PDA

View Full Version : Addicted to wearing my hair down...

cowgirltresses
July 20th, 2009, 08:07 AM
So the last couple of weeks have been a bit strange for me... I think that I've hit a minimilestone at reaching waist length (sorry I don't have a digital camera to post pics :rolleyes:). But now that my hair is that long, possibly longer than I have ever had it before, I wear it down constantly! Ok not all the time but when I'm just around the house or on my couple days off from work I'll start with it in a braid or bun and it will end up coming down at some point in the day! I love the way my hair feels and looks when it's down...but I also know the damage I'm probably causing it! Is this just some sort of sick phase I'm going through?? It's like I've surprised myself when I took my hair out one day...Oh look! My hair is longer! When did this happen? Well...any imput would be great! Maybe some tips on how you got past the novelty of long hair? Thanks!
Cowgirl

Curlsgirl
July 20th, 2009, 08:20 AM
I am sort of the same way. If it's not too hot, my hair is down. For me it is the scalp-aches but also that I just like the way it looks down more than up. I say enjoy your hair. That's what it's for. I just make sure I protect it out in the weather or if I am somewhere where there is a lot of people or high risk of getting it caught in things. Other than that, it doesn't really tangle that much more when down and my job is an office job where I don't really move around a lot or anything.

So my vote is ENJOY YOUR HAIR AND EVERYTHING ABOUT IT!!! :D

shadowclaw
July 20th, 2009, 08:22 AM
I never got over the novelty! My two man hairstyles are down and it a ponytail. It's very rare that I put it into a bun or a braid, although I've been sleeping with it in a braid more often.

I love when my hair is down, and I think it looks best that way. I don't think my hair gets all that damaged from it, either. I'll probably be singing a different tune when it gets past waist and starts to catch on everything, but for now, my hair like to be down.

I think you just need to ask yourself a few questions about your hair when it's down. Do the ends tangle easily when down? If so, you might damage your hair detangling it. Does your hair catch on anything in your house, car, or at work? If it catches on anything, you can do some damage, but if not, you're probably ok. Also, do you sit on chairs and couches a lot? Your hair will rub against the backs of these when you're sitting, which can damage it. Finally, you want to ask yourself what are you going to be doing while wearing your hair down. Will you just be doing some grocery shopping, or are you going for a ride on a windy day? Obviously, some activities will be damaging to your hair while others won't.

swanns
July 20th, 2009, 08:27 AM
I know what you mean, I've had the same problem since I hit tailbone, I really just want to wear it down although I know it's causing it a lot of damage (my hair tangles very easily). One of my solutions has been to oil the ends so heavily you just don't want to wear it down and simply have to keep it in a bun :D

ZadenWillowfyre
July 20th, 2009, 08:39 AM
I love having my hair down! My hair is pretty tough so I dont typically have trouble with tangels or damage. I braid most of the time when I sleep though.

ButterCup02
July 20th, 2009, 08:43 AM
I love wearing my hair down too, and still do quite often :) It's not that long yet, so I don't think I'm damaging it too much. I make sure to wear it up when I'm doing something that will probably damage it, like riding horses, quadding, etc...and I usually wear it up everyday to work, but on weekends I like to wear it down when we go out with friends or to visit family.

demitasse
July 20th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Maybe you can try the Wear your hair up challenge. I joined for a month to force myself to wear it up for awhile. I'm discovering a versatility I didn't realize it had.

Krifantasy
July 20th, 2009, 09:04 AM
I am a half and half. When I am at home, my hair is usually up in a twist or bun, but when I am out or at work, I wear my hair down. This also depends on how long it has been since I washed it, as wash day is always a hair down day. My hair is fairly curly and doesn't tangle easily and the only time I have to be careful of damage is in the car as I usually travel with my windows down.

GoddesJourney
July 20th, 2009, 09:26 AM
What a second... this is ridiculous! Of course you like wearing your hair down. You've been growing it out for who knows how long now and babying it and dreaming of longer hair. Now you have it and you should enjoy it sometimes. Sick phase nothing. Don't feel like you have to hide your hair away all the time. You grew it out so you could let it down and admire it sometimes. Do it. That's the best part of that moment right before you get in the shower.

spidermom
July 20th, 2009, 09:32 AM
I love to wear my hair down when I have the time to watch out for it. If I get busy, I put it up so as not to get it caught on anything or have it be in my way. I almost always wear it up in the kitchen; my family doesn't like hair in their food (odd, I know).

redneckprincess
July 20th, 2009, 09:41 AM
I know just how you feel, though my hair is still shoulder leingth, I put it up and just wind up taking it down, I love wearing my hair down and Im sure that will only be more so as it continues to grow longer and longer, I love the up styles but I love to show off my soft shiny hair and feel it blowing in the wind ♥

Bianca
July 20th, 2009, 09:56 AM
I always wear my hair down. I'm not going to have long hair and then hide it. Updos are not for me. I love long flowing hair. If you are carefull, I dont think it's a problem having it down sometimes, unless it tangles like crazy :)

Ps: I still only have BSL hair and some damage from bleaching and dying. Maybe i'll feel differently when it's all natural and longer :D

Kirin
July 20th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Okay, I have to admit, I have never understood the "grow your hair long, but always keep it up" philosophy. My head just thinks, then whats the point of all of this?

To me, its a lot like buying a beautiful set of china you never use.

It may not be the most protective thing for my hair, but in my estimation, its just hair. I know that's a bit sacrilege around here, but I feel striving for hair perfection is a pipe dream, and a frustrating and futile endeavor.

I have been so much more relaxed and happy with my hair, since I've taken this tact of thinking.

RavennaNight
July 20th, 2009, 10:57 AM
I also love the feeling of hair down! I tried to be a putter-upper, but I was just unhappy with my appearance. I felt very teachery and severe, like I'll strike your hand with a switch.

myotislucifugus
July 20th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Now that may hair is just about at waist, I find I wear it down more. It just doesn't get in my way as much, and I love the feeling. Of course its also healthier than it has ever been, which helps. My hair is usually up for most of the day, but it is such a pleasure to have down. Four more inches and I'll be at hip, and I'm sure I'll adore having it graze that body part.

mira-chan
July 20th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Okay, I have to admit, I have never understood the "grow your hair long, but always keep it up" philosophy. My head just thinks, then whats the point of all of this?

*snip*
Hmm... I wear my hair up all the time. I have worn it in at least a ponytail though usually braids my whole life, since it was long enough. It was school rules and just general practicality for me as a child, as climbing through bushes and hair down do not go together well. Switching to a bun was not that far a reach from this.

It feels weird and unpleasant to wear it fully down, I don't enjoy it other than the rare hour a couple of times a year. So that's part of the reason why some people wear it up all the time.

Mine would be up even if it were shoulder length and possibly up under a hat or scarf if it were too short to tie. So I guess I'm addicted to wearing it up. ;) At this length it's no longer very practical for me to wear it down anyway (and my job forbids it, any hair has to be out of eyes and out of reach of flame and chemicals.)

I grow long hair because it grows and I don't cut it, plus you can do more interesting bun styles with it longer.

If you want to wear it down and don't mind dealing with the problems from it (tangling, some damage to be trimmed off possibly, getting in the way, etc.) then why would it be bad?

Bianca
July 20th, 2009, 11:53 AM

It may not be the most protective thing for my hair, but in my estimation, its just hair. I know that's a bit sacrilege around here, but I feel striving for hair perfection is a pipe dream, and a frustrating and futile endeavor.

I have been so much more relaxed and happy with my hair, since I've taken this tact of thinking.

Your not the only one. I dont understand it either... :p

RancheroTheBee
July 20th, 2009, 01:08 PM
I usually wear it up because I tend to twiddle with my hair a lot, but I know that as it gets longer, I won't be able to wrap my fingers around my hair as I can now. And then it will be down all the time!*

*: Except at work, where even my hair is considered "long". :p

demitasse
July 20th, 2009, 01:25 PM
No one's saying you have to wear long hair up all the time but the original poster specifically asked for ways to motivate herself to wear it up more often. Hence the suggestions. :)

Rentlle
July 20th, 2009, 01:33 PM
I need those suggestions too :s :p
I would say updo-challenge :)

rogue_psyche
July 20th, 2009, 01:33 PM
I'm not much of an updo person, myself. I'm trying to teach myself, for those times when I'm in a car with someone who refuses to roll up the window or when I wear a hoodie (which gives me the worst nape tangles/damage). I would like to be able to throw it up into a nice updo at the drop of a hat and then take it down when the crisis is averted. Also, there's a good chance I'll actually have to start bunning at work when the braid is too long for food service.

If you want your hair up more, then maybe you can challenge yourself to do a different updo every day for a week, and reward yourself with having it down at the end of the week.

Desideira
July 20th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Today when I was in the bus on my way home I was thinking about starting exactly the same thread:)) And now I found this one:)
I am seriously addcited to wearing my hair down. I never can stand one full day in updo. I always feel that its havy. I am just not used to that feeling. I know I demage my hair by waring it down all the time ...but I cant help it..I am addicted:))) I love looking at updos becuse they can be so veristiale and sofisticated, or fun...but I never feel comfortable. Maybe I am hopless case:))

akilina
July 20th, 2009, 03:57 PM
My hair is not even at apl...so not too long. But no matter, short or long I also love to have my hair down. I know that once my hair eventually gets very long I'll want it down all the time. I get too anxious if I put it up. I've been wanting to do a challenge for a month though of having my hair up....just haven't gotten there yet.

storytellerzero
July 20th, 2009, 04:35 PM
When my hair was waist length, it was ideal to wear down all the time. My face is less attractive with my hair pulled back so I generally only wore it down. Now that it is knee length, it is a little ponderous, and does get tangled more than I would like when wearing it down. Also, I think it would look better with more volume; what was a decent volume for 2 to 3 feet is a little sparse at almost 6.

camirra555
July 20th, 2009, 09:01 PM
I'm the same way and my hair hasn't even gotten long yet. I love having it down but about a week ago I made a rule that I would have it in a bun at least 3 days a week. So far I've been sticking to it. Maybe try investing in some hair toys that make you want to wear your hair up. I recently got a hair fork and I love it!

Wicked Princess
July 21st, 2009, 12:13 AM
I know how you feel! The first time my hair reached...well...mid butt...it was really funny because I would take it down and walk around my apartment and be startled by the feel of something soft and hairy brushing against me. It was very startling to realize it was me! Now I love the feel of it against my back.

Unfortunately, it tends to get caught on things around my desk, and sometimes in my chair, and I really, really can't wear my hair down at work, because it would actually be hazardous.

Many of the women here like to wear their hair up because they like updos, and they like protecting their hair (which can be done in various gentle buns).

Whatever your reason is for long hair...whether you want to grow it long just for elaborate updos that women with short hair can't do, or whether you like the feel of it down and blowing in the win, just remember that you are growing it for a reason you like!!! To put it up when you don't want to would just be silly! Unless it's for a practical reason, like rolling over it with your computer chair....

Chanterelle
July 21st, 2009, 12:23 AM
Okay, I have to admit, I have never understood the "grow your hair long, but always keep it up" philosophy.
You're not alone.
For me the point of growing long hair is to wear it down. I love the way it looks and feels.

Roseate
July 21st, 2009, 12:23 AM
I go through up/down phases. Some lengths are just nicer down, some nicer up!

I wouldn't worry about it, unless you're seeing more damage- in that case, join a challenge or make a rule for yourself- but if your hair can handle it, just enjoy for a while! :)

cowgirltresses
July 21st, 2009, 02:25 AM
My hair does tend to tangle but that isn't really my problem. My ends are very damaged from dying. About 3 months or so ago, I started to wear my hair up all of the time and it was incredible the amount of growth that I saw! Actually.. a small amount of growth seems like far more to me than the average person! No really! I'm really super tiny. In sort of a grotesque way really! Haha I'm only like 4'10" -4'11" ( my BF and I seem to get different measurements!) and like less than 100lb. I've conditioned the heck out of my hair for the past year or so, so the hair I feel does not feel dry or anything, but it is still very weak and splits and breaks pretty easily. The feeling is really tempting but I think it is not beneficial to my hair. I definitely think that a wear your hair up challenge would do me some good. I think I may check into that!

Autumnberry
July 21st, 2009, 06:03 AM
You're not alone.
For me the point of growing long hair is to wear it down. I love the way it looks and feels.

I totally agree. When I need to get it out of the way for safety or convenience, it goes up into a bun. Otherwise, it's flowing. To me, it's not a museum piece that needs to be hidden and preserved, it's just hair!

Juanita
July 21st, 2009, 06:33 AM
Wear it how you feel happiest. Me I might have quite a few different styles in one day. depending on mood and what I'm doing.

MsBubbles
July 21st, 2009, 06:51 AM
I love the way my hair feels and looks when it's down...but I also know the damage I'm probably causing it! Is this just some sort of sick phase I'm going through?? Well...any imput would be great! Maybe some tips on how you got past the novelty of long hair? Thanks!
Cowgirl

Cowgirltresses, congrats on reaching waist length! I don't think it's sick at all to want to enjoy your hair down. I say wear it down til the waistlength honeymoon is over and then you'll want to put it up, perhaps. And if that never happens and you're still enjoying your hair down, ok! At some point growing it longer and wearing it down might be mutually exclusive, but being a procrastinator myself, I'd say worry about that problem if it ever comes up :).

I do one day up (non-wash day) and one day down (clean). I hate wearing my hair up because I have a miniscule head on a 5 ft 10 body, and my hair is so flat it looks like it's sprayed to my scalp, but on non-wash days it still looks way better than wearing it down & greasy. Not attractive at my age with my features. But I think this is one way I strike a happy balance between up and down.

lyria
July 21st, 2009, 11:03 AM
I wear my hair down a lot of the time and I have to say that it's not in bad condition. I try to keep it protected from wind which I know tangles it, but other than that, my hair is down or in a messy bun with a covered elastic... Wow, I'm a really bad LHC-er!:blushing:

Hilargi
July 23rd, 2009, 03:54 PM
I wear it down as often as I can, because I love the looks and the feel of my hair down.

I'm barely waist length so I can do it without too much trouble, even at work.

I like updos and plaits, I wear them sometimes, but I'm not entirely confortable with tied up hair, I find it too tight, even if I make them loose.

I wear it up (but loose) at home and for sleep.

I don't mind the tangling (I only detangle before shower, anyway) and I'm not aiming for damage free hair anyway, it looks good enough for me as it is.

BUT sometimes I miss changing of style once in a while, and try nice updos, tails and plaits, because they are very pretty too!

So, depends on your hair, if it's not very long, and strong, I think that you can wear it down as often as you want, but this is my personal experience. Somebody commited to grow hair to her/his knees probably needs to wear it up all the time.

For me, hair down is a less protective style, yes, but worth it.

Naamah
July 23rd, 2009, 04:13 PM
I love wearing my hair down. I've been trying to wear it up more recently though.

Shadow Walker
July 23rd, 2009, 04:16 PM
I love wearing my hair down too, I do it all the time except for when I'm at work, then I tie it back. Wouldn't have it any other way. :)

HeatherJenae
July 23rd, 2009, 04:21 PM
I wear mine down all the time. It's a rarity for me to have it up anymore. I love my hair, that's why I'm growing it long, and why in the world would I go to all the trouble, just to put it up?! I don't understand the overly protective thing with the hair. You're growing it, show it off! If you get a tangle, that's what the comb is for! :) Hair is no longer fun when it has more needs than a baby. Putting it up, covering it up, oiling the ever loving snot out of it, never letting it get tangled, etc. I say, if you love it down, then wear it down. If you like it up, then wear it up. You should never feel guilty about how you're wearing it!

kdaniels8811
July 23rd, 2009, 07:01 PM
I compromise by wearing it up all week while I am at work and wearing it down on weekends while spending time with my spousal equivilent. Investing in hair sticks and forks made it easier to wear up, you want to play with the toys! and the "wear your hair up" challenge is really helpful, I have learned several new updos from reading that thread. The biggest reason for me to wear my hair up is to protect it from damage, my hair is fine and thin and gets damaged easily. But when I hit waist, it will be worn down, I am working hard to get it to that length. Wear it how ever you are comfortable.

luckypenny
July 23rd, 2009, 08:16 PM
I love to wear my hair down every so often. When I do that peoples at work are shocked at how long it is getting :)

Nyghtingale
July 23rd, 2009, 08:52 PM
I love to wear mine down. I tend to put it up more in the summer because of the humidity. But I love everything about it. I just have to be a little more careful since I can sit on it now.

keight425
July 23rd, 2009, 09:33 PM
I love to wear my hair down too, but I also just wanted some different hairstyles and that involved putting it up. I wore my hair in a french braid today which was simple enough but something I NEVER do. It definitely was a challenge for me! And people at work commented that they liked it and liked the change. But I just try to get myself acclimated to wearing up, and take it one day at a time.

I am just glad I am NOT alone when I say: "I will never wear it up when it's clean!!!!" It just won't happen, I love it down too much!:eek:

autumnsakura
July 23rd, 2009, 10:11 PM
Haha, I need a "wear your hair down" challenge. I wear my hair up about 90% of the time, and if it's down, it usually ends up in a half up style. As soon as my hair was long enough to be put in a ponytail, up it went. Now, it's hip length, and seriously gets in the way, between chairs that eat hair, my purse strap, the wind, etc. I am growing my hair long so that I can do nifty updos. To each his (her?) own, I guess. I don't like washing my hair everyday, and I refuse to wear my hair down if it has the greasies. I think it makes more of a *bang* when I wear my hair down, because it's a rare event! People tell me I look great with my hair down, but every time I look in the mirror, all I see is some hair just hanging there, with no rhyme or reason, and I feel less attractive. I also seem to draw more, uh, lascivious attention from menfolk when it's down (the next time someone asks me-"is that your natural hair color? are you feisty?"-I might scream).
I think that if you like wearing your hair down, and aren't constantly in the wind or whatever, you should go for it. No harm in learning updos, but I do admire longhairs who wear their hair "long and proud".

juliaxena
July 24th, 2009, 12:02 AM
If I had long hair I'd wear it down all the time. I only like two types of braids and hmm I think no type of bun so far. If you works so hard to have beautiful hair I think you are entiteled to show it.

daydreamer
July 24th, 2009, 12:42 AM
I like to wear mine down a lot too... maybe about 50% of the time. Otherwise it is in a lazy wrap bun or single braid which can get boring -- I've found that it helps to learn some interesting looking updos to motivate one to put it up more often.

RavennaNight
July 24th, 2009, 01:53 AM
I wear mine down all the time. It's a rarity for me to have it up anymore. I love my hair, that's why I'm growing it long, and why in the world would I go to all the trouble, just to put it up?! I don't understand the overly protective thing with the hair. You're growing it, show it off! If you get a tangle, that's what the comb is for! :) Hair is no longer fun when it has more needs than a baby. Putting it up, covering it up, oiling the ever loving snot out of it, never letting it get tangled, etc. I say, if you love it down, then wear it down. If you like it up, then wear it up. You should never feel guilty about how you're wearing it!

:thumbsup: :agree:

Pumpkin3826
January 10th, 2017, 02:06 PM
I love wearing my hair down. It is the only way that I find it comfortable for a whole day. I have learned to just carry a brush with me and brush through it once or twice while I am at work. The only down fall is that with winter it is so staticky! :taz: Granted I am only just passing waist length right now, so maybe once it gets longer I will have to re-evaluate my routine.

Dark40
January 17th, 2017, 04:30 PM
I also love wearing my hair down. I don't think it's damaging at all. As long as you condition and oil your hair a lot. But the majority of the time I wear it up.

Rebeccalaurenxx
January 17th, 2017, 07:27 PM
I love wearing my hair down. Problem is I also love food.
I tend to get food stuck in my hair about 60% of the time... so I wear it up while eating, drinking, playing around.
But when I feel like being myself, I let it down. I know its damaging but I wear it up 5/7 days of the week so I figure I deserve it.

Dark40
January 17th, 2017, 07:38 PM
I love wearing my hair down. Problem is I also love food.
I tend to get food stuck in my hair about 60% of the time... so I wear it up while eating, drinking, playing around.
But when I feel like being myself, I let it down. I know its damaging but I wear it up 5/7 days of the week so I figure I deserve it.

I'm like you too. About 5/7 days a week I wear my hair up. But when I got I will wear it down. I always say when you were it down you can always curl the ends under. Or, you can just bump the ends under so that they don't start splitting.