PDA

View Full Version : Stopped Shedding!!!

GoddesJourney
July 18th, 2009, 09:53 AM
So I was having a shedding problem. My hair actually grows really fast but it's always been a ii probably because I shed so much. I remember it always being this way. My mom sheds a lot. My dad sheds a lot. So the burning question... why? Is it genetic? Do we all just not care enough to take care of our hair? Is it the products we use? Water temperature?

Anyway, I was shedding less in Brazil because I was using cold water every day even though I was using Dove Intense Therapy which is about as coney as it gets. So I started keeping track of what makes me shed:

1. BBB. No kidding, this makes me shed like crazy. If fact, over brushing with any brush makes me lose a lot of hair. Even just playing with my hair a lot pulls it out like making hairstyles and taking them out, brushing/combing and making a new one.

2. Showering with hot water. It makes a big difference. I don't have to shower with cold water, warm water is fine.

3. Really coney stuff. I cut back on cones. I switched to Mane N Tail conditioner and the same brand of shampoo but the extra moisture version that I think has cones but not much.

So I stopped BBB-ing a couple of months ago. Much better. I started using warm enough but not hot water a few weeks ago and it helped a little too. About a week ago, I switched to the Main N Tail and that just topped it off! So, instead of having a handful of hair on my shower wall after every shower, I've been having just a few hairs. Even after combing (wet) or brushing (dry), I only drop about half the usual amount. I've also had my hair braided more so I'm not as tempted to play with it and leave a pile of hair on the floor. I wear it down too, but there have been fewer "tumble weeds" of hair on my floor. That's good news for everyone!

Yay! :cheese:

ericthegreat
July 18th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Ok girl, I read it and I went, you actually stopped shedding ALTOGETHER?! I'm glad you clarified and that you still do shed like the rest of us, just not the tremendous amount you were before. :)

Climate, the foods we eat and water we drink and the differences between hard and soft water in different locations all effect our general health and of course our hair growth and shed rate. I'm sure over in Brazil you were over on vacation and you felt less stressed, its obviously a lot warmer over there and you felt more relaxed and maybe you were eating richer foods and the water was better and like you said you were washing with cold water so yeah I can definitely see how you would end up shedding less.

LittleOrca
July 18th, 2009, 10:07 AM
:cheer:

That's good new to hear! :)

FallenAngel
July 18th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Thanks for sharing! I'll think about what you wrote when I shower. I usually like my water HOT, but I'll try to use not-so-hot water on my hair and scalp, and see if I notice any diffrence.

(I'm already cone-free and don't brush)

Elenna
July 18th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Also keeping a diary of what makes for more or less shedding helps in tracking down the problem.

But you did the right thing in figuring out that your hair washing routine was at fault.

Amara
July 18th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Good for you for figuring all that out!

jera
July 18th, 2009, 02:21 PM
That is so cool. :D I'm happy you solved your problem. The hair care journal sounds like a great idea too, one I may adopt myself. :o

:cheese::cheese::cheese:

Wicked Princess
July 18th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Congratulations on discovering ways to improve your hair's health! That's always a sure way to make me thrilled for weeks on end...which I hope in turn helps my hair, too, hehe!

GoddesJourney
July 20th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Ok girl, I read it and I went, you actually stopped shedding ALTOGETHER?! I'm glad you clarified and that you still do shed like the rest of us, just not the tremendous amount you were before. :)

Climate, the foods we eat and water we drink and the differences between hard and soft water in different locations all effect our general health and of course our hair growth and shed rate. I'm sure over in Brazil you were over on vacation and you felt less stressed, its obviously a lot warmer over there and you felt more relaxed and maybe you were eating richer foods and the water was better and like you said you were washing with cold water so yeah I can definitely see how you would end up shedding less.

Not vacation, more stressed. I was there for four months and I was going crazy stuck inside the apartment most of the time. The food was actually pretty unhealthy and the water had a very high chlorine content. That's part of why I have eight inches of damage now, but I was shedding less. More damage, less shedding.

SpinDance
July 20th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Thanks for sharing your results. I'd been considering BBB, but haven't used a brush for years and was a bit afraid to try it. Now I think I'll skip that as probably not a good idea for my hair.

I used to have a lot more hairs come out, both in the shower and when I combed my hair, than I do now, too. I don't use hot water, just warm enough to be comfortable, so that wasn't a factor for me. For me the biggest difference seems to have been the kind of comb I used. I've ditched the cheap drug-store picks and combs, and moved to only horn or wooden forks. Since then way less hair comes out.

walkinglady
July 20th, 2009, 01:47 PM
I'm glad your shedding has decreased and that you have found a few key ways of reducing it. I'm going to keep an eye on the effects of water temperature and my hair. Thanks for the tip!

MunchkinBubble
July 20th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Congrats! That's got to feel great!
I always mean to take a cooler shower, but then once the morning hits I immediately crank it over as hot as it can go.
I also need to stop changing my hair style so much throughout the day I'm sure all the extra detangling and twisting doesn't help. Keep up with the healthy habits!

jivete
July 20th, 2009, 02:33 PM
That's awesome. I quit shedding as much when I stopped washing daily with a coney shampoo. My shedding is up a bit and I think I may need to re-visit my washing techniques. I still don't shed as much as I used to.

LaurelSpring
July 20th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Great info! I think my showers may be too hot even though I finish with a cold rinse. So far the worst shed for me have been caused by chemicals.

Tressie
July 21st, 2009, 10:53 AM
Congratulations! Thanks for sharing your tips! I always shed when I detangle too much and change my style too much.....or do anything much to my hair!

I admit I don't get enough sleep and I don't eat as healthily as I should..........this COULD my problem (o:

Good luck!