PDA

View Full Version : split ends

Sossity
April 12th, 2008, 04:59 PM
can one completely eliminate split ends? I got a pair of hair trimming scissors, & started a S & D on the ends but noticed they are everywhere, even up on my newer shorter hairs growing out, do pony tail bands cause this? I usually wear my hair in a low single pony tail, it is quick & easy to do, I need my hair out of my face & way. I use the panty hose ones, they are stretchy, with no seams or metal parts, have recently switched to a comb only, got a wide toothed seamless acetate plastic comb by creative hair products. so far it has worked out well, less snagging & breaking, I have never been able to just use a comb on my hair, my hair was too thick. I found the Denman all nylon rubber base brush good, found the ball tipped brushes snagged my hair. Are the split ends left over from using hair brushes all my life? will my split ends almost dissappear now that i switched to a comb?

Sossity

eadwine
April 12th, 2008, 05:06 PM
They should get significantly less, but completely gone, doubtful.

Hue
April 12th, 2008, 05:11 PM
1. Are they brand new, sharp scissors?

Sometimes scissors that aren't new (especially if they've been used for anything but hair) can damage the end when they cut, leaving it prone to splitting.

---

2. Is your hair damaged by processing treatments (perms, straightening, coloring other than henna/cassava -- especially if multiple times -- or blowdrying/curling irons/etc)?

I've never been free of splits, but as I grew out all of my previously processed hair, I see far, far fewer.

---

3. Is there a seam or any snags on your comb?

Try running a cotton ball all over the surfaces you can reach, and examine the tines & in-between for a raised seam. These can do more damage than you think, but the good news is that often such rough spots can be filed down with sandpaper or a nail file.

---

Ponytail bands can cause breakage, but sometimes you are just seeing shorter new hairs that are part of the overall hair cycle. You are using very gentle ones though, and it looks like you have made some good changes. Have you read through some of the articles about gentle care and avoiding splits? Teacherbear has a really good one, and there are others, too.

Congratulations on making some healthy changes for your hair. :flower:

Lamb
April 12th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Since when have you been doing your new routine? (Denman brush, seamless hairtoys etc.)
How many times a day do you comb/style/touch up your hair?
What kind of shampoo do you use, and how often?
What is your hairtype?

My hair is extremely prone to split ends. But I am a curly, so what I do (or do not do) may not be helpful to you. All I can say with what I know about your hair now is, find a protective updo (one in which the ends are tucked away, like a cinnamon bun - a ponytail is not protective as it leaves all your hair exposed to the elements!).

jojo
April 12th, 2008, 05:17 PM
I used to have lots of splits and still do get the odd few but no where near as many as i used to and the ones i get are mainly on the very ends. I dont think i will ever get rid of them altogether but as long as you avoid heat and keep your hair well conditioned, your splits will stay minimal.

Hue
April 12th, 2008, 05:29 PM
I recall another thing that tripped me up -- I had no idea there were rough spots around my fingernails and elsewhere on my hands that were probably doing damage as I stroked my hair. Egads!

(Everything carries within itself the seeds of its own destruction. My poor hair. :( )

Sossity
April 12th, 2008, 06:17 PM
I just got my new comb about 2 weeks ago, it is cut from Italian acetate, it is seamless, I just bought the scissors, they are for hair. No my hair is not damaged from processing, I don't dye, perm, or any of that kind of stuff, never really have, I have only had periodic trims maybe 5 or more my whole life, & only had bangs cut one time, other than that I have always had long hair, never cut its length. I have been experimenting with no poo for the past 2 months, proir to that, I had been using Pert plus 2 in one shampoo & conditioner.

My hair type is 2c -3a, M/C ii/iii

Never really tried cinnebuns, tried putting my hair up in buns, but it always just slips down. Even doing a single braid down my back is difficult, hit is hard to reach around the back of my head.

Just started using a comb most of the time about 1 or 2 weeks ago, I wash my hair about 1 time per week, comb about 1 to 3 times a day. Have used the seamless rubber bands for a couple of years, before that I did use seamed hair ties. I don't use much else most of the time like hair toys, I found it a hassle to try to do anything fancy with my hair.

Sossity

Melisande
April 12th, 2008, 07:01 PM
I never had much trouble with split ends, and I find that since I quit brushing, mist, oil and bun my hair etc, I have none at all.

Gentle handling is really SO important.

Shea butter is great to keep my ends moisturized. At the moment, I prefer it to oil. My ends seem to suck it in and no split ends for a long long time! (Let's hope I didn't jinx it now!)

Sossity
April 12th, 2008, 07:05 PM
how do I use shea butter in my ends? i have a tub of it, it came in yellowish chunks, how do I get it to a consistency for my hair?

Sossity

spidermom
April 12th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Some hair is prone to splits. I've decided the way to avoid split ends for me is to never pick up my length and take a close look at it. Evaluating my hair from arm's length away in the mirror; that's the ticket. I never see splits anymore.

Melisande
April 12th, 2008, 07:31 PM
I take a bit of shea butter, rub it in my hands and then put it in my hair. LOVE the feeling. You really need a tiny bit, just feel your palm is lightly covered.

I use shea butter by now for my hands, feet, face (whipped with rosa mosqueta oil), can't get enough of that stuff.