PDA

View Full Version : Love braid waves, hate hair in natural state

pdy2kn6
July 15th, 2009, 11:47 PM
Does anyone else love their hair when it has braid waves in it, but then hate the look of it when it is just air dried and in its natural state? I hate the way my hair looks when it is drying after wash, which makes me have a massive debate whether I should do a bit chop of the end or not, however the next day when I have got braid waves in it, I absolutely love my hair and the style of it all. The braid waves make my hair have really nice waves and nice soft fairytale ends, much better than the slightly layered ends curving inwards style of my natural hair. I really hate my hair in its natural state because it has wierd layers, braids are so good at disguising these.

DragonLady
July 15th, 2009, 11:50 PM
I used to feel that way. I didn't like my hair at all unless I'd done a dozen things to it. But since I've been here and gotten my hair healthier I've learned to love it just the way it is. I think accepting it is just part of the "treatment".

Dementia1013
July 15th, 2009, 11:53 PM
I seldom see my hair in it's 'natural state' anymore. I'm so used to bunning it or braiding it or just doing 'something' to it taht the only time it's au natural is when it's drying... I'm not too fond of it then, because of the frizzy flyaways i get from No Cones.

Heidi_234
July 16th, 2009, 12:26 AM
I actually dislike my braidwaves, it forms my hair into this really weird flat zigzag "curls". But to your question, it's not really fair for me to answer as my hair is most influenced by how I keep it for the few hours after a wash, or up until it's 100% dry. It can go from relaxed 2b-2c waves to tight straight cork screw curls depending on that. It's like my hair doesn't have a "natural state". :p

BroknRechord
July 16th, 2009, 01:13 AM
I'm actually much more of a curl than wave person, at least in braid format. Most braid waves are far too even for my taste, my natural "whatever" is far more appealing. However, rope braid curls are WAY nicer than my natural movement.

Chanterelle
July 16th, 2009, 01:43 AM
I hate my hair in its natural look just after washing when air dried. Can't say I love braid waves much better, though. So yeah, blowdrier is my best friend.

Elainehali
July 16th, 2009, 01:49 AM
Nope I'm your opposite!

Straight hair is fine by me, because it's easy to detangle. Braid waves however look goofy on me. I can't get them right.

Have you tried ragg curls?

Calista
July 16th, 2009, 02:06 AM
I donŽt like braid waves on myself - the waves are much too uniform, and the scalp hair and the tassel remain straight. :no: I also used to hate my natural 2a waves - I never thought of them as waves but as unkempt looking hair. It took me a long time after joining LHC to start liking my own hairtype. I still think really straight hair is very beautiful.

cockerspaniel9
July 16th, 2009, 02:31 AM
I do like the braid waves, but I think my hair looks so much shorter than it really is :D hehe. Maybe IŽll enjoy the waves more when my hair is longer?:p

Isa-belle
July 16th, 2009, 02:47 AM
Ha, I like both :) I love this ability we have to totally change the aspect of our hair by merely braiding it when damp.
Personally, braid waves make my hair look somewhat pre-Raphaelite, and I like the way the change reflects on my whole appearance.

Aditi
July 16th, 2009, 03:17 AM
Not a fan of braid waves as it does not look good on my hair, but i agree with you that i dislike my hair after washing when its totally dry in its natural state, they looks as if they are dry and frizzy and are hard to maintain.

Fethenwen
July 16th, 2009, 03:18 AM
I absolutely love them! I have now learned how to make really nice waves, and I don't like wearing my hair down if I haven't got waves in them anymore. Especially the waves after rope braids.
My hair is about collar bone length, so it curves in weird directions and my layers look awful if I just wear it straight.

swanns
July 16th, 2009, 03:56 AM
I can't stand my hair in it's natural state :rant: It curls up pretty tight at the front but then the back just looks like I didn't brush it for weeks, really coarse and kind of trying to look wavy but not quite managing it. I don't do braidwaves though. I usually wash it in the evening, then let it airdry for a few hours, then apply my usual coconut oil and aloe vera gel, braid it for the night then put it in a bun in the morning. Bun waves are what I like if I'm going to wear it down (which isn't that often though) :)

Nera
July 16th, 2009, 04:25 AM
I don't like braidwaves too much. It stretches out my natural curl, and makes my ends look really dry.

Bianca
July 16th, 2009, 04:52 AM
I dont like braid waves... Prefer it natural :)

Charlotte
July 16th, 2009, 05:04 AM
I love braid waves simply because they make my fine hair look twice as thick. :)

patience
July 16th, 2009, 06:41 AM
I love braid waves simply because they make my fine hair look twice as thick. :)

Me too!!
:)

ZadenWillowfyre
July 16th, 2009, 07:55 AM
I kinda like the length of my hair with braidwaves but once I get to the ends that wern't braided, it looks a bit odd to me but I do love curls!

camirra555
July 16th, 2009, 08:19 AM
I don't hate my hair in it's natural state but I much prefer braid waves. I always dry my hair over night in about 6 braids after a wash. I find they lengthen the appearance of my curls. Now that it's summer I do a few wash and gos from time to time

Anje
July 16th, 2009, 10:31 AM
I'm OK with braid waves, but I like the soft waves I get naturally, too.

pdy2kn6, have you tried drying your hair in braids, perhaps even french-braided? The waves might last longer, and you would get them nearly full-time. (Two french braids is great for waves all through the hair. Not sure whether you want to run around with that 'do, but I know you're bold about what styles you wear. Could modify it so the two french braids fuze into one at the nape, or something similarly unusual, if it suits you.)

lundmir
July 16th, 2009, 11:29 AM
I love my straight hair, but if I want something different I'll braid my hair. It gives me a lot of volume!

RancheroTheBee
July 16th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Braid waves make my ends stick out, and they never stay in. I really used to hate my natural texture, but I've learned to be very pleased with it (probably because I started treating it better and it no longer looks like iron wool on my head. Yay!)

sweet*things
July 16th, 2009, 12:38 PM
I don't care for braid waves, mostly because of the frizzy looking ends, but I love bun waves.:crush:

pdy2kn6
July 16th, 2009, 12:54 PM
pdy2kn6, have you tried drying your hair in braids, perhaps even french-braided? The waves might last longer, and you would get them nearly full-time. (Two french braids is great for waves all through the hair. Not sure whether you want to run around with that 'do, but I know you're bold about what styles you wear. Could modify it so the two french braids fuze into one at the nape, or something similarly unusual, if it suits you.)

lol, I have never properly tried drying my hair with braids, I bet them waves would be incredible. I never wear my hair dry apart from when it is soaking wet and drying from the wash, but when I sleep in a single braid at night, I love the way my hair looks in the morning. I have tried the two braids before, would never wear it in public lol, but I know exactly what you mean, it gives great waves. Ill definately try the drying with braids method though :)

spidermom
July 16th, 2009, 12:55 PM
I went through a period while in college when I always braided after washing, let my hair dry, then brushed it out to make make my hair as full and big as possible. I don't know what got into me (it was the 1970s)! But no harm done.

Enjoy your braid waves.