PDA

View Full Version : Fairytailing - when/where did you start ?

Niphredil
July 18th, 2009, 05:36 AM
I like to end-up at fingertip with fairytale ends. I not sure however at what length I should start letting my hair fairytale?

Right now am aprox. at BSL with layers starting just past shoulderlength and I'm vitually split and damage free. I vowed not to trim my hair until Jan 2010 but I'm still at a loss what to do next. My hair tends to grow in a full hem which I don't like and which is also the reason I want to 'grow' fairytales so that would suggest just to stop trimming right now. But then I am experiencing less growth ever since my last trim in December 2008 .... I can't imagine it is related but it has me worried about just letting things go from here. So....

Should I just refrain from trimming and start fairlytaling from now on?
Or should I first even-up the majority of the layers at BSL or Waist and then stat fairytaling?

How did you do it (or how did it happen if not planned)?

This is my hair end of May 2009:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v411/Niphredil_82/Haar/Groei/th_090527b.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v411/Niphredil_82/Haar/Groei/?action=view&current=090527b.jpg)

Finoriel
July 18th, 2009, 06:29 AM
At your length, my hair grew with a full hemline too. Light fairytaling started at about tailbone and noticeable fairytaling set in past classic, even with trimming off half of the growth every other month. I guess you donīt need to worry about īneverī developing fairytale ends, just let your hair grow and as it grows it will develope itīs own natural taper. Itīs likely that it will thin out between classic and fingertip and just do what youīre hoping for :)
If you want fairytale ends, why cut off the layers? Layers basically are artificial farytale ends. Let it grow, S&D from time to time and maybe a tiny trim once a year to keep eventual īracing hairsī at bay.

LaurelSpring
July 18th, 2009, 06:38 AM
I will be interested in seeing the responses to your question. I just quit trimming in Dec but my grown out layers are my fairytale ends right now. I dont know how it would be if I started from a blunt cut. I think it would harder to start from blunt because when it started getting uneven it might be more noticable and make me crazy but since my layers made it look like a false natural hemline it hasnt been so difficult to just let it go. I would suggest the put it up and forget it routine for awhile at least until you see how its going to grow and if you like it. Or, you could do what I did and have false fairytale ends layered in, but I dont know that I would go that route again. I have a very extreme taper and of course the ends are very thin which is going to be a natural by product of fairytale ends anyway but I think letting it do it on its own is a better idea. Still, I love my ends better than if it were blunt at the moment.

Xandergrammy
July 18th, 2009, 06:39 AM
I agree with what Finoriel said. Just let it grow and it will fairy tale. I haven't had a cut/trim in 13 years. I grew out from a pixie, not a blunt cut, if that helps.

Firefly
July 18th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Not sure how helpful this is, but mine started fairytale-ing a little past BSL.

Amara
July 18th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Last year, around the time I was getting close to hip length, I trimmed for the last time. Since then it's gotten noticeably uneven at the hemline, but all the ends are still within an inch or two of each other, so it's like blunt fairy tales, if that makes sense. :) I'm planning on not trimming for a while longer, to see what sort of hemline will keep developing.

Niphredil
July 18th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Itīs likely that it will thin out between classic and fingertip and just do what youīre hoping for :)
If you want fairytale ends, why cut off the layers? Layers basically are artificial farytale ends. Let it grow, S&D from time to time and maybe a tiny trim once a year to keep eventual īracing hairsī at bay.

In my previous grow-out attempt I got just past hip with a very full hemline with 2-3 monthly small self-trims. It still grew pretty fast despite the trims, so I really have no clue when to expect natural thinning. There is just this thing about layers... this feeling that one should even them out before growing-out. Rationally it doesn't make sense unless blunt is the goal and since I want to avoid that one... But still..... it feels like I 'have' to do something about it... :shrug:

Still, I love my ends better than if it were blunt at the moment.I feel the same about my layers, although they are a pia with updo's and braids.

I agree with what Finoriel said. Just let it grow and it will fairy tale. I haven't had a cut/trim in 13 years. I grew out from a pixie, not a blunt cut, if that helps.
Growing out from a pixie sort of resembles growing from a layered style, only shorter... I really like the way your hair naturally tapers, it looks so much more natural than a thick full hem, especially on your (and mine) hairtype!

It just feels so.... like I'm forgetting something, not doing something I should do.
Maybe I'm just weird, maybe I just need some more time to change my (subconscious) mindset...

Thnx for your replies !

mira-chan
July 18th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Mine will start fairytaling about a month or two after a blunt cut, no matter the length. That's just how my hair grows, unevenly. Yours seems to grow much more evenly and will just take longer to fairytale.

Marika
July 18th, 2009, 09:10 AM
^ This happens to me too. My hemline stays even for two months max after trim and that's it. I used to be really frustrated with that but now I'm liking my fairytale ends! :)

ericthegreat
July 18th, 2009, 09:15 AM
I had very pronounced, fairy ends last year. I went a year and a half without even a dusting between July 09 of 2007 to around Christmas time of 2008. In July of 2007, I was at lower back length and I was determined to get to waist length ASAP. I finally reached waist length by the summer of 2008, as you can see here:
http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l382/eric29-bucket/eric13-1.jpg

Since then I've received two trims, about a little less than 1 inch on Christmas and one more dusting on Feb 02 of this year. As you can see now I have a neater blunt one-length line:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3493&pictureid=44538

I plan on simply letting my hair get to terminal from now on, and whenever I reach that final milestone who knows I might cut it back to butt length which is where I am now.

LittleOrca
July 18th, 2009, 10:01 AM
I don't remember when my started to fairytale, and I didn't even know it was called that until I got here. I think it started when I hit BSL or a little below that, but I didn't really notice it until I was in college.

Here are my fairytale ends... though ericthegreat considers it more of a lion's mane. :D
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff176/Little_Orca/Long%20Hair%20Gallery/Long%20Hair%20Journey/IMG_2253.jpg

rhondalicious
July 19th, 2009, 06:21 PM
My hair is ALMOST waist length, and I've just started getting noticeable fairy tale ends... I'm just annoyed because now you can see where some spots on my head have grown differently, so there are random hunks that are way shorter than the rest... it makes me think the fairies have accidentally lopped off a few locks in my sleep!

Peregrine
July 20th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Around the time I stopped trimming (at APL) I was also going through a huge shedding period.
So my hair almost immediately started to fairytale.

Jinx2234
July 20th, 2009, 09:18 PM
I like to end-up at fingertip with fairytale ends. I not sure however at what length I should start letting my hair fairytale?

Right now am aprox. at BSL with layers starting just past shoulderlength and I'm vitually split and damage free. I vowed not to trim my hair until Jan 2010 but I'm still at a loss what to do next. My hair tends to grow in a full hem which I don't like and which is also the reason I want to 'grow' fairytales so that would suggest just to stop trimming right now. But then I am experiencing less growth ever since my last trim in December 2008 .... I can't imagine it is related but it has me worried about just letting things go from here. So....

Should I just refrain from trimming and start fairlytaling from now on?
Or should I first even-up the majority of the layers at BSL or Waist and then stat fairytaling?

How did you do it (or how did it happen if not planned)?

This is my hair end of May 2009:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v411/Niphredil_82/Haar/Groei/th_090527b.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v411/Niphredil_82/Haar/Groei/?action=view&current=090527b.jpg)

Since you know you want to end up with fairytale ends, I would suggest that you stop trimming and just let your hair grow. I know my hair grows unevenly so I end up with fairytale ends after awhile of not trimming. I don't know exactly how long it took for the ends to fairytale, I haven't trimmed my hair in almost a year, but I usually wear my hair up and I didn't even realize my ends were fairytaled until I took my first pic for LHC.

myotislucifugus
July 20th, 2009, 09:29 PM
I think mine are now, at about waist. My hair grows really unevenly, after only a 4-5 months of not trimming, there is a pretty deep V. But... then again, it could just be thinning from natural growth and my back o' the head pics are taken with my arms up so it could be inaccurate.

Cereus
July 20th, 2009, 09:39 PM
My hair grew out from a short layered cut. I went 1.5 years without atrim and then trimmed an inch every three months`for another year. I'm due for a trim now but at hip length I've realized that i'm liking how my ends are startint to curl and fairytale. So, i'm feeling no need to trim at the moment. Who knows, maybe not for a long time.

Niphredil
July 21st, 2009, 12:40 AM
Thank you for all your responses and added pictures!

Even though my hair is quite layered now, it doesn't look like it because the hemline is still pretty full. It is most noticeable when it's in a braid with all the layers sticking out everywhere.
The overall shape is pretty OK too, it looks like a deep V with the very tip cut off.

I'm sure fairytailing is on of those things where mileage may vary a lot, depending on genetics, damage still present, or a stressing/hormonal event that induces shedding.
I guess since mine grows rather thick until hip at least, I should just stop trimming now. If it gets too thin before I want to, I can always do a trim then.

It just seems wrong somehow. Maybe I'm still brainwashed into trimming every 3 months, because I used to get an explosion of splits by then.

Calista
July 21st, 2009, 12:49 AM
My hair grows in a full hemline, just like yours. I would like to have fairytale ends at some point, but my problem is that my hair grows faster on one side, so if I just let it be it would look very lopsided eventually.

The thing that is helping me most towards a less blunt hemline is diligent S&D. As your hair gets longer there are bound to be some splits, bent ends, white dots etc., so if you are not too picky about what you snip off you will help your hair to fairytale.

Niphredil
July 21st, 2009, 03:54 AM
My hair grows in a full hemline, just like yours. I would like to have fairytale ends at some point, but my problem is that my hair grows faster on one side, so if I just let it be it would look very lopsided eventually.

The thing that is helping me most towards a less blunt hemline is diligent S&D. As your hair gets longer there are bound to be some splits, bent ends, white dots etc., so if you are not too picky about what you snip off you will help your hair to fairytale.
S&D will likely help indeed! Previously I had just too many splits to do S&D ( I practically had to snip every single tip), and now there are almost none. I will definitely S&D once I start developing splits again.

thnx :flowers:

Xandergrammy
July 21st, 2009, 05:26 AM
Growing out from a pixie sort of resembles growing from a layered style, only shorter... I really like the way your hair naturally tapers, it looks so much more natural than a thick full hem, especially on your (and mine) hairtype!

Thank you!! Yes, hair like mine (ours) does not do well with a thick hemline. Mine is definitely too poufy for that!!

embee
July 21st, 2009, 05:26 AM
How do you like to wear your hair? If you like it down, keep your hemline trimmed. If you want it up, let it fairytale. At some point you may find that down is a pain, it's in everything, getting damaged and caught. Then you know you are going to change.

Layers are a fact of life. Either we put them in or the hairs grow at their own speed and time - all differently.

It may be that you will need "artificial" fairytale ends because term is knee length or some such, way longer than you wish.

Niphredil
July 21st, 2009, 07:59 AM
Thank you!! Yes, hair like mine (ours) does not do well with a thick hemline. Mine is definitely too poufy for that!!

Yep, poufy is exactly what I get if I trim it blunt, and I really don't like that!

How do you like to wear your hair? If you like it down, keep your hemline trimmed. If you want it up, let it fairytale. At some point you may find that down is a pain, it's in everything, getting damaged and caught. Then you know you are going to change.

Layers are a fact of life. Either we put them in or the hairs grow at their own speed and time - all differently.

It may be that you will need "artificial" fairytale ends because term is knee length or some such, way longer than you wish.

I like to wear my hair both ways, depending on the occasion. Right now it is up at least 50% of the time, even more now that I entered the updo-challenge until my evaluation point (Jan 2010). I have not really thought about my terminal length being longer than fingertip.... I'm not sure whether I want it even longer than that. I guess I have to relay on artificial fairytales if I don't like it longer. Only time will tell.

lora410
July 21st, 2009, 08:22 AM
I haven't fairytailed yet all that much and I haven't trimmed in awhile. I think it happens at a different length for everytone, although I don't want fairytale ends.

hellkitty
July 21st, 2009, 12:11 PM
Mine grew in in fairytale, pretty much, because I went cold-turkey from cutting at about a pixie. But a year and a half ago my mother lopped off probably about 7 inches (man, I'd be near knee length now if she hadn't!!) to a straight blunt. It still, 18 months later, has that nice straight across hemline. It'll fairytale again, I'm sure.

HK