PDA

View Full Version : Low manipulation Question- HOw often do you comb and brush your hair

inches411
April 12th, 2008, 06:22 AM
hey guys

just wondering how often you guys comb and brush your hair. I heard too much manipulation can cause some uneccesary hair loss. I personally cant do it but i would like to hear from you guys.

thanks.

Lamb
April 12th, 2008, 07:01 AM
I don't think it causes hair loss, unless you are shedding anyway. But it does cause breakage and frizz, especially with curly/wurly hair. My hair is only a 3a but it looks best when I don't take a comb to it all day long, only arrange it with my fingers when necessary.

Lady Godiva
April 12th, 2008, 07:07 AM
My hair gets fully detangled about once every two-to-three days. Especially fine and/or curly hair are prone to suffer from too much manipulation. I have fine hair, so I don't want it manhandled a lot, so it's in updos most of the time, which not only keeps it from getting tangled and then needing detangling, but updos keep my hair from catching in other things, which also can cause damage.

Elfling
April 12th, 2008, 07:29 AM
I'm trying for combings two-three times a day with a wide toothed horn comb. Once in the morning after getting up, then it gets bunned; once in the evening after I take it down and before I braid it for bed. I do tend to wear it down around the house on the weekends so I may comb it once or twice just to make it lay down.

ale
April 12th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Well, it depends..usually I brush it, maybe, once a week; I love the waves that my bun-drying leaves, so I avoid brushing after washes. I mainly brush my hair when they're a little oily, so the natural oils are somewhat spread through the length. Does this make sense?

OhioLisa
April 12th, 2008, 07:44 AM
I wash every other day to every third day. My hair gets combed once after each washing. Other than that, I just fingercomb to put my hair into updos and such.

HollowHannah
April 12th, 2008, 07:59 AM
When I first started growing my hair, I was ripping through it with a brush seven or eight times a day even when it was wet! A wise woman told me that I was doing no favours to my hair so now I brush it in the morning, stick it in a plait (braid for anyone who isn't english) all day then comb it out before I go to bed. It doesn't tangle as easy that way because i have fine hair thats prone to tangles.

Peggy E.
April 12th, 2008, 08:07 AM
I comb the leave-in conditioner through my hair with a wide-toothed comb following the once-a-week washing (sometimes more frequent in warmer weather - we're having a blizzard right now, so that's a long ways off....).

I wear my hair up every day, so brush it in the morning to get it up. I have an MP brush that does minimal damage to my hair and this is the only time it is brushed.

When I take my hair down in the evening, I don't mess with it at all. I really have noticed far fewer splits and frizz issues since cutting back so much on combing and brushing.

Combing is sort of useless for me, my hair is just too soft and fine.

Requiax
April 12th, 2008, 08:27 AM
I used to go weeks without combing. Now that I own found some good combs, I comb before washing and usually again after it's fully dry to get all the shed hair out. The only part of my hair that really gets tangles is the nape and the parts that rub my back.

jojo
April 12th, 2008, 10:32 AM
about 3 times a day which is probably too much, i need to just finger comb in between washes as another poster does.

1nuitblanche
April 12th, 2008, 10:46 AM
I brush <1 per day. I can go weeks without brushing. I comb to part it, so ~1 time per day, plus after brushing to make it lay right.

willowcandra
April 12th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Once a day for me. Twice if I need to take down an updo and braid for sleep.

If I wore my hair loose I shudder to think how many times I would do it.

prosperina
April 12th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Once in the morning with a horn comb. Sometimes during the weekend, if I want to redo a hair do, I comb it again, but that's only on the weekend as my hair stays up all day at work/school. If I'm not too tired, I'll comb it out before bed.

Kunzang
April 12th, 2008, 11:01 AM
I comb in the shower twice a week (with conditioner) with seamless wide-tooth comb. When dry, I mostly use a wide-toothed comb, then an up-do for the rest of the day. I brush with a paddle brush 3X week to remove dead hair.

DiyaC
April 12th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Twice or thrice a day. And hey, I didn't know combing often caused damage. In fact, since I have fly-away hair, combing leaves it looking shinier and neater.

Riot Crrl
April 12th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Detangle with wide tooth comb wet with conditioner in: most every day.

Brush: never, any more.

When I used to brush, I tried to be really careful about it, but a LOT more hair came out than it does now.

Shypii90
April 12th, 2008, 11:26 AM
I don't think it causes hair loss, unless you are shedding anyway. But it does cause breakage and frizz, especially with curly/wurly hair. My hair is only a 3a but it looks best when I don't take a comb to it all day long, only arrange it with my fingers when necessary.

Yep, I agree with you there. My hair's nearly a 3b so brushes are mainly out of the question, the breakage they cause is painful!! And combs are used only rarely after washing with conditioner, even though then it's a piece of cake to comb my curly-when-dry hair. Otherwise, fingers are my best friend :P

PseudoScot
April 12th, 2008, 11:29 AM
I shower comb [hair full of condish to make it really slippery] and finger comb in the shower.

Other than that, I will comb it a time or two [never counted] but always with a wide toothed comb or wide-bristle ouchless brush. My hair is prone to tangling [length and type] but I have it up most of the time.

Sometimes I will even just comb the top and if it's being wet bunned not bother combing the rest. In a bun it's not real obvious I haven't combed the hair. :)

peachy.pudding
April 12th, 2008, 11:56 AM
I comb once every morning and it stays good till i sleep on it. I have straight hair, my daughter has curly hair and hers gets combed every 2 days

nienna42
April 12th, 2008, 12:13 PM
I have fine hair and notice far less damage when I minimize handling. I normally smooth my hair out with a boar bristle brush in the morning and maybe finger comb it a little bit. Then it gets put in a braid or updo to keep it from tangling. I do a proper detangling a couple of times a week.

Kirin
April 12th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Daily. I comb whenever my hair looks like it needs it/gets stringy or i just plain feel like it. I bbb every night, about fifty strokes through it, just because i like to. LOL. Against wisdom, likely..... i just really like doing it, and i notice my hair getting better with the nightly brush, than without.

Naluin
April 12th, 2008, 01:11 PM
I don't brush. I use a wide-toothed comb up to 3-4 times a week, but I only use it in the shower to detangle after I've fingercombed. I also fingercomb/message/preen on a daily basis.

Leisa
April 12th, 2008, 01:26 PM
I have fine wavy hair and it tangles easily.

I brush it about once every 2-3 days with a wooden brush after finger combing to remove tangles. Daily, I will fingercomb it ONLY when dry.

I will use a brush to smooth the top of my head if needed when dry for updoos.

This is what some people advise so thats what I do. I think my hair has MUCH less breakage owing to this benign routine.

I used to always comb my hair wet but its really not advised, especially by Indian hair care methods. Its best to let it dry before handling it or you can damage the cuticle. Also wet hair breaks more easily.

If you are going for the longest hair you can grow, as I am, then its best to start a benign program now.:cheese:

Melisande
April 12th, 2008, 01:33 PM
I don't brush. I use a wide toothed comb once or twice a day. In the mornings, before I bun, and if necessary, in the evenings, before I mist, oil, massage and bun the hair for the night.

If possible, I fingercomb. I try to handle my hair as little as possible. My hair is not prone to tangling.

lorig713
April 12th, 2008, 04:16 PM
I keep the same single braid for 2 to 3 days at a time so it only gets combed (very gently) 2 to 3 times a week. I attribute the good health/condition of my hair, in large part, to not bothering it too much (i.e. combing, touching, styling, etc.).

AJoifulNoise
April 12th, 2008, 04:30 PM
I do some type of wash 6 days a week. My hair gets combed before the wash and afterwards when my hair is dry. I also comb it before bed.

I brush to smooth back my hair for updos and to spread oils when I am doing a heavy oiling.

Nevermore
April 12th, 2008, 04:45 PM
I comb my hair out in the morning, bbb it for however many strokes I think I need and put it up. I comb it to put it in a going-out-must-look-decent updo and after I take it out. I comb and bbb at night as well.

It's probably somewhere between four and 6 times a day and doesn't do any harm. I'd say, with my hair being layer-y (and therefore unable to stay braided decently for a whole day/night) prevents major tangles and the subsequent detangling and unpleasantness.

Angela_Rose
April 12th, 2008, 06:13 PM
i run a comb through once, and since i'm fidgety, i fingercomb a few times during the day, then the hair usually gets combed through again at night before it is braided, unless it's been in a good braid all day and can be left there overnight.

Starr
April 12th, 2008, 06:54 PM
I use a wide tooth comb, after fingercombing, with a head full of conditioner to detangle 1-2x a week. After that my hair is up so there's no need to comb. Every so often I'll brush in my leave in, in the shower with my Denman D3 (comby type brush)- it gives my great curl definition, but it's only when I'm going somewhere and plan on wearing my hair down. And of course since I never go anywhere, I hardly ever wear my hair down, and so I hardly ever brush.

freznow
April 12th, 2008, 07:34 PM
I'm surprised at how many don't comb often! If I don't comb at least once a day (and that's if I keep it in the same cooperative updo all day and immediately take it down carefully and braid it at night) and more often twice or thrice, once for my updo of the day, then again if I take it down, and again before bed. If I don't, the tangles that appear within minutes of it not being contained compress and make it so much worse the next time around. So I don't know which causes more damage. (Finger combing just triples the amount of tangles)

Again, I'm surprised at how many of you only comb every two or three days or less! I can almost never get away with that.

Suldrun
April 12th, 2008, 10:17 PM
freznow I'm with you ( I need to get my bottom in gear and type my hair:D)
my hair seems to tangle easily even when slippery. I've tried to leave a braid in for one day and a night and by the next morning It was crazy tangled and very hard to get out. I do much better with detangling in the morning, putting it up and detangling before bed and braiding it. This seems to keep the little tangles from becoming full blown knots.

I have not brushed in a month and I don't have a comb so I just detangle with my fingers. I sometimes think that this makes my tangles worse so I am looking to get a wood comb soon.

capelli lunghi
April 12th, 2008, 10:34 PM
I rarely comb/brush my hair at all with anything besides my fingers.. and even that is every few days or so.. or when I want to take photos or before a wash. My hair doesn't tangle in updo.. and I don't wear it down when I'm moving around a lot of if I'm outside in the wind... I take it down from an updo.. run my hand over my length and then put it up in another updo. I'd say I either comb or brush my hair an average of 2 or 3 times a week.. if that. It works for me! lol

Shanarana
April 12th, 2008, 11:28 PM
At least once a day for me, if not a comb through, than a "pick" through. I always comb it out after a wash and put my oils in. Since my new found love for coconut oil I've been combing a bit more during the day because I'm just loving the shine. I'm sure that will wear off soon and I won't be combing as much. I also never brush, always comb.

countryhopper
June 3rd, 2010, 08:00 AM
bump :)

I have hair that likes to go stringy on its own minutes after brushing it.

If I leave it loose, I'd brush it, well, frequently. No, frequently isn't even the right word. More like obsessively. So it's better for me to wear it up. My protective updos are more to protect my hair from me than from other things.

BritishBraider
June 3rd, 2010, 08:30 AM
I brush mine about twice a day with a wide tooth comb, I've noticed less breakage than when I just brushed it...

JenniferNoel
June 3rd, 2010, 08:31 AM
I comb with a pick comb once a day, and not for very long. I also comb it just a little before pitting it in bed time braids under my head scarf.

Loreley
June 3rd, 2010, 08:34 AM
I comb it several times a day and brush it about 3-4 times a week.

mira-chan
June 3rd, 2010, 10:01 AM
I don't brush at all. I comb on rare occasions. Otherwise I finger comb as needed.

My hair is coarse and not tangly and any shed hairs usually come up with finger combing or during a wash, once a week. All combing did was break up the wave formation making the hair look fluffy.

teela1978
June 3rd, 2010, 10:06 AM
I comb in the shower with conditioner, and usually after towel drying it... usually I won't do anything beyond fingercombing until my next shower... unless I'm taking pictures for LHC, or going out with it down (e.g. to an event of some sort) then I'll comb it out :)

Usually it just gets shoved into a bun, and my hair doesn't really need to be brushed/combed for that. A little fingercombing goes a long way for me.

feralnature
June 3rd, 2010, 10:29 AM
I use a wide, wide tooth comb (like for horses) when I condition in the shower. That's it.

Deborah
June 3rd, 2010, 10:39 AM
I brush once or twice per day, using either a wooden pin brush or a Tangle Teezer.

loralie
June 3rd, 2010, 10:49 AM
The only time I comb or brush is after a shower, when my hair is full of leave in conditioner. I detangle with my fingers first, then wide toothed comb, then brush. I don't mess with it until I wash it again.

Henrietta
June 3rd, 2010, 11:11 AM
I brush once a day, before sleeping, with BBB. When my hair is oily or when I want to relax, I give my hair a good BBB brushing, probably every 5 days or more often if I feel I need this or my hair needs this.
And I comb with wide tooth comb few times a day, when I am making an updo or re-making it. About 2 or 3 times.
I also comb wet hair, with wide tooth comb. Every 5 days.

I didn't notice bigger hair loss.

*Aoife*
June 3rd, 2010, 03:49 PM
I comb in the shower when my hair is loaded with conditioner. Then I'll comb the hairs on my scalp and finger comb the length when I'm putting up my hair. I sometimes use my bodyshop brush to spread sebum down my length if I do a head massage. I finger comb, comb then brush before I get into the shower again.

HairColoredHair
June 3rd, 2010, 04:01 PM
Once a day when it's unbraided (but up in a bun), and once every other/every three days when it's braided (and in a bun).

Athena's Owl
June 3rd, 2010, 08:20 PM
I do not brush or comb my hair unless i'm detangling it in the shower, distributing leave-in, curl creme, and gel through my freshly washed hiar, or if I'm dry styling my hair into braids or buns.

I wear my hair curly and loose the first two or three days after a wash. in warm weather, I wash my hair every three or four days, in order to re-style it. In winter, I wash my hair once a week or every other week, and dry style it into braids or buns after the first two or three days after a wash.

Aurielle
June 3rd, 2010, 09:14 PM
I currently comb my hair once in the morning (or afternoon if I don't need to go anywhere where I have to look presentable) after unbraiding my slept-on hair and once at night before I re-braid it for bed. If I wash my hair that day, I comb it before the wash and after it dries.

I really think I should try just finger-combing though. I've noticed that with my comb, lately I get too impatient and end up breaking hair even though I try to be gentle. Plus, my good comb broke and the new one I have is bulky and annoying.

ibleedlipstick
June 3rd, 2010, 10:02 PM
I use a Body Shop wide-tooth wooden comb on my hair 1-3 times a day. It is still short, so it needs that additional help to make it look smooth. I will probably cut back the longer it gets, but at this point it has to be combed at least once a day or I look unkempt.

IcarusBride
June 3rd, 2010, 10:08 PM
I have very thin hair that sheds like crazy no matter what. I comb with a Yak Horn comb twice per day, when switching from updo (day) to braid (night).

starla_zero
June 5th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Most days, I brush it before I wash and while I'm blowdrying to straighten it. Other than that, I just leave it to do whatever it feels like :D
My fringe needs a bit more attention, that usually gets touch-ups with a boxwood comb throughout the day.

*Helen*
June 6th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Once a day or sometimes more,I heard that too much brushing is bad for hair.It makes sense :D

LoversLullaby
June 6th, 2010, 01:28 PM
I finger comb it as much as I can. I have a wide toothed comb that I use to get it into updos if I can't get it to look right with just finger combing it up.

Darya
June 6th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Brush? Never
Comb? Probably about twice per week. I do re-comb just the scalp hair when re-doing updos for smoothness. If I didn't soak my length in leave-in condish, I wouldn't be able to get away with it but all combing seems to lead to breakage or damage no matter how gentle I am.

Naamah
June 6th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Once or twice a day I comb it with a wide tooth comb. I never brush it. I only use a brush to smooth back my hair when putting it up, it never touches my length.

kira33
June 18th, 2010, 06:52 AM
My hair is usually pretty tangly upon waking (maybe I should sleep with it in a braid?) so I have to brush every morning. I also brush a lot before washing (every other day) to get all the tangles out. Once out of the shower, I part and comb the top of my hair before putting it in a low ponytail. I just purchased a wide tooth comb and am going to try to detangle in the shower with conditioner instead of brushing. My hair gets very frizzy when I brush, but it never really mattered much to me because I always wear it braided or up:-)

Cheeks1206
June 18th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Generally I comb once in the shower with condish for detangling. When I braid my hair (like I have all this week) I comb again to smooth things out. Other than that I don't dotoomuch else to my hair as far as combing/brushing.

greyTraveler
June 18th, 2010, 08:56 AM
I pretty new here, and didn't have much of an idea of good hair care until about a month ago. Before that I would brush 1-2 times per day, and in addition always before and after a shower (where I never used conditioner).

Now I finger comb when I would have brushed, unless I have a cow-lick I just can't get down -- then I'll brush just there by my scalp.

I get most of the loose hair removed when I finger comb thoroughly with the conditioner in -- my main reason for coming here in the first place was to prevent shedding all over the house (and my car, and my cubicle at work, ...). I find I'm loosing much less hair: a few hairs each time a finger comb, a fair bit in the shower, but even that is much less than it used to be.

Tiina
June 18th, 2010, 09:34 AM
A thorough combing in the morning, a little detangling and (if my hair has been down all day [not very often]) brushing before nightbraid. And on washdays I comb my hair under running water to detangle.

I only own a widetooth comb so its not as bad as it may sound. :)