PDA

View Full Version : I have finally conquered the French Braid.

Coriander
July 17th, 2009, 01:32 AM
After a billion years of totally snarling my hair and making a complete mess of it, I have accomplished the French Braid. I know it's kind of a weird thing to make a whole thread over, but I'm gleeful at my victory!

Don't give up if you can't figure something out - keep going at it until you get it! :D

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2409&pictureid=44871

Please pardon the wonky ends - my elastic was crooked :rolleyes:

Teazel
July 17th, 2009, 01:37 AM
Congratulations! It looks great. :applause

Quixii
July 17th, 2009, 01:49 AM
Wow! Impressive. I know it seems like a weird thing to be impressed by, but.. I dunno, I've never tried to do one, and I just can't imagine doing it on my own head. Which I guess sounds weird since I have no problem doing regular braids. :shrug:

Calista
July 17th, 2009, 01:54 AM
I´ve been able to French braid for as long as I can remember, but I couldn´t do a Dutch braid to save my life. Go figure... :lol:

Coriander
July 17th, 2009, 01:56 AM
I've been able to Dutch braid, but not to French braid. Something about weaving in instead of out tripped me up :D

Thanks everyone :grouphug:

SimplyLonghair
July 17th, 2009, 02:06 AM
Congrats! I know about it being harder to do a french braid than a dutch braid on yourself. I think it is an achievement! :happydance:
:rockerdud :thumbsup:

hennaphile
July 17th, 2009, 02:11 AM
:cheer: what a thick braid in a beautiful style!

Rentlle
July 17th, 2009, 03:40 AM
wow, it looks neat!! :D
and it's funny, today is the first day I properly managed myself to do a french braid :D

ericthegreat
July 17th, 2009, 04:29 AM
You did a great job at the French Braid! In the beginning its always the hardest, but the more and more you practice braiding the faster and neater you'll get at it. In time even the way you tie your elastic will be better so that it lines up perfectly with your braid!

AmyJorgensen
July 17th, 2009, 05:25 AM
Super congrats! I still can't braid a decent looking braid behind myself...only to the sides.

neon-dream
July 17th, 2009, 07:17 AM
Congratulations!
I can dutch braid way better than I can French braid, my french braids never stay tight at the bottom of my head :hmm:
It looks beautiful in your hair! :D

Savvyhorsez
July 17th, 2009, 07:26 AM
That's very pretty! Congrats!

amaiaisabella
July 17th, 2009, 07:27 AM
So pretty, Coriander! Congratulations! :)

SimplyViki
July 17th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Looks good! I can do a French braid, but I've never tried a Dutch braid before... it just seems intimidating to me.

Isa-belle
July 17th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Looking lovely! :applause
French braiding is a bit like biking: it looks hard at first, but once you've got the hang of it, you've got it forever :D

I've also been meaning to tell you for some time that I absolutely love your signature picture :thud: These Dutch braids are gloriously thick and shiny!

Zindell
July 17th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Congrats! Looks great!

I can only do a dutch braid. My fingers gets confuzzled when I try a french braid.
But I will keep practise.

Aditi
July 17th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Wow!!!! it looks Great :) i used to do that braid a lot when i was in school.

JamiG
July 17th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Looks great! I'll be glad when my layers can be evened up. When I braid mine, I have all these pieces sticking out.

Coriander
July 17th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Thanks everyone :D I was so very excited!!

Eric, usually my elastics don't look that awful :laugh: I didn't realize it at the time, I was just too excited to take a photo :D

Amara
July 17th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Congratulations! It looks great - and so shiny!

redneckprincess
July 17th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Congrats to you, it looks good too, I know Im pretty excited about just being able to plain old braid soon, lol

dearladydisdain
July 17th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Congrats! It looks great. I can do one on other people but not on myself. Grr.

julya
July 17th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Wow, nice braid! I am still french braid challenged myself, maybe someday I'll figure it out.

Elphie
July 17th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Dutch braids come easier to me for some reason, but I considered it an acomplishment to french braid, too! Good job!

Addy
July 17th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Congratulations! It looks marvelous!

I know how excited you are! I felt the same way when I first succeeded! I use to have to beg my sister for a french braid and she'd braid it so tight, I'd have problems seeing straight plus it looked awful compared to hers. :( I think she did it that way to pick on me. THEN, I said enough is enough, I finally learned it! :D

Fiferstone
July 17th, 2009, 08:13 PM
:cheese:Congratulations! Now cross the strands under one another while braiding (instead of over one another), and you'll have a Dutch braid:). I accidentally stumbled on the Dutch braid while trying to conquer the French braid. I'm a lefty and that may have had something to do with it.

rags
July 17th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Congratulations! I've been able to French braid since I was young, but can't do a Dutch to save my life!

Coriander
July 17th, 2009, 09:26 PM
:cheese:Congratulations! Now cross the strands under one another while braiding (instead of over one another), and you'll have a Dutch braid:). I accidentally stumbled on the Dutch braid while trying to conquer the French braid. I'm a lefty and that may have had something to do with it.

I'm a lefty as well :D

My siggy shows that I know what I'm doing as far as the Dutch braid goes... the the French braid was an enigma for quite some time :laugh:

MsBubbles
July 17th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Oh sure it warrants a whole thread! I'm looking on with envy...

RavennaNight
July 17th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Yay! That looks nice and neat and well done:)

Hairth&Home
July 17th, 2009, 11:48 PM
WooHoo!!!
Well done, Coriander!
Your hair is very lovely. :)
I remember the first time I could french braid my own hair.
It certainly is an accomplishment worthy of celebration!
:cheese::cheer::joy::applause:toast::hifive:

peachrose
July 17th, 2009, 11:49 PM
Your braid looks great! I am also learning some new braiding techniques, it can be tricky!

Rivanariko
July 17th, 2009, 11:55 PM
Congratulations!
It took me almost a year to learn the french braid, but it keeps my hair SO much better contained than a regular english braid did! I have yet to attempt the dutch braid... I'm not sure if my fingers are up to the coordination challenge of reversing!

But now I french braid my hair usually twice a day. Right before I got to bed at night, and then I re-braid it before I go to work (I have to wear a helmet, so updos don't work for me, and the french braid provides the perfect padding to make my helmet fit beautifully!)

ReddishRocks
July 18th, 2009, 12:03 AM
I'm totally envious. I can't braid to save my soul... I definitely need more practice!!!

Coriander
July 18th, 2009, 02:30 AM
:smooch: everyone.

I would always watch girls/women at school just flipping their hair right into a French braid, and sit there and watch helplessly. I've youtubed after youtubed and still couldn't get it.

Until last night where I was sitting on the couch watching "Jerry Maguire" and thought y'know, I'm gonna give it a shot again.