PDA

View Full Version : I created a hair decoration........out of my OWN hair!

ericthegreat
July 16th, 2009, 04:02 AM
This is a neat little accent braid I created all with my own shed hair strands. It makes the perfect little decoration now don't you think?

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3493&pictureid=44749

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3493&pictureid=44750

Flowerfairy
July 16th, 2009, 04:16 AM
Wow that is so cool :D And it's so nice and thick!

I actually thought about doing that once, making little extension braids of my own hair and then wear them for special occasions. Great that you actually did that!

xx FF

Deimos
July 16th, 2009, 04:28 AM
Wow, that is pretty cool! You have pretty nails too btw ^^

ericthegreat
July 16th, 2009, 04:37 AM
I collected all the hair that would normally clog my drain, cleaned out all the brushes I've ever used, and literally acted like a vacuum cleaner to the floor all around my house picking up every strand I found lying there. So yeah even after all that work I was still only able to gather just enough hair for this little accent braid. Its clear that making a full wig out of all my hair is several months off maybe even over a year into the future!

Oh and I eat super healthy, all organic veggies, fruits, fish and eggs. Plus I also drink milk as often as I can remember to and eat lots of cheese, so my nails are a direct product of my calcium intake. I do manicure them of course. :D

templeofvenus
July 16th, 2009, 04:50 AM
wow super cool! you can buy these plaits here in the uk they are on elastic like a hairband but made of false hair! you have the best idea making your own :D

swanns
July 16th, 2009, 04:59 AM
How cool! I tried this once, but simply couldn't figure out how to braid all of the hair, the strands just kept getting tangled with each other and were a million different lenghts :confused:

Charlotte
July 16th, 2009, 05:00 AM
Oh my goodness!!! That's absolutely amazing!!! :cheese:

Cindi Eponabri
July 16th, 2009, 05:05 AM
Wow, you must have a lot of patience....

embee
July 16th, 2009, 05:05 AM
Very nice! You need a Hair Receiver to keep the sheds in Then you can gather them as they happen and have them safe for future projects. :)

http://www.go-star.com/antiquing/hairreceivers.htm

Ryanne
July 16th, 2009, 05:18 AM
That sounds like a lot of work, but it looks rewarding. Really awesome, especially since it's your hair!

3azza
July 16th, 2009, 05:29 AM
wow, i always wanted a braid like this to wrap around my head like a band, very cool...

ilovelonghair
July 16th, 2009, 06:10 AM
I was going to do the same, but in half a year I still had a tiny strand! The hardest part is: how to make the top bit stay together? I was going to use some kind of glue and glue it on a little toupet clip, but not sure if that would work. The idea was to braid it afterwards and sew tiny beads into the braid.

SHELIAANN1969
July 16th, 2009, 06:15 AM
Woah.....that's super, I love it! Recycling at it's finest! :cheese:

Your nails do look great, I have to cut mine off when they get the slightest bit of growth, they bother me while I am working on the computer. :(

But yours are so purttttty!

ZadenWillowfyre
July 16th, 2009, 06:45 AM
That is quite creative! A neat way to put those shed hairs to use!

Anje
July 16th, 2009, 07:07 AM
I've seen other folks saving their hair... Dianyla has apparently been at it for a while -- she's got pictures of these gorgeous braids of shed hair in her album.

ericthegreat
July 16th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Ilovelonghair, its very easy. I simply double taped good old regular scotch tape into a circle leaving the sticky side out of course. I stick the roots of my hair strands onto the scotch tape and when that piece of tape gets filled up with my hair I simply fold the entire piece of scotch tape in half, sealing all of my hair into the tape. This accent braid took about 6 full pieces of scotch tape, and each piece of scotch tape was maybe 4 inches long when I double taped it.

~GypsyCurls~
July 16th, 2009, 10:59 AM
OMG wow! That something useful to make out of shed hairs :) You made your own hair extension, that's pretty neat. Off topic, your nails are awesome.

Spike
July 16th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Fun! :cool:

Now you've got me thinking . . . somewhere in all the piles I have a book on creating Victorian hair jewelry--or rather, jewelry out of hair.

When someone died, the immediate family might cut a "memory lock" and make a pin from Grandmother's (Sister's, Aunt's) hair as a memento.

My hair is turning from red-brown to silver. Might be nice to have a little pin in the old color to go with great-great-grandmother's cameo.

ladylibra
July 16th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Wow! That would take too much patience for me, but it came out great. :D

Fractalsofhair
July 16th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Ooo That looks cool! I wish I had the patience to do that!

Moonstruck
July 16th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Haha very cool - I'm working on my own right now.

And funny thing - I always get comments about my long nails - they nearly refuse to cut sometimes with normal nail clippers. I always have to trim them after a shower or bath when they're softer. My parents are the same way. Maybe that's how it is for East Asians with super coarse hair and really good diets? I'm a big fan of fresh dairy and fish and LOTS of organic vegetables.

zen_oven
July 16th, 2009, 06:37 PM
That's pretty cool!

eyesofsummer
July 16th, 2009, 09:26 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=23616'

Here's a thread where other people have done this! I think it's genius, but I've tried to do it with my sheds and just end up with tangles :(

Your braid looks awesome, Ericthegreat!

EDIT: Ericthegreat, I just went to browse the link I posted, and I see that you already have been there! Ah well, I'll leave the link anyway...maybe someone else will be inspired! :D

ilovelonghair
July 16th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Ilovelonghair, its very easy. I simply double taped good old regular scotch tape into a circle leaving the sticky side out of course. I stick the roots of my hair strands onto the scotch tape and when that piece of tape gets filled up with my hair I simply fold the entire piece of scotch tape in half, sealing all of my hair into the tape. This accent braid took about 6 full pieces of scotch tape, and each piece of scotch tape was maybe 4 inches long when I double taped it.

What is scotch tape?

This is an old thread about uses for shed hairs (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=4730&highlight=shed+hairs) I started ages ago. There were heaps of other things people do with them.

Oh and I checked Dianyla's pictures and she ties the hair off with thread, but would it stay like that. I'm going to try the glue gun!

ericthegreat
July 16th, 2009, 11:17 PM
This is scotch tape

http://www.theartistsdepot.com/images/Site_Ready/adhesives/C40.jpg

ilovelonghair
July 16th, 2009, 11:37 PM
Oh that stuff! Thanks :)

nowxisxforever
July 16th, 2009, 11:59 PM
I'll have to try to do this. God knows I end up pulling full-length strands off of myself and out of my clothing often enough, I might as well do something with them. Currently I stretch them out and go "Wow, what long hair I have," think about how cool that is for a moment that it's my own hair and it's so flippin' long, then twirl them around my thumb and forefinger or forefinger and middle finger in a 'figure 8' and then snap them in half, throw away.

I don't know why I do the 'figure 8 then snap' thing. Quirk.