PDA

View Full Version : Can a BBB cause damage?

whiteisle
July 20th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Just wondering if a boar bristle brush can cause breakage or damage. It seems to do better on my hair than a comb. Rather than stressing a tangle it seems to glide superficially over it loosening it up a bit and then it comes out with the next pass.......make any sense? Or is this my imagination? I don't want to cause damage by not combing first but I seem to get more breakage using a comb so I just brush. Is this bad?

redneckprincess
July 20th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Im not sure, I know BBB are good for the hair by distributing the oils, but im sure if used in excess or wrong (ei: on wet hair) can cause damage. I found a goody jojoba infused hair brush to be the absoulte for detangling and excessive brushing.

storytellerzero
July 20th, 2009, 04:25 PM
My BBB really collects lint and debris from my hair and then little bits come loose in the strands and create the most bodacious knots. I use a comb to clean out my BBB as buying a new one every month would be costly and wasteful, but I can never get it really clean and it builds up quickly. I don't even know where all the lint comes from. I recently started using my honey's paddle brush detangler and it seems to work better for that purpose, so maybe I will keep both. One for the brush through and one for oiling:)

BlndeInDisguise
July 20th, 2009, 04:29 PM
I'm pretty confident that my BBB has caused some damage in my hair, but my hair is very fragile and even my horn comb causes damage.

GoddesJourney
July 20th, 2009, 09:45 PM
It's definately possible but you have to judge your own hair type. I found that it made me shed and that it damaged my damaged hair more. My undamaged hair didn't seem to have much trouble with it. Maybe it's just that my damaged hair can't handle any more friction.

Wicked Princess
July 20th, 2009, 11:57 PM
I uh...*cough*...permed my hair a few years ago because...that's what I thought I wanted...

Now I have some damage to my hair, though not much, and a BBB doesn't seem to help or hurt more than any other brush. Lately, I've only been combing my hair through with a wide-toothed comb, and that has helped my hair stay manageable. I'll do my oil-on-hair distribution manually, I guess, hehe!

But I can only speak for my own hair which is thick, coarse, and has some damage.

Teazel
July 21st, 2009, 12:12 AM
It depends on your hair - only you can say if your BBB is causing damage or not.

Personally, I love using my soft BBB. I find it much kinder to my hair if I use it before combing, as it removes lint and shed hairs while gently straightening out slight snarls and lightly skimming over any knots. After a bit of a brush I then detangle the problem spots with fingers and a horn comb, and might brush again to move sebum down.

Cherry_Sprinkle
July 21st, 2009, 01:37 AM
my BBB caused a lot of breakage in my hair so I down-sized to using an infant brush which is going much better for me :) but everyone's hair is different so I guess just look for signs of damage and be gentle :)

Naluin
July 21st, 2009, 01:57 PM
BBB, while I love the smoothing effect they can give my hair, seem to destroy my hair. My hair breaks easily. :(

ChloeDharma
July 21st, 2009, 02:21 PM
I think really you only can tell if it's damaging by when you use it, if you hear snapping then you know it's breaking hairs, if not then it should be perfectly ok to use it. I need to get back into properly brushing my hair again, thanks for the reminder :)

Bellalalala
July 21st, 2009, 04:27 PM
I just started WO and my BBB has virtually no hair in it after even hundreds and hundreds of strokes, so I don't think it's doing any damage.

Tangles
July 21st, 2009, 04:31 PM
My hair breaks somewhat easily, but I honestly think brushing once or twice a week keeps my hair less tangled and a little bit straighter. I use the brush very gently, though, massaging my scalp first and then distributing the sebum downwards.

wintersun99
July 21st, 2009, 04:50 PM

Bellalalala
July 21st, 2009, 04:53 PM
I was told to brush through my hair section by section with my BBB, otherwise yes, it just skims over the top.

wintersun99
July 21st, 2009, 04:54 PM

lyria
July 21st, 2009, 05:19 PM
I tried a BBB and did not like it. My hair is fairly resilient and puts up with just about anything, but it did not like the BBB. I think it may depend on hair type.

Toothe
July 21st, 2009, 07:14 PM
I just love BBBing so much...it's so soothing and relaxing and makes me feel refreshed and...cooler, maybe? I love to brush it all back from my face at night and get everything, including the wispies, going all one way.

It doesn't seem to be damaging to me, but my hair doesn't break especially easily. My brush does get full of hair, but I shed all over the place anyway, so I think it's just catching the loose ones.

Bellalalala
July 21st, 2009, 07:17 PM
Are you WO?

Just curious because I shed massive amounts of hair until last week when I started WO. Like magic, next to no shedding.

I'm really new to this though, so I don't know if that's typical.

adiapalic
July 21st, 2009, 07:55 PM
It depends on your hair - only you can say if your BBB is causing damage or not.

Personally, I love using my soft BBB. I find it much kinder to my hair if I use it before combing, as it removes lint and shed hairs while gently straightening out slight snarls and lightly skimming over any knots. After a bit of a brush I then detangle the problem spots with fingers and a horn comb, and might brush again to move sebum down.

This is the exact situation with my own routine. I think the reason the BBB's get full of lint is because it does remove the lint from hair. Today I was detangling my hair with my fingers in the car, and every knot I came across was because of a tiny piece of lint!

Also, I love using the BBB to help move the oils from my scalp down--especially if it's looking a little greasy, and I don't have time to wash before going out.

Meli
July 22nd, 2009, 11:32 AM
My hair is fine and very sensitive to friction, and for me, using a BBB causes too much friction. I get lots of splits if I use one, even if I'm very gentle and brush way less than 100 strokes in each session. It's no surprise that the damaged hairs split easy, but after a couple of weeks of regular brushing I started to find splits in the healthy parts of my hair as well, where I normally don't have any splits.

Bellalalala
July 22nd, 2009, 12:42 PM
I am addicted to my BBB, but my hair has really great elasticity, so after what you guys have been saying, I'm just hoping it's not doing any damage.

xovictoryxo
July 22nd, 2009, 06:06 PM
My hair loves boar bristle brush as it smoothes it down and lightly gets rid of tangles,