PDA

View Full Version : Scalp Residue?

bahannas
July 15th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Lately my scalp has been sort of itchy. It's not ongoing, just kinda random. When I scratch it lightly, I notice that I get an odd thick residue under my fingernails. It looks like a combination of sebum and skin flakes but I really can't tell. Also, whenever I get my hair wet, I notice these teeny tiny "balls" around my roots. Can anyone tell me what this may be and suggest any rinses/treatments?

Sorry, I know it's a bit.... Gross. :D

SimplyViki
July 15th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Me too! No idea what's going on. I seem to be getting little "scalp pimples" too. Wonder if I should go back to daily/every-other-day washing?

bahannas
July 15th, 2009, 08:48 PM
I've always wondered about that weird "acne." I can't tell if they really are pimples or just irritated spots. :l

Peter
July 15th, 2009, 08:53 PM
I get it too. Washing every other day solves the problem but my hair isn't happy with that. I used to wash once a week, now I do it every 5-6 days and I think my scalp is responding well to it.

mira-chan
July 15th, 2009, 09:02 PM
That's wither buildup from any products you use or the water. ACV would help with the water problem.

If it's neither of those then it's what's been called "dry sebum." I get it too. Scalp oiling before wash helps keep it away longer as oil dissolves the sebum. I also oil between washes if it starts getting itchy. That way it dissolved and will move down the length like it is supposed to do.

Dry sebum is either genetic/ hormonal or a deficiency in omega oils. If it's new and sudden onset, try to eat more fish, flax seed oil, etc. or take the equivalent supplement.

Moonstruck
July 15th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Hm, never knew this had a name. I've had it all my life, haha.
I take a lot of pain in making sure I've really thoroughly massaged my head whenever I'm cleaning it, but asides from that, I've just gotten used to it. Scritching sort of helps as well.

Thanks for the info, Mira-chan! I eat fish almost every day, so that probably isn't the issue, but I never did try the scalp oilings.

Gothic Lolita
July 16th, 2009, 12:00 AM
I have this too, as well as my sister. Since our water is pretty good and I rinse with ACV almost every wash, I now realize it could be dry sebum. I might look into fish oil capsules, if they get rid of the gross thing, I'd be grateful. The stuff is itchy and I feel sometimes, as if my head was covered with it and others could see. Euh!

blondecat
July 16th, 2009, 05:44 AM
I've got the 'hereditary' dry Sebum.

Plus very very dry scalp [only need to wash once a fortnight]

Fish oil does help somewhat.

Gothic Lolita
July 16th, 2009, 05:49 AM
One think more to ask:

This is dry sebum, but why the heck have both my sister and me oily hair? I *can* go 2 days between washings, but my hair doesn't look all nice on day 2, my sister absolutely needs to wash every day. We both tried decreasing frequency and also different detergents and methods, but our hair is just oily. Why then having dry sebum?

sweet*things
July 16th, 2009, 06:21 AM
Over the past year I started having trouble with waxy buildup. I had what I would consider a "normal" amount before, but for some reason it started to increase (and itch:rolleyes:). I recently went sulfate-free and it completely stripped that stuff off my scalp. Hopefully it will stay away, but it may just have been a serious clarification, too soon to tell. In any case, it's gone now, so I'm happy! :cheese:

ZadenWillowfyre
July 16th, 2009, 06:41 AM
I would defininately suggest an ACV rince first...it couldn't hurt. If this doesnt work, I would use some oil on your scalp. I prefer E, lavender, and teatree oil. Works wonders in a little mixture.

Evilynn
July 16th, 2009, 07:55 AM
I have the same thing, although I suspect mine's hereditary. *sighs* I'll give the scalp oilings a try though, it can't hurt. ;)

Periwinkle
July 16th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Ahhh, this sounds like someone I know...

I live in an area with hard water. Would that contribute?

How long do you need to leave the oil on the scalp for?

mira-chan
July 16th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Ahhh, this sounds like someone I know...

I live in an area with hard water. Would that contribute?

How long do you need to leave the oil on the scalp for?
Hard water can definitely contribute but, ACV rinses would remove that buildup.

As for the scalp oiling. I'd go with half an hour minimum for best results. I oil a bit with an EO blend and don't wash it out (leave it on for days and just add on as needed). If it's a pre-wash oiling (start with this if you've never scalp oiled before) then the half an hour to overnight is the time range. I'd suggest to start with the shorter time at first. Also make sure you are not allergic to the oil before you use it, via the standard patch test if this is not an edible oil that you've eaten.

ReddishRocks
July 16th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Over the past year I started having trouble with waxy buildup. I had what I would consider a "normal" amount before, but for some reason it started to increase (and itch:rolleyes:). I recently went sulfate-free and it completely stripped that stuff off my scalp. Hopefully it will stay away, but it may just have been a serious clarification, too soon to tell. In any case, it's gone now, so I'm happy! :cheese:
I'm sulfate free myself, and it hasn't cured it for me. :( I may try the fish oil... I've had this buildup pretty much since I hit puberty. It's usually not a problem - I think I'm the only one who notices it (I can guarantee my husband would say something if he noticed it, LOL!).

bahannas
July 17th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Ah, thanks everyone! I think I'll try a few ACV rinses, then some pre-oiling if that doesn't work out. :)

Nightshade
July 17th, 2009, 09:23 AM
I have this too and scalp oiling (I use an oil blend with EOs) and ACV rinsing helps a lot. I do have very alkaline, very hard water.