PDA

View Full Version : Greasy scalp and shedding question

free_hug
July 21st, 2009, 06:10 AM
Hey, LHCers!

Somewhere, a long, long time ago i heard that leaving your scalp greasy for a longer time would result in more hairs shed, therefore, less hair altogether in the long run. Also, washing your head once it starts getting oily would lead to a better growth, since the follicles need to be able to "breathe" in order to function properly.

What are your thoughts on the issue? I'd normally find it way more comfy to just stretch out washes a bit more, and it sounds reasonable too (let them grow a bit more without a wash), plus lazyness, working from home and bandanas are also a great motivation not to want to wash that often. But - who knows? Maybe i'm not doing the right thing at all?

Thanks for all input!

Kirin
July 21st, 2009, 08:20 AM
It all depends on the individual on if a greasy scalp will cause a problem or not. It is actually true, that the hair follicles can become clogged with oils, it does happen. This is only a problem if you are prone to scalp acne, though it is unclear if it is the hair follicles becoming clogged, or, the constant touching or itching of scalp acne makes more hair shed.

If you are not having problems with infrequent washings, and not noticing shed or blocked pores of the scalp, you are likely perfectly fine, and there isn't anything to worry about.

As with just about everything, its all very individual.