PDA

View Full Version : Hair extensions for bangs only?

Curlsgirl
July 21st, 2009, 07:12 PM
I have always wanted to grow my bangs ALL the way out so I can see what they actually look like but I can't get past the awkward stage. I don't really like hair extensions but if I wanted to try them could I just do my bangs? I know salons won't do that but could I do them myself just on the bangs?

GlassEyes
July 21st, 2009, 07:22 PM
You could just get clip-ins. :shrug: You don't have to get weave if you don't want to. I don't see why you can't use extensions.

That said, I'd use headbands and other stuff to push it back and ignore it. Cheaper.

SeaShell
July 21st, 2009, 07:32 PM
I'm not sure but I think that the extensions are visible where they attach to the rest of your hair. Normally extensions go under the layers of your hair so they are hidden, but if they are on your bangs I think you would be able to see where they attach? I'm growing out my bangs and they are past chin length so I just tuck them under the rest of my hair with a bobby pin and you can;t see them. Maybe you could just grow yours out a little and pin them?! :shrug:

Bellalalala
July 21st, 2009, 07:35 PM
I know that there are clip on bangs for people with long hair who want to fake short bangs, but I know nothing about the reverse.

It's probably best to go talk to your local hair supply store if you have one in your area.

GlassEyes
July 21st, 2009, 07:48 PM
Yeah, you'll see a demarcation between the bangs and the hair, but if the hair isn't too long, it'll just look long and layered, depending. Maybe. :shrug:

Amara
July 22nd, 2009, 01:35 AM
Don't know if there is such a thing, but that'd be handy! :D

I JUST got past the most awkward bang-growing stage for me (from eyebrow to nosetip - at nosetip they're long enough to tuck behind my ear now or do a deep side part and barrette) so I just say start growing and stick with it! You'll get there in no time.

Wicked Princess
July 22nd, 2009, 02:47 AM
You could always use a cloth headband, or some of the ficarre headbands, or even some small but pretty hairpins/clips to clip back your hair. With this, you won't have to bother with the care of hair extensions and you get some cool new accessories instead :)

Toadstool
July 22nd, 2009, 03:28 AM
I was refused these because everywhere I went said you would see the join

inertia
July 22nd, 2009, 04:29 AM
You can do it yourself by pinch-braiding. There's no glue used in this technique and it shouldn't damage your hair. However, the braid attachments will probably be visible no matter how carefully you style it. (That's the reason why I know a lot of young people in Japan use this technique to change their bangs, haha) It's not necessarily a bad thing, having the braids be visible -- depending on the person and the style, it can come off as a cool and funky modern look, especially when it's used to add streaks of color. But it's not a professional or natural look. You might be able to reduce the visibility of the attachments by doing a lot of really tiny braids, like making them 1 or 2 mm wide instead of the usual 6 or 7 mm, and leaving the hair on your part natural to cover the rest.

Matching the wavy texture of your hair might be a problem. I would imagine that other countries have a much wider selection of textures than can be found here but you'd still probably have to spend a lot of time on styling. If you do decide to try extensions, be aware that you're likely to have to either curl the extensions or straighten everything.

I have a clip-in short fringe but looking at it, I don't think the technique used to make it would work for a long style.

Tap Dancer
July 22nd, 2009, 04:59 AM
I had wondered about that before I grew my bangs out. I wasn't sure I could do it or that I'd even like how I looked, so I wanted to try extensions in my bangs. I searched online for salons in my area that do extensions and I e-mailed a few places. No one wrote back. :( Then I just went ahead and grew them out on my own, which was probably for the best.

Fencai
July 22nd, 2009, 06:26 AM
yes, you can get clip in bangs, and you will see a mark.
However, this is nothing that a headband wouldnt cover.
I used to wear them all the time when I went through my Cyber goth phase.
You can make your own VERY easily.

If there's enough interest, I could do an article on how to.

nicolezoie
July 22nd, 2009, 06:34 AM
Back when I first started growing my bangs out as a young teenager, I used a clip to cover where my bangs ended and it briefly gave the illusion of what my hair would look like without bangs. Obviously this was something I could not do outside the house, but it gave me the good idea that I would look much better without bangs, so I forged onward with my goal of ridding myself of my huge chunk of 80s bangs. It took a long time, in terms of a few years (my hair was much shorter in those days, and I was also growing out the rest at the same time) to get them long enough to really blend. I dealt with it though, because of what I tried early on.

Curlsgirl
July 24th, 2009, 10:08 AM
yes, you can get clip in bangs, and you will see a mark.
However, this is nothing that a headband wouldnt cover.
I used to wear them all the time when I went through my Cyber goth phase.
You can make your own VERY easily.

If there's enough interest, I could do an article on how to.

There is enough interest for ME! :) Thanks everyone. Headbands look pretty bad on me and also clipped back hair really. I just think it might be different with grown out bangs. Maybe I'll try again. Sigh. I broke down and trimmed them again. :o

Oliviya
January 14th, 2020, 09:02 AM
What's the best Hair Extensions brand in USA? & What are the different types of Hair Extensions?

I've had long hair almost my entire life.. Want to be dramatic and chop it all off cause I'm a lil tired of taking 2 hrs every other day to blow dry & flat iron it now. It naturally has a mild wave to it if I don't style it. Anyways, I decided to go for hair extensions. Please guide me through the best hair extension brand in USA and also what are all the types is in there.*

Thanks in Advance.*

Entangled
January 14th, 2020, 06:48 PM
Oliviya, you might get the answers you’re looking for faster if you make a separate thread for your question. Sorry, I don’t know anything about extensions.