PDA

View Full Version : cosmetic database

jastreb
July 19th, 2009, 07:41 AM
http://www.cosmeticdatabase.com/
I just found this site. It is interesting because it is a cosmetic safety database. It advises users about what hazards are associated with specific products.
It gives rating from 1-10, with 10 having the most potential hazards.
For example henna gets a 0 or 1 (1 just because some people may have allergies to it) and Clairol Herbal Essences gets a 10.

Buddaphlyy
July 19th, 2009, 07:47 AM
This has been posted before and I still can give a flying fanny about what it says. There are a lot more dangers in the world than shampoo.

I'm sure someone will find it useful though.

RancheroTheBee
July 19th, 2009, 08:34 AM
That's really interesting. Thank you for the link!

Themyst
July 19th, 2009, 08:45 AM
It is interesting. I mostly wear Clinique makeup, so I looked it up and it would appear I apply a biohazard to my face daily.

Strange, isn't it, since the FDA approves these cosmetics to put on your skin.

I would suspect the results would be the same if not worse if they had used processed food as their database.

EllisGurl
July 19th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Thanks for this!!!! I'll really use this info!

Elettaria
July 19th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Um, no, henna is coming up as a 5-7. Henna extract is coming up as a 0. I have no idea how they're classifying this, though as they're putting "colourless henna" in with lawsonia inermis, I suspect problems.

Generally it looks like a very useful site, so thank you. I've had nasty dermatitis from shampoos that were allegedly very gentle and would have really appreciated knowing this sort of thing, not that it's listing that particular (UK) brand.

Hang on a minute, it's listing lemongrass oil as a 0. Use enough lemongrass oil and it would easily be an irritant, I believe it's at least medium on the essential oil toxicity scale and it's certainly very easy to cause nausea with it. Maybe it's just not been tested much?

jastreb
July 20th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Um, no, henna is coming up as a 5-7. Henna extract is coming up as a 0. I have no idea how they're classifying this, though as they're putting "colourless henna" in with lawsonia inermis, I suspect problems.

Generally it looks like a very useful site, so thank you. I've had nasty dermatitis from shampoos that were allegedly very gentle and would have really appreciated knowing this sort of thing, not that it's listing that particular (UK) brand.

Hang on a minute, it's listing lemongrass oil as a 0. Use enough lemongrass oil and it would easily be an irritant, I believe it's at least medium on the essential oil toxicity scale and it's certainly very easy to cause nausea with it. Maybe it's just not been tested much?

Actually the 5-7 rating is for products 'containing' henna, note the text besides the ingredient that states.
"Browse products containing LAWSONIA INERMIS (HENNA)" (http://www.cosmeticdatabase.com/ingredient.php?ingred06=719449)

But if you just note Lawsonia Inermis without any products beside it, it shows a 0 rating. :) I couldn't find a notation for lemongrass oil that didn't have any products associated with it.

ETA:
Additionally, you'll notice in the FAQ:

" * The hazard score represents a synthesis of known and suspected hazards from more than 50 definitive databases. The hazard rating of a product can be higher than for its individual ingredients — it adds up the hazards of all ingredients, and is scaled higher if the product has penetration enhancers or other ingredients that increase skin absorption. This score is similar to the rating previously shown in Skin Deep, but now accounts for more safety references and we show it on a 0-10 scale (with no decimals, 10 corresponding to highest concern).
* The "data gap" rating is a measure of how much is unknown about an ingredient. Not all ingredients have the same amount of safety data. For example, some ingredients may appear to have low hazards, but this may be due to the fact that they have not have been studied or assessed completely. Other ingredients may appear to have low hazards and have been thoroughly studied or assessed. This score helps differentiate between ingredients and products that have been studied to different degrees."