PDA

View Full Version : Updo question...

heatherdazy
July 16th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Why all the sticks? Do most LCHers believe that bobby pins are damaging, or are they merely for the sake of convenience?

RancheroTheBee
July 16th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Why all the sticks? Do most LCHers believe that bobby pins are damaging, or are they merely for the sake of convenience?

They allow you to change the position of your hair on a day-to-day basis, unlike elastics which usually rest in the same spot and wear down the hair.

I think a lot of LHCers don't use bobby pins because their hair is so heavy that only sticks will support it properly for long periods of time. I, however, can still get away with bobby pins and clips because my hair is so short.

AJoifulNoise
July 16th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Why do I like sticks?

There are so many different kinds. It's a way of expressing myself.
There are so many different ways to wear them.
You don't see them all that often- so they are just different.
They don't damage my hair like ties and pins can.
I can do more with them than I can with ties and pins alone.

ReddishRocks
July 16th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Bobby pins are used to hold back whisps of hair usually. :) As your hair gets heavier, they're not always effective at holding up a bun!

There's sometimes confusion between bobby pins and Amish pins. This is a bobby pin:

http://3baidsblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/bobby_pin.jpg?w=300&h=97

This is an Amish pin or U pin (which is what I called them growing up):

http://www.lunabead.com/images/bridal/hair/0700H360.JPG

The simple ones are straight, sometimes longer and thicker too. Amish pins can hold up a lot of hair like a hair fork. :)

heatherdazy
July 16th, 2009, 12:58 PM
I do know the difference between different types of hair pins and I have done hair past waist length up for weddings and such, so I know it can be done, though I'm sure the sticks are about a tenth of the time.

SimplyViki
July 16th, 2009, 01:01 PM
For me, it's convenience. Also, I like having an ornament that seems a little unique to me (although admittedly, on LHC and other hair sites, sticks are run-of-the-mill).

LeaM07
July 16th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Sticks aren't really an alternative to bobby pins, just another styling tool in their own right (like an elastic or a headband). They look different (they're made in a variety of styles from woods, metals, and other materials), and they function differently in a style. A Chinese bun (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=15), for instance, involves wrapping the hair around a stick, which you wouldn't be able to do with bobby pins.

One good, strong, stick will also hold up a bun of long, thick hair that would eat bobby pins for breakfast. :)

Copasetic
July 16th, 2009, 01:23 PM
I think a lot of buns require sticks. When you try to secure a bun with an elastic or some bobby pins, it can get pretty messed up.

swanns
July 16th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Sticks are so damn easy to use as well. It takes me less than ten seconds to make a very secure bun with just one stick, that could never be achieved with bobby pins. I do sometimes use bobby pins as well (for some reason amish pins don't hold for me), but that's rare.

spidermom
July 16th, 2009, 01:32 PM
I used bobby pins when my hair was shorter, and I often noticed that hairs got pulled out with the bobby pins. When I learned how to use forks and sticks, I never went back to bobby pins.

demitasse
July 16th, 2009, 01:56 PM
It would take me at least half a dozen pins to corral all my hair. Why do all that when one stick can easily—and more securely—hold different styles? With pins, I was always adjusting them, fixing ones that started to slip, trying to figure out where that hanging hunk of hair was coming from, etc. The first thing I reach for every morning is one of my Ketylos. I put it up and forget it's there.

masterofmidgets
July 16th, 2009, 01:59 PM
A lot of more creative updos used around here require sticks (or some other form of more solid anchoring, like a ficcare). And for day to day hairstyling, a ten-second hairtstick bun is a lot more practical than 10 or 20 bobby pins that take ages to secure properly.

I prefer hairsticks because using pins gives me a headache after a few hours, and since I make my own, I have all kinds of cute, fun sticks that I can show off.

Periwinkle
July 16th, 2009, 01:59 PM
I can't even hold up half my hair with bobby pins - hairpins, yes, but not bobby pins. There's simply no contest: for me, bobby pins are for flyaways and pinning my bangs back.

(LOL at my Americanised post for the benefit of the USers)

luciole
July 16th, 2009, 02:00 PM
I use only amish pins because I don't like hair sticks (I get a sore scalp when using them).
Those which I use are long (3") and thicker than the regular ones sold here.

Yeesha
July 16th, 2009, 02:06 PM
I like it, that I can make an updo that holds by *one single* item (instead of xx bobbypins ;-) ).

And: I always have some sort of "stick" (pencil... ;-)) with me, therefore I am independend in the choice of my updo.

They look good, are easy to use and perfect for lazy people... Therefore I love them. :]

mira-chan
July 16th, 2009, 02:12 PM
I've never used bobby pins for updos other than to keep the wispies down or to hold decorative things to my hair, such as flowers. It would take over 20 of them to keep my bun up and they pull oddly, so it hurts. My hair has also eaten bobby pins. They come out oddly bent. It's done this to thinner U- pins too.

Sticks, forks, and ficcare don't hurt and keep my hair up all day.

kwaniesiam
July 16th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Amish pins are something different, those I love and can secure a bun with 3 measly pins (which I just got today in the mail and absolutely love!). I like sticks and forks more for decoration, if I want a plain bun I go for a plain hairtoy like a wavelength pin (bent double pointed knitting needle).

neon-dream
July 16th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Bobby pins would never ever hold an updo up for me, whereas one hair stick will hold all of my hair.
They look prettier, and there's so many different kinds.
So my question is, why not use them!? :D!

BirdieGene
July 16th, 2009, 02:34 PM
For me it's my convince, I'm constantly loosing hair pins. The sticks secure without extra pins for me and they're hard to loose. I think they add a bit of whimsy to my buns as well.

Gumball
July 16th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Sometimes it's convenience, may depend on the style, or just the security of the style that may prompt pins or sticks. The styles that sticks do work for result in them working really well. Same can be said for some styles and pins. It all depends on the wearer, the style, and preference.

ReddishRocks
July 16th, 2009, 02:55 PM
I do know the difference between different types of hair pins and I have done hair past waist length up for weddings and such, so I know it can be done, though I'm sure the sticks are about a tenth of the time.

Sorry - I didn't mean to imply that you didn't know the difference, but I know folks have been confused before! :flower:

nowxisxforever
July 16th, 2009, 03:29 PM
I just hate bobby pins.

They're useless after 1 use, it takes a metric asston of them in order to make a simple bun stay, and they're ugly. Also, they pop out frequently and fall out.

I can buy one hairstick and 5 years later still have the same flippin' hairstick which works perfectly to quickly and securely, uh, secure my buns.

Amish pins > bobby pins even, 2 amish pins - a few seconds - done.

rhosyn_du
July 16th, 2009, 03:39 PM
I can put all of my hair up securely with two sticks, whereas I can use an entire package of bobby pins and still not have a secure updo. I think bobby pins are just too short to be effective with hair as thick and slippery as mine.

Amara
July 16th, 2009, 04:22 PM
It's really not an either/or thing... I bet a lot of people use both depending on what 'do their making.

MandaMom2Three
July 16th, 2009, 04:24 PM
I've never met a bobby pin that didn't rip my hair out :scared: and I love all the pretty sticks :cloud9: !

JamieLeigh
July 16th, 2009, 04:43 PM
I personally find hair sticks to be way less damaging, and easier to put in and pull out than most pins or elastics. And it takes less time to take down a hair stick style (IMO).

But that doesn't mean I don't still use and enjoy elastics and pins. There are many styles you just can't do with a stick. It's not an "all or nothing" thing.

Cinnamon Hair
July 16th, 2009, 06:40 PM
My hair has never done well with bobby pins. First of all, they are hard for me to get apart. Once I have them in my hair, they are hard to get out without pulling hairs. Next, I would need so many that I could easily set off every metal detector within a 50 mile radius. When I used drugstore pins I preferred the U shape metal pins with the waves in them.

In my updos pins are what I use to make an updo extra secure around the outside edges and then only if needed. I prefer the plastic Good Hair Days pins available at Tenderheaded.com or Ulta.com The seams do need sanding (use a nail file) but aside from that they are perfect.

Basically, my updos are so wide that short pins just don't work unless I use a ton of them starting at the center. Hairsticks are a lot easier for me. 2 sticks will hold almost any updo for me. Then if I have loose bits, I add 1 to 3 Good Hair Days pins.

Deborah
July 16th, 2009, 09:09 PM
For me, bobby pins always catch and pull out a hair or two. I hate them. :taz: I doubt that I own one these days. Sticks and forks are so much easier to use, hold better and are more comfortable, if put in correctly, than bobby pins or hair pins. Amish pins are pretty good too, but I prefer a metal fork to them.

The other thing I use and like lately for updos are those little claw clips. They hold surprisingly well, are comfy and easy to use. I have (rarely) caught a hair or two, but if I remove them slowly, I have no problem and never rip out any hair with them.

Toothe
July 16th, 2009, 09:28 PM
For me it's convenience--wind up your hair, stick a stick in it, and you're done. Also, sticks are distinctive, something the general populace doesn't wear.

I do like pinned styles too, though. I can do them with bobby pins, but since I found Amish pins I love them so much more.

sneakybea
July 16th, 2009, 09:43 PM
I do use bobby pins for some hairstyles, but I always bend them out of shape. I also have to use so many of them that I always misplace them in my hair, and find them later when I'm showering or something. And hair sticks are so ornamental, and I just love to decorate myself! (I'm a jewelry addict too!)

HappyHair87
July 16th, 2009, 09:56 PM
I killed a bobby pin the other day!!! And i only used it once!!! LOL!!

Sticks are easier!!!

nowxisxforever
July 17th, 2009, 12:41 AM
I do use bobby pins for some hairstyles, but I always bend them out of shape. I also have to use so many of them that I always misplace them in my hair, and find them later when I'm showering or something. And hair sticks are so ornamental, and I just love to decorate myself! (I'm a jewelry addict too!)

I used to lose them in my hair too when I'd use a few for something... and still do if I'm using them for something that requires secure holding and I don't have the right type of amish pins lying around for it, like a coronet of sorts.

What I started doing is I would go from the top to the bottom of my hair, poking and prodding at it with my hands... and I will find every last one, poke it out of my hair, and toss it. If you gather all the hair up into a ponytail or take down a braid, you can feel them if you're careful and slow enough.

redcelticcurls
July 17th, 2009, 12:53 AM
Sticks and forks are fun for me, and often quicker and easier for me, and they work well.

Now, when I'm in military uniform, I do it with bobby pins to comply with regulations. It just takes more time and a lot of pins. I'm used to it though and can do it readily enough.

Roseate
July 17th, 2009, 01:05 AM
I like both sticks and pins (though not bobby pins- my weapons of choice are the 3" long 'roller pins (http://www.sallybeauty.com/Jumbo-Roller-Pins/SBS-270162,default,pd.html)'). Just depends on the look du jour, both are comfortable and easy to use for me.

I think sticks get more visibility on this site because they are decorative as well as functional; no-one's going to start a new thread because they bought a new box of plain hairpins, but a new stick is cause for celebration!

Dementia1013
July 17th, 2009, 01:09 AM
I use bobby pins only to secure parts of untamed layers that i'm growing out. I can't really hold a bun securely with bobby pins anymore. I don't know what it is, but something about their design allows them to slide out of my hair by themselves. :shrug:

Melisande
July 17th, 2009, 01:27 AM
It never occurred to me to hold an updo with bobby pins. That's not what they are there for. Bobby pins are intended to hold back parts of an updo. They are much too short and narrow for holding a bun. I used U shaped hair pins before I discovered sticks (many years before I found the boards - in a book by Ann Akers Johnson), forks and scroos. Scroos hold better for me than even Amish pins although the original steel Amish pins are great, too.

Hairsticks are functional as well as decorative. You can collect them. Who wants to collect bobby pins? ;-)

(Just look at CinnamonHair's collection. I mean - WOW.)

Stevy
July 17th, 2009, 02:34 AM
I can't imagine keeping all my hair up with bobby pins. It'd be like trying to eat an entire meal with one of those little wooden or plastic spoons you get with a mini tub of ice cream.

Also, sticks are attractive.

Calanthe
July 17th, 2009, 03:28 AM
No bobby pins for me.

Either, I get too much hair in it, so it falls out. Or it's not enough hair and it falls out.
I find them really uncomfortable to wear (they really hurt my scalp and I get headaches) and (which is the worst) they are a nightmare to get rid of. They tear and pull and cost me way too much hair :D. As a fine-hair I have to be extra careful as my hair is so fine and soft and therefore very damage-prone.

Now, a stick, fork or Amish pin is easy, fast, beautiful, versatile and nearly undamaging. I've never torn or pulled my hair when removing a stick, a fork or Amish pins.

Rentlle
July 17th, 2009, 03:37 AM
why I use sticks:

It's easy and fast updo-ing
it's pretty-er in my opinion.
you need only 1 or 2 sticks and A LOT of bobby pins for the same updo

why i don't like bobby pins:

I hurt myself with them xD
You always see that I use a lot, and that's not pretty
They just don't hold my bun
and I realy can't work with them :)

WaimeaWahine
July 17th, 2009, 04:51 AM
I'm not a stick user for a lot of reasons but mostly because my hair is frail and short enough still to be pinned easily. Sticks are very pretty but it's sad some people have such a negative view of bobby pins. I personally find unadorned neat hair very classy looking.

Again though, length and weight of hair must be considered! For many women here little pins aren't going to hold up anything. ;)

If someone can tell me what women held their long locks up with in the old west I would seriously love to know! The bobby pin wasn't created until the 1920's by Luis Marcus, and was just for pinning the sides of bobbed haircuts. I use curved pins for baby hairs and fly aways and regular pins on buns. Sticks only make my bun look smaller. :rolleyes:

So to answer the original question it's a matter of convenience, workability, and personal choice. Just like claw clips... which scare me. :pumpkin:

Stevy
July 17th, 2009, 05:06 AM
If someone can tell me what women held their long locks up with in the old west I would seriously love to know! The bobby pin wasn't created until the 1920's by Luis Marcus, and was just for pinning the sides of bobbed haircuts. I use curved pins for baby hairs and fly aways and regular pins on buns.

You really want HeidiW, she's the historic hair expert, but in the meantime my guess would be horn hair pins. They quite often pop up on eBay along with the 1930s celluloid ones - they're about the size of a Good Hair Days pin, but with straight tines rather than waved.

mira-chan
July 17th, 2009, 07:50 AM
If someone can tell me what women held their long locks up with in the old west I would seriously love to know! The bobby pin wasn't created until the 1920's by Luis Marcus, and was just for pinning the sides of bobbed haircuts. I use curved pins for baby hairs and fly aways and regular pins on buns. Sticks only make my bun look smaller. :rolleyes:

Metal U pins, like Amish pins have been around for quite a while and are relatively easy to make so those would have been around. Along with the horn hair accessories that Stevy mentioned. Carved bone and wood pins have been in use too. You find metal and bone hair sticks and forks in 2000+ year old tombs so I gather they were around in the 19th century too, though access would have been more limited and lower decoration. Combs with longer tines can hold up hair too.

Many would inherit hair pins and combs from their mother or grandmother. They wouldn't have a lot of then unless they were rich.