PDA

View Full Version : Why would a hair strand grow this way??

SimplyViki
July 17th, 2009, 06:57 AM
You know how sometimes you might find a random, really coarse, darker-than-usual hair on your head? The ones Dianyla calls "head pubes"? :p

Well, I just found a hair that's smooth on the bottom ten inches or so, but then for some reason, the follicle seems to have changed its mind and it started growing thick, dark and coarse.

It could be a result of my leftover hair dyes from years past.... but it seems weird that the dyed part would be smooth and shiny, but the unaltered part would be dark, coarse and wavy.

redneckprincess
July 17th, 2009, 07:46 AM
that is wierd...it could be from old dye, my son (Tater) sprouts some hairs that are thisk course and curly and others that are thin fine and straight and others that are every combination in between

Merewen
July 17th, 2009, 08:11 AM
I can't say I know why, but I get the same thing. I pull out a shed hair and it's fine and blond on one end and coarse and dark on the other. I found one the other day that was really flat - it felt like dental floss.

mira-chan
July 17th, 2009, 08:49 AM
It could be caused by hair responding to hormones weirdly. Or it could be that there was a mutation in that follicle due to damage from dyes, UV or just regular telomeric aging. If it's not permanent, as in the hair goes in and out of this state then it could also be a deficiency of some kind in a vitamin or mineral.

Tap Dancer
July 17th, 2009, 08:54 AM
I find them sometimes and I pull them out; they drive me crazy. I'd love to know why the hairs grow that way.

rhubarbarin
July 17th, 2009, 09:22 AM
I get the same quite a bit. I don't have dyed hair.

SimplyViki
July 17th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Hmm... mira-chan, you have me somewhat worried about a vitamin deficiency or something now. I'll have to monitor this strand for changes! *commences staring at the strand*

Eh... OK that wasn't that funny, I'm in a weird mood. But seriously. It's entirely possible I need some vitamin or something - my diet is not the greatest.

ilovelonghair
July 17th, 2009, 09:51 AM
I have them too, doesn't worry me. A friend of mine used to pull hers out and they would grow back in a vengence. After a while she had a patch of hair that was all kind of pubic hair like. I've heard that hairs tend to grow in back curly if you pull them out, so maybe that why that happend to her. After she stopped pulling them out eventually the hair changed back to normal.

SimplyViki
July 17th, 2009, 09:54 AM
I have them too, doesn't worry me. A friend of mine used to pull hers out and they would grow back in a vengence. After a while she had a patch of hair that was all kind of pubic hair like. I've heard that hairs tend to grow in back curly if you pull them out, so maybe that why that happend to her. After she stopped pulling them out eventually the hair changed back to normal.
Yeah, you know, I've thought that myself, because I seem to have a mild case of trichotillomania (I just pluck hairs out... can't seem to stop it) and I thought that the re-growth hairs were coming in dark and curly-ish, but then this hair showed up, with it's straight, smooth bottom ten inches! Really threw me off.

Heidi_234
July 17th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Huh for some reason I started thinking of people pulling out their hair instead of perming it :scared:

Katrina
July 17th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Yes, I have them too and I used to think that they are damaged. They are not, but they look and feel quite weird. It's almost like there are thin cables growing out of my head. They are not darker than the rest of my hair, though.

cockerspaniel9
July 17th, 2009, 12:16 PM
I´ll join;) I notice them especially when i´ve washed my hair.. It´s the new shorter hair that is acting wierd. They get all curly and I´m afraid they are increasing in number, but it might just be me:p

CherrySilver
July 17th, 2009, 02:02 PM
I just had this happen to me -- it was very strange. I noticed a a short, dark, very coarse hair (~3") on the table wondering where it came from. When I picked it up, it was about 18" inches long, except that the rest (bottom part) was light red. I was very freaked out by this -- the only thing I can attribute it to is that I was at an ayurvedic spa in May for about 2 weeks and continued to take the herbs since I got home. Strange...

ilovelonghair
July 18th, 2009, 11:34 PM
Huh for some reason I started thinking of people pulling out their hair instead of perming it :scared:

Haha. Welll I found it weird she was pulling them out, because I always wanted curly hair, so I thought she just naturally got that. But of course it's weird to have one patch of different hair. Apparently it became like that by pulling it out.
Maybe the hair follicles get irritated and produce different hairs? I've heard that people who had chemo also grow their hair back curly. My grandmother had that, she had curly hair before and kinky hair after.

RoseRedDead
July 19th, 2009, 11:17 AM
I have these too! They are (TMI!) exactly the texture and colour of the hair down there... ehem... They are so bizarre!

I'm glad I'm not alone!

rhubarbarin
July 19th, 2009, 02:27 PM
All my coarse hairs are like this to some degree (wiry-feeling, with kinks, and portions that are visibly flat). I get different textures on one hair a lot too. They grow mostly behind both ears but I get a few spread out over the rest of my head.

I doubt it has anything to do with vitamin deficiencies, personally. You hear the vitamin deficiency thing about a lot of normal/common things but people I know who have poor diets aren't more prone to them...

People are more prone to coarser, curlier hair as they age. A lot of women have big hair changes after menopause and I remember some members here posting about it.