PDA

View Full Version : Protein VS. Moisture (Mild Confusion on My Part)

thankyousir74
July 17th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Well, one of the first things I did when I got on LHC was buy a big tub of coconut oil. It was great, my hair felt better than it ever did before. Granted, it still did not feel as soft as I would like it but I had thought it was just my hair type.

I had always read about protein, and decided that my hair never really needed it, as my hair never felt like Kirin's description in the article "Whats wrong with my hair? Hair Diagnostic Tips (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=44)".

But then not too long ago I read about other who were having that dry crunchy ends feeling with coconut oil. I had always thought it was just me. I don't remember the thread but someone mentioned protein overload and recommended an SMT. So I tried one too. My hair feels better, but the ends still leave a bit to be desired.

Would you guys recommend not using coconut oil anymore, or just not as often? (I oil it with coconut everyday) The reason that I think oil is the culprit, because not only does it moisturize but it also prevents protein loss, and I have a feeling that my hair may have more protein than it needs.... or does it just lack moisture? :confused:

The thing is every time I oil with coconut oil I feel as if the moisture and protein maybe counteracting each other.

Could someone please correct this fallacy and give me some good advice?

teela1978
July 17th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Oils don't exactly moisturize. They will seal in moisture, but like cones (cones are synthetic oils) they can also seal out moisture. If you're heavily oiling your ends daily, you might want to cut back. You also might try other oils to see if they work better. What is the rest of your routine? it's kinda hard to say too much without knowing what else you do.

thankyousir74
July 17th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Oils don't exactly moisturize. They will seal in moisture, but like cones (cones are synthetic oils) they can also seal out moisture. If you're heavily oiling your ends daily, you might want to cut back. You also might try other oils to see if they work better. What is the rest of your routine? it's kinda hard to say too much without knowing what else you do.

Wow reading that first sentence really brings me back to my days of LHC noobishness.

Oh, and silly me, here is my routine:

Well I'm cone free, but I S&C with a sodium laureth sulfate shampoo once a week. I heard that Laureth was the more gentle, and also I scalpwash mainly, and try my hardest not to get it on the length. The conditioner I use is V05 Free Me Freesia, the "moisturizing" conditioner in that line. Other than the weekly S&C, I CO one other time in the weekly span. (So it's a CO and a S&C per week) Other than that my hair is usually up, and I oil nightly with Coconut oil (all my length, ears down). Occasionally I apply Castor oil at the ends, but I'm not too sure how my hair likes it.

I also henna, but that's once a month or two.

I hope this helps :D

Kirin
July 17th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Check your V05 conditioner. The culprit I'll bet is if the conditioner (or shampoo) you are using contains Panthenol.

Panthenol is a B vitamin alcohol, and acts much like a silicone. Its the #1 reason that those on what they think is a "cone free" regimen feel as if their hair is still coated in cones. The Panthenol, acts like a sealant, not allowing other things to penetrate, and is very likely the reason for the "crunchy ends" when using coconut oil.

kdaniels8811
July 17th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Thank you for starting this thread, I am having the exact same issue! Will check conditioner (used for weekly SMT's) for pathenol. Really appreciate the info!