PDA

View Full Version : what not to wear

fisher2
July 16th, 2009, 10:56 AM
i was watching what not to wear and this girl had blonde almost waist hair and her roots from her dye was showing so the hairdresser decided she needed highlights and 4 inches cut off and would not listen to her about the length cut it horrified me.

heatherdazy
July 16th, 2009, 10:58 AM
It's a makeover show... the whole point is to make you look different.

JamieRose
July 16th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Gah. The hairstylist on that show always cuts really short, even when their hair is healthy. But I guess it's the best way to make someone look drastically different in a week.

RancheroTheBee
July 16th, 2009, 11:23 AM
They're usually intent on cutting the contestants hair, and from what I can gather, the person consents for the most part. It's kind of unfortunate that they can't see long hair as beautiful, but we do live in a culture where more upkeep (highlights, dye, etc) is considered less 'lazy' than long hair.

ZadenWillowfyre
July 16th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Yea...it makes me mad that they always have to cut peoples hair short. Sometimes it looks good but sometimes it really doesn't and they have to talk alot of the people into doing the cut.

Sheltie_Momma
July 16th, 2009, 12:06 PM
I would never let that guy cut my hair, because his hair looks awful and he always give everyone the same layered bob thing.

heatherdazy
July 16th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Ha ha ha, 'that guy' is Nick Arrojo. He owns a famous salon in Manhattan, and is famous for his razor expertise. He's written books and I know tons I stylists who have his technique dvds.

SHELIAANN1969
July 16th, 2009, 12:14 PM
So, he's the Zorro of hairdressers? :rollin: :rollin: :rollin:

JamiG
July 16th, 2009, 12:18 PM
I like to watch this show. But I've only seen him leave the length on a few women. One woman had really long beautiful curly hair. He trimmed it and showed her how to care for the curls and it turned out really pretty. But that's been several years ago. Lately I've only seen him cut hair short.

Jessikinz
July 16th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Well usually on makeover shows, the contestant knows that sort of thing will happen to their hair. So it doesn't really bother me that much, I just don't watch them. :)

melrose1985
July 16th, 2009, 12:28 PM
There was a what not wear on the other day with a lady that had hair down to maybe tail bone, i think... they wanted to cut it to elbow/ under her chest. Well anyway she said NO WAY on a hair cut or color, and she stood her ground. So they showed her some videos of other ladies with long that had gotten trims and how happy they were after. Nope she still said no way, and then left it!

ladylibra
July 16th, 2009, 12:47 PM
A lot of makeover shows have you agree to changing your look in exchange for the free wardrobe, free facials and make-up, free hair styling... etc. If I were on that show, I'd let them shave my head for some of the great stuff they give away. :laugh: But that's me.

ReddishRocks
July 16th, 2009, 12:51 PM
I would never let that guy cut my hair, because his hair looks awful and he always give everyone the same layered bob thing.
Ditto, although I have seen a couple of shows where girls had long long hair and he just cut off the "damage", which was a few inches, actually. Eh.

wintersun99
July 16th, 2009, 01:07 PM

sweet*things
July 16th, 2009, 01:09 PM
I have a couple of friends who had the opportunity to go on that show. The one with long hair was willing but the other one wasn't, and since the show was trying to set up a group makeover special, it never happened.

The schtick was that they'd have to pretend to be stuck in the '80's.:laugh: Back in the day they both had very distinctive '80's looks, which my long-haired friend was willing to recreate, even though she gave up mousse and blowdriers and "metal" hair a long time ago.:D However, the short haired one wasn't willing to give up her current punky hair and go back to looking like Wendy & Lisa. :laugh:

It would have been a fun episode, especially since I could have been one of the friends in the crowd at the end clapping at the makeovers. ;)

jivete
July 16th, 2009, 01:16 PM
He's usually pretty good but I have seen some catastrophes. I did see the girl with the curly hair and he did a great job on it. Most of the people on the show are fine with the cutting and the ones that are hesitant, he seems to adjust the cut. I think if you stood your ground on this makeover show, you could get away with not having them do your hair. I've been watching this show a lot lately and have been thinking about what I would do if I were on it.

bigdreamer
July 16th, 2009, 01:17 PM
I think on that show they also heavily emphasize the "looking your age part" in their wardrobe makeovers, and of course cutting hair off goes along with that since everyone knows that "long hair doesn't look good after a certain age."

BAH!!!

krissykins
July 16th, 2009, 01:20 PM
I would never let Nick cut my hair. What makes me laugh is he charges $500 for a cut, according to the Arrojo Studio website (http://www.arrojostudio.com/studio/services/services.htm).

:disbelief

zzstarz13z05
July 17th, 2009, 12:27 AM
haha, i was watching this episode today and thought of you all on LHC and wondered what you thought.

and i did see the episode with the lady with TBL hair, and said NO WAY to Nick touching it. I was glad that they let her keep it!

lizzyjo
July 17th, 2009, 01:00 AM
I really like Stacy and Clinton, but I do NOT like Nick one bit. He always chops it off, then makes it look "shiny and healthy" by blow drying, flat ironing, and curling, then using three different products.

One episode stands out for me when a middle-aged woman had her blond hair cut to chin length and she hated it and was crying. When she got home she got extensions. In your face, Nick!

I only remember one episode in which he left a girl's hair long, but he cut lots of layers into it. I think it looked very nice, but personally I feel that layers are more difficult to deal with than hair that's all one length.

I usually change the channel after the person is done shopping for clothing.

manderly
July 17th, 2009, 01:05 AM
Ha ha ha, 'that guy' is Nick Arrojo. He owns a famous salon in Manhattan, and is famous for his razor expertise. He's written books and I know tons I stylists who have his technique dvds.

Uh, yeah, he still sucks at hair. He looks like a greasy poodle half the time, and he butchers most of the guests into the most tragic above shoulder cuts.

I think he has a personal vendetta against anything longer than shoulder-length.

There are plenty of threads about this show and "that guy".

young&reckless
July 17th, 2009, 09:23 AM
I am usally more mad at the need for the tons of makeup that you need for a no makeup look then Nick's bob ******.

Sad really that some people can not stand up for themselves.

heatherdazy
July 17th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Uh, yeah, he still sucks at hair. He looks like a greasy poodle half the time, and he butchers most of the guests into the most tragic above shoulder cuts.

I think he has a personal vendetta against anything longer than shoulder-length.

There are plenty of threads about this show and "that guy".
Cutting lengths you don't personally wear doesn't mean he 'sucks at hair' anymore than a chef who cooks with butter sucks just because you personally are on a low fat diet.

thankyousir74
July 17th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Cutting lengths you don't personally wear doesn't mean he 'sucks at hair' anymore than a chef who cooks with butter sucks just because you personally are on a low fat diet.

Personally, when I think "sucks at hair" I think that he mainly knows what currently "looks good in the mainstream" and not exactly how to care for hair. I've never seen the show but have seen many of these types of hair stylists. The same kind that say "trimming makes your hair grow faster" and that use obscene amount of products, styling and time to create an impractical style for a lady's given hair type.

There are a lot of threads on here about how the mainstream often shows some sort of dislike for long hair, and we at LHC recognize that societal conflict.

We just sometimes get a little miffed that the common accepted style has to be shoulder length, colored, and blowfried.

I have seen countless posts about beautiful women with long hair being told to cut their healthy tresses merely because it's not in style or because the vast majority of the public is ignorant as to actual haircare. I personally just get tired of people running their mouths about things they don't know.
ETA: Not meaning anyone on LHC but just people on the street who just take a glance at long hair and automatically assume that "it isn't healthy"

But I guess I'll have to be forced to when I do grow long hair, because it is a societal decision and it will be my responsibility to have to hear people's opinions all the time.

:twocents:

Cherry_Sprinkle
July 17th, 2009, 10:45 AM
I don't like the show at all. I'm not a fan of how Stacy London talks to people or how they don't actually listen to what the people want. I saw one woman on there with classic length hair and while perhaps she could have used a good trim to waist length they chopped it all off to the standard shoulder length bob. She was in tears but in the end decided that they knew better than her... :shrug:

Copasetic
July 17th, 2009, 10:50 AM
The people on the show can say no to the big chop; I have seen it happen. That said, I still don't like how he cuts hair 99% of the time. Its not just that he cuts it short, its that he cuts it *weird*. One time he gave this girl a crazy Beatle/bowl hair cut with blue in it. It was a mess.

Edit: I also saw him give a girl a mullet one time. She had been cutting her own hair for a long time, and had done a way better job than Nick did.

ladylibra
July 17th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Personally, when I think "sucks at hair" I think that he mainly knows what currently "looks good in the mainstream" and not exactly how to care for hair. I've never seen the show but have seen many of these types of hair stylists.

Basically this is most stylists. They go to school to learn to style hair, not care for its true health but make it "look good."

Alia
July 17th, 2009, 11:33 AM
What gets me is that Stacey's hair is long, and she's in the over thirty crowd. I thought they said long hair ages you and draws your face down? :rolleyes:

aksown
July 17th, 2009, 11:58 AM
I saw an episode where the woman flatly refused to cut her TB length, beautifully maintained, hair. They also showed Nick talking to Carmindy and telling her that this woman evidently doesn't want to look "better". He told Carmindy that she would probably have an argument about the make-up but that didn't happen. The woman told the camera that make-up can wash off, but she's been growing her hair for decades. I stood up in my living room and cheered! :applause
Also, my cousin is currently in beauty school and she was amazed at the buns my amateur hands can do. Her teachers aren't teaching her anything about "hairstyling", just "haircutting". :(

adiapalic
July 17th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Her teachers aren't teaching her anything about "hairstyling", just "haircutting". :(

I think there's a lot to be said about this distinction. I don't think that in order to make someone look "different" or "better" means you have to cut off huge amounts of hair, and give a person an avant-garde style.

Nick Arrojo is not necessarily a great hairstylist, he's just good at doing extreme things by going out on a creative limb. Thus drawing attention to himself. He just happens to want to do things differently and drastically--a creative gamble, even if the people don't really look good, he's getting paid. Everyone knows that subtlety doesn't make television.

I still think producers up the drama in these shows just to keep people talking.

I'd keep my $500.

heatherdazy
July 17th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Also, my cousin is currently in beauty school and she was amazed at the buns my amateur hands can do. Her teachers aren't teaching her anything about "hairstyling", just "haircutting". :(
A few words on this:

First, beauty school teaches very little at all. Mainly safety and sanitation, etc. All high end stylists have spend at least a year, usually two years as an apprentice/assistant which is where you actually learn how to do hair.

Second, the cutting vs styling thing is a new trend. Stylists used to be updo and setting experts back when women would come in for it every week. Now cutting and color is what clients who actually come into the salon regularly ask to have done. We rely heavily on the blowdryer, not because we're trying to damage your hair, but so clients can see the result of their cut/color and so they can learn at least one way to style their hair in a timely manner.

If more long haired women went into salons to have their hair conditioned, braided, upstyled, or set, stylists would be forced to become more accomidating to that type of client. Over time and working with it, you would have a real relationship with your stylist, she would take as much pride in the health of your hair as you do, and she would be loathe to overtrim it because she would understand your feelings towards it in a way she couldn't if you only sat in her chair for an hour a year.

This is certainly the best course of action in my opinion. You would benefit because you would not have to fear trims and would be able to wear your hair in styles you couldn't do yourself; stylists would benefit from the extra experience in this area; stylists would view you as a real client and not just some walk-in who hardly ever comes in; more women might be encouraged to grow their hair long from watching all the fun in the salon.

ImperfectBrat
July 17th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Ick. I just looked at the ingredients in his product line. No offense meant to those of you that like 'cones but wow does he really like his !!:eek:

Magdalene
July 17th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Did anyone see the show where the woman with the big Texas hair went out immediately after her makeover and got extentions I don't normally approve of extensions but good for her!

tigerlily896
July 17th, 2009, 06:21 PM
i think on those shows they want to do such drastic things to make everyone be like "wow she looks so different...different=good, amirite?"

However, I still feel that if they were so good at "making over" people that they would listen to things that were deal-breakers to some people and work around them. Such as hair length.

manderly
July 18th, 2009, 01:27 AM

As someone who has personally rocked some pretty awesome short hairstyles most of my life, it isn't the fact that he cuts it short, it's that he gives them crappy haircuts. I'm not pretentious enough to think that every woman should have long hair or looks her best with long hair, so please don't put words into my mouth. ;)

He gives heinous haircuts 90% of the time, that's why he "sucks at hair". Sure, I've seen a couple and thought "hey, that's cute and she looks a lot better", but for the most part he gives women bobs, mullets (he loves giving curlies mullets and they blowing them out straight :crazyq:), and soccer mom haircuts.

:shrug: I've got nothing against a short haircut, like I've said, I've rocked a few adorable styles in my life. I have a problem with BAD short haircuts.

Here are some examples:
http://tlc.discovery.com/fansites/whatnottowear/slideshows/before-and-after/season-6-slideshow.html

Let me repeat, some are cute. Some are vile.

Stevy
July 18th, 2009, 01:43 AM
If more long haired women went into salons to have their hair conditioned, braided, upstyled, or set, stylists would be forced to become more accomidating to that type of client. Over time and working with it, you would have a real relationship with your stylist, she would take as much pride in the health of your hair as you do, and she would be loathe to overtrim it because she would understand your feelings towards it in a way she couldn't if you only sat in her chair for an hour a year.

This is certainly the best course of action in my opinion. You would benefit because you would not have to fear trims and would be able to wear your hair in styles you couldn't do yourself; stylists would benefit from the extra experience in this area; stylists would view you as a real client and not just some walk-in who hardly ever comes in; more women might be encouraged to grow their hair long from watching all the fun in the salon.

I think salon styling can be a great resource for long-haired people who have back and shoulder issues that mean braiding or doing updos on their own hair isn't possible, or who don't have the time and patience to learn updos themselves. (And there's nothing wrong with not having the time or patience! I'm never going to get round to learning to snowboard, for example, and I'm probably missing out, but I'm just not interested enough. Some people aren't interested enough in braiding their own hair. It'd be a dull world if we were all alike).

I don't think it's realistic to expect all or even most long-haired people to come back to the salon, though. Personally, I don't like other people's hands in my hair, and I don't feel I need a partner in caring for my hair, though it's always interesting to hear other people's opinions on new conditioning treatments or whatever. When I see a style I can't do myself, I either practice it until I can do it, or I realise that my hair doesn't have the length or thickness or texture that's necessary and make peace with it.

As for whether more women are encouraged to grow their hair long, I don't mind whether they do or not. The only way other people's hair choices affect me is if their hair gets in my face when I'm sitting behind them at a concert, or if everyone else in the world suddenly gets a buzzcut overnight and the bottom drops out of the hairstick market. ;)

Sorry if this seems harsh: I think it's great that you want to do more for your long-haired customers, and I'm sorry you've come across anti-stylist feeling here. It's interesting to get a stylist's point of view; for example, it would never have occurred to me that stylists would treat a 'walk-in' with any less courtesy and skill than a regular client. I'm polite and smell clean and I tip well, and if I went to a salon, I'd expect their best standard of service.

KiwiLiz
July 18th, 2009, 02:32 AM
i think on those shows they want to do such drastic things to make everyone be like "wow she looks so different...different=good, amirite?"

This.

What Not Wear doesn't bother me so much, the featured guest has to agree to it, if they really really insist that their hair not be cut, then they don't cut it, and they still get advice in other areas of personal style.

Shows like Next Top Model bother me a lot, it's a definite case of different=good, the contestants with short hair get extensions, and the contestants with long hair get a dramatic cut -it seems like it almost always happens, as if to say people who like and have long hair never suit it, and people who like and have shorter hair never suit it. From what I've seen Tyra and the hairstylists get pretty pissy if the contestant doesn't want to make the change, and on this show there's the threat of being eliminated if you don't do as you're told.

BAH! I say, BAH!

heatherdazy
July 25th, 2009, 09:11 PM
It's interesting to get a stylist's point of view; for example, it would never have occurred to me that stylists would treat a 'walk-in' with any less courtesy and skill than a regular client. I'm polite and smell clean and I tip well, and if I went to a salon, I'd expect their best standard of service.
It's not that a stylist would be less courteous or put forth less than their best effort, it's just that you're a stranger with hair that they've never seen or worked with before. It's the difference between the doctor who's treated you for years and knows all of your allergies, med histories and how you care for yourself versus a strange doctor who has ten minutes to soak in all that info and still try to help you.

Flynn
July 25th, 2009, 09:26 PM
As someone who has personally rocked some pretty awesome short hairstyles most of my life, it isn't the fact that he cuts it short, it's that he gives them crappy haircuts. I'm not pretentious enough to think that every woman should have long hair or looks her best with long hair, so please don't put words into my mouth. ;)

He gives heinous haircuts 90% of the time, that's why he "sucks at hair". Sure, I've seen a couple and thought "hey, that's cute and she looks a lot better", but for the most part he gives women bobs, mullets (he loves giving curlies mullets and they blowing them out straight :crazyq:), and soccer mom haircuts.

:shrug: I've got nothing against a short haircut, like I've said, I've rocked a few adorable styles in my life. I have a problem with BAD short haircuts.

Here are some examples:
http://tlc.discovery.com/fansites/whatnottowear/slideshows/before-and-after/season-6-slideshow.html

Let me repeat, some are cute. Some are vile.

Agreed. As another someone who would still be a shorthair were it not for being unable to afford to maintain it, those haircuts are disgusting. Not because they are short, because they are just plain bad.

Photo 1: Cute and flippy, suits her, but maybe wants to be a tad shorter, to closed and frumpy. Added about twenty years. Photo 3: soft, natural, if not exciting, to downright ugly. Looks about twenty years older. 4 and 5 are actually nice and suit them. Photo 10: the bangs look horrible on her, and the style is clearly waaay too closed and conservative for her personality. Photos 13 and 14: way too harsh for both of them... you get the idea.

sedonia
July 25th, 2009, 09:31 PM
This is the show that during the commercial segues shows a "no miniskirts after 35" street sign. That makes me want to vomit about as much as the "no long hair over 35" mantra.

Flynn
July 25th, 2009, 09:36 PM
No miniskirts after 60, perhaps I'd see where they're coming from. But 35? You kidding?

Poetic
July 25th, 2009, 10:01 PM
I was glad to see that they finally replaced the hairstylist on What Not to Wear. More than the previous stylist always wanting to cut hair short (of which one can say yes or no) and often giving a bad (some might say variation of the same) haircut, I think it is the way he spoke to persons who disagreed with him that got him replaced. The new stylist seems to listen more . . . and he is definitely better skilled.

klcqtee
July 25th, 2009, 10:08 PM
They have a new hairstylist (I don't know why Nick left) and the episode I saw with him, he only trimmed her BSL hair about 2 inches (which, IMO, she needed). She was devastated though. It was really sad.

wintersun99
July 25th, 2009, 10:11 PM

patience
July 25th, 2009, 10:15 PM
I saw one episode with new stylist yesterday. I really like him...he seems to like longer hair, too. He was really nice and listened. He does like coloring though and said he thinks everyone should color their hair, but other than that he seemed really cool.

klcqtee
July 25th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Oh, that's true. I do remember him distinctly saying that "Every woman should have some colour in their hair." He did mention it was because it can help/improve the look of a woman's complexion. While I agree, I think that it should be achieved without harsh chemicals (even though I'm completely guilty, and suffering for it!).