PDA

View Full Version : How to protect hair from hot springs?

Kunzang
April 12th, 2008, 04:42 PM
My SO and I are planning a little vacation to our favorite mineral hot springs, and I need some advice on ways to protect hair - besides wearing a cap. The last time we went my hair ended up like straw. It took a bit of clarifying before it returned to normal. Any suggestions?

Hue
April 12th, 2008, 05:01 PM
You could try a very thick deep conditioning treatment under the cap -- something that coats the hair strands. I've read that people have used just plain conditioner under caps, too.

Last time I tried, I had trouble stretching the rubbery swim cap over slicked-down long hair just pulled up and around, and I made a mental note to try some kind of a crown braid next time, as I bet that would hold it better.

birdiefu
April 12th, 2008, 05:14 PM
What I did when I went to a thermal spring (and later ocean swimming) was soak my hair first in distilled water, then towel-dry a bit, and cover in oil. Braided this up and pinned to the top of my head with a ficcare or put on a cap (depending if I was planning on wading or going under). Conditioner IMO is more likely to get rinsed out, and I don't feel right about the chemicals getting in the water- oil is more 'natural'. Also, don't use a latex cap with oil.

Incidentally, it also depends on what kind of minerals are in the hot spring. When I was in Baden-Baden (Germany), my hair really needed protection from the minerals. However, when I was in Leukerbad (Switzerland), my hair just *loved* the water and I ended up intentionally dunking my un-oiled hair in it.

If you do happen to get issues with your hair from the minerals (I did once before soaking/oiling it), a citric acid rinse worked pretty well for me. But you may need a chelating shampoo if that doesn't work. Then lots of moisture.

Ursula
April 12th, 2008, 05:21 PM
First, you'll want to check with the people who run the hot spring, to see if they have policies about using oil or conditioner on your hair before bathing. With many people bathing in the springs, they may be concerned about the oil or conditioner getting into the water which is used by everyone. (Do you want to be bathing in a spring filled with oil and conditioner from other people's hair?)

If the water is cool enough to bathe in, it is cool enough so you don't have to worry about heat damage on your hair.

I'd probably just braid my hair firmly, to keep shed hairs from getting loose in the water (again, with many people bathing in the spring, that would be nasty), and bring a clarifying or chelating treatment to use after bathing.

Hue
April 12th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Conditioner IMO is more likely to get rinsed out, and I don't feel right about the chemicals getting in the water- oil is more 'natural'.

Good point.

Also, don't use a latex cap with oil.

Another good point!

(Love your points. I will use oil next time. [Or, rather, not. see below.] Which do you prefer for this?)

-------------------------

Edited to add:

First, you'll want to check with the people who run the hot spring, to see if they have policies about using oil or conditioner on your hair before bathing.

Excellent point.

(Do you want to be bathing in a spring filled with oil and conditioner from other people's hair?)

Ew. Now that you mention it, I'm going to hazard a "no."

I'd probably just braid my hair firmly, to keep shed hairs from getting loose in the water (again, with many people bathing in the spring, that would be nasty), and bring a clarifying or chelating treatment to use after bathing.

Consider my future fellow bathers (should they exist) to be grateful.

Kunzang
April 12th, 2008, 06:21 PM
These are great suggestions - thanks!