PDA

View Full Version : S & D results in less shedding?

HeatherJenae
July 17th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Has anybody experienced this? I am a crazy constantly carrying scissors split end trimmer (of course I'm talking tiny millimeters!) and ever since I started doing that, I've had WAY less shedding. I'm not versed in hair chemistry or anything so I'm not sure if it's even possible there's a connection. All I know is that before I started doing it, I would finish my shower and there would be about 15 hairs stuck to the tile wall (you know you do it too! where else are they gonna go? :p) and now I have 1-2. Any ideas?

Raederle
July 17th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Hmmm, well, to the extent that trimming a split keeps it from latching onto other hairs and pulling them out or knotting to them, I guess it makes sense that S&D could result in fewer sheds.

But is it also possible that you are dealing with sheds as you S&D? Know what I mean? As you are working your way through your hair doing the S&D, you may be releasing sheds without realizing it.

Amara
July 17th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Raederle's two possibilities are probably it. I don't see how there could be any actual connection between S&Ding and your follicles.

Wicked Princess
July 18th, 2009, 01:50 AM
Hahaha....the thing about your hair shedding in the shower and being stuck to the wall...I do that too. I admit it.

I think Randerle has two excellent theories about what could be contributing to your hair shedding less.

May I also suggest, however, that because you started doing S&D as part of taking better care of your hair...that you're shedding less because of your hair and scalp being in overall better condition?

Heidi_234
July 18th, 2009, 04:01 AM
Maybe less split ends makes less hairs tangle and stay in your hair - therefore you see less hairs as more of them secretly slide out. Also, maybe you touching your hair alot when you look for split ends pull out shed hair, so later on, when you comb or shower, less of it comes out?

myotislucifugus
July 18th, 2009, 09:34 AM
This is interesting... I find that after a trim, I don't shed nearly as much. My DBF claims that the more he trims off, the less he sheds, and that seems to be the case. For me, the effect lasts for days. And yet... there is no biological reason for this whatsoever.

ericthegreat
July 18th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Perhaps frequent S&Ding keeps your hair strands separate and less likely to tangle up with each other into little clumps. Since I'm a proud non-trimmer and I'm shooting for terminal, I shed tons of hairs sometimes several strands that are twisted around each other. There is no way that trimming would in actuality effect your shed rate, as we all know our hair is dead protein and our follicles really have no connection to the ends of our hair. But if you're a frequent S&Der your ends would tangle much less and when you shed you shed individual hairs, not clumps of hair like I do. So its really an illusion, you are seeing what appears to be less of your hair shedding but you're really shedding the same amount.