PDA

View Full Version : Odd Question??

stacey76
July 17th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Hi everyone,

I got a strange question asked of me today at work. This was from a new employee who started about a week ago. Seems like an ok person but since the question was asked I have been thinking about it. I thought I would ask it here to see what your answers to this question would be.

The co-worker was admiring my hair (which is to waist now). She said nothing but good things so thats not the problem. Her question was. "I bet you even have a long haired dog at home??"

I laughed cause the funny thing is I DO!! I have a Lhasa Apso that I do my best to keep it in a show coat length. So my question to you fellow long hairs is...Do you have a long haired dog at home?? Is it cause you have long hair too??

Odd I know. But can't seem to get that question off my mind. I mean where the heck did this question come from. And why does it matter if I did or didn't have a long haired pet :)

Thoughts?

Stacey

Sheltie_Momma
July 17th, 2009, 01:41 PM
LOL, funny question. I do have a long haired dog - a Sheltie, there's a picture of her in my album. I had her before I had long hair though. I could see some conection, a person who really hated shed hair would probably not have long haired pets or have long hair themselves.

Madame J
July 17th, 2009, 01:47 PM
I have a beagle and shed almost as much as he does. I think we can add that comment to the "Dumb assumptions people make about long-haired people" collection.

myotislucifugus
July 17th, 2009, 02:00 PM
There is a theory that people pick animal breeds based on qualities that they recognize in themselves. I don't think it's intentional, it's just that the brain makes automatic decisions based on familiarity. Maybe they were thinking this. Think disney movies, the way in 101 dalmations (the animated one) the dogs look like their owners. That's probably what he/she was thinking

stacey76
July 17th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Yes it's was sorta dumb indeed

Dientje
July 17th, 2009, 02:03 PM
No, my dog has a short coat, he's a mix, you can see the pics in my album. But I've heard more often that people tend to pick out a dog that is somehow similar to them, that could be in appearance but in behaviour as well...

stacey76
July 17th, 2009, 02:06 PM
I wont lie I can see what you mean about picking pets based on personalities. I fell in love with my dog after seeing it at local pet store. The fuzzy-ness of the handful of joy did play a part :)

Now she is a much larger ball of hair but I love her even more. So cute!!

Stacey

demitasse
July 17th, 2009, 02:10 PM
My boyfriend and I have two Newfoundlands. Never really considered the irony of having two dogs with that much hair. :)

rogue_psyche
July 17th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Three of my four cats are longhairs. However, I have not "picked" a single cat in my life. They pick me.

stacey76
July 17th, 2009, 02:23 PM
hmm makes you wonder if the oppisite has happened here. Did they "Pick" you cause of your long hair hahahaha.

Stacey

terriej
July 17th, 2009, 02:24 PM
I don't have a dog, but my cat has long hair.

The person was probably just making small talk, some people do look like their pets.

SeaShell
July 17th, 2009, 02:46 PM
I do have 2 long haired dogs, I used to have 2 long haired cats; short haired animals have never appealed to me...I think it IS because I've always preferred long hair on myself actually! I'd never really thought about this until now!

Amara
July 17th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Nope, my dogs have short hair, my cats have short hair (well one's more mediumish... she's a mix) and my rats have short hair! ;D

nowxisxforever
July 17th, 2009, 02:51 PM
I don't have any pets, nope.

I do have a long haired boyfriend though?

Isa-belle
July 17th, 2009, 03:11 PM
This comment was hilarious! If slightly disturbing and weird, granted.

I have a long-haired, very fluffy kitty. People who know me well (family and very close friends) joke about the amount of hair(s) we both tend to accumulate around our home.
This was pure chance though. Like for rogue_psyche, she picked me.

mellie
July 17th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Haha, that is a funny comment. Makes me think of this comparison between Dave Mustaine's gorgeous hair and a cocker spaniel:

http://totallylookslike.com/2009/06/29/dave-mustaine-totally-looks-like-a-cocker-spaniel/

stacey76
July 17th, 2009, 03:49 PM
WOW that is very funny!!!

ButterCup02
July 17th, 2009, 04:01 PM
LOL Too funny! I have never really thought about that before...I do have a long haired dog (Bichon Frise/Shih tzu mix) but we keep her shaved! LOL!!

I will say that I do keep my horse's mane long and natural instead of pulled and cut :o I like it better that way. I'm trying to grow his tail out again, it is fairly long but not floor dragging anymore since I quit braiding it. I'm going to start keeping it up again.

stacey76
July 17th, 2009, 04:08 PM
I shaved my Lhasa ONCE!! I didnt it myself. It was a nightmare!! She was well behaved but it was just very very time consuming. And it does cost plenty to bring to her to local groomer here in NY. I also made a pat with myself that if I can comb my hair and maintain my hair the way I do, I certainly can do it on her too. Besides that's how the breed is suppose to look unshaven :)

I love horses with long mane and tails. Again its one of those ironic things too I guess.

Stacey

longhairedfairy
July 17th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Well, we had a Pekingese until this year (passed of old age - over 18) and we didn't keep her hair very long, except her tail. It gets too hot here in the summertime, so we had most of her fur short at that time of year.

stacey76
July 17th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Sorry to hear that longhairedfairy. Losing a pet is a hard thing to do. Did you have another dog during this time or other pet? Its tough to replace one.

Why do you suppose when a dog or cat passes people mourn it like a person. Where as if a fish is floating on the top of the tank we flush them and just get a new on like it meant nothing.

More food for thought :)

Stacey

tommiefromva
July 17th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Our dog was a shepard but he died from some contaminated Old Roy when they had the dog food recall. A few days later a stray cat moved in and we named him Harry. If that could mean anything. "Harry":D

Euphony
July 17th, 2009, 04:15 PM
I've always found dogs and cats with long hair more aesthetically pleasing to me. We have 3 cats, none of which were really picked out. Merlin is the oldest at 9 and he has the longest hair, he was a kitten in the paper my son wanted. We went to look at the litter of kittens the people had, they had one left - and extremely cute, tiny one that was the runt of the litter. He's huge and beautiful now with very thick long fur.

Morgana was my brother's cat, he did pick her from the litter - she has medium length fur. When my brother passed away we inherited her.

Nemua wandered onto our deck one night and never went back home, she is a short haired calico that is cuter than cute can be.

stacey76
July 17th, 2009, 04:18 PM
I think I am finding there are more cat people here than dog people :)

also find that this question may not be as odd as I once thought it to be ha ha ha

Stacey

Arielle8960
July 17th, 2009, 04:21 PM
We have two long-haired cats and a short-haired cat that picked us (long hair envy maybe?).

Feline
July 17th, 2009, 04:49 PM
OK, yeah, maybe an odd question, but maybe she couldn't think of anything else to say, and that's just what tumbled out of her mouth? Some people are like that :?.

We have seven cats, and only one is a long-hair. I can't say that we chose him, because he was born to one of our other cats, the only long-hair in the litter. No idea how he got that way; his father is an orange tabby shorthair, his mother a grey and white shorthair, his 3 brothers black and white shorthairs, and Fuzzball is a black and white longhair. Go figure :confused:. (We also have an unrelated grey shorthair, probably a Korat, but since she came from a shelter, we don't know for certain.)

Bene
July 17th, 2009, 04:55 PM
I have a long haired chihuahua, but I keep his hair relatively short since he's so close to the ground :D

Oddly enough, I adopted him before I decided to grow my hair long, so his hair length is totally a coincidence.

cuddledumplin
July 17th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Well, there's a theory that pets and their owners tend to look alike. I have a long haired cat, so there may be some logic to it.

stacey76
July 17th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Could have been her just making small chat. I guess I was just taken back by it. It was out of the blue.

Nice selections of putty cats

Stacey

ButterCup02
July 17th, 2009, 05:00 PM
I shaved my Lhasa ONCE!! I didnt it myself. It was a nightmare!! She was well behaved but it was just very very time consuming. And it does cost plenty to bring to her to local groomer here in NY. I also made a pat with myself that if I can comb my hair and maintain my hair the way I do, I certainly can do it on her too. Besides that's how the breed is suppose to look unshaven :)

I love horses with long mane and tails. Again its one of those ironic things too I guess.

Stacey

LOL Since mine's a mix there's not any standard to how her hair is supposed to be :) She is happier with her short hair in the summer. We do let it get longer in the winter but the hair around her face gets ridiculous, she can't see, her eyes water, her ears itch....so we keep that trimmed up nicely.

I love horses with long manes and tails too :) I have a friend who is very very into her horse's mane and tail care LOL She's a pro barrel racer, and all her horses run with braids in their manes and tails! LOL! Braid waves look very nice on manes and tails too!

Bene
July 17th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Well, there's a theory that pets and their owners tend to look alike. I have a long haired cat, so there may be some logic to it.

Duuuuuuude... I have the cutest dog ever. I'd totally love to look like him :D

stacey76
July 17th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Me too. I wish I had the hair my dog has!!

longhairedfairy
July 17th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Sorry to hear that longhairedfairy. Losing a pet is a hard thing to do. Did you have another dog during this time or other pet? Its tough to replace one.

Why do you suppose when a dog or cat passes people mourn it like a person. Where as if a fish is floating on the top of the tank we flush them and just get a new on like it meant nothing.

More food for thought :)

Stacey
Thank you. It was her time and I was actually happy for her because she was too old and feeble to do anything anymore. That wouldn't be fun. That's not a life. ETA: And we could tell that she got very bored because she couldn't play anymore.
I'm a hedgehog person, myself.
A better question might be why wouldn't we mourn them as much as any other creature?
I wouldn't flush a fish.:confused:

ETA: As cute as quills are on hedgies, they don't grow all that long and I think it would be kind of strange to have them on my head.:)

Bene
July 17th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Me too. I wish I had the hair my dog has!!

I've gone as far as to actually hair type my dog. He's a 1A-1B with very fine strands! I wouldn't mind having his hair. He's totally a wash and go hair type, and he doesn't get frizzy hair :D

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/bene25/benny/th_benny7.jpg (http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/bene25/benny/benny7.jpg)

stacey76
July 17th, 2009, 05:17 PM
awww he is so cute!!!!!! I wish I could post a pic of my girl!!

LadyEliza
July 17th, 2009, 05:28 PM
I don't think it's a dumb question, and I'm a little upset that people here are so quick to use the "dumb question" label.

The person is new, probably uncertain as anyone is in a new situation, and is appearently a nice person. She asked a question, meaning to be humourous. A question with a laugh after it.

And as she was right, it makes the "joke" even funnier!!!

Pets looking like their owners is an old joke, remember Dr evil and his bald cat?

And yes, I have a long haired dog, and I have curly haired cats - although one of them is totally bald. But I'm not trying to take over the world. (if I could just get on top of the housework, I MIGHT take over the house...

stacey76
July 17th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Well I certainly didnt mean it to be "Dumb" but it sure wasnt expected. So I take that back sorry for the wrong words.

What kind of long haired dog or cats??

longhairedfairy
July 17th, 2009, 05:34 PM
I don't think it's a dumb question, and I'm a little upset that people here are so quick to use the "dumb question" label.
That's a bit of a blanket statement. I only noticed one post in which anyone called it a "dumb" question. I didn't think it was.

longhairedfairy
July 17th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Well I certainly didnt mean it to be "Dumb" but it sure wasnt expected. So I take that back sorry for the wrong words.

What kind of long haired dog or cats??
Whoops, we co-posted.:lol:

julya
July 17th, 2009, 05:43 PM
We have long haired dogs, maltese, but I keep their fur cut short. Very short, actually about an inch long or less.

maryann
July 17th, 2009, 05:48 PM
I have cats, and they both have short hair. They were born strays and kind of happened into my life, but *if* I made a point of selecting a pet for myself I actually would pick one with long hair -- whether cat or dog, just because I *prefer* long hair. Funny question, though, and it never would have crossed my mind to connect the idea of long haired person/long haired pet.

stacey76
July 17th, 2009, 06:14 PM
See now a maltese is a beautiful dog when kept long. I was thinking about one when I moved into my bigger apartment. Between my lhasa and I there is not enough room. But soon!! I would keep it long too not short :)

Stacey

ilovelonghair
July 17th, 2009, 07:48 PM
I used to have 2 long haired cats (they passed away) and a long haired dog (was my ex's dog), so it did apply a tiny bit to me :D. I have now one short haired cat and one long haired cat, that is coincidence, they're sisters, but got different coats.

Hay22
July 17th, 2009, 07:48 PM
What a strange question! I do have 2 long-haired dogs - one is an American Eskimo whose hair I keep long because it's easy, and the other is a lhasa mix with crazy hair that I have to keep short. However, one "picked me" at a shelter, the other I found in the middle of the highway one night, and I was a short-haired kid at the time, so I don't think that really counts.

The poster who mentioned the scene in 101 Dalmatians is right, though. I'm tallish (5'9") and very thin and most of my pets growing up were whippets, dobermans, and sleek cats. :p

alligatorbaby23
July 17th, 2009, 08:13 PM
The dog who lives with me has short hair. So did my ex fiancee, it was his dog, but he wouldn't have been able to devote the time to him. Alas, he is with me. BUT, I do alot of walking with him, so we both have nice shapely legs,his nickname is Legs. I sure hope I don't resemble him too much physically. He's half Shar pei. While wrinkles on him are endearing, on a 28 yr old woman, that's another story!

stacey76
July 17th, 2009, 08:17 PM
I guess there are exceptions to looking like your dog in this case!! Very funny!!!

WritingPrincess
July 17th, 2009, 08:40 PM
I have a Havanese, with long hair that I don't keep dematted as well as I should. She looks like a live dust mop. :lol: I wonder where that question came from.

stacey76
July 17th, 2009, 08:46 PM
They are similar to my Lhasa. I make it a habit at night to give my lhasa a once over (most) nights when I unbraid my hair or comb out for the evening. quick 10 mins doesnt hurt.

rhubarbarin
July 17th, 2009, 08:55 PM
I think it's a silly question, but kind of funny she said that..

I myself have two long-haired dogs and I keep them both clipped down to 1/2". I loathe having long-haired animals, too much work to keep them clean and detangled.. plus the shedding drives me nuts (luckily only one of mine sheds, and not too much - but the short-haired dog and the cats make up for it). If my own hair was a lot of work I would probably cut it off too!

stacey76
July 17th, 2009, 09:02 PM
it's funny how most short haired dogs are the ones who shed the most..same with cats. My hypo-allergenic beauty love to sit pretty on the couch and mommy doesnt even yell :)

LittleOrca
July 17th, 2009, 11:55 PM
My first dog in my house is a dalmatian, so his hair is short. Two fo our three doxies are also short haired, but the one doxie that has attached herself to me does have long hair, and just about my shade. We are one of those "Owners that looks like their pet" cases. :rolleyes:

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff176/Little_Orca/The%20Fur%20Babies/MollyandMelissa.jpg

Rivanariko
July 18th, 2009, 12:06 AM
I don't have a dog :( YET! But when I am finally living somewhere that I can have one, I'd prefer a short-haired one. Shedding doesn't bother me, but I don't have the time to care for the coat. I spend enough time caring for my own hair, lol. If I decide I don't want to deal with my hair, though, I can just put it up and forget it. You can't really put a dog's hair in an updo... so you have to maintain it no matter what.
I also keep my horses' manes pulled short for easier braiding at shows, but I do take care of their tails and try to grow them nice and full.

Rentlle
July 18th, 2009, 07:21 AM
hihi, i have a dog with long hair :D
and love dogs with long hair the most :p

neon-dream
July 18th, 2009, 07:53 AM
I've always wanted an Afghan hound, which have very long hair, but the only dog I ever owned was a Great Dane, which I suspect my parents picked because it is tall, like them and their kids :D

Marika
July 18th, 2009, 08:29 AM
I have a dog (in avatar) with short hair. My former dog was a pekingese which is a long haired breed and I absolutely wanted my new dog to have short hair because it was hard to handle all those tangles and dirt in spring/fall/winter.

I have noticed it too: long haired pekingese did shed very little but my beloved pug sheds like crazy! And it doesn't help that 90 % of all my clothes are black...:rolleyes: I really should've thought this through and gotten a black pug (I've also heard that they don't shed as much)!:D Well, maybe my boy gets a black little brother in the future!:pray:

AmyJorgensen
July 18th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Heehee, your coworker must think you are hair obsessed and of course you would only want a long haired dog. ;)

longhairedfairy
July 18th, 2009, 11:48 AM
it's funny how most short haired dogs are the ones who shed the most..same with cats. My hypo-allergenic beauty love to sit pretty on the couch and mommy doesnt even yell :)
Hedgehogs are hypoallergenic!:D (Some people do have a bit of a minor reaction to the quills, but bathing them before cuddling helps. If you're already having a skin reaction then wiping your skin with some witch hazel helps.)

stacey76
July 18th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Afhgan Hounds are beautiful!!! The breeder that bred my lhasa also bred Afhgans. Even though I bought my little lady from a pet store, I was able to contact the breeder. In any case if I had the room for an afghan hound. I think I would get that over the Maltese I want.

Stacey

FallenAngel
July 18th, 2009, 01:11 PM
I had 2 "male" Berger de Brié. I shaved both of them because I work with my dogs and the fur is only causing problems in the forest.

Both of them really liked to be shaved in the spring! :D Happy, frisky dogs who didn't have to pick branches and stuff our of their fur after every activity. They could also SEE without fur (nope, braids or elastics wouldn't help) in their eyes the whole time.

After that I got myself a borde collie, who did not have to bathe, comb, cut, shave or anything. She was just... perfect as she was. And her white fur was WHITE, no matther what **** she had been rolling in... (sheep, elk, clay... you name it) She was all natural! And all perfect, "fur-wise".

stacey76
July 19th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Yeah I guess that is one of the advantages I have with my lhasa being in full coat. I live in NYC and don't have any forests around :)

ColoradoDreamer
July 19th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Not a long-haired dog but a long-haired CAT! At one time, we had three long-hairs in our home when I had my hair at its longest.

I guess I've gotten used to not being fully dressed without a little long cat hair on my clothes.

Xandergrammy
July 19th, 2009, 05:45 PM
We have 2 short hair chihuahuas, so it doesn't apply to me. I agree that it was a strange question. Funny though. :grin:

Kiraela
July 19th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Nope, no dogs. I do resemble my cat Emma in one way, though. She's a Tortie (Black/orange mix) - I have dark brown almost black hair, with natural red highlights and almost-orange on the end of my hair, so we match colorwise, if not in fur-length.

ETA: Although DBF and I have already agreed that our next cat will be a Ragdoll, so... Maybe there's something to it.

wintersun99
July 19th, 2009, 08:15 PM

Cherry_Sprinkle
July 19th, 2009, 09:28 PM
I have 2 Yorkies & 1 Morkie (Yorkie/Maltese mix).. the Morkie is the only one who's hair is show length... but yeah I do... but I had them even when I had short hair.. :shrug: lol

Tressie
July 19th, 2009, 09:36 PM
I have a rescued medium coat lab-mix, a rough coat (very furry) chow-mix and a short-haired terrier mix who showed up last November! I have had long- haired cats too, though! I think I tend to gravitate toward pets with long hair. Imagine that! (o:

HairColoredHair
July 19th, 2009, 09:58 PM
I have a long haired cat and a I want a long haired dog... but I also have a short haired cat and want a short haired dog. :lol:

julya
July 22nd, 2009, 12:52 AM
See now a maltese is a beautiful dog when kept long. I was thinking about one when I moved into my bigger apartment. Between my lhasa and I there is not enough room. But soon!! I would keep it long too not short :)

Stacey

They look like puppies when you clip their fur short! Very cute! And I it's easier to keep the leaves and weeds out of their fur.

ZadenWillowfyre
July 22nd, 2009, 08:36 AM
LMAO! Fun question! I adore doggies. However, my little guy is a short haird pup. My dad has a malteese but they keep in coat short. I want a long haird douchound one day soon.