt to try and wash with a shampoo bar in a camping ground shower that gives you exactly three minutes of hot water in exchange for 10 NOK, after wich you have to step out of the shower and insert a new coin. So basically my hair goes up and under a buff or woolen hat.

LittleOrca
July 22nd, 2009, 01:43 AM
Do you maintain your washing routine?

I'm wondering if being at the beach for 4 days would require anything special. I currently CO, and not every day.

I did maintain mine when I went to California for 2 weeks. At the beach, I tend to wash my hair a little more often than I do at home just because of the salt in the air. After spending a day by the waterside, I can feel my hair is off.

Wicked Princess
July 22nd, 2009, 01:43 AM
It depends on how long my vacation or business trip lasts, and what I do during it. You can't expect me to not take a dip in the pool, if there is one! Or the ocean for that matter.

I always get a travel bottle for my shampoo and conditioner (I can usually find them for a dollar or two at the store) just in case something happens, even if I don't do something, like say swimming. My grandmother teases me, likening it to bringing extra pairs of underwear or shoes "just in case", hehe.

If it's only two or three days, though, I just make sure that my hair has been "attended to" the night before I leave, and I don't fuss with it for the duration of my trip.

free_hug
July 22nd, 2009, 01:50 AM
Normally sea & sunshine kills my hair quite rapidly. Last time (last week that is) i just covered my head (straw hat, bandana), and rinsed thoroughly & conditioned after every swim in the sea. And my hair survived quite well. It's short though. But being killed by too much saltwater and sun applies even when it's short :o and a little more care still helps a lot.

storytellerzero
July 22nd, 2009, 02:08 AM
I find the air at the beach to be sticky. I always braid my hair rather tightly to try to protect most of it from the air etc. The fly-aways still get a little tangly but it's better than the whole length doing so.

magpielaura
July 22nd, 2009, 02:31 AM
A few years ago (before LHC....) DH and I quit our jobs, bought round-the-world airline tickets and had an 11 month holiday:cheese:

Not such a holiday for my hair though since I decided to save carrying many products by using DH's Head&shoulders 2in1. I brought a small bottle of leave in for my ends. Due to dust and sweat I washed it every two days or even every day. I didn't tie it up when I should have, or wear a sun hat. Salt water got baked on, I only had a rubbish comb with me.....Had I known LHC things back then I would have used the oppertunity to try Water only, or Indian herbs. Instead I'll be trimming off straw for some time to come!

Now my holiday routine is a simple version of my normal one. I don't bother with vinegar rinses, and have a bottle of cheap condish for CO plus a little bottle of shampoo for quicker washes when long rinsing is not possible. I will have coconut oil for heavy pre-swim oiling and light afterwash smoothing.

Aditi
July 22nd, 2009, 02:40 AM
It depends entirely on time, place and hair. When i am travelling sometimes i don't get time to wash my hair perfectly like i do at home or if i am at a place where hair gets dirty easily then have to wash them every two days, so far i have not been able to follow my daily routine while i am travelling or vacationing.

Ella Menneau P.
July 22nd, 2009, 06:25 AM
Thanks for all the replies! I'll probably be splitting time between pool and ocean, so I'll be bringing my jojoba along to oil in the evenings. :)

Carolyn
July 22nd, 2009, 07:14 AM
Any time I swim in a pool, lake, or the ocean I CO my hair. I don't think a simple rinse with just water gets out the salt and the chlorine. This can mean doing a wet bun for going out to dinner after a day at the beach. I try to oil my hair up good before going in the water. If I'm not swimming, I still CO or CWC about every other day. I like my hair to look nice when I'm on vacation.

carinkla
July 22nd, 2009, 07:46 AM
I have the luxury of having to wash only once a week and with shampoo and leave in. So for a short break I do not take anything with me for my hair (exept brush and elastics) only if I go for longer then a week and then I only have to take shampoo and leave in and its easy to maintain my routine. Have to plan good though since I need hours for my hair to dry ;)

ZadenWillowfyre
July 22nd, 2009, 08:05 AM
Most of the time yes. However, usually I'm not gone for more than a week at the most so I typically just wash before I go and not worry about it until I get back.

charlyee
July 22nd, 2009, 08:09 AM
I try to maintain my routine as much as I can and modifiy according to what I will be doing that day or in other words what I will subjecting my hair to that day. Typically I found that washing my hair at night works out the best on vacations for me.

Proginoskes
July 22nd, 2009, 08:55 AM
I usually end up changing my routine at least a little. I figure if I'm traveling, the differences in weather and water will demand it if I want to look at least decent. I try to figure out ahead of time what those differences might be, like by checking the weather and trying to find out if the region had harder or softer water than I'm used to. I'm getting better at figuring it out than I used to be, but I do get mixed results. :rolleyes: :p

jel
July 22nd, 2009, 09:08 AM
During beach holidays, I rinse my hair with fresh water after every swim in the sea. In the evening, I do a regular CWC with diluted shampoo and an intensive conditioner as the second C, probably every other day - depending on the state of my hair and scalp. On other evenings, I do a light CO rinse (wet hair, apply light conditioner, rinse). In the morning, I usually dampen my braid with fresh water then oil lightly.

At home, my regular routine is CWC twice a week or less.