PDA

View Full Version : So my mother wants to grow her hair longer..

Dotlover
July 21st, 2009, 05:29 PM
Ok so not that she is the only one. I have been trying to grow my hair for a while. So I'm also trying to convince my mother who has had very short hair (very short like barely there kind of very short hair) to grow it out more. She says it's too thin and she can't do anything with it.

I'd like to convince her that even thin hair can be fun. It's really not as thin or as unmanageable as she makes it out to be.

ChrissieM
July 21st, 2009, 05:32 PM
I'd love to get my mother to grow her hair out longer....she has it in a pixie style, and it is the most beautiful silver color with about 20% dark brown. Her hair is very thick and seems to be a 1c/2a in texture. I just saw her this weekend and she says she's due for a haircut, but I just saw the potential for her hair to be long and lovely. I should start sending her photos of long pretty silver hair.

maryann
July 21st, 2009, 05:35 PM
Maybe show her our mother/daughter pictures? It's fun to have one more thing in common with your mother or your daughter.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3522&pictureid=44983

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww322/maryanntrezona/wedding089.jpg

rogue_psyche
July 21st, 2009, 05:40 PM
Try to get her to set a goal. Grow until shoulder length, and then access from there. If she really thinks it is that unmanageable, then she can always cut it back.

Dotlover
July 21st, 2009, 05:55 PM
Yes I see that she'll be inspired when she realises how nice and free feeling it will be if she grows it more. She's very happy with her silvery grey hairs, they're like a natural high light to her already lovely dark brown.

I love the picture by the way. Mom and Daughter both look very content! and Ooh that shiney hair!! The twisties look so pretty!! This evening I'll tell her to get on the forums. She might need some inspiration her self and this is a great place to get some ideas.

adiapalic
July 21st, 2009, 06:02 PM
Yay! You should show her some inspiration pics, like those in maryann's post! My mama has grown her pixie cut out, and her hair grows so fast. It's almost to her waist now. I should get some pics of hers :)

Dotlover
July 21st, 2009, 06:03 PM
She has a round face with dark hair and a delicate complexion.

Would a style that is a little longer in the front look great on her or leave it longer in the back. I know that after she had her hair in a quasi-mullet look she began to keep it short and it's been that way since.

nowxisxforever
July 21st, 2009, 09:54 PM
She has a round face with dark hair and a delicate complexion.

Would a style that is a little longer in the front look great on her or leave it longer in the back. I know that after she had her hair in a quasi-mullet look she began to keep it short and it's been that way since.

If she has thin hair I'd try growing without layers and styled cuts first, and see what she thinks of it...

Rivanariko
July 21st, 2009, 11:29 PM
I'd look for some of the thin-haired members on here and show some pictures from their galleries of updos that they've done. I didn't think that I could do much with my hair because it was so thin until I found LHC and learned how to actually use my hair toys. Now a hair stick seems so much easier to use than an elastic! My ponytail barely measures 2.75" and I know I'm not the thinnest person on here!

free_hug
July 22nd, 2009, 01:20 AM
Ohh, i wish my mom wanted to grow out hers... now she finally went from this weird pixie to chin, and is definitely not going any longer because it's so thin & fine :/
Well, it looks waaaay better chin legth, and she could easily grow it to shoulder, but she won't believe me. For some reason she believes her scissor and chemical happy and expensive hairdresser instead, who gave her the soilder-like pixie for years :( and every time she went me & my brother would practically beg her not to let the hairdresser cut this much next time.

As i said, she could easily grow it to shoulder. She has these lovely feminine features, and i know it would look great. The worst is when i see her old pics from the 70s, and she had the exact same thin hair below shoulder, and it was just beautiful (well, of course that was before the perm - worst idea ever for her hair, really. Anyway, what's the point of dying and perming hair that you keep very short???)

Well, ok, private rant over :)

Shrthairsuxlngh (oh, what a screen name), good luck wiuth your mom's hair, try to get her to go to shoulder, that's a nice starting point, and who knows? She might even like it :)

Amara
July 22nd, 2009, 01:25 AM
I wish my mom would grow too!!! We need to make a "help convince moms to grow their hair" club. :)

Quixii
July 22nd, 2009, 01:32 AM
My mom's hair is about as long as mine. I just wish I could convince her to come here!
I feel like it's a special bond we have, even if we rarely mention it. My sister frequently cuts her hair, and there's just that slight lack of hair-bond there. :)

Aditi
July 22nd, 2009, 03:15 AM
Thank for posting this thread shrthairsuxlngh, my mom has thin hair too and she has pixie length, she wanted to grow a little bit long hair like APL but was too discouraged to do that, your thread has given some good ideas to make her encourage again :)

Redheaded Raven
July 22nd, 2009, 03:27 AM
We have several threads for those with finer hair. Check out some of them to show your mom. I like my hair longer, because that way I have so many style choices. Not just one. :D