PDA

View Full Version : My hair hates me

BunnyBee
July 16th, 2009, 02:36 AM
I'm getting more depressed by the minute. Just combed and counted 220 hairs in my hand :( I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. I stopped using sulfates, no cones, all I use is CV bars, ACV and catnip rinses, with oiling every now and then (which makes my hair fall out more it seems). All the hairs I looked at were from the roots, no splits at all. So, what, am I going bald?
Just to clarify, this is not exactly a new development, I've been losing this many hairs at a time for a while, I just tried to ignore it and hope my "treating it better" would make it stop. It's been so long now, I don't know what to do :(

Someone please tell me where I'm going wrong :sad

Melisande
July 16th, 2009, 02:50 AM
I would suspect an underlying problem, health or nutrition related. Switching cosmetic products can't heal a problem with tyroids, iron levels or other known roots of hairfall. I would go to a doctor and tell him about it. More than 100 hairs a day over a long stretch of time is definitely a reason to look for medical help.

EvaSimone
July 16th, 2009, 02:51 AM
I doubt you are doing anything wrong. Everyone goes through shedding periods but they don't usually last for a long time. Maybe a few weeks at most.

Since your shedding has been ongoing I would go to the doctor and get checked for a vitamin, mineral or iron deficiency.

I went through a terrible shed and went to the doctor and it turned out I was very anemic.

manderly
July 16th, 2009, 03:17 AM
I've been meaning to post photos of my shower hairballs because of people like you who are concerned about hairloss :(

I lose TONS of hair, so much that I often wonder how I can still manage to have hair on my head. I think a lot of people are scared when they start to take notice of something they may not have paid much attention to before.

Unless you feel like your hair is actually thinning, I don't think you're in any danger :grouphug:

Tell me, are you washing less often? I have to remind myself the hair in my shower is 2-3 days worth of shed hairs that were stuck :) Pre-LHC we are usually used to only 1-2 days worth.

Monsterkitti
July 16th, 2009, 03:41 AM
If you are stretching your washing Manderly could be right, I wash weekly and only finger comb and wow I loose like a hamster size ball of hair every time, scary but I think pretty normal :)

If not then maybe it is something to get checked out, you sound like your doing all the right things so maybe going to get a check up and at least elimminate the possbility of a health/nutrition issue is a good idea. HTH :)

jojo
July 16th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Shed can also look more due to an increase in length.

I am shedding a load at the moment but mine is due to a crappy year.

spidermom
July 16th, 2009, 06:22 PM
I have seen a lot of people who use shampoo bars/soap to wash their hair complain about increased shedding. Bars tend to be alkaline, hair and scalp prefer products to be more on the acid side. In my mind, better to stay with pH balanced products rather than relying on ACV to re-establish the acid balance. Why disturb that balance in the first place?

(but that's just my way of thinking)

Whatever is causing this, I truly hope it stops soon. Then you'll get to look forward to sporting tons of sticky-up newly grown hairs.

Oh - and keep oil away from your scalp; use it on the ends. I only use oil on the bottom 2/3 of my hair, relying on natural sebum to lubricate the area nearer my scalp.

Laurel32
July 16th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Sometimes changes in routine cause shedding. I know for me when I started the CO method I started shedding a lot more than usual. :eek: If this persists I would try getting a doctors advice.

Best wishes. :)

maria_tasha
July 17th, 2009, 02:24 AM
I'm in a shedding period too. I can find hair all over my house, my office chair, everywhere. Maybe your hair loss is due to stress or something in your diet. Whem I was in a stressful period having to take several exams in a short period of time my hair was shedding like crazy.

Heidi_234
July 17th, 2009, 02:48 AM
First of all, do not stress yourself over that. Second of all, I have to second the comments above me on this. If you comb your hair once is a while then shedding this much is normal. If it's product related - you might have an allergy to one of the soaps or the oils you use. Try to cut out one of them and see if it helps.
Also, shed can be caused by stressing situation you've gone though months ago. It could be that something happened, and now you see the shedding. It's not fine, but it in the range of normal, and you have nothing to do with it but to bear with it.
And yes, health problem, hormonal abnormality or poor nutrition are The causes for hair loss. Have you been dieting lately? Lost alot of weight or cut out whole types of food from your menu? You might be missing essentials, which affects your hair growth. I hope you're fine though. :flower:
If you're fine, and healthy, maybe it's just seasonal shedding, and it should subside soon.

Lozzie
July 17th, 2009, 04:17 AM
Changing medications or stopping them altogether causes hair problems as we all know. I recently stopped BC pill and ive lost so much hair in the shower, long root to top hairs in the same area too.. really depressing seeing as my hair is pretty fine anyway. Booking a doctors appointment (which is what im planning on doing) really is a good idea as they can run tests which could determine hormonal issues. Hang in there hun, it sucks but it will get better.

bikerblue
July 17th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Hi BunnyBee

So sorry to hear that. We have similiar hair types and I've found if i do a heavy oiling with coconut oil my hair sheds loads! I now do deeep treatments with SMT and just use a little bit of oil as a leave in and this helps a lot with the shedding problem.

BunnyBee
July 17th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Thanks for all the replies everyone :) Feeling a bit better today. I'm gonna try and get a doc's appointment for monday morning and see what they say.

[quote=Lozzie;680325]Changing medications or stopping them altogether causes hair problems as we all know.quote]

I actually stopped taking any medications because I was too paranoid about my hair :rolleyes: Probably not too clever but I don't want to make it any worse.

Vrushali
July 17th, 2009, 10:57 AM
I suspect a nutrition/health issue. Also, stress leads to hairfall, so that maybe another reason?

Cherry_Sprinkle
July 17th, 2009, 11:03 AM
I'll second all the comments before me. I'd start taking a multivitamin, eat as healthy as I can, and do what everyone else has suggested, and if it didn't improve, a visit to the dr. :flower: good luck!