PDA

View Full Version : Up-dos for thin/fine, slippery hair

Konstifik
July 21st, 2009, 01:27 PM
Hello! :waving:

So, I'm one of those persons with typical scandinavian fine hair. Really thin. And really... Sleek. Hairpins, bobbypins, hairneedles (or whatever they're called), etc. just slip away. I can't wear a bun with only hairpins and bobbypins, since they'll fall off 2 minutes later. The only up-do's which stays on all day are ponytails and buns secured with bobbypins, other pins and this: http://www.harlequintrade.com/Prodpics/87487.jpg

And I'm getting really tired of those two up-do's.
Braids doesn't look good either, since my hair is so thin. They look quite pathetic actually, lacking better words to describe. :P

My hair is currently just below my shoulders, like armpit length. And I'm looking for not-too-advanced up-do's for daily, hair-protective use. Yes, I got high demands, haven't I? :D

Any tip or idea is welcome and appreciated! :cheese:

Toothe
July 21st, 2009, 02:09 PM
Can you do a Gibson tuck? It sounds like you're at the right length for that, and it's easy. Your hair may slide out of it, but it's worth a try:

1. Make a ponytail with an elastic.

2. Part the hair above the elastic (but leave the area underneath untouched) and pull it apart a little to make a pocket, and then stuff the ponytail in.

3. Keep stuffing until it's all in there.

florenonite
July 21st, 2009, 02:21 PM
Although my hair's thick, otherwise it sounds similar to yours. I don't actually have that many updos to suggest (until about a month and a half ago my go-to style was a cinnabun), so I'll just try and come up with ways to help you secure buns that you might find in the articles section. There is one bun I quite like, though, the lazy wrap bun (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=72).

To help with hold, claw clips are good, though I actually don't use them that often. You can even get them in pretty colours or with decorations.

I could use sticks from APL or so for buns. The trick with sticks is to insert them facing the outside of the bun, then flip them over and weave them through scalp hair, as described in this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=106) article.

The clip to which you linked might be good for a peacock twist, by which you hold the hair in a ponytail, twist it up, slide the clip in and let the ends cascade out.

I've found that to an extent I can control how slippery my hair is. Using 'cones tends to make it really slippery, as does for some reason shampooing then conditioning the length (eg when I'm clarifying it). Hair a couple days after washing tends to hold much better, too, or when it's damp. Perhaps you could go 'cone-free, do a damp updo on the first day, and then mist the hair to dampen if necessary or just rely on the sebum to do your updos on subsequent days.

Mirmy
July 21st, 2009, 02:33 PM
My hair is much longer and thicker than yours, but what about trying a rope bun? It is started off with an elastic and finished with an elastic so it is very secure. I find it is my most secure up-do (I can even run with it:) see my blog!)

ElenTikvah
July 21st, 2009, 03:04 PM
My hair is fine, on the thin-side of average and almost IMPOSSIBLE to keep in an updo when dry. If I damp bun my hair, most buns will hold most all day with a hairstick, flexi-8 or ficcare. When it's dry, I can do a tight orchid bun and a modified logroll...and hold it with a ficcare...nothing else seems to hold when it's dry. I may get the updo, up...but it ain't staying there... :P

~Tik

Konstifik
July 22nd, 2009, 12:03 AM
Can you do a Gibson tuck? It sounds like you're at the right length for that, and it's easy. Your hair may slide out of it, but it's worth a try:

1. Make a ponytail with an elastic.

2. Part the hair above the elastic (but leave the area underneath untouched) and pull it apart a little to make a pocket, and then stuff the ponytail in.

3. Keep stuffing until it's all in there.

Oh yes, I even got a tool for that up-do. It works great, except... The ends tickles my neck. Hehe. :roll:
Thanks for reminding me about that one though. I'll start using it when my hair grows a bit longer. :)

Konstifik
July 22nd, 2009, 12:14 AM
Although my hair's thick, otherwise it sounds similar to yours. I don't actually have that many updos to suggest (until about a month and a half ago my go-to style was a cinnabun), so I'll just try and come up with ways to help you secure buns that you might find in the articles section. There is one bun I quite like, though, the lazy wrap bun (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=72).

To help with hold, claw clips are good, though I actually don't use them that often. You can even get them in pretty colours or with decorations.

I could use sticks from APL or so for buns. The trick with sticks is to insert them facing the outside of the bun, then flip them over and weave them through scalp hair, as described in this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=106) article.

The clip to which you linked might be good for a peacock twist, by which you hold the hair in a ponytail, twist it up, slide the clip in and let the ends cascade out.

I've found that to an extent I can control how slippery my hair is. Using 'cones tends to make it really slippery, as does for some reason shampooing then conditioning the length (eg when I'm clarifying it). Hair a couple days after washing tends to hold much better, too, or when it's damp. Perhaps you could go 'cone-free, do a damp updo on the first day, and then mist the hair to dampen if necessary or just rely on the sebum to do your updos on subsequent days.

Thanks for the tips! The lazy wrap bun look cool, I'll try it someday, when I have a hairstick. :D
Peacocktwist looks great, but unfortunatley my hair is too slippery for only one clip to hold. It needs support by at least one more, or other hairpins, and then I get more metal in my hair, than hair. Looks kind of weird.

My hair already is cone-free, but I can try doing an up-do while it's still a bit wet. Then my hair will be straighter too, I think that'll help while doing an up-do too. :)

Konstifik
July 22nd, 2009, 12:18 AM
My hair is much longer and thicker than yours, but what about trying a rope bun? It is started off with an elastic and finished with an elastic so it is very secure. I find it is my most secure up-do (I can even run with it:) see my blog!)

It seems like you need a lot more hair than I got for doing a good rope bun. As I said, even a simple braid in my hair looks weird. :o

Konstifik
July 22nd, 2009, 12:26 AM
My hair is fine, on the thin-side of average and almost IMPOSSIBLE to keep in an updo when dry. If I damp bun my hair, most buns will hold most all day with a hairstick, flexi-8 or ficcare. When it's dry, I can do a tight orchid bun and a modified logroll...and hold it with a ficcare...nothing else seems to hold when it's dry. I may get the updo, up...but it ain't staying there... :P

~Tik

So I'll try doing the up-do when it's still a little wet then. :) The orchid bun looks great! I wish my hair was long enough for it. ^^

heatherdazy
July 22nd, 2009, 08:13 AM
To have better luck with bobby pins:

Do not 'open' them in your mouth. They are already open... they are just not meant to hold much hair.
Slide them in with the wavy end against your scalp, then lock it in place by sliding in another one in it in the perpendicular direction.
Also, you may not be using enough pins. It doesn't take many to hold the style in place for a few seconds. Then you can look and the back of your hair with a mirror and slide the rest in. you should be using the pins to lock themselves in place.

Konstifik
July 22nd, 2009, 09:29 AM
To have better luck with bobby pins:

Do not 'open' them in your mouth. They are already open... they are just not meant to hold much hair.
Slide them in with the wavy end against your scalp, then lock it in place by sliding in another one in it in the perpendicular direction.
Also, you may not be using enough pins. It doesn't take many to hold the style in place for a few seconds. Then you can look and the back of your hair with a mirror and slide the rest in. you should be using the pins to lock themselves in place.

The bobby pins are usually those which actually stays in the hair quite long, but I can't use only bobby pins for the simple bun to stay in place, so I use hairpins too. My buns doesn't get big at all, because of the thin hair, but yet I can't get them to hold longer than a few minutes, even if I'm using bobby pins and at least 7 hairpins, which almost covers the entire bun. :)
The hairpins are the first to go, almost all at the same time. So I would like a better technique for inserting them, if possible.

But thanks anyways!

florenonite
July 22nd, 2009, 10:42 AM
The bobby pins are usually those which actually stays in the hair quite long, but I can't use only bobby pins for the simple bun to stay in place, so I use hairpins too. My buns doesn't get big at all, because of the thin hair, but yet I can't get them to hold longer than a few minutes, even if I'm using bobby pins and at least 7 hairpins, which almost covers the entire bun. :)
The hairpins are the first to go, almost all at the same time. So I would like a better technique for inserting them, if possible.

But thanks anyways!

The article I linked on sticks touches on how to insert pins, I think. I'll go double-check; I haven't read it in ages.

ETA: It discusses Amish pins, which I believe would be similar to whatever hairpins you're using. General U-shaped pins, right?

rags
July 22nd, 2009, 10:53 AM
I could have written your post! My hair is baby fine and very thin and extremely slippery.

I like the Gibson tuck. I also like Angelindisguise's cheater's hairstick bun (it uses an elastic, and you can use a pencil for the stick if you don't have one yet).

The pencil bun is a good one, and it hold well because of all the twisting involved.

I can't do English braids either; they look ridiculous. I do however, adore twin French braids or one French braid and then you take that pesky thin little end and tuck it up underneath and fasten it with a barrette. It looks really good that way, and you don't have the thin braid hanging down.

And of course, there's always the sock bun, if you have enough hair to cover the sock! (I don't, siiigh)

Konstifik
July 22nd, 2009, 11:45 AM
The article I linked on sticks touches on how to insert pins, I think. I'll go double-check; I haven't read it in ages.

ETA: It discusses Amish pins, which I believe would be similar to whatever hairpins you're using. General U-shaped pins, right?

Gah, I totally missed your whole sentence with that link! Seems like my eyes just skipped directly to the next one after that. Sorry! :o
I blame this mornings migraine :roll:

Thanks!

heidihug
July 22nd, 2009, 11:55 AM
Just to give you some encouragement in addition to the fine advice already given - your hair will get easier to put into updos as it gets longer. I remember how difficult it was to get any sort of bun to stay in my hair at that length. Now I can do just about any updo after a little practice.

Good luck with the suggestions so far, and happy styling!

Konstifik
July 22nd, 2009, 12:02 PM
I could have written your post! My hair is baby fine and very thin and extremely slippery.

I like the Gibson tuck. I also like Angelindisguise's cheater's hairstick bun (it uses an elastic, and you can use a pencil for the stick if you don't have one yet).

The pencil bun is a good one, and it hold well because of all the twisting involved.

I can't do English braids either; they look ridiculous. I do however, adore twin French braids or one French braid and then you take that pesky thin little end and tuck it up underneath and fasten it with a barrette. It looks really good that way, and you don't have the thin braid hanging down.

And of course, there's always the sock bun, if you have enough hair to cover the sock! (I don't, siiigh)

I actually tried the sock bun today... It would look great! If it weren't for the fact that, yes, I haven't got enough hair either. >.<
Maybe it's possible to create a tiny sock bun using babysocks or something. :D
Seems like our hair is very similar! I'm no good braider (for obvious reasons :P), and I've never managed to do a French braid. They are so hard to do!

The gibson tuck and the cheater's hairstick bun seems like something I could manage! Definatley something I'll try tomorrow! :)

Konstifik
July 22nd, 2009, 12:05 PM
Just to give you some encouragement in addition to the fine advice already given - your hair will get easier to put into updos as it gets longer. I remember how difficult it was to get any sort of bun to stay in my hair at that length. Now I can do just about any updo after a little practice.

Good luck with the suggestions so far, and happy styling!

Thank you!
I can't wait until my hair reaches the waist, I think it will be very exciting! So many cool updos! :cheese:

florenonite
July 22nd, 2009, 12:30 PM
Gah, I totally missed your whole sentence with that link! Seems like my eyes just skipped directly to the next one after that. Sorry! :o
I blame this mornings migraine :roll:

Thanks!

Aww, don't worry about it :) I hope the migraine's gotten better :flower:

serious
July 22nd, 2009, 12:46 PM
You could try this Sock bun variation:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=29777

I've never made a decent sock bun until today, this one really works for my thin, slippery, heavily layered hair.

Konstifik
July 22nd, 2009, 01:27 PM
You could try this Sock bun variation:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=29777

I've never made a decent sock bun until today, this one really works for my thin, slippery, heavily layered hair.

That bun looks great, but unfortunatley my hair is too short for wrapping around the sock more than once. :(
I'm glad it worked for you! Maybe it will work for me when it grows some more decimeters/inches. ^^

Mirmy
July 22nd, 2009, 02:30 PM
I wouldn't worry about the rope bun looking weird because you are going to twist it into a bun! You should give it a go:) The key is keeping to rope flat on your head as you put it into a bun.

Neoma
July 22nd, 2009, 08:54 PM
You mentioned that you don't have a hairstick, thus you can't do the Lazy Wrap Bun. You could secure it with that Fakkare-type clip that you linked to. Just make the bun and insert the bottom part of the beak clip just like a hairstick, then close the clip.

Just a thought... :flower:

Konstifik
July 22nd, 2009, 11:45 PM
You mentioned that you don't have a hairstick, thus you can't do the Lazy Wrap Bun. You could secure it with that Fakkare-type clip that you linked to. Just make the bun and insert the bottom part of the beak clip just like a hairstick, then close the clip.

Just a thought... :flower:

I'm using pencils as hairsticks. :D
But the lazy wrap bun didn't work... I've got just about one inch too short hair. :(
Maybe it will work if my hair is wet though. Something I'm going to try.

Zéphine
July 23rd, 2009, 12:16 AM
My hair is pretty similar. Keeping it up can be...unpredictable, depending on its length and how clean/dirty it is (and what I washed it with). When it was about your length, mini claw clips were the most reliable tool for securing buns.
French twists look good with non-big hair, if you can get them to stay. (I like a combination of pins and clips.)
Maybe a ponytail with some kind of non-slippery holder could work for a while, till you have enough length to make things hold better.