PDA

View Full Version : A question for those with slippery hair who bun for sleep

EllisGurl
July 19th, 2009, 08:50 AM
I used to braid my hair for sleep. Now that I got the sides cut, half of it slips out during the night. I don't feel like that's very productive. I mean, the main reason I braid is to protect my hair and it's not protected if it's coming loose of the braid. Not to mention that it's in my face!

So I've been trying to bun at night. The problem: I can't figure out how to secure it. My hair has snot-like slipperiness.

I've tried wavelength pins and Amish pins. They slide out at least part way and end up with the ends poking me in the scalp or they slide out all the way and I "find" then later by being stuck by them when I roll over on them.

I don't have sticks short enough. Even if I did, hairsticks have never done for a secure up-do.

I've tried covering the bun with knee-high hose and wrapping the end around the bun. That just slides out as well.

I haven't tried a scrunchie. I figure I'd have an even less successful result as with the knee-high.

I'm not a very active sleeper so I don't feel like it's my moving around excessively that's making this difficult.

So the question is: how do you secure the bun so that it will stay?

Cinnamon Hair
July 19th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Not the solution you were asking for, but with that much slipperiness your only choice other than loose may be a sleep cap or a Buff (http://www.planetbuff.com/?gclid=CPKMmL_C4psCFQa-sgodTR7m-w). Or maybe a scrunchie ponytail only pulled half way through on the second wrap.

Konstifik
July 19th, 2009, 01:55 PM
I got exactly the same problem, but unfortunatley I haven't found a fantastic solution. What I'm currently doing is putting my hair in a half-ponytail at the top of my head, as close to the forehead as possible. That doesn't work that well if you got very long hair though, I think.

EllisGurl
July 19th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Cinnamon Hair!!! I'd have to go on a hunt for scrunchies that are the right size. All I seem to have are ones that are too tight for three raps but too loose at two--even if I don't pull it through all the way.

I just don't think I could do a sleep cap, I get enough ribbing about the things I do to/for my hair and I'd feel silly. The Buff might be and answer though....

spidermom
July 19th, 2009, 02:04 PM
I make a top-of-head ponytail held with a satin scrunchie, lightly twist the length, wind it around the base of the ponytail, and tuck the ends of the hair under the scrunchie. I'm a tosser and a turner, so I usually get out of bed in the mornings with a sliding-down-my-head ponytail. But that's o.k.; I don't want to be strangled by my hair around my face or my neck at night.

amaiaisabella
July 19th, 2009, 02:22 PM
I use a big cotton scrunchie (think those of the 90s :)) to wind around my hair twice like a ponytail, but don't pull the hair all the way through on the last round. I usually do 2, sometimes 3 wraps to get it firm but not tight. I use a leave-in at night, so this provides needed traction to keep the hair in place during the night.

longhairedfairy
July 19th, 2009, 06:35 PM
I use a scrunchie and a bee-butt bun.:)

dragonfrog
July 19th, 2009, 10:38 PM
I don't bun my hair to sleep (a braid works fine for me), but my hair is quite slippery. So far I have found hair scroos hold my hair much better than any other sort of hairpins. I've tried Amish pins, Good Days pins, and regular pins, and only the hair scroos have been able to hold up a bun on their own. I got mine off of eBay (from a seller in China).
Hope that helps :)

Cherry_Sprinkle
July 19th, 2009, 11:04 PM
I use a scrunchie and a bee-butt bun.:)

I sometimes do the same :)

Off topic but what do Buffs look like on?

jeno
July 20th, 2009, 04:10 AM
I use tiny mini claw clips. U-pins just ends up sliding out...

Marbles
July 20th, 2009, 05:24 AM
I do a bee butt bun on the top of my head and clip it with a claw clip about an inch long on the side nearest my forehead. That way I find I can lie on my back or either side with out it being uncomfortable and I also dont have to get a plait out of the way when I move :)

EllisGurl
July 20th, 2009, 06:09 AM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions!!!

<snip>

Off topic but what do Buffs look like on?

A Buff is a long tube of material that can be manipulated to wear as anything from a hat to a headband to a tube top. They became popular when the TV show Survivor started distributing them as team colours.

Here (http://www.planetbuff.com/?gclid=CLjV3KSf5JsCFQ7xDAodkmG0_w) is there website. :)

embee
July 20th, 2009, 06:25 AM
I do a top of the head (and I mean *top*) pony and then twist it into a gibralter style bun and hold it with a big hairpin. A hair Scroo would work even better but I don't have any. My hair is slick and slippery, and this works for me. It does NOT work without the elastic.