PDA

View Full Version : Do you like to touch different textured hair?

Speckla
July 19th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Now, I don't mean in a lecherous way but I like to touch different textured hair and enjoy the way that it feels. This of course is with the person's permission. I have a lot of people ask if they touch my hair and I say yes. Most people are surprised at how soft my hair is and how thin it actually is vs. the thickness they think I possess.

akurah
July 19th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Not really, no. Hair's a majorly personal thing for me, and I don't touch other peoples hair unless they ask me to style it for them. I also don't like it when people touch mine unless they're a blood relative or really close. I make exceptions at LHC meets sometimes, though, because for some bizarre reason, I seem to kind of trust other LHCers with my hair. If I had to guess, I'd guess its because I know they're not liable to tie it in a knot or stick gum in it. :shrug:

flapjack
July 20th, 2009, 12:50 AM
No, I'm not really one to touch other people's hair. The only time I touch others' hair is when I'm actually styling/cutting/braiding it for them or when I'm stroking my bf's head. I have no desire or interest in the idea of touching other people's hair, that actually grosses me out a bit. I would feel terribly awkward even asking in the first place.

Just my two cents on the matter. It's not my thing.

Cherry_Sprinkle
July 20th, 2009, 01:58 AM
I'm not really one to go up and ask to touch someone else's hair, but sometimes I am curious. :)

ilovelonghair
July 20th, 2009, 02:20 AM
I have this aunt and whenever I had a new boyfriend she would ask if she could touch his hair. Bit weird, but maybe it's just curiosity

Aditi
July 20th, 2009, 02:54 AM
You have never asked her why she does this? Maybe she thinks that "You can judge a man by his hair texture" (just a joke ok?) :D

Toadstool
July 20th, 2009, 04:18 AM
Yes, when someone has really boingy springy curls!

Newniepg
July 20th, 2009, 04:58 AM
I wouldn't want to touch other peoples hair, mostly because I wouldn't let them touch mine. The only time I touch other people's hair is if I am trying out a hair style on them. I do sometimes admire someone's hair and think, 'wow, I wonder if that is as soft as it looks.' but that is as far as it goes.

That said, I do like to touch my husbands hair, it is so wonderfully thick.

I remember it being different when I was a little girl, in primary school all the girls used to play with each others hair. (possibly why we always used to get nit letters home!).

Tap Dancer
July 20th, 2009, 06:29 AM
No. I don't like to touch other people and I get upset when people try to touch me.

ladylibra
July 20th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Yes, I do. I love my son's hair and play in it all the time. :D And I love SO's hair too.

I do a little styling for other people's kids, and I love feeling their different textures of hair as well. But in this case, the parents have asked me to do the kids' hair so... I get a free pass, hee hee hee. ;)

ilovelonghair
July 20th, 2009, 07:19 AM
You have never asked her why she does this? Maybe she thinks that "You can judge a man by his hair texture" (just a joke ok?) :D

LOL!

I think it is because in my family we all admire beautiful hair and she was probably curious because said past boyfriends had very different hair from people in our family. When 2 years ago me and my partner went oversees and got to meet that aunt, I predicted she was going to do it again, and yes she did! But in this case I could understand, he got the nicest thickest hair and lots of people ask him.

jivete
July 20th, 2009, 07:25 AM
I do, but I would only do it if I knew the person well and made sure it was okay.

nowxisxforever
July 20th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Yes. I won't touch the hair of people I don't know, but my coworkers will periodically ask me something (how to do ___ to their hair, could I please ___ it, do they need a trim yet) and I do then, but I like feeling the difference as well. Appearances can be deceiving on hair types and condition sometimes!

ChatoyantLocks
July 20th, 2009, 11:17 AM
I'm usually only comfortable touching other people's hair if I know them really well.

florenonite
July 20th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Friends, yes, but not random people. I tend to be very physically close with my friends anyway, so stroking their hair or boinging their curls is no different from leaning on them or hugging them, to me at least. I wouldn't go up to someone I didn't know and ask to touch their hair, though. That's like seeing someone with nice skin and asking to stroke it, IMO. ETA: The people whose hair I touch without asking are the people whom I would touch without asking anyway, so I don't see it as any different.

wackyredtangles
July 20th, 2009, 11:22 AM
I love playing with hair. I got together with some girlfriends I hadn't seen in awhile. We ended up sitting around and playing with each others hair. I gave them both crown braids. I wouldn't do that with someone I don't know, and I wouldn't appreciate anyone I don't know doing that to me.

Roseate
July 20th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Touching people's hair feels very intimate to me, much more so than any other "public" part of the body. I totally understand why it's not a public part of the body in some cultures!

I'm always interested in the differences when I do have the chance to touch, but I'd never ask a stranger.

Bianca
July 20th, 2009, 12:24 PM
No, cause I hate it when people touches mine. I had really boingy curls at a party some weeks ago and my gf's kept touching them, destroying my curls :(

But if it was someone close, and they didn't mind then I would :D

Curlsgirl
July 20th, 2009, 12:46 PM
No and really I am not curious. I know what it probably feels like because when I straighten mine it is like 1a and when it's natural it's like 3a or so and feels much different. I don't like it when most people touch mine either except my husband or son or someone I know VERY well. It mostly gives me the heebie jeebies. :eek:

Zéphine
July 20th, 2009, 12:57 PM
I have a high need for personal space, as do most of my friends, so touching someone else's hair would probably be awkward both for me and for the other person. The few people I know who are more touchy-feely happen to have hair similar to mine.
But I love running my fingers through my own hair after taking out braids (even though that probably makes it go straight again sooner).

Fillette
July 20th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Yes, I do. I have a very diverse group of friends and we all have different hair textures. It is very fascinating to me. But I only feel comfortable doing that around my friends, I would probably never approach a stranger to touch their hair.

Starr
July 20th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Yes, but luckily I have all the different textures in my household. My oldest daughter has 2c/3a baby fine silky hair, the baby has 3a fine/medium textured soft fluffy hair, my husband has smooth 1c super dense medium textured hair and my hair is porous 3b medium textured mixed with random coarse and fine strands.

But outside of my family (or a LHC meet) people touching my hair or me touching theirs would just be weird.

neon-dream
July 20th, 2009, 02:30 PM
I love touching other people's hair and playing with it :)!
Luckily people let me haha! I love people touching my hair too!

storytellerzero
July 20th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Sometimes if I see some really healthy beautiful hair, I may want to touch it, but I'm not usually in a social situation to do so. I am absolutely horrified to be near ratted, tangled, broken, suffering hair. I recently was standing in line behind a girl who's hair was unbelievably bad and I couldn't stop staring, like watching a train crash. I had a bad experience one time running my hand through a guys hair and his scalp was completely crusted in scabs which stuck under my fingernails. . . so I'm a bit touch-shy.

I've always like the idea of having someone who adored my hair brush and oil it and rub my scalp. A powerful, possibly sensual experience is what I imagine. Maybe even just a soothing hair lover exchange. My honey offers to brush my hair for me from time to time but it is more because he thinks I want him to than because he enjoys it so the allure evaporates. :rolleyes: Usually I'm very protective of my hair and am offended if people touch without asking.

Aditi
July 21st, 2009, 01:16 AM
LOL!

I think it is because in my family we all admire beautiful hair and she was probably curious because said past boyfriends had very different hair from people in our family. When 2 years ago me and my partner went oversees and got to meet that aunt, I predicted she was going to do it again, and yes she did! But in this case I could understand, he got the nicest thickest hair and lots of people ask him.
Oh that makes sense :D, its quality that matters.

Wicked Princess
July 21st, 2009, 02:13 AM
If someone's hair is particularly "intriguing" then I'll be curious enough to touch it, but have never asked if it is a complete stranger. I imagine if I was a friend to someone with said hair, I would be comfortable enough to ask, but only then it would be to touch a group of strands to get a feel for its texture.

For the most part, touching and playing with my hair is a very sensual experience me. My fiance is the only one I trust enough to wash, comb, and play with my hair.

WavyGirl
July 21st, 2009, 02:20 AM
I never ask to touch peoples' hair and I don't touch without permission. However, I am often asked to style other people's hair for them. Long, short and in between. I think it's because I am always interested in hair and what people are doing with it. That and I enjoy styling hair & most people seem to pick up on that.

I find it very interesting how different hair can be even in the same family and it's challenging to adapt styles to fit different hair types. Braiding super thick and super fine hair can need the same skills used in different ways. My mum and MIL both have weak arms now and find it hard to style their short hair with the dryer or hotbrush so I get to do that too if they stay with us on holiday or something. My sisters and SIL have 3ciii hair which they get me to straighten. It's a real learning experience for me when they talk about products and frizz-causing hazards.

So for me it's not touching for touching's sake, it's the chance to use my styling skills and play with products, tools and accessories that I would not let near my hair these days. :)

rach
July 21st, 2009, 04:21 AM
i've only done it when styling other peoples hair and i'm amazed on how different other people react to different techniques. makes me very aware on how relent i am on my hair coarseness holding styles up were as i do it on someone else's usually they fall out within minutes of going up if they go up. also i'm convinced others have thinner hair shafts than i . think i'm surrounded by fine haired people which by the way don't know how to handle my hair :p

slz
July 21st, 2009, 05:32 AM
I highly dislike it - even people I know well, it feels dirty, I always find a way to opt out when one of my sisters / nieces asks me to style their hair. Even if it's freshly shampooed, I'd wash my hands right after, to me it's rather akin to touching, like, feet. Yikes shudder:
I only like to touch the hair of people I'm physically intimate with.

Marika
July 21st, 2009, 06:13 AM
I don't touch other people's hair unless I give them a trim etc. I used to have two Armenian friends when I was a kid and they sometimes wanted to touch my hair because my texture was (still is) very different compared to theirs (fine/straight vs. coarse/wavy). They also used to be really amazed by my skin (stroking my arms etc.) because it was so much softer and smoother than theirs. That was a bit weird but then again they had just come from Armenia (I don't even know if that was their original country) and didn't know many Finnish people so I guess I was kind of exotic in their eyes...

Rentlle
July 21st, 2009, 07:10 AM
lol, only with people I know..
I just love the way that when you pull at a curl, it bounces XD
lol..
and when I know people very well, I ask sometimes: hey, can I do the bouncy-thing again???
(puppy-eyes)
XD

mwedzi
July 22nd, 2009, 08:25 AM
When I was just entering my teen years, I moved from a nearly all black neighborhood to a nearly all white one and was fascinated with the new hair textures. I touched them a lot, my friends I mean, not strangers. Since, then, though, I don't generally get the urge to touch someone's hair. Even if I wonder about their hair, it doesn't seem to occur to me that I might like to touch it.

Proginoskes
July 22nd, 2009, 08:49 AM
I'm curious about it and I'd like to, but I never even ask to because I don't want to inadvertently offend someone. About the only hair I ever touch other than my own is various boyfriends' I've had, and maybe sometimes my mother's or grandmother's while I'm helping to style theirs.

levelek
July 22nd, 2009, 05:24 PM
I love it! Conditional on it being clean and otherwise alluring. Curly hair is especially tempting :)
I am also tempted to touch statues and interesting textures in museums, though. (I don't do it. But I am tempted!)

I am also fine with other people touching my hair and playing with it, if they are people I trust and like.

23_seconds
July 22nd, 2009, 05:49 PM
||||||||||

enfys
July 23rd, 2009, 06:06 AM
Hmm. Not really. I'm trying to think who of my friends I've actually touched their hair, and it's not a lot. Usually it's only when they bring up the subject as in "My hair shouldn't feel like this ater dying it" or "See, my hair's so think you can lose a hand in it". The only person who gets unsolicited strokes is my fiance.

I have one friend who will grab any part of you that's interested her, be it hair, earrings, clothes whatever, to have a closer look. It's annoying sometimes, but I'm used to it.