PDA

View Full Version : Question for people with dreds

LisaButz2001
July 19th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Last night a friend of mine was asking me how much time it took me to grow my hair to where it is (tailbone) I honestly don't know, since it's been this length my whole life, with periodic trims to waist. She, however has chin length dreds that she's starting with and my hair is stick straight and fine. Will her hair type and style make a difference? How long did it take those of you with dreds to get to waist?

Yttrai
July 19th, 2009, 12:27 PM
A friend of mine has dreads to his knees. He started then 19 years ago, from a short-ish guy haircut. He doesn't remember cutting or trimming after the first year or so, when they finally took.

His hair is naturally straight, not curly, he being half white and half Hawai'ian and Asian, though i think it was plenty thick due to all that good hair heritage :)

My other buddy who started his dreads from shoulder length hair about a year ago had 2" dreads at first, but now they are around shoulder length again. He is blonde, and his hair is not naturally curly either.

So there are two data points, if you are going to make a graph ;)

akurah
July 19th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Since the dreads eat up a lot of length (due to the nature of them) I would personally take the average amount of time it takes for a person to grow, say, from shoulder to waist, then double it for the person with dreads. It also likely depends on the thickness of the dreads--thinner locs will probably not eat as much length as the fatter ones.