PDA

View Full Version : Blunt ends harder to tuck?

redemption_song
July 17th, 2009, 10:44 PM
I've been trying to experiment with hair styles other than a bun or braid but when I try a French twist, my ends seem too think to tuck if that makes sense. My hair is almost waist length so I feel like I should be able to do a French twist without ends popping out everywhere. I'm getting so tired of a plain old bun.

Roseate
July 17th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Your hair may be too long for a standard French Twist- the classic works best on hair shorter than BSL, particularly with thick hair. Hypnotica has an article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=116) about several French twist variations for longer/thicker hair, you might give one of those a try.

Amara
July 17th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Besides the length problem (I could no longer do french twists by waist length) your blunt ends will definitely be harder to tuck into any style. Not impossible - obviously - there are a ton of blunt ended people around here who do all kinds of hairstyles. But from my own personal experience of a totally straight, blunt hemline, and now having not trimmed for the better part of the year and having some variation in the last inch or so of my hair... it's WAY easier now to get all those ends into updo style I do, period.

redemption_song
July 17th, 2009, 11:01 PM
I've been doing something similar to the french twist bun and the ends are just giving me problems. I really like the blunt hemline on myself, but finding an updo that will works has been a challenge so far. I feel like I'm almost in limbo- my hair is too long for some styles and too short for others that require a lot of wrapping. It has been over 110 here lately and I just can't stand to wear it down for very long.

Ndnlady
July 17th, 2009, 11:31 PM
I know what you mean! Ever since I cut all of my fairytale ends off it is very hard to get my hair into all the updos I was able to do and have them stay up!:(

Deborah
July 18th, 2009, 02:09 PM
I think it has a lot to do with how straight one's hair is. Mine is straight, and the ends will fight me sometimes, by wanting to pop out. In college, when I still used rollers in my hair, my roommates always laughed because I had a hard time getting my ends to go around the rollers, as my hair would just not bend, especially after a cut.

Your hair appears to be straight, so it doesn't surprise me that you have this problem too. I think wavies and curlies have a little easier time with this. :)

CindyLea1
July 18th, 2009, 02:36 PM
:rant:I agree, my blunt ends poke out in styles that my fairlytailed ends did not.:rant:

I have found that if I can keep them damp, or hit them with the spray bottle of water right before I get to the tucking them in part; they usually behave.:rolleyes:

nowxisxforever
July 18th, 2009, 04:22 PM
I've been doing something similar to the french twist bun and the ends are just giving me problems. I really like the blunt hemline on myself, but finding an updo that will works has been a challenge so far. I feel like I'm almost in limbo- my hair is too long for some styles and too short for others that require a lot of wrapping. It has been over 110 here lately and I just can't stand to wear it down for very long.

That definitely happens with blunt ends... perhaps try doing multi-step do's? do a half-up with the top part of your hair, and then make a braid with the bottom half and wrap it around the top bun.

embee
July 18th, 2009, 04:31 PM
When I did my blunt cut in 2005 I suddenly found none of my updo styles worked any longer - my ends poked out like paint brush bristles. It was wonderful when the fairytale ends finally appeared again at last.

No intention of blunt cuts in my future!

Ursula
July 18th, 2009, 04:45 PM
While I can't do french twists (hair is too long/thick) I have the opposite problem with my ends. I normally keep my ends blunt, and have no problem dealing with them. Twist and wrap hair until I get to the end, then tuck it under. But if I don't trim for a while, and get more taper, I find it becomes much harder to manage the ends, as they seem to get uneven and with sticking-out bits long before the end is ready to get tucked in.

It's a matter of what you are used to, I suppose.

Kiraela
July 19th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Oh, yes. Blunt ends were a pain in the butt! they looked decent-ish in braids, but refused to tuck under in any sort of updo. Even a gentle U was more difficult than the V I've got now.

Carolyn
July 19th, 2009, 08:37 PM
My skinny minny thin ends would definitely work around a bun better. They kind of "tied" themselves around the base of the bun. Now that I'm back to nice thick blunt ends I have a harder time ending off a bun. I think there are trade offs in many things and this is one of them. I love my blunt ends when I wear my hair down and I like the way they work in my braid tassel. I'd rather have the blunt ends and I can work on the bun endings. Yep. Trade offs :D

redemption_song
July 19th, 2009, 10:40 PM
I really can't see myself being happy with a different hemline for myself so I guess I will just have to deal. I did a half up crown knot and wrapped the bottom half around it and pinned which worked ok, but still not ideal. I'd lvoe to be able to wear it down more but it is just not practical right now. I wear my baby on my back daily and I get my hair pulled if it isn't up and out of his reach. I have a few flexi-8's hopefully they will work well.

Jessikinz
July 20th, 2009, 12:00 AM
A couple months ago I got a blunt hemline, and I know what you mean about the ends not staying tucked in. It really frustrates me. What's working for me at the moment is just wetting the ends a little bit or put a little bit of oil, and they manage to stay tucked in very well.

Flynn
July 20th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Yeah, probably. I often get a "fan" of ends around half my bun, but I do tend to encourage it to do this... (I have a very gentle U-hemline... so shallow that it's practically blunt...)

flapjack
July 20th, 2009, 12:58 AM
I agree that it's a trade-off. Blunt ends look amazing in braids, but they're a hassle for updos/buns.

I have the same problem. Just keep tucking them in. What I do sometimes, is the last layer of hair before I reach the ends... I loosen it up a tiny bit so that I can take the ends and really stuff them between the last layer of hair and the second to last layer of hair with my fingers. Then, I take my hairstick and move it up over the hair in that spot and then downward towards my head again, so that the hairs are pressed in tighter right there. That helps a bit.

ilovelonghair
July 20th, 2009, 02:57 AM
I need my fairy tale ends for buns! I can't do a french twist because I don't have a clip that would fit. Funny thing is: I learned to do the french twist in a different way. Starting at the top of your head and twisting downwards. But I have so much leftover hair I got to fold it 3 times inside it and it just gets too lumpy for a clip.