PDA

View Full Version : Sharing my progress....from 8/16/08 to today :)

bluemoon1891
July 17th, 2009, 03:23 PM
I started growing my hair last summer on August 16th, 2008. I had just gotten it heavily layered (biggest mistake ever!), with the longest layer being around APL (sorry for lack of a better pic...I was still a n00b at pic taking back then lol).
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/virginvictim/81608-1.png

Hair was ridden with 'cones, chemical dyes...all that stuff I've ditched since then, thanks to the advice given here. As you can tell, those things made my hair flat and greasy looking all the time. :mad:

Today, July 17th 09.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/virginvictim/july1709.png

It's been stalled at this length (around elbow) for quite some time, a couple of months even...
I hope to reach waist soon. Anyway, this is by far the healthiest my hair has ever been, as well as the longest it's been in years. I want to thank everyone for their advice and words of encouragement! I love this community. :)

Coriander
July 17th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Your hair sure looks much longer and it's so beautiful! :)

Amara
July 17th, 2009, 03:44 PM
What good growth for your previouly damaged hair! Lookin' good!!

Vrushali
July 17th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Your hair definitely looks better! congrats!:)

ImperfectBrat
July 17th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Great hair and progress !

Whatever helped you get that, I want some :D

tommiefromva
July 17th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Looks great and long for only a year. I like it.

redneckprincess
July 17th, 2009, 04:27 PM
I swear I already left a comment here but I dont see it now, did someone delete it?
anyways thats fantastic growth your hair is so pretty and shiny and looks so much thicker

bluemoon1891
July 17th, 2009, 04:58 PM
thanks everyone! :)

Great hair and progress !

Whatever helped you get that, I want some :D

I would say ditching cones has made the biggest difference in my hair. :) The thickness has increased due to that alone. I also did not cut/trim at all since I started, aside from bangs.

hennaphile
July 17th, 2009, 06:20 PM
That's a very significant transformation, congrats ! :D

SeaShell
July 17th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Thats amazing growth in such short time and it looks in so much better condition, congrats :flower:

camirra555
July 17th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Awesome growth! You're doing so well, keep doing whatever it is you're doing cause it works!

ericthegreat
July 17th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Holy f***!

I'm a fellow Chinese American and even I don't have this impressive a growth rate! To go from barely APL with thin, scraggly ends to nearly waist length(trust me you're a LOT closer to waist) in just one year is unbelievably fast, most people need at least two to three years to get to the same length you achieved from APL. Keep on going conefree and natural, its clearly as you can see yourself giving you awesome results.

bluemoon1891
July 17th, 2009, 08:56 PM
thanks again everyone :)

Holy f***!

I'm a fellow Chinese American and even I don't have this impressive a growth rate! To go from barely APL with thin, scraggly ends to nearly waist length(trust me you're a LOT closer to waist) in just one year is unbelievably fast, most people need at least two to three years to get to the same length you achieved from APL. Keep on going conefree and natural, its clearly as you can see yourself giving you awesome results.

:p I, too, will admit that I'm pretty shocked at how fast it grew. I still can't figure out how it happened.

Genes? Protein heavy diet? Biotin for a few months (though I admit this broke me out horribly so I had to stop)? Just a random growth spurt?

I really have no idea! Though I think my hair is taking its break now after going nuts with the growth.

ericthegreat
July 17th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Ok now I have to state this as a general fact. Asians really do have an incredibly fast growth rate. It might be genetic, and it definitely has to do with our diet(if we eat according to how our parents and grandparents eat). I eat all organic veggies like broccoli, cauliflower and bok choy, lots of fish, lean chicken breasts and eggs. I myself have a very fast growth rate, though not quite as fast as yours yufei. I was barely waist length last year, now I'm at butt length.

bluemoon1891
July 17th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Yeah...traditionally, a lot of Asians tend to eat protein-high diets, I was definitely raised on one :)

It seems that less and less of them are keeping their natural hair though.

I live in a very Asian-oriented part of NYC and it seems really in right now for everyone to bleach/perm the crap out of their hair.

I have a friend from Hong Kong who moved here to work as a hair stylist...and you know what his advice to me was? "You should damage your hair more!! It will give it more volume!!". I nearly collapsed when I heard that. I wanted to kill him, lol...He's the one who layered the crap out of my hair in the first pic. Never again. :mad:

bluemoon1891
July 17th, 2009, 09:47 PM
oh, and I hope I can achieve butt length as fast as you did, Eric :D

ericthegreat
July 17th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Oh yeah. Its such a shame because naturally we are already born with pin straight, shiny black hair that so many curly people would commit mass murder to get. Actually, my 16 yr old cousin has even thicker hair than I do and guess what she did? She went to Chinatown to get it thinned out! She was at almost waist length before the cut, now because of the layering and thinning out she's at BSL with lots of short layery pieces. She regrets doing it, she thought it would be so cool to copy what she sees every other Chinese celebrity is doing to their hair. Now she can't wait to grow her hair out again and she's swearing by only blunt trims from now on.

DarkChocolate
July 17th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Amazing growth! I can really see a difference:) Your bangs are so cute:)

simply_me
July 17th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Wow. Just wow. Your hair looks amazing and healthy. The amount of growth...is just...Wow!

Rentlle
July 18th, 2009, 05:39 AM
oh, it grew so much!! :D

MimiKeki
July 18th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Wow, you've come a long long way in one year. Your hair looks so much thicker, and has more shape to it. Your before hair reminds me of the way mine is/was. Damn layers can really ruin things sometimes.
Your hair looks great, keep going chick :)

Niphredil
July 18th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Wow, you sure had a good growth over the year ! Your hair looks much nicer too this way!
Keep it up !

bluemoon1891
July 18th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Thank you for your responses everyone. I'm so glad I found this community. :)

she thought it would be so cool to copy what she sees every other Chinese celebrity is doing to their hair. Now she can't wait to grow her hair out again and she's swearing by only blunt trims from now on.

Yep :rolleyes: These layers I have are a result of what my hairstylist friend thought was "in" with JRock celebrities. I never styled it with product, but when I did so, it was supposed to give me a very edgy, punk look (NOT me at all!).

Amazing growth! I can really see a difference:) Your bangs are so cute:)

Thank you! Though they have grown out now. :) I miss them.

LittleOrca
July 18th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Congrats! That is a lot of progress. Your hair is looking great. :flower:

RavennaNight
July 18th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Great progress! Are you sure you are stalled? It seems too soon to tell. You've been growing almost one year from the first pic to the second. Have you been trimming off damaged ends at all?I don't think you could be stalled:). Looks beautiful!:flower:

GlennaGirl
July 18th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Wow. How beautiful. Your hair grows VERY fast.

jojo
July 18th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Now thats what I call progress, your hair looks 100% better and look at how much its grown, in a relatively short period, way to grow girl!