PDA

View Full Version : Tree sap in my hair!

bijoux
July 19th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Friday, I was having a lovely evening reading at the beach. Just as we were leaving, I failed to duck low enough under some branches and the top of my head brushed a green pine cone with drops of clear tree sap on it. So now I have tree sap in my hair. I wanted to wait till a normal wash day before tackling it. I have managed since then by wetting a cloth with warm water and smoothing/melting the sap to let the hairs go in more or less the right direction to get my hair into a ponytail.

Anyone experienced this before? I'm not sure the best method to go about getting it out? I have used butter to get sap off my skin before so I might try that. Or maybe ironing cloth/paper wrapped hair just warm enough to urge the sap off the hair onto the cloth would be better?

LutraLutra
July 19th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Try some oil, like coconut and see if you can ease the sap out. I think that if you heated the sap it might spread more, and deeper into your hair, but if it's cold if would peel out. Hope you get it out ok. :)

Rose J.
July 19th, 2009, 01:24 PM
I did a quick internet search and some of the most successful remedies were peanut butter, mayonnaise, and olive oil. Most websites say to use a little heat from a blow dryer if necessary (while the oil in in your hair). I also found that they say pine oil works well, so someone used tea tree oil instead and it worked wonderfully. I don't have any personal experience, but maybe this will help a little, and maybe someone else has a better suggestion. :)

ImperfectBrat
July 19th, 2009, 01:38 PM
I had this happen to me a while back. I just used a drop or 2 of baby oil and it came right out.

Rohele
July 19th, 2009, 04:22 PM
I haven't got it in my hair, but I've used the oil method to get it out of clothes. I think if you saturate it and let it sit for a while it would work OK.

Purell will dissolve it too (works well with clothing, better than oil does), but the alcohol content would make it very drying to hair.

SHELIAANN1969
July 19th, 2009, 04:58 PM
I'm just wondering how long it will take us here at LHC to go out in search of tree sap! (if you have pleasant conditioning effects :D:D:D)

That will be the next new method, tree sap leave in! :D

longhairedfairy
July 19th, 2009, 06:25 PM
I'm just wondering how long it will take us here at LHC to go out in search of tree sap! (if you have pleasant conditioning effects :D:D:D)

That will be the next new method, tree sap leave in! :D
Or maybe as a hair lacquer!:D

Elphie
July 19th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Perhaps ice? Might be able to freeze it and crumble it into small pieces.

Ash
July 19th, 2009, 08:42 PM
I believe maple syrup is tree sap and I have seriously considered mixing it with conditioner to add shine. Not sure about tree sap in general though

Cherry_Sprinkle
July 19th, 2009, 09:24 PM
I was going to suggest a heavy oil and some ice too :flower:

Dex
July 19th, 2009, 09:24 PM
My hair has been assaulted by pine sap. I had no problem taking it out with shampoo, and the new Christmas tree smell lingered for a few hours. :)

trolleypup
July 19th, 2009, 11:55 PM
I ended up using Goo Gone to remove the sap, then oil to remove the Goo Gone, then water to remove the oil. This was also pine sap, that was pretty well squashed into my hair and left for a few days (I was backpacking).

TessieAnn
July 20th, 2009, 12:39 AM
I once answered the front door moments after getting big dollop of pine sap in my hair. The friend at the door suggested peanut butter and it worked like a charm.

The next day, an online friend 3,000 miles away reported finding a baby squirrel whose legs were stuck tight to its body by tree sap. They'd tried baby shampoo to no avail. I wrote back about peanut butter. Two hours later the happy report came back that the baby squirrel was just fine and back in his tree.

From now on we always have a jar of peanut butter on the shelf. I've used it for sap on fingers and even in the carpet.

Good luck!