PDA

View Full Version : Confused about the world of hair

CurlyOne
April 12th, 2008, 08:59 AM
Okay, so I was looking around on MSN and stumbled across Oprah's Great American Haricut (or OhGAH for short :p). Now I started thinking about the thread by Eadwine, words that make you go eek! And then I came across 10 hair don'ts (trust me I have a point here :D)

The OhGAH was cutting long hair and putting extensions on short hair and changing absolutely everything. Then on the "10 hair don'ts" it said this:
Don’t fight it, go with the flow! Fighting with your hair leaves you and your hair looking tired! Celebrate the fact that your hair is unique.:confused: Am I the only one who thinks this is counter productive? So I am supposed to love my hair but to be happy I have to have a massive change?:lala: I am so lost!

The it says that age shouldn't hold back your hair style and then on the homepage there is a link to an article about picking the right hairstyle for your age!:( all I am getting out of this is, we have to tell you to like who you are but since you are insecure about that here is how you can look better. Apparently anyone in their 20's can have whatever they want, any other age group better have short hair, and women in their 50's "no longer have anything to prove, especially to anyone else":mad:

I just don't get it, rant over.

Lady Godiva
April 12th, 2008, 09:10 AM
I don't think it makes sense, either. Logic seems to be escaping them. It's a great age that we live in where the media promotes tolerance left and right, but in practice, few truly act on it. Sexism, ageism and super conformity still abound, and physical appearance remains all-important. Beauty promotions such as you describe say one thing, but really push another thing. It's hard to make money when people truly are comfortable with everything about themselves, so it's fine to talk the talk, but walking the walk too often would push away potential customers. It's quite a conundrum. When happiness comes from within, no one else can write up an invoice for it.

Lamb
April 12th, 2008, 09:18 AM
all I am getting out of this is,

... that apparently certain people on TV have incurable verbal incontinence. :bs: I don't even try to get the point, there isn't any.

mommy101405
April 12th, 2008, 09:24 AM
First off I despise Oprah, thats really beside the point, yes it is a total contradiction to have "makeover show" and chop one persons hair and put extensions on the next. I have always hated when they straighten curly hair. I have always wanted curls myself and it breaks my heart when all those beautiful ringlets are subjected to chemicals. Its a hair injustice :)

Marianne
April 12th, 2008, 11:02 AM
First off I despise Oprah, thats really beside the point, yes it is a total contradiction to have "makeover show" and chop one persons hair and put extensions on the next. I have always hated when they straighten curly hair. I have always wanted curls myself and it breaks my heart when all those beautiful ringlets are subjected to chemicals. Its a hair injustice :)

It annoys me how often they do this with curly hair, and how it is seen as something that needs "fixing".

Philomela
April 12th, 2008, 11:20 AM
My peetpeeve regards that deliberate downgrading of long-haired people at whom they hurl that expression about "hiding behind her/his hair." Most (if not all) makeovers have that caption attached to them that's in the format of something like "X came to us hiding behind her hair, [but now...]." Anyway, the trouble is that this whole rhetoric about "hiding" points to some moral characteristics of the targeted long-haired person (who's implicitly socially inadequate and morally blamable for the alleged "hiding").

purplebubba
April 12th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Think of it this way.
They are trying to come up with ways to rationalize their arguements and trying to sound like they know what they are talking about. And to many people they do.

But all I see is they are beating a dead horse :horse: and each time they change what they say it's just them switching the object to swing. But it doesn't change the fact that I know that horse is dead already. They will keep beating that horse as long as people are watching.

embee
April 12th, 2008, 11:31 AM
The goal is to sell hair service and hair products. Follow the money. You'll see. It has *nothing* to do with the individual customer, it's all advertising.

Gahhhh, I sound bitter! So tired of hearing what we "should" do to be acceptable.

Unofficial_Rose
April 12th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Sounds to me as though there are so many contradictory statements you can adopt a "Pick 'n mix" approach!

In which case I'll take "Don't fight it, go with the flow" and the one about age not holding back your hairstyle. Perfect! :p

Elenna
April 12th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Anyone read Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World?" This is where the mass media totally controls humans. It is about advertising versus great literature like Shakespeare's "The Tempest."

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb144/elenna_2007/tnwat-f-17.jpg

prosperina
April 12th, 2008, 03:15 PM
My peetpeeve regards that deliberate downgrading of long-haired people at whom they hurl that expression about "hiding behind her/his hair." Most (if not all) makeovers have that caption attached to them that's in the format of something like "X came to us hiding behind her hair, [but now...]." Anyway, the trouble is that this whole rhetoric about "hiding" points to some moral characteristics of the targeted long-haired person (who's implicitly socially inadequate and morally blamable for the alleged "hiding").

Good point! Now what would they do with longhairs who often wear their hair up in a bun or twist? (Like most of the people here). Hard to hide behind all your hair if it's in a cinnabun most of the time! Although this would assume that those that talk about longhairs as if they have a psychological defect are logical...they aren't. :shrug:

kate46
April 12th, 2008, 03:16 PM
The goal is to sell hair service and hair products. Follow the money. You'll see. It has *nothing* to do with the individual customer, it's all advertising.

Gahhhh, I sound bitter! So tired of hearing what we "should" do to be acceptable.

You are absolutely spot on right! Nothing more to be said!

Riot Crrl
April 12th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Not to mention, how many beautiful curls flatironed.

I would really like to see a month or two follow up of this, and how well the clients were able to keep up their new "style" on their own.

mommy2one05
April 12th, 2008, 03:51 PM
why must every makeover show on tv always do a hair cut and style. What is wrong with leaving someone's hair longer.

MemSahib
April 12th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Leaving it longer or curlier or straighter or un-extended means less $$$ for the Beauty Industry. And by all means, let us be "current" in our looks.

zift
April 12th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Anyone read Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World?" This is where the mass media totally controls humans. It is about advertising versus great literature like Shakespeare's "The Tempest."

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb144/elenna_2007/tnwat-f-17.jpg

Yeah I've read the book, and it's written so good that makes me freak out when I see it happening in reality.
I've come to a point that I don't ever trust media or search logic in their sayings. They just try to gain more money and say whatever lie or truth or dream or anything possible and without worrying whether it's controversial or what. Because they'll change or empty the actual meaning of what they're saying anyway. They'll say free yourself and cut your hair. And how can we all supposed to be free if we all go ahead and cut like they say. Does that really mean being free? Or should we be deciding on what's freeing for us.

seabear
April 12th, 2008, 05:18 PM
It's all about keeping women feeling insecure about their looks, no matter their age. If we all feel insecure, we'll spend money on products and services designed to make us feel better... at least until the next trend comes along and we're told, once again, that we aren't good enough. Bah on all of it.

I had not hear of this Great American Haircut thingie. I am sure it will spark a new round of criticisms of long hair on women "of a certain age," of which I am one.....

lora410
April 12th, 2008, 05:46 PM
welcome to the great LHC debate. This isn't the first time we have brought up this issue. It seems with haircare its more double standards then anything. I just basically ignore issue with latest hair trends, dos and don't hair for age and yada yada. It will never change so I simply don't bother. The only advice I listen to these days is LHC advice and that because THEY WON'T SAY " you are to old for long hair, you should really get into the latest hair trend, these highlights would look great on you, or you should so cut your hair because short hair is so in this year and when you do they say you should so get extensions because long hair is soooo in right now" PSHT on what standard society thinks

Nevermore
April 12th, 2008, 08:27 PM
I honestly think that makeovers include haircuts because they make a person look different, not better generally, but always different. They're cheaper than say, giving a working single mother of three a vacation and they can be manipulated to make the rest of the makeover seem more effective. I saw one episode of "What not to wear" where a long haired woman (she had hair to her upper thighs, I think, and she was VERY tall, it must have taken quite awhile to grow) was bitched at over and over to cut/dye her hair and refused to let anyone near it. I was proud of her for that.

As for Oprah, I have no respect whatsoever for her.

Elenna
April 13th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Except for one time, I don't watch Oprah. I've better things to do with my time. She is a spokeswoman for mega-companies.

Hey, I worked at a television studio for a while. And it is all tinsel and glitter backstage. I don't watch that much TV or movies anyway. I'd rather read a book, cook, or garden.

Since, this thread is about hair, I better say something about hair :-D

Oprah's hair is probably "done" for every single appearance by a hair dresser. So for a make over, it is a cheap shot to criticize the average woman about her hair. Yes, I well remember the studio hair dressers and make up department.