PDA

View Full Version : Your favourite protective hairstyle

Chamy
July 18th, 2009, 01:55 PM
I was wondering what hairstyle you think works best on you for protective reasons. In other words- what hairstyle cause the smallest amount of damage? :)

DiyaC
July 18th, 2009, 01:58 PM
A simple braid. I love it.

Chamy
July 18th, 2009, 02:03 PM
I like a simple braid too DiyaC. Simple and beautiful.

jeno
July 18th, 2009, 02:08 PM
The pencil bun. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0k3dD4qX34
Not very much twisting, no elastics, and the ends are protected. Very comfy too.

amaiaisabella
July 18th, 2009, 02:11 PM
I like a french twist for protectiveness. It requires quite a bit of twisting (at least in my case), but once up, the twist holds like a rock the whole day, and if I put leave-in on my ends, it absorbs better held up like that versus a bun or braid.

Chamy
July 18th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Not very much twisting, no elastics, and the ends are protected. Very comfy too. Very nice, when my hair gets a little longer i will start using that one.

I like a french twist for protectiveness. It requires quite a bit of twisting (at least in my case), but once up, the twist holds like a rock the whole day, and if I put leave-in on my ends, it absorbs better held up like that versus a bun or braid. Oh i had completely forgot about the french twist, i used to wear it all the time in first grade, haha. :p

longhairedfairy
July 18th, 2009, 02:26 PM
A simple braid. It keeps it safe and out of the way and out of mishcief.:D

Copasetic
July 18th, 2009, 02:32 PM
A simple braid. It keeps it safe and out of the way and out of mishcief.:D

What do you use to secure your braid?

Dementia1013
July 18th, 2009, 02:34 PM
A tucked dutch braid. If I don't tuck it it will fray my layers as it rubs against my back or couch etc.

Vrushali
July 18th, 2009, 03:05 PM
I usually do a simple braid and then pencil bun it. Looks cute and stays put all day!:)

jeno
July 18th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Oh yes. The frech twist of course! How could I forget it?!? That's the best one. Works at different lengths too.

MsBubbles
July 18th, 2009, 03:16 PM
An English braid lightly oiled, and held with one of these things:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2502/3733374442_b3ee024c2b.jpg?v=0

Twisting styles, I found out, are not kind to my hair, and sticks cause snapping sounds :bigeyes:.

I also like the pretzel bun, as seen in JJJLonghair's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElSCHnzYtM8) video. No twisting and it works even as my hair gets longer. 24" = one wrap around, 25" = 2 wraps around, etc.

danacc
July 18th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Around the house, I wear it in a simple braid, unfastened at the end. I keep the braid in front of me, pulled over one shoulder. That way, I can keep it out of trouble.

More protective for me are the non-twist hairstick styles. The orchid bun or modified Karen Lynn knots work well.

Cindi Eponabri
July 18th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Not very much twisting, no elastics, and the ends are protected. Very comfy too.

I do a version of this one too...

pdy2kn6
July 19th, 2009, 12:50 AM
A simple nautillus bun held with a small art brush I found

Katrina
July 19th, 2009, 02:39 AM
A version of a pencil bun... or is it a nautilus bun? Well, at least I secure it with a stick or two.

Elainehali
July 19th, 2009, 03:36 AM
I usually go for a normal bun with GIANT bobby pins.

Rentlle
July 19th, 2009, 04:08 AM
I go often for nautilus or split bun.
but I think, every style where your hair doesn't scrab @ your bag is good :)

BirdieGene
July 19th, 2009, 07:22 AM
I like two braids pulled to the front, with a touch of silicone serum. A single braid often gets knotty in the baby hairs by my the nape of my neck. With this hair style I can wear it from one wash to the next without brushing or combing, which is where I think I get most of my damage.

amaiaisabella
July 19th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Oh i had completely forgot about the french twist, i used to wear it all the time in first grade, haha. :p

Well, now you can move beyond first grade :) A french twist is very classy and professional for work, as well as school.

young&reckless
July 19th, 2009, 07:00 PM
I love a pretzel bun but i twist mine so it looks like a wavy circle. See my profile pic.

Medievalhair
July 19th, 2009, 07:30 PM
French braid or bun.

Tressie
July 19th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Any version of a figure eight, or cinnabun, or whatever. I don't twist too tightly and I'll use a ficcare or stick/s.

Cherry_Sprinkle
July 19th, 2009, 09:31 PM
I do a cinnamon bun most often..

HappyHair87
July 19th, 2009, 09:45 PM
I like either the Lazy Wrap bun, or a regular bun with an ouchless band, or a french braid or a cinnabun or a french twist.

My hair loves buns!!!:D

Chamy
July 21st, 2009, 04:38 PM
Well, now you can move beyond first grade :) A french twist is very classy and professional for work, as well as school.

I will definately try the french twist again. That is such a weird hairstyle to wear in first grade come to think of it. :D

GeoJ
July 21st, 2009, 05:58 PM
I like a bun I learned from an Indian long hair video. I couldn't find the original video that I learned from, but I found one that shows the bun I use (except I only do one and my hair is thinner and shorter than hers is).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RwfbPkTfRI

thankyousir74
July 21st, 2009, 06:06 PM
I enjoy my french braid! Simple, yet keeps the tiny hairs out of my face.

Curlsgirl
July 21st, 2009, 07:08 PM
Figure 8 but more often I just wear a simple English braid.

Teakafrog
July 22nd, 2009, 06:24 PM
Definitely NOT a braid--snags on everything! I do a cinnabun or French twist (either only takes 2 or 3 good hair days pins), and put some sort of leave-in conditioner on the ends before I tuck them under for extra goodness.

mimi1153
July 22nd, 2009, 08:02 PM
Another vote for the nautilus bun - quick , never loosens and very easy on my hair.

Pear Martini
December 28th, 2009, 11:44 AM
bump :o

Heavenly Locks
December 28th, 2009, 11:47 AM
lazy wrap bun :)

bumblebums
December 28th, 2009, 12:16 PM
My hair is too short right now for anything more elaborate than a cinnamon bun. :(

The most effective updo for me is a variant of a braided bun. I braid my hair, point the braid up, tuck the end in, and poke two hairsticks through, vertically, to keep it in place. It stays up pretty well.

I like the French braid, since I'm least likely to fiddle with my hair when I have it in that style. It probably won't work once it's longer.

little_acorn
December 28th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Lazy wrap for me at the moment - for some reason my cinnabuns are not working at the moment!!!

Stormcast
December 28th, 2009, 12:34 PM
dry side braid with no bobby pins/clips.

DanielleRenae
December 29th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Fishtail braid. Stylish and practical.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm187/Gripz2010/DSC01136.jpg

curlylocks85
December 29th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Hmmm well right now with my current length I have been wearing regular buns warped in a scarf and recently I have been able to do the French twist, which I use one of my big claw clips for thick hair to secure it. I like these because I think about my hair less and less damage happens.

I suppose if I wanted to, I could do a Dutch/French braid and just tuck the underneath.

Keildra
December 29th, 2009, 04:18 PM
I did a dutch braid and clipped up the tail a few days ago and it felt pretty protected and pretty easy

GlitterBunny
December 29th, 2009, 04:20 PM
I like doing a french braid. I'm growing out my bangs so a simple braid doesn't work for me.

Cake
December 29th, 2009, 04:30 PM
I usually wear a cinnamon bun for staying at home. To me buns are more comfortable than braids because the hair is up in my head.

Fishtail braid. Stylish and practical.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm187/Gripz2010/DSC01136.jpg
I love your thickness and hair color. That braid look gorgeous!

Naamah
December 29th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Just a simple English Braid or a Cinnabun are the styles I usually do. I need to learn more...

Shermie Girl
December 29th, 2009, 06:06 PM
For me, a good old cinnabun. When my hair is once again long enough I will also start wearing braided buns and KL knots. :D

yellowchariot
December 29th, 2009, 06:18 PM
I'm a big fan of the mohawk braid. Yesterday a friend asked me if I would fix her mother's computer. Due to my long'ish hair, it can be annoying at times especially static electricity. Anytime I have to work on a computer I sweat, slobbery, wallow in the floor, and carry on :laugh:! So my friend done a dutch braid on me. I mean't to take pics, because it looked awesome, but I forgot. Nevertheless, it held the entire 3 hours, and I slept overnight in it. :thumbsup:

XeniaR
December 29th, 2009, 08:48 PM
I like a bun I learned from an Indian long hair video. I couldn't find the original video that I learned from, but I found one that shows the bun I use (except I only do one and my hair is thinner and shorter than hers is).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RwfbPkTfRI

I am so glad you posted this!

My hair is between BSL and waist and thin but also slippery. Pins and even rubber bands fall out. So often I wear my hair just loose rather then fight with it but when I want it out of the way, I have tried tieing it in a simple knot that lasts about 10 minutes.... long enough for a chiropractor visit or hair break.

I am going to try this method. So far it is staying put sitting here at the computer. I will try it again when more active.

My usual protective method is a simple braid right after adding some jojaba oil, fastened with an outchless band... but this does not last all day. After 2 or 3 hours, I have to redo it.

It is winter here and I try to always keep my hair inside my coat and a cap on my head when outside.

walterSCAN
December 29th, 2009, 09:37 PM
In the past I would usually just do two braids brought to the front, or the whacked-out thing that was the only way I could get hair sticks to work... but I just learned the lazy bun, and I think I'm going to be using it more often...

klcqtee
December 29th, 2009, 09:42 PM
A perimeter braid, with my ends tucked back up. Or a french braid that starts low on my head (a bit below the crown), and then tucked back up, and held with a bobby pin or two. I might have to try the two vertical hairsticks though!

Vijikanth
January 2nd, 2010, 01:08 PM
I feel a not too tight braided pigtails is very secure. At least for the length of hair I have.. :(
I prefer ponytail with another band at the end of the hair . This way my hair remains out of tangles and breakage.

Forever_Sophie
January 2nd, 2010, 01:24 PM
My giant claw clip. I love braids, too, but protective for me inc. not letting my hair touch the back of any chair I sit on (ideally...). My lice phobia continues! LOL

renarok
January 2nd, 2010, 01:37 PM
My giant claw clip. I love braids, too, but protective for me inc. not letting my hair touch the back of any chair I sit on (ideally...). My lice phobia continues! LOL

I can totally relate!!!! I have a hard time going to the movies because I am kinda freaky about who's head was last touching the seat.....I solve it by putting my hair up and draping a scarf against the seat back. But I still am not 100% at ease.

I wear a lazy wrap or nautilus bun most of the time. Not too much twisting and the style lasts all day so I don't have to handle my hair unnecessarily.

Forever_Sophie
January 2nd, 2010, 01:40 PM
I can totally relate!!!! I have a hard time going to the movies because I am kinda freaky about who's head was last touching the seat.....I solve it by putting my hair up and draping a scarf against the seat back. But I still am not 100% at ease.

So glad I'm not alone! *whew* I'm always scrutinizing the back of the chair...not sure what I expect to see or find, LOL, but I inspect! I'll remember that scarf tip ;)

ArienEllariel
January 2nd, 2010, 02:07 PM

Awesome. My hair is almost long enough to do this. :D OK well I did a modified version of this but my ends are all sticking out.. a couple more inches and it might be doable (and that was around 2 fingers...) xD

DanielleRenae
January 2nd, 2010, 02:15 PM

It's nice to know that I'm not the only person who's terrified by public seating.

ArienEllariel
January 2nd, 2010, 02:35 PM

Ugh I'm terrified at the thought of head lice. D:

Harriet
January 28th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Would a flower bun/curls bun be considered a protective style? I've fallen in love with doing my hair like this.

Little_Bird
January 28th, 2010, 12:25 PM
I used to love simple braids but they are not effectively protective anymore.

My favorite might be the chinese bun, because it holds all day long and keeps everything in place. But as I have to use bobby pins to hold it I don't wear it often so...

Yeah, maybe the lazy wrap bun :p

elina333
January 28th, 2010, 12:51 PM
I just started wearing protective hairstyles but I guess I'll have to say a braid... I just keep it secured with a very soft elastic.

Aquamarine
January 28th, 2010, 01:27 PM
I like the basic English braid...it's easy to do and stays good all day.

AnitaThorn
January 28th, 2010, 06:15 PM
I usually do a cinnamon bun with the ends tucked in. It only needs 1 hairstick, and it stays put all day! Sometimes it even stays without any tools at all. :)

Thinthondiel
January 28th, 2010, 06:30 PM
I guess I must be kind of weird, because I don't feel that loose braids are protective at all; the ends and the shorter hairs that stick out of the braid rub against my back. I actually feel that braids do more damage to my short hairs than when I have my hair loose, because the weight of the braid makes the short hairs rub kind of hard against my back (at an unnatural angle I might add, because the part that's in the braid follows the direction of the braid while the part that sticks out is being rubbed in another direction), while my loose hair just slides in natural movements across my back.