PDA

View Full Version : Gelatin vs Jell-O

shadowclaw
July 16th, 2009, 10:23 AM
I have been reading about how gelatin has helped hair growth and the condition of hair and am thinking about using it. However, I was wondering if there is any difference between eating plain gelatin powder (e.g. Knox) mixed with something or just eating Jell-O. Both are readily available to me, but I think Jell-O might be cheaper. I'm not sure, though. I might be able to find bulk-sized gelatin powder at a store that caters to restaurants and sells mostly bulk-sized food items.

The main ingredient in Jell-O is gelatin, but one packet of sugar-free Jell-O is the same size as a packet of Knox gelatin (regular Jell-O comes in a bigger packet), and there are several other ingredients in Jell-O, so the gelatin content of Jell-O is lower. However, maybe a full packet of gelatin isn't necessary?

GeoJ
July 16th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Well, I think as long as you don't have a problem consuming the other ingredients in Jell-O it would be fine (for me personally I can't stand the taste of the artificial food coloring and the artificial sweeteners in sugar free things give me mouth sores). They are both gelatin, and I don't think you would consume the Knox straight, you would mix it with something anyway. (I am assuming you would make the Jell-O in the normal way).

:)

RancheroTheBee
July 16th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Knox gelatin packets are really cheap, and some people mix it into tea or just water. You can also get gelatin in a capsule form, which usually costs about 5$ - 10$ for a bottle of 100.

But Jello itself is arduous to prepare in comparison to Knox and capsules. Also, it contains a lot of sugar (or aspartame) and other ingredients that are probably not great for hair growth. Furthermore, a single packet of Jello (and by comparison, Knox gelatin) can yield up to 10 servings; drinking a glass of water vs. a huge bowl of Jello, every single day.

I take the equivalent of about five tablespoons of gelatin every day, in capsule form (argggh, stomach of steel!), personally.

You could, theoretically, just dissolve a packet of Jello in water every day and see what happens, although, I'm sure the taste would be a little overwhelming. But hey, it might work. Try it for a while and let me know how it goes.

(You know, worse comes to worse and you can drink dissolved Knox and mix in a packet of Tang to make it taste better. :grin:)

shadowclaw
July 16th, 2009, 12:16 PM
I like the taste of Jell-O, personally, and I don't mind artificial sweeteners or sugar. I've used Knox before to make rolled fondant for cakes, and I think it smells disgusting. Probably tastes that way, too :disgust: I would, naturally, mix it with something flavorful. I like the idea of making fruit cubes with the Knox and fruit juice. There's a recipe on the back of the box. However, that would probably end up being a lot of fruit cubes to consume.

The Jell-O I buy is a cheap store brand. The big box of Knox at Walmart might prove to be cheaper per pack, though, as would a big can of the powder if I could find it.

Oh, and on occasion I do drink the Jell-O when there's extra that won't fit into the mold. It's not so bad :)

RancheroTheBee
July 16th, 2009, 12:29 PM
I like the taste of Jell-O, personally, and I don't mind artificial sweeteners or sugar. I've used Knox before to make rolled fondant for cakes, and I think it smells disgusting. Probably tastes that way, too :disgust: I would, naturally, mix it with something flavorful. I like the idea of making fruit cubes with the Knox and fruit juice. There's a recipe on the back of the box. However, that would probably end up being a lot of fruit cubes to consume.

The Jell-O I buy is a cheap store brand. The big box of Knox at Walmart might prove to be cheaper per pack, though, as would a big can of the powder if I could find it.

Oh, and on occasion I do drink the Jell-O when there's extra that won't fit into the mold. It's not so bad :)

It sounds like you might just have to drink Jello. :D You wouldn't have to prepare it to see the benefits; maybe just mix it with water to make a fruit drink. A whole packet might be too much to start with; gelatin can cause stomach upset and nausea when taken in large doses like that.

LaurelSpring
July 16th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Has anyone had really noticeable growth from this or is it mostly heresay? Did anyone start doing it and say Wow my hair is really growing now that I started eating Jello? I tried it for awhile but didnt do it long enough to tell if there was a difference. I want to give it shot again though. I have some knox for hair and nails on the fridge. Ill have to give it a go again and see.

RancheroTheBee
July 16th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Has anyone had really noticeable growth from this or is it mostly heresay? Did anyone start doing it and say Wow my hair is really growing now that I started eating Jello? I tried it for awhile but didnt do it long enough to tell if there was a difference. I want to give it shot again though. I have some knox for hair and nails on the fridge. Ill have to give it a go again and see.

I took gelatin supplements in a pill form, and I did experience a significant gain in growth. DragonLady says she experienced an increase in thickness after taking them regularly for several months.

DragonLady
July 16th, 2009, 01:17 PM
I haven't really noticed faster growth. Rather, the individual hair strands that have been growing in since I began taking everyday have gotten thicker. It has not changed the hair I already had; rather just the new growth is bigger around. I've been taking it almost everyday for a full year, and have about 5" of the thicker hairs. They do split just as easy as the finer ones, though, so I can't claim they're any stronger.

It takes three full months of taking it every single day to notice any real benefits. So the idea of eating enough Jell-O to equal a half packet of Knox every day turns me off. Once in a while; maybe even a couple of times a week. But everyday? I find it much easier to simply mix half of a packet of the plain Knox variety with sodium free buillion (spelling?) powder. It takes about 90 seconds to prepare and is easier (for me) to drink.

LaurelSpring
July 16th, 2009, 01:19 PM
I took gelatin supplements in a pill form, and I did experience a significant gain in growth. DragonLady says she experienced an increase in thickness after taking them regularly for several months.

Thanks for the response and feedback! Now I am motivated. I will start downing it tonight and see. :pray:

Do you know how much it takes to see results?

Norai
July 16th, 2009, 01:36 PM
I was surprised how expensive gelatin was at the grocery store (in the packets) so I went and checked amazon - they have a big 1lb can for $13! Much better deal.

I tried making jello with it out of cranberry juice... it wasn't very tasty... I think I'm just going to try to add it to smoothies or something instead.

oops I forgot to post the link
http://www.amazon.com/Knox-Unflavored-Gelatin-1-lb/dp/B001UOW7D8/ref=wl_itt_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=IW3SJNUOPXDDD&colid=AEFMV1905ZO5

DragonLady
July 16th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Do you know how much it takes to see results?

I take one teaspoon everyday. If you take more, you may see better results, but I still think it will take three full months to notice any real difference. So be patient and make it a daily habit.

RancheroTheBee
July 16th, 2009, 02:13 PM
It took me about a month, but I take about four capsules a day. It could take several months to see a difference.

nowxisxforever
July 16th, 2009, 02:14 PM
It sounds like you might just have to drink Jello. :D You wouldn't have to prepare it to see the benefits; maybe just mix it with water to make a fruit drink. A whole packet might be too much to start with; gelatin can cause stomach upset and nausea when taken in large doses like that.

You'd be surprised-- drinking jello isn't that bad. My mother gave me jello when I was ill as a child when I couldn't keep anything down... the type with sugar, not artificial sweeteners. It's a fair bit of sugar and, I imagine, protein? that should absorb quickly, so good for children that can't keep solids down :(

When I got sick recently I had a packet of jello, I drank part of it warm and chilled the rest for later.

Norai
July 16th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Also, random point: homemade broth made with bones has a good amount of gelatin. I just stick a chicken carcass (with the breasts and leg meat taken off) in the crock pot with water to cover and some onions, salt, random veggie pieces I have lying around, and cook it for a few hours.

I think the longer you cook it the more stuff you get out of the bones, not sure what the upper end is on it though. :) I've refrigerated this and had it come out with a really jello-y consistency (probably best when you use lots of neck/cartilaginous pieces)... I mean, not jello giggler, but pretty close! Makes good soup.

Elphie
July 16th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Warm, liquid jello was always "sick food" when I was a kid. I used to love drinking it.

MsBubbles
July 16th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Unfortunately I have to concur with this comment (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=323171&postcount=35) on this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=323375).

I feel so scammed! I have a big box of Knox gelatin in my kitchen :(. Besides it upset my stomach when I tried it (but I have a sensitive tummy anyway).

DragonLady
July 16th, 2009, 07:39 PM
I can only speak for myself; but I see improvements since I began taking it. I started drinking it before I ever found this place, and was beginning to notice slight changes in my fingernails about the time I registered here. My nails are still a bit stronger than they used to be, although since then I've also stopped gardening, which wasn't very nail-friendly. I will continue to take gelatin for my hair, because I'm convinced it's made it thicker.

And I do know of at least one study that showed it works. I'll try to find it later and provide a link.

MsBubbles
July 16th, 2009, 07:40 PM
And I do know of at least one study that showed it works. I'll try to find it later and provide a link.

Yes, please if you can! I'll give it another shot and maybe try less so it's easier on my belly, if I can see evidence/studies that it does work.

redneckprincess
July 16th, 2009, 08:09 PM
gelatin pills (what I take) are fairley cheep and probally cheeper in the long run, then just jello I dont know i believe it does help but I get 100 geletian pills 50 doses for under $10.